Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received a Warning

Options
  • 11-01-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭

I received a warning on the politics thread. I accept the reason for it but what does this mean? Is it no more than a wrap on the knuckles not to do that again or does it have other consequences?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's officially recorded on your profile, but that's it really. You can see it on the infractions tab on your profile page.

Some forums, such as soccer, do issue bans if a certain amount is accrued though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

its a nod from the mods that that behaviour/comment isn't wanted. It might not be directly against the rules but its not acceptable for the community.

An Infraction is "you have done something wrong!" or "we asked you not to do this already"

yellow warnings are recorded but , unless there is an ongoing string of them all for the same reason we (admins / cmods) generally don't pay too much attention. Its the reds and Bans that we really take into account when we have to make a decision that takes the posters background on the site into consideration.

as Spear pointed out though, some forums (I think just Soccer??) have a system where yellows actually accrue and contribute toward a forum ban for a period of time once a certain limit is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It was in the politics thread. It says on my profile that it expires in 10 days so I assume thats the end of it then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You'll still see it after the 10 days (marked as expired) - as will mods / cmods / admins. Other boards members cannot see it.
    As LoLth said, it's nothing to worry about unless you start accumulating lots of them in a short period of time. :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

LoLth wrote: »
    as Spear pointed out though, some forums (I think just Soccer??) have a system where yellows actually accrue and contribute toward a forum ban for a period of time once a certain limit is reached.
    Cycling Adverts have a "totting up" process also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I received a warning on the politics thread. I accept the reason for it but what does this mean? Is it no more than a wrap on the knuckles not to do that again or does it have other consequences?

Wrap on the knuckles sums it up pretty well, I've a couple myself in different forums so not something to get too worried about.

Politics doesn't treat yellows like soccer does, it's a different grading system. As long as there isn't a recurring pattern it'll be forgotten about in time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

is there a reason that forum/sitebans arent shown?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

returnNull wrote: »
    is there a reason that forum/sitebans arent shown?
    Mods/Cmods etc can see ban histories in their modutils page.

Not sure if it was ever a conscious decision to not show them to general users in the basic profile page.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Dades wrote: »
    Not sure if it was ever a conscious decision to not show them to general users in the basic profile page.

I think it's part of the vBulletin set-up, rather than a conscious decision made by people running Boards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Last I recall:

forum and sitebans are part of the permissions system inherent to vBulletin.

The infration system was a separate mechanism added in later.

Hence one is visible, one isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I could have this totally arseways but from memory, forum bans were not included in the vB package that boards ran from early doors until the mid/late-2000s. ecksor hacked the ability to ban from specific forums as a partially integrated feature. IIRC, the interface for managing access masks was previously a lot different and certainly not a vB package.

In fact, I think the new set-up (modutils) is boards.ie-specific and from what I can see, the individual forum ban capabilities on boards.ie are not dependent on the vB platform at all.

On the other hand, the infraction system was a vB add-on. There were (and are) problems with introducing the infractions system to boards.ie because vB is designed for small sites with a handful of forums. That's why all mods can give anyone profile infractions. Until the infractions add-on was hacked to suit boards, there was a period when moderators could infract users' posts in any forum.

As a result of the organic growth of the site, vB had to be hacked to solve many problems through the years due to the limitations of the software and the relative size of the site. Those hacks led to compatibility problems with later versions of vB and other vB-issued add-ons.

The net result is that certain things don't make sense unless you know the above. (Again, I should clarify that I may have imagined all of the above. I drink quite heavily.)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I could have this totally arseways but from memory, forum bans were not included in the vB package that boards ran from early doors until the mid/late-2000s. ecksor hacked the ability to ban from specific forums as a partially integrated feature. IIRC, the interface for managing access masks was previously a lot different and certainly not a vB package.

In fact, I think the new set-up (modutils) is boards.ie-specific and from what I can see, the individual forum ban capabilities on boards.ie are not dependent on the vB platform at all.

On the other hand, the infraction system was a vB add-on. There were (and are) problems with introducing the infractions system to boards.ie because vB is designed for small sites with a handful of forums. That's why all mods can give anyone profile infractions. Until the infractions add-on was hacked to suit boards, there was a period when moderators could infract users' posts in any forum.

As a result of the organic growth of the site, vB had to be hacked to solve many problems through the years due to the limitations of the software and the relative size of the site. Those hacks led to compatibility problems with later versions of vB and other vB-issued add-ons.

The net result is that certain things don't make sense unless you know the above. (Again, I should clarify that I may have imagined all of the above. I drink quite heavily.)

Also, the whole ban history thing wasn't in Ecksor's original hack. All you could see was that someone's permission had changed at some point which doesn't tell you very much (especially in a private forum). The current (at least up to last year when I left) set up of a ban history etc is a different addition again and the result of a lot of developer work from what I remember. There were actually many, many hacks with regard to the ban system with more functionality being added each time. Originally (if memory serves from 10 years ago) there was no way to ban from the forum page, instead you had to go into the access mask and change permissions there and if you misspelled a user's name when entering it it would be a mini-DavGate, and there was no automatic unbanning, you'd have to be unbanned again by the mod which on a busy forum with no way to track via a tool who was banned and when meant that there was a lot of messing about by mods to stay on top of things (like the private sticky thread on the top of AH where we kept ban and unban dates that an Admin unhid one day by mistake :P). Even up until last year Category bans required you to use the access mask though they would be recorded on the ban history.

It probably could be shown in a person's profile to them but I imagine it'd be quite a lot of work because the permissions aren't set up that way and the tool wasn't designed to handle that kind of access either.

Advertisement