Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Windows Exchange Device Replace BB

Options
  • 11-01-2014 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Didnt want to create seperate thread in all three phone OS forums and the Mobile forum appears very 'consumery'.

Basically my BB was replaced in work with wait for it.... a samsung galaxy 3 mini. The device is beyond a disappointment and it certainly cannot handle MS exchange interaction on its own email client. having tried K9 and Moxie also ive come to the conclusion that the device is not a business phone. As i had originally had concerns but alas it was purchased for me.

I need a proper alternative to the BB as they will no longer be properly supporting it. The device will have to handle MS exchange and multiple email accounts.

I dont feel the Iphones are up to task as previously looked into their folder handling and it was sporadic to my dislike.

Are Windows Mobile any good ? anyone else have similar experience with this if they can suggest decent alternative options for this.

The device needs to be up to task as im online often.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

no opinions on windows phone ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

listermint wrote: »
    no opinions on windows phone ?

I had a BlackBerry, and I had enough of it. Believe you and me, its randomness for turning itself on and off several times a day was beyond a joke. This was with no apps running.

I have a Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 520), which I find practical. It just works. Don't expect great apps, but it covers email very well. Works great with my Exchange email, and also with IMAP email accounts. Exchange emails come through as they arrive, IMAP emails are checked every 15 minutes, but no shorter. I have a number of email accounts, all work fine.

Battery wise it goes the whole day, well able to do 18 hours with regular use. Don't leave apps running however.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mr. G wrote: »
    I had a BlackBerry, and I had enough of it. Believe you and me, its randomness for turning itself on and off several times a day was beyond a joke. This was with no apps running.

I have a Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 520), which I find practical. It just works. Don't expect great apps, but it covers email very well. Works great with my Exchange email, and also with IMAP email accounts. Exchange emails come through as they arrive, IMAP emails are checked every 15 minutes, but no shorter. I have a number of email accounts, all work fine.

Battery wise it goes the whole day, well able to do 18 hours with regular use. Don't leave apps running however.

Thanks for that,

there is sparse all reviews for Windows from Business Users. Id prefer just to keep my BB Bold as it did exactly what it said on the tin. But that ship as sailed. And i need a phone that actually works effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nipper banks

Hi,
    I reluctantly moved from BB, as their time had passed and they did not have many apps etc. I was recomended a Samsung Galaxy S4. I find this to be excellent. I you are a serious business user the S3 Mini would not be a good option. Currently, android is better than Windows, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Currently, android is better than Windows, in my opinion.

Would argue against that, as the owner of a Galaxy S2 and Android tablet. Unless you get an Android Nexus device you have no guarantee you'll get the latest OS updates, plus the Samsung/HTC custom Android flavours can be buggy. Samsung completely screwed up the S3's recent 4.3 update which caused massive problems for the phone.
    Android is good and I like the fact its open source, but there are stability issues there. I don't know why on my Quad Core/2GB RAM tablet it slows down when syncing or doing app updates. It gets noticeably slow as if its locked up.
    I'll be looking at Windows Phone for my next phone, plus most of the big apps seem to be on WP that I use. Just to add another opinion.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 nipper banks

Thanks Nick.
    Mine is only a pesonal opinion and you seem to be more technically informed than I am.
    All I can say, is that we have now replaced all our BB's in our business with android devices, mostly Samsung and our experience has been very good. We also have a number of iPhones, but our IT people are not fully happy with the security of these. As far as I know, we only have one Windows phone user, and this also is good so far.
    I would be interested in other opinions on this, as we would like to standardise (as far as possible) in future, as having mostly one operating system will make support easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

@listermint, please tell me you're not judging your Android experience on the S3 mini, it's a budget, Samsung Touchwiz crapified molestation of Android. The S3 mini has zero in common with the S3, just shares it's name, it's a budget phone, Android doesn't do well on low power budget phones. You'd have much better success with something more powerful and not as bloated with crap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Windows phones make great email/exchange devices. They work extremely well with exchange, and the on screen keyboard works great for typing emails IMHO.

The app situation wasn't great, but is much better these days, especially for Nokias with some of the exclusive apps they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

..., but our IT people are not fully happy with the security of these. As far as I know, we only have one Windows phone user, and this also is good so far.
    I would be interested in other opinions on this, as we would like to standardise (as far as possible) in future, as having mostly one operating system will make support easier.
    curious to know what security issues are more of an issue in Iphone over an Android phone?

Advertisement