Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Meter Brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

tunney wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as a good one side option?

Yes, there are a number of them on the market and they each provide reliable power readings to the user.

But you already knew that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Good 1 sided for 440 or similar that you can change between bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

inc21 wrote: »
    Good 1 sided for 440 or similar that you can change between bikes?

bepro favero is €499. Its pedal based.

4iii is $400 (plus shipping and customs) and is crank based

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yes, there are a number of them on the market and they each provide reliable power readings to the user.

But you already knew that

Afraid I am not aware of them.
    I know of the stages offering, 4iii, variants of bepro and vectors but I am not aware of ones that are any good. Which ones are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I know of the stages offering, 4iii, variants of bepro and vectors but I am not aware of ones that are any good. Which ones are you talking about?

Can only mean this one?

• Advertisement

You have deemed them to be not any good, that is your opinion.

What is your basis for claiming that are no good? Bear in mind that simply stating your opinion does not make it a fact, neither does simply saying that dual sided is better. No one is ever going to argue that single is better, or indeed even the same, but it is whether single sided is sufficient and whether getting single sided at a price point that is affordable is better than nothing as dual sided is out of reach.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I recall tunney linking to a study earlier in the threat which found that not only could people have varying left/right power, but the level of variance could change at depending on the power output.

That alone would discourage me from buying a single sided power meter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

not only could people have varying left/right power, but the level of variance could change at depending on the power output.

2 years of power data from training where i have L/R balance backs this up completely.

Yes but Tunney is claiming they are not any good, not that they have their shortcomings. To claim that they are not any good implies you are better off without them.

Even in that study, most people would react the same under the same conditions over time. If my left leg balance decreases after 5 hours then I would expect it to happen each time so the numbers themselves are consistent, if not particularly accurate, but since it is personal to me consistency is the key.

And what do you do if you do know your balance changes? There is currently very little you can do about it so the number again is the number.

Tunney is quite right to argue that it is better to save a bit longer and get a dual sided.

Even in that study, most people would react the same under the same conditions over time. If my left leg balance decreases after 5 hours then I would expect it to happen each time so the numbers themselves are consistent, if not particularly accurate, but since it is personal to me consistency is the key.
    Bear in mind that simply stating your opinion does not make it a fact,

sage advice

And what do you do if you do know your balance changes? There is currently very little you can do about it so the number again is the number.

what do you mean there is little you can do about it? You simply adjust your output level so that your power output remains in the target range. it's not that your balance has changed is the issue, its that the balance changing changes your overall power output.

there is only nothing you can do if you don't know something has changed. which is the case with one sided. which is kind of the point.

• Advertisement

To claim that they are not any good implies you are better off without them.

I think this is the crux of the issue.

sconhome wrote: »
    I think this is the crux of the issue.

absolutely. whether the information is accurate or not is only important depending on the use you are making of the data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

sconhome wrote: »
    Can only mean this one?

no ant+ ? Does not seem like good option to me

Does PE have any place in training and racing? Does HR play any part in racing and training? Tunney seems to be suggesting that none of these, which are clearly not as good as PM, are any good. Not that they have a part to play but as less than perfect.

Everyone interested in power would love to be able to get an SRM, but not everyone is able to afford one. Not everyone has either the time or the inclination to changeover a full crankset.

So the likes of Stages, 4iii etc were invented to deal with that gap. They are being used by Pro teams, even Froome used a stages during the TdF. So it is a bit much to simply throw out a comment that there is no such thing as a useful single sided PM when quite clearly there are many people that have and are using them to great effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

I purchased the 4iiii for €380 last October to allow me to follow a structured power training plan. I love the 4iiii and have had no software issues to date. I broke the cover trying to change the battery my own fault entirely. I had 2 replacement covers delivered by UPS within 2 days.

Clearly a dual sided power meter is a better option but for a newbie to power training a single sided unit is sufficient.

I purchased the 4iiii for €380 last October to allow me to follow a structured power training plan.

I already have a PM (Garmin Vector 2) but friends are looking for PM's and were wondering did 4iii get past customs ok or you were a lucky one?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I purchased the 4iiii for €380 last October to allow me to follow a structured power training plan. I love the 4iiii and have had no software issues to date. I broke the cover trying to change the battery my own fault entirely. I had 2 replacement covers delivered by UPS within 2 days.

Clearly a dual sided power meter is a better option but for a newbie to power training a single sided unit is sufficient.

I was thinking of getting a Stages but 4iiii seems nearly a better option-it's cheaper and you don;t have a useless left crank arm lying about afterwards. How do you buy one in Ireland-is it direct from the 4iii website or is there a local distributor?

spotted this on twitter this morning

http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/irish-company-launch-worlds-first-wearable-power-meter-for-cyclists-on-kickstarter/

after all this time now they are launching a kickstarter to fund their production run.

given the numerous delays and setback, would anyone have faith enough to put their money to it? the owners obviously don't or they wouldn't be using kickstarter, or else they can't afford to, and after all this time that would really make we worry about the existence of the company if they don't sell a lot of the first batch .

i've nothing against kickstarter campaigns, have backed two crowd funding projects in the last month, but this seems a very odd time to be starting one given the history of the development

mossym wrote: »
    spotted this on twitter this morning

http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/irish-company-launch-worlds-first-wearable-power-meter-for-cyclists-on-kickstarter/

after all this time now they are launching a kickstarter to fund their production run.

given the numerous delays and setback, would anyone have faith enough to put their money to it? the owners obviously don't or they wouldn't be using kickstarter, or else they can't afford to, and after all this time that would really make we worry about the existence of the company if they don't sell a lot of the first batch .

i've nothing against kickstarter campaigns, have backed two crowd funding projects in the last month, but this seems a very odd time to be starting one given the history of the development

Yeah I saw that this morning as well and it just raised danger flags. 3/4 years on and looking for more cash, for something that won't sell at the original price point, has very specific requirements on things people are very peculiar about - shoes and pedals (I use Spesh Sworx shoes with Keos - neither will work here).

Danger. Nearly as much danger as a Stages unit in wet weather.

Not sure about why with a product ready for market in May they should be turning to a round of crowd funding.

I would think a project at this stage should have enough commitment from distributors at this stage to be able to bank fund this directly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Does HR play any part in racing and training? Tunney seems to be suggesting that none of these, which are clearly not as good as PM, are any good.

I think the same reservations would apply to a HRM. If a HRM was consistently inaccurate, it may have some value as a training aid. If it were inconsistently inaccurate, it wouldn't be much use.

Does PE have any place in training and racing? Does HR play any part in racing and training? Tunney seems to be suggesting that none of these, which are clearly not as good as PM, are any good. Not that they have a part to play but as less than perfect.

HR, PE and Power are all metrics that go hand in hand.
    Everyone interested in power would love to be able to get an SRM, but not everyone is able to afford one. Not everyone has either the time or the inclination to changeover a full crankset.

So the likes of Stages, 4iii etc were invented to deal with that gap. They are being used by Pro teams, even Froome used a stages during the TdF. So it is a bit much to simply throw out a comment that there is no such thing as a useful single sided PM when quite clearly there are many people that have and are using them to great effect.

No they were "invented" to bring a PM to market at less than half the cost - non drive side is cheaper than drive side.

Not its not a bit much to say that there is no such thing as a single sided PM, never mind a good single sided PM.

On an aside its good to see that the hard earned sponsorship money paid to Sky is doing its work.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Anyone on here using the Stages Generation 2 yet? Any feedback?

I've narrowed down my selection to this or the singe sided Garmin Vector 2s.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

Koobcam wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting a Stages but 4iiii seems nearly a better option-it's cheaper and you don;t have a useless left crank arm lying about afterwards. How do you buy one in Ireland-is it direct from the 4iii website or is there a local distributor?

They will be available from a UK based disrubition company from March onwards. . Pricing is yet TBC.
    They are currently looking to set up a dealer network , IBD only and they claim that they won't be dealing with the big online discounters.

I had a chat with he guy who owns the company , he's from Cochrane , Alberta. Turns out he knows my wife's uncle very well. Apparently the same guy invented the Garmin runners shoe pod and sold the design to Garmin for many many $$$ .

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

coach22 wrote: »
    Anyone on here using the Stages Generation 2 yet? Any feedback?

I've narrowed down my selection to this or the singe sided Garmin Vector 2s.

The Stages Gen2 units that I've seen all have survived our monsoon winter . Much better door seal cover on the latest unit . Although with anything as delicate as a power meter being used in this environment it would be wish to keep it in a warm dry place when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 hoosh1

Has anyone bought a Favero BePro recently? Thinking of taking the plunge. DC Rainmakers review is quite favourable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

right, i have a Garmin Vector S (single side) and i was looking at the Upgrade option.

but it got me thinking... what is stopping a person buying the upgrade kit and new pedal bodies to make up a cheap-ish power meter?
    this is the upgrade kit: http://jedi-sports.de/Power-Meter/Garmin-Vector-S-to-Vector-2S-Upgrade-Kit::7314.html
    these are the pedal bodies: http://jedi-sports.de/Power-Meter/Garmin-Vector-Pedal-Body-and-Assembly::6642.html

a total of 250 euro... what am i missing?!?!?!? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

markusz wrote: »
    right, i have a Garmin Vector S (single side) and i was looking at the Upgrade option.

but it got me thinking... what is stopping a person buying the upgrade kit and new pedal bodies to make up a cheap-ish power meter?
    this is the upgrade kit: http://jedi-sports.de/Power-Meter/Garmin-Vector-S-to-Vector-2S-Upgrade-Kit::7314.html
    these are the pedal bodies: http://jedi-sports.de/Power-Meter/Garmin-Vector-Pedal-Body-and-Assembly::6642.html

a total of 250 euro... what am i missing?!?!?!? :cool:

I'd assume it has something to do with how they communicate. As in the right pedal is the master and the left is the slave. Meaning that the right side pod is the one that communicates with the head unit but I don't know much about the Vector pedal. Is there a difference in pods? I assume they've differentiated between the right and left pods but maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

Sarz91 wrote: »
    I'd assume it has something to do with how they communicate. As in the right pedal is the master and the left is the slave. Meaning that the right side pod is the one that communicates with the head unit but I don't know much about the Vector pedal. Is there a difference in pods? I assume they've differentiated between the right and left pods but maybe not.

its left side only for the Vector S so no need for a right pedal. the left pod is the master and the only pod.

someone asked here but no one gave the reason as to why it wouldnt work: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13039828&hilit=vector+upgrade+kit

• Advertisement

Advertisement