Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Meter Brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

The fella that is helping me is a coach and lives in Oz so he said it would be great if I had a powermetre to help plan my sportive using the power data. I love all the science behind cycling and I am interested in learning about powermetres but I am not so keen on the price. I've signed up for th club time trials this year as well but I am not taking them serious. Once I retire from gaelic I will be taking cycling serious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    The fella that is helping me is a coach and lives in Oz so he said it would be great if I had a powermetre to help plan my sportive using the power data. I love all the science behind cycling and I am interested in learning about powermetres but I am not so keen on the price. I've signed up for th club time trials this year as well but I am not taking them serious. Once I retire from gaelic I will be taking cycling serious!

Hard to mix gaelic football and endurance cycling. Watch your achillies!

How is your weight, nutrition, sleep, stress levels? Get used to long cycles, enjoy them. In spring hit the hills often, do a few long sportives, more hills.

Pray its not too hot in July!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Do a few of the early season audaxes, start at 200 and aim for a 400 or 600 before you head over and you will be grand, I wouldn't bother with the power meter unless the numbers really do interest you as there is no practical reason for la Marmotte.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Can't see too many knocking about second hand either! Hard to know what to do. It's a lot of expense for something that isn't necessary but would be a great help obviously. I am training for la Marmotte and fella that is helping me needs me to have a power meter for best results. I am eventually going to race or take part in time trials so I'm sure it wouldn't be wasted. Am I mad in the head or would it be useful.

Ah "you have to have a power meter" the words of a person peddling generic plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

tunney wrote: »
    Ah "you have to have a power meter" the words of a person peddling generic plans.

Not at all. He's trained a fella I know from club level to National time trial champion of Oz. I know the difference that my mate is at then a PM would def be beneficial and i am def not at that level. Doing it as a favour for me. He said it would be best to have a power meter as he will be drawing plans for me on the other side of the world but for my level he will still be able to give me something using HR and cadence etc. I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If you want a power meter Jim, get a power meter. You sound pretty serious about your training and they're a fantastic training tool and focus. Forget 1500 euro carbon wheels, a pm is an infinitely bettrr spend. Best thing I ever bought, by a comfortable country mile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

fat bloke wrote: »
    If you want a power meter Jim, get a power meter. You sound pretty serious about your training and they're a fantastic training tool and focus. Forget 1500 euro carbon wheels, a pm is an infinitely bettrr spend. Best thing I ever bought, by a comfortable country mile

Well said. However it's just an expensive toy as someone pointed out to me recently if you don't learn how to use it or have someone to show you how best to utilise it. In your case Jim it sounds like your coach is trying to give you the best bang for buck and through his tutoring you will learn how to make you cycling more efficient. If you get into cycling more seriously in the future you'll certainly consider the powermeter a wise investment over an expensive piece of kit (wheels, frames, gro upset etc).

Another tip, download Goldencheetah power metrics software and have a look at some tutorial videos on how to use it. Just go on the Goldencheetah website. The latest upgrade has made it really user friendly I find and its free. Compare that with Trainingpeaks subscription or purchasing WKO software and its a no brainer to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

godtabh wrote: »

They're obviously subscribing to this thread and getting ahead of the game. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

They're obviously subscribing to this thread and getting ahead of the game. :)

Interesting concept. I couldn't find a price after reading the blog but if it was in the €2.5k price range i would have been interested

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

What is the state of play with BB's PM, did anyone get one for Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

BB PM?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,422 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

bazermc wrote: »
    BB PM?
    Brim Bros Power Meter (I presume - originally thought it was something to do with a Bottom Bracket though!)

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Just wondering is a stages powermeter compatible with a garmin 800 unit? Thinking of getting one for my training bike.

Thanks

yes its ant+ compatible

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Amprodude wrote: »
    Just wondering is a stages powermeter compatible with a garmin 800 unit? Thinking of getting one for my training bike.

Thanks

Yes I use mine with an 800, you might need to update your firmware if you haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Inquitus wrote: »
    Yes I use mine with an 800, you might need to update your firmware if you haven't already.

Excellent thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Anybody use rotor power meter on here thinking of splashing out have rotor on the bike seems like the best option for me also looked at garmin but some negative feedback but like the simplicity of the pedals

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

why are you going rotor? i have a rotor 3d crankset with praxis rings, and a power2max pm. very happy with the rotor crankset, so if their PM's are the same quality then i'd have no worries. the praxis rings are highly recommended

• Advertisement

I have rotor on the bike that's the reason for my choice of rotor so I just need the crankarms have the rings already cheers

I have rotor on the bike that's the reason for my choice of rotor so I just need the crankarms have the rings already cheers

if you already have the rotor then you may be able to add a power2max depending on which model you have. just to give you another option..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

I'd be looking at power2max as well. If you go rotor you are replacing the entire crankset at a cost of €1500 or €900 if you go with the one sided option which is a compromise I wouldn't make. The only thing you could reuse is your chain rings

For €620 you can get the power2max classic or for €940 the newer typeS which will just replace your existing spider on the crankset.
    I'd nearly just pick up the praxis rings as spares for @€;100 they are a bargain everything I've read about them rates them as some of the best you can get.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,422 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

2 more threads merged in

Ryath wrote: »
    I'd be looking at power2max as well. If you go rotor you are replacing the entire crankset at a cost of €1500 or €900 if you go with the one sided option which is a compromise I wouldn't make. The only thing you could reuse is your chain rings

For €620 you can get the power2max classic or for €940 the newer typeS which will just replace your existing spider on the crankset.
    I'd nearly just pick up the praxis rings as spares for @€;100 they are a bargain everything I've read about them rates them as some of the best you can get.
    Would I need the 110 or 130mm version?

Would I need the 110 or 130mm version?

are you running standard or compact?

mossym wrote: »
    are you running standard or compact?

Compact 52/36 I sure it's 110

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Compact 52/36 I sure it's 110

If it's a 36 small ring it's 110 you need unless you want to go to a standard 53/39 and get new chainrings

Ryath wrote: »
    If it's a 36 small ring it's 110 you need unless you want to go to a standard 53/39 and get new chainrings

If I went for the standard would I need to change anything else I.e chain e.t.c or just the rings?because the power2max Classic 130mm seems good value even if you buy the extra chainrings the 110 is not on offer for the classic also what rated torque wrench is required?Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thanks to this thread I'll be spending a few bob on the 4iiii precision. The value is just too good to ignore.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement