Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Meter Brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

Have you updated the firmware ? Readings that high are uncommon and indicate a faulty device .
    Ken1975 wrote: »
    Folks need some help. Got stages ultegra 6800 and it calibrated fine on friday. Reading was 870. Forgot to zero it before a 4 hour spin on Sunday but also moved the bike from the shed to the kitchen where it stood for 20 mins so readings were off the wall.
    This morning I zero'd outside before heading off and reading was 1194. I thought I may not havr left it outside long enough so carried on.
    I left my bike in an underground carpark all day so temp should be fairly consistent. So calibrated before leaving this evening and reading was 1288.

Amy ideas how to get back to the original 870 reading.

Btw. Tried calibrating with no hrm on too. Same.

Cheers.
    Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ken1975

jiffybag wrote: »
    Have you updated the firmware ? Readings that high are uncommon and indicate a faulty device .

Faulty even though the initial calibration was within .

Would it need firmware update even though it was bought last week. Sure I'll look into that. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

Faulty even though the initial calibration was within .

Would it need firmware update even though it was bought last week. Sure I'll look into that. Cheers.

Thats the first thing you would need to do with Stages . Latest firmware is 2.0.58

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Folks need some help. Got stages ultegra 6800 and it calibrated fine on friday. Reading was 870. Forgot to zero it before a 4 hour spin on Sunday but also moved the bike from the shed to the kitchen where it stood for 20 mins so readings were off the wall.
    This morning I zero'd outside before heading off and reading was 1194. I thought I may not havr left it outside long enough so carried on.
    I left my bike in an underground carpark all day so temp should be fairly consistent. So calibrated before leaving this evening and reading was 1288.

Amy ideas how to get back to the original 870 reading.

Btw. Tried calibrating with no hrm on too. Same.

Cheers.
    Ken.
    jiffybag wrote: »

Bad news is it doesn't sound right and may indicate a faulty device alright. Good news is that having dealt with them a good few times Stages support, either in the US or through Saddleback in the UK has been faultless in my experience. Quick to reply and quick turnaround if a device needs to be replaced. Obviously I'd rather not have to go through all that but they definitely are good to deal with when things go wrong.

Statler wrote: »
    Bad news is it doesn't sound right and may indicate a faulty device alright. Good news is that having dealt with them a good few times Stages support, either in the US or through Saddleback in the UK has been faultless in my experience. Quick to reply and quick turnaround if a device needs to be replaced. Obviously I'd rather not have to go through all that but they definitely are good to deal with when things go wrong.

Thanks for that comforting piece of advice Statler.
    I got onto Stages EU, they directed me to Saddleback, whom I mailed this morning so fingers crossed its hassle free and quick.

And to Jiffybag, I checked firmware on the Stages = 2.0.58 , Also checked the Garmin 500 = 3.30. Also disable HR and Speed/Cadence sensor in case there was a conflict but alas, No. So thanks for your help anyway, its much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Thanks for that comforting piece of advice Statler.
    I got onto Stages EU, they directed me to Saddleback, whom I mailed this morning so fingers crossed its hassle free and quick.

And to Jiffybag, I checked firmware on the Stages = 2.0.58 , Also checked the Garmin 500 = 3.30. Also disable HR and Speed/Cadence sensor in case there was a conflict but alas, No. So thanks for your help anyway, its much appreciated.

Aye their customer service is excellent, the battery cover broke on me and they sent me out 3 replacements immediately, no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Just received a Power2Max. First impression was ' holy grail this box feels heavy'. Unit looks good but maybe i missed an option for them to assemble the unit and chain rings. It's for TTs and float raced so weight not so much a concern but though i haven't weighted it yet vs my other cranks, it does seem surprisingly heavy. Look forward to getting out going though

Thought I should come back on this: what I went for is the Rotor 3d (not the new type S) with 53/39 BOR chainrings. Did a quick comparison against a 2011 DuraAce 50/34 chainset with an SRM. Need to double-check what I wrote down, but pretty sure it was within 120g which surprised me.

Difference in the weight of the package was the Rotor lock ring tool - that thing is a solid lump and must weigh 300-400g so that put me off.

Have to say, at that very slight weight penalty, it makes the Power2Max a very compelling proposition vs. SRM cost. Gotts say, I like the look of the Rotor cranks too, particularly with the colour decals added, certainly nicer than DuraAce chainset for me.

Performance-wise, only started using it recently after a period away. Don't have a very scientific way of comparing it, other than how it tracks to the readings on my Tacx Fortius (which is not known for high accuracy on power). power2max is generally tracking around 10-15% lower than the Tacx whereas the SRM used to be about 5% lower. When well-trained, I have a very good feel for the perceived effort of my VO2 Max intervals (generally 370w-430w when fit), but doing them last night the Tacx was showing 370w with the power2max showing 320w. Again, first tough session I've done in a good while, but the numbers did feel low vs. what I'd normally expect to see for that perceived effort.

In retrospect, I normally do the Brake Calibration on the Tacx at the start of the ride but didn't last night, so it may have been reading high. And I'm not sure if it's by design, but my power2max doesn't show a calibration value on my Garmin Edge 500 at all, though that may be down to it not needing it due to it doing the Auto Zero itself throughout the ride?

So, bottom line is I think it looks great, isn't as heavy as reviews have made out, gives power readings that my unscientific inputs suggest is a bit lower than the SRM, but what is very clear is they are consistent power readings (have tested it through a range of power levels and intervals) so that's what matters more than the absolute value comparison to SRM. All in all, so far I'm thinking this is very good bang for buck compared to an SRM.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

In retrospect, I normally do the Brake Calibration on the Tacx at the start of the ride but didn't last night, so it may have been reading high. And I'm not sure if it's by design, but my power2max doesn't show a calibration value on my Garmin Edge 500 at all, though that may be down to it not needing it due to it doing the Auto Zero itself throughout the ride?

the rotor lock ring tool is a heavy lump alright, if you were judging the overall weight with that included not surprise you thought it was heavy.

my p2m calibrates at every start, pops up on my garmin asking if i want to calibrate. usually do. mine is a type s though so something may have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ironmanwannabe

So, bottom line is I think it looks great, isn't as heavy as reviews have made out, gives power readings that my unscientific inputs suggest is a bit lower than the SRM, but what is very clear is they are consistent power readings (have tested it through a range of power levels and intervals) so that's what matters more than the absolute value comparison to SRM. All in all, so far I'm thinking this is very good bang for buck compared to an SRM.

Interesting I see SRM UK are not selling the SRM 9000 with a PC7 for 2500, and when the PC8 ships they'll swap the PC7 for one

Interesting I see SRM UK are not selling the SRM 9000 with a PC7 for 2500, and when the PC8 ships they'll swap the PC7 for one

Just clarifying that I use a Garmin Edge 500 with the power2max and also used it with the SRM, so my comparison is like-for-like on the head unit side, haven't used a PC7 or PC8.

• Advertisement

Found a forum online with users that couldn't get their Garmin to take the calibration reading from the power2max: tried the suggested taking it outside, letting the Garmin register GPS signal and then doing the calibration when back indoors on the turbo - worked. Readings tonight were much closer to the Tacx, and very close to what I'd expect from memory with the SRM for given effort levels. Glad that's sorted and it makes the P2M even more promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Found a forum online with users that couldn't get their Garmin to take the calibration reading from the power2max: tried the suggested taking it outside, letting the Garmin register GPS signal and then doing the calibration when back indoors on the turbo - worked. Readings tonight were much closer to the Tacx, and very close to what I'd expect from memory with the SRM for given effort levels. Glad that's sorted and it makes the P2M even more promising.

Do you have a link ? I have a Rotor 3D power2max which I use with a Garmin Edge 705. Calibration was never on my radar as it is supposedly self calibrating. Did a first winter turbo session last night and the RPE felt extremely high for the wattage compared to sessions last spring. I put this down to getting back into turbo sessions, it probably was this but would like to read more about it. Particularly why getting a GPS signal has anything to do with it.

Particularly why getting a GPS signal has anything to do with it.

it's not a p2m problem, i;ve seen this reported in connection with other ant sensors. basically the system gets a little confused when it doesn't get data it was expecting from something, like the gps, which affects how it interacts with other sensors(HR, cadence). almost like a web browser that hangs up your computer as it waits for a webpage to load. once it gets the data it was expecting it's fine again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

From jackmott on Slowtwitch
    The validity of an idea does not depend on the number of people supporting it, but the data and logic supporting it.

Human bike power production is neither even nor consistent, and numerous investigations into this question support this. A partial list:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/979569
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10460126
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17369798
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21055708

People with Vector power meters or lab equipment can provide many more examples.

Many people who own stages power meters have said they "work fine", of those people, three of them have sent me power files where they had data from both a stages and a power meter than records data from both legs. In every case there were obvious discrepancies. I don't even do very complex analysis to find them. DCRainmaker had obvious discrepancies in his data:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...max_power_curves.png

DJ Connel found discrepancies with as well: http://djconnel.blogspot.com/...ower-comparison.html

The confounding issue of power balance is a reality. If that kind of error does not affect its utility for your own personal use, then it is a good buy. But don't pretend that issue does not exist.

From http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Is_the_Stages_power_meter_a_good_buy_P5281044/

Jackmott is a well of technical knowledge

Note for mods: Intention with this post is to share interesting information and posts from other sources. If others take offence and report not my intention

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Lucks cool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tegerman

Has anyone purchased their power meter from powermeter24? I ordered a stages from them mid september and was given a dispatch date for 4 weeks after, which was bad enough. When that date arrived I contacted them and they said it would be another 3 weeks. The new date has arrived and I have been given another date 2.5 weeks from now. Really really crummy service.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,422 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

tegerman wrote: »
    Has anyone purchased their power meter from powermeter24? I ordered a stages from them mid september and was given a dispatch date for 4 weeks after, which was bad enough. When that date arrived I contacted them and they said it would be another 3 weeks. The new date has arrived and I have been given another date 2.5 weeks from now. Really really crummy service.
    Yes. Got it within a couple of weeks. No problem.

I am guessing in this case they were expecting an order which has been delayed of perhaps not fulfilled completely leaving them short. Alas it's the sort of thing that can happen quite regularly with online ordering.

Below recent snippet from Facebook from a cycling buddy of mine, removed names, not sure what his exact issue is yet

Be very cautious if ordering anything from this crowd:
    http://www.powermeter24.com/

Were they not nice to you ?
    23 October at 22:03 · Like

NO
    23 October at 22:46 · Like

shower of pr**ks. they must have missed the class about customer relations when they set up the company
    23 October at 22:47 · Like · 1

Go to Planet Tri, a great bunch of lads.
    23 October at 22:48 · Like · 2

Was it your German skills ?
    23 October at 23:16 · Like

I mentioned the "war"
    24 October at 07:13 · Like · 1

Ah don't get me started on that shower. Well ok, do.
    I ordered an Stages Ultegra from them back 28th August with an estimated shipping date of 5th September. That date came and past, got a notification to say a 10 working day delay. I complained but agreed to wait. on the 10th day got another mail to say an additional 10 day delay at which point they tried to upsell a Quarq riken to me for an additional €200. Told them to take a run and jump. Demanded a refund and got it 5 days later.
    Ended up ordering from powermetershop.de (be aware the site is only in German but if you open it in Chrome, you can opt to have the site translated). They shipped quickly but shipped me a faulty stages. Got it replaced no hassle ,albeit it a slow initial response to my mail stating it was faulty.
    Replacement working fine so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 specialCK

I've just received my Powertomax, LBS is installing it onto my bike, using Q rings on the Rotor 3D cranks. I was on a cyclops PM wheel and had loads of trouble with it. Any views on Powertomax?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,422 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

specialCK wrote: »
    Any views on Powertomax?
    Do you mean Power2max?

Beasty wrote: »
    Do you mean Power2max?

and if you do, lots of discussion on them earlier in the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mossym wrote: »
    and if you do, lots of discussion on them earlier in the thread

They are complete overkill. Only one leg is needed, why do they insist on forcing both legs on us?????

Yes, its Power2max, thanks very much for the links.
    Can't wait to get going on the new PM, have only heard good things about it.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02640414.2014.969296

Would make for an interesting read. Documents Thibaut Pinots last 6 years of powermeter use.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tegerman

Ah don't get me started on that shower. Well ok, do.
    I ordered an Stages Ultegra from them back 28th August with an estimated shipping date of 5th September. That date came and past, got a notification to say a 10 working day delay. I complained but agreed to wait. on the 10th day got another mail to say an additional 10 day delay at which point they tried to upsell a Quarq riken to me for an additional €200. Told them to take a run and jump. Demanded a refund and got it 5 days later.
    Ended up ordering from powermetershop.de (be aware the site is only in German but if you open it in Chrome, you can opt to have the site translated). They shipped quickly but shipped me a faulty stages. Got it replaced no hassle ,albeit it a slow initial response to my mail stating it was faulty.
    Replacement working fine so far.

Based on your experience I cancelled my order. Its now 2 weeks since I cancelled, and over a week since I started emailing them for the refund, and I'm still waiting for it.

If anyone else is thinking about it, I would be very very wary about ordering anything from powermeter24. If my experience is anything to go by (and it is judging by the results of a quick google search) they treat their customers like crap.

I have been using the power2max for the last 2 weeks and it is grrreat. Delivery was 10 days and it arrived on time and power readings are nowhere near as jumpy or off target as the powertap wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Special on Canyon.com at the moment on the vector s 720 euro, I think it's usually 890
    http://www.canyon.com/en/accessories/#category=F04&id=51312

Actually as more and more people are interested in power meters am curious to know if anybody know of bike manufacturers (e.g. rose, canyon, planetx) who offer off the shelf packages with them ?

Seems like a logical next step to me as with something like P2M you are saving on an additional crankset

• Advertisement

Actually as more and more people are interested in power meters am curious to know if anybody know of bike manufacturers (e.g. rose, canyon, planetx) who offer off the shelf packages with them ?

Seems like a logical next step to me as with something like P2M you are saving on an additional crankset

Good question. I guess one needs a solid background in electronics first of all and that probably isn't bike companies speciality. I wonder will Shimano ever come out with one, something built into the crank kinda like Pioneer.

Speaking of which, I got a Pioneer recently (the 2nd generation) and I'm very happy with it. Feels very similar to my power output on Trainerroad and so far it's very consistent. Pretty easy install, a magnet on either chainstay with the one on the crank side a bit awkward to install but not too bad. The meter confirmed my left side dominance by about 10% so I'm getting a fit next week with Aidan Hammond. Will be interesting with the spi Spinscan and dual sided meter to see what kind of balance I can get or even a power improvement while at the same time retaining comfort.

Advertisement