Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting qualplex to plastic toilet fill valve

• 11-01-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have replaced my toiled fill valve (plastic) . The original plumber connected the qualplex to the input of the valve by wrapping a large amount of tape around the valve thread and screwing onto that with a brass connector. I gave a go at replicating this and got a leak. Am I right in thinking that relying on a large amount of tape is probably not the best way? How should I connect my qualplex to the plastic fill value given I can't use a compression connection, or at least don't think I can.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

albob wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have replaced my toiled fill valve (plastic) . The original plumber connected the qualplex to the input of the valve by wrapping a large amount of tape around the valve thread and screwing onto that with a brass connector. I gave a go at replicating this and got a leak. Am I right in thinking that relying on a large amount of tape is probably not the best way? How should I connect my qualplex to the plastic fill value given I can't use a compression connection, or at least don't think I can.

Thanks
    It connected using a 312 which is a brass fitting that screws up on the ball valve using Ptfe tape.
    Another option is to use a isolating swivel connector available in any plumbing merchants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

On the plastic thread of the toilet fill there is no PTFE needed, just a fibre/ rubber washer.

On the plastic pipe end, this is a push fit connector. Put a insert into the end of the pipe and push it onto the plastic pipe. It will seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭albob

Cheers.
    It sounds like lots of tape is the right way do. Not sure how I'm going to get all that tape one cleanly as it's in a very awkward position. Patience I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭albob

KK4SAM, are you suggesting I use a plastic connector to connect my qualplex to the fill valve? I guess the plastic connector would have an o-ring to seal to the gill valve, and the qualplex can be pushed into it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

The problem is that the two thread types are parallel a lot of tape is used to form a taper so it seals.
    A flat washer between the two threaded components is the way to go either fibre of rubber.

Either of the fittings can be used ,Use an insert if using the compression.

http://uel.ie/modules/shop/products/312a-irish-compression-fittings/

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/Pushfit/Female+Coupler+15mm+12+BSP/d20/sd3143/p95406

• Advertisement
Advertisement