Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving storage heater on?

Options
  • 12-01-2014 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭

Is it more economical (cheaper on electricity bill) to leave the storage heaters on during the day or turn the red switch off before going to work and turn it back on when I arrive home at 5 pm?
    I know they use cheaper electricity at night.

I have set input to 4 and output to 2 on them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

The heater does not use any power during the day so there is no need to turn the switch off.
    The heater uses the cheap rate electricity between approx 1-7am to heat a brick inside the unit. This brick then releases its heat during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

unfortunately for you storage heaters are really only useful for people who are in the house all day, as per Meercat's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

OP just be careful, some storage heaters have a convector heater built in so that it uses day rate electricity.

If there are 2 switches on the wall it is this type of heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Well, i can see 2 switches...one of them is on the wall, and other on the heater itself with red bulb inside the switch.
    What can be the best option in this case?
    dingding wrote: »
    OP just be careful, some storage heaters have a convector heater built in so that it uses day rate electricity.

If there are 2 switches on the wall it is this type of heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

That means it is probably a traditional storage heater and does not have a built in convector heater.

It is ok to leave them switched on as they will only heat at night when the controls and Esb time switch switch them on.

There is no benefit in turning them on and off unless you don't want them on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement