Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Meter Brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Good question. I guess one needs a solid background in electronics first of all and that probably isn't bike companies speciality. I wonder will Shimano ever come out with one, something built into the crank kinda like Pioneer.

What I had in mind was much simpler than that. A manufacturer like Rose or Canyon can offer Shimano groupsets, Mavic wheels etc as part of their configuration. So was just wondering why they cannot offer a P2M crankset or a Stages crank. With crank based PMs in particular this would remove the end user research into what fits their bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What I had in mind was much simpler than that. A manufacturer like Rose or Canyon can offer Shimano groupsets, Mavic wheels etc as part of their configuration. So was just wondering why they cannot offer a P2M crankset or a Stages crank. With crank based PMs in particular this would remove the end user research into what fits their bike.

Why don't they do the same for cadence?
    Or speed?

Cause not everyone wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Here's an interesting powermeter survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

My Stages has gone kapupt again. Second time. Got it originally in November last year, had to replace it due to water getting in last May and it happened again.

While they seem to have solveda lot of the early issues in regard to battery life etc, I needed to replace the battery and the cover is very feable and easily broken.

Customer service is again very quick, although they are asking that I retest the unit one I get a replacement battery cover, but it's still a PITA.

Great concept, works great normally, but this seems to be an issue. Of course I am only one, and maybe just unlucky. i would put the first fail down to getting one of the first production run units, (lesson learned on that) and certainly the second unit dealt with the issues that had been with the 1st unit. But if the battery is only going to last 5 months or failry limited use, then it needs to be more robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ken1975

Leroy42 wrote: »
    My Stages has gone kapupt again. Second time. Got it originally in November last year, had to replace it due to water getting in last May and it happened again.

While they seem to have solveda lot of the early issues in regard to battery life etc, I needed to replace the battery and the cover is very feable and easily broken.

Customer service is again very quick, although they are asking that I retest the unit one I get a replacement battery cover, but it's still a PITA.

Great concept, works great normally, but this seems to be an issue. Of course I am only one, and maybe just unlucky. i would put the first fail down to getting one of the first production run units, (lesson learned on that) and certainly the second unit dealt with the issues that had been with the 1st unit. But if the battery is only going to last 5 months or failry limited use, then it needs to be more robust.

Im in the process of getting replacement battery covers due to the fact that while replacing the last battery (after 2 weeks use) one of the 3 tiny plastic clamps on the cover snapped off. The previous battery (the one that shipped in the crank) lasted 40hours tops, so Im concerned that prior to the possibility that me removing the cover there is an inherent fault with battery drain.
    I have been advised that if the cover is loose or not properly secured then the battery will drain fast.
    So, once the new covers arrive I will see how long I get from the battery. If there is still a problem the shop (in Germany) are telling me to return it to Stages for fault testing, which is the last thing I need - no power meter during the festive training period.

I'll keep ye updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Ken1975 wrote: »
    Im in the process of getting replacement battery covers due to the fact that while replacing the last battery (after 2 weeks use) one of the 3 tiny plastic clamps on the cover snapped off. The previous battery (the one that shipped in the crank) lasted 40hours tops, so Im concerned that prior to the possibility that me removing the cover there is an inherent fault with battery drain.
    I have been advised that if the cover is loose or not properly secured then the battery will drain fast.
    So, once the new covers arrive I will see how long I get from the battery. If there is still a problem the shop (in Germany) are telling me to return it to Stages for fault testing, which is the last thing I need - no power meter during the festive training period.

I'll keep ye updated.

Might be a good idea to wrap plumbers tape around the battery cover just in case the cover is loose/not 100% waterproof and there is water getting in.

Might be a good idea to wrap plumbers tape around the battery cover just in case the cover is loose/not 100% waterproof and there is water getting in.

Step ahead of ya there Phil ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Ken, have you updated the firmware? The battery issue comes from the bluetooth not turning off when you are not using it and that drains the battery.

Ken, have you updated the firmware? The battery issue comes from the bluetooth not turning off when you are not using it and that drains the battery.

Pretty sure that was the first thing I checked when I got my replacement power meter. But ill check again. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ken1975 wrote: »
    - no power meter during the festive training period.

That's the worst of it. Once you get up and running training with power it's hugely annoying to be without it

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,422 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Heard one Sky rider has gone through more than a dozen Stages - reliability appears a major issue with them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Beasty wrote: »
    Heard one Sky rider has gone through more than a dozen Stages - reliability appears a major issue with them

A yeah but Sky invested heavily in comparing all brands of PM. Picking stages had nothing to do with the big sponsorship deal they signed with them

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

No doubt this will be a stupid question but can you use a stages ultegra 6800 crank with a FSA crankset?

Really thinking of getting a stages pm but they're more expensive here than what my mate bought his for in australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Beasty wrote: »
    Probably Wiggo throwing all his bikes at the ground...

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Hey folks.

I picked up a Campag-equipped Canyon a few months ago, and am looking to start training with powwwwwerrrrrrr.

Campag stuff, being what it is, a chainring-based meter will be $$$ and Stages don't do Campag cranks. I've been thinking about a PowerTap hub, as I feel it's the type that's least likely to get damaged. The wheels which came with the Canyon are the Mavic Ksyrium SLR WTS with the whistle-y braking surface (Exalith 2); these are the wheels with the rounded carbon spokes on the non-drive side and the bladed alloy spokes on the drive side. Might you guys know if there's a PowerTap hub that would work with these wheels?
    Apologies if this is a stupid question (I thought there are no stupid questions :) ).

Thanks!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

dancrowley wrote: »
    Hey folks.

I picked up a Campag-equipped Canyon a few months ago, and am looking to start training with powwwwwerrrrrrr.

Campag stuff, being what it is, a chainring-based meter will be $$$ and Stages don't do Campag cranks. I've been thinking about a PowerTap hub, as I feel it's the type that's least likely to get damaged. The wheels which came with the Canyon are the Mavic Ksyrium SLR WTS with the whistle-y braking surface (Exalith 2); these are the wheels with the rounded carbon spokes on the non-drive side and the bladed alloy spokes on the drive side. Might you guys know if there's a PowerTap hub that would work with these wheels?
    Apologies if this is a stupid question (I thought there are no stupid questions :) ).

Thanks!

is it a case of rebuilding the wheel with the powertap hub?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

godtabh wrote: »
    is it a case of rebuilding the wheel with the powertap hub?

This is what I'm guessing is to happen, but with the wheels i've seen the lads using, the spoke material and quantity are the same on the drive and non-drive sides. I'm curious as to whether or not it's possible to allow for these differences present in my rear wheel (rounded carbon and bladed alloy)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I don't think there is any way to rebuild that wheel on a Powertap hub as the spoke lengths needed are unavailable from Mavic and normal spokes will not fit.

clog wrote: »
    I don't think there is any way to rebuild that wheel on a Powertap hub as the spoke lengths needed are unavailable from Mavic and normal spokes will not fit.

What wheel would you recommend for a wheel build

I've about 500/600 euro to spend on a power meter. What sort of models/makes am I looking at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RST

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    I've about 500/600 euro to spend on a power meter. What sort of models/makes am I looking at?

For that kind of budget you are looking at second hand only. The cheapest new is Stages at around 700 for a 105 crank, and that is left side only. 4iiii Precision is a new offering with left side only @ $395 and left/right @ $745. It is supposed to be on the market in the new year. An initial impression review from DC rainmaker was very positive.

RST wrote: »
    For that kind of budget you are looking at second hand only. The cheapest new is Stages at around 700 for a 105 crank, and that is left side only. 4iiii Precision is a new offering with left side only @ $395 and left/right @ $745. It is supposed to be on the market in the new year. An initial impression review from DC rainmaker was very positive.l

Can't see too many knocking about second hand either! Hard to know what to do. It's a lot of expense for something that isn't necessary but would be a great help obviously. I am training for la Marmotte and fella that is helping me needs me to have a power meter for best results. I am eventually going to race or take part in time trials so I'm sure it wouldn't be wasted. Am I mad in the head or would it be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

There are one or two on adverts.ie at the moment. PowerTaps seem to be the most common ones that come up.

I posted a link on the bargain alter thread about second hand power taps been sold with a 6 month guarantee. I bought one for €500

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

I've a campag bike too. I'd love to get the Pioneer powermeter but this is only available for Shimino, I presume it is possible to work with everything up to 11sp these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RST

Am I mad in the head or would it be useful.

I have been debating that myself for the last couple of months and have come to the conclusion that at the 4iii pricepoint I could justify it. I have been using a wattbike recently and think that a structured power training programme is the way to go.

godtabh wrote: »
    I posted a link on the bargain alter thread about second hand power taps been sold with a 6 month guarantee. I bought one for €500

do you still have that link?

do you still have that link?

http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/used-ex-rental-powermeters-141-c.asp

I rang them when they had nothing on the site and they had about 10 ready to ship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Can't see too many knocking about second hand either! Hard to know what to do. It's a lot of expense for something that isn't necessary but would be a great help obviously. I am training for la Marmotte and fella that is helping me needs me to have a power meter for best results. I am eventually going to race or take part in time trials so I'm sure it wouldn't be wasted. Am I mad in the head or would it be useful.

Don't see need for sportive cyclist getting a power meter; a very difficult hilly sportive, but still your not racing.

Get one if you have knowledge set up to get best out of it, but with over 6 months to prepare you should be flying for Marmotte or anything else.

Just because there is a technology there doesn't make it necessary. A power meter without the knowledge to plan training and interpret performance is just another gadget for bike.

There is a lot of fruit lower down on tree which is free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

ford2600 wrote: »
    Don't see need for sportive cyclist getting a power meter; a very difficult hilly sportive, but still your not racing.
    powermeters are most benficial for people intending on racing alright but it doesnt matter what your goals are really, if you've the money and keen enough interest to work with the metrics a powermeter would help anyone.

Advertisement