Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visas to legally work in the US

Options
  • 12-01-2014 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Are there currently any visas that anyone could get (similar to the Canadian visa I suppose) that would allow someone to go to the US and work in their job legally? I understand there's a year long visa at the min but you need a degree and to work specifically in that area.

While I have a degree, I have no wish to work in that area especially in America as I think it would be more suitable to Ireland and Irish business/law. I am also a qualified beauty therapist and hold CIDESCO (a qualification that's recognised worldwide) and I'm just wondering is there any way I could go to America and work or am I wasting my time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No, there is no general work visa that Irish people can get, that allows them to live and work in the US legally. There is the one year student graduate visa, but if that is not for you, your only other option is to get a company to hire you and then sponsor you for a work visa. As those visas cost thousands of dollars to process, US companies (and their Irish based counterparts) are usually only willing to go down that road for employees that bring a lot to table. Only you know if you fit that criteria or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Thanks prouddub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Greencard lottery is the other option.

Advertisement