Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Meter Brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

markusz wrote: »
    right, i have a Garmin Vector S (single side) and i was looking at the Upgrade option.

but it got me thinking... what is stopping a person buying the upgrade kit and new pedal bodies to make up a cheap-ish power meter?
    this is the upgrade kit: http://jedi-sports.de/Power-Meter/Garmin-Vector-S-to-Vector-2S-Upgrade-Kit::7314.html
    these are the pedal bodies: http://jedi-sports.de/Power-Meter/Garmin-Vector-Pedal-Body-and-Assembly::6642.html

a total of 250 euro... what am i missing?!?!?!? :cool:

upgrade kit, you have nothing to upgrade..........

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

You can order 4iiii power meters from Evans & PBK (from mid June).

http://www.4iiiiuk.com/?page_id=14

More expensive that going direct to http://4iiii.com/product/precision/ but maybe the same if you get caught with customs tax/duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Shimano Have just launched new Dura Ace 9100 with integrated powermeter.

http://www.duraace.com/global/en#crankset-powermeter

No details on price yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

clog wrote: »
    No details on price yet.

It will range between expensive and very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

godtabh wrote: »
    It will range between very expensive and very very expensive
    Fyp :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

You may well have offerings from the likes of Rose with it included in bike builds going forward. This would likely bring the price down

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭madrichie

Any 4iiii owners out there have any updates on reliability... or if they received dreaded import tax letter?

I'm thinking of sending over a crank arm to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

madrichie wrote: »
    Any 4iiii owners out there have any updates on reliability... or if they received dreaded import tax letter?

I'm thinking of sending over a crank arm to them.

Yep, got one earlier this year. No problems whatsoever with it, really reliable. They were a pleasure to deal with too - there was a bit of a delay in sending my crank back to me, but when I received it they'd included one of their Heart Rate monitors (worth about €80) free because of the inconvenience. A few months later there was a problem with the strap, so they sent another one out to reaplce it.
    But I was stung for the import tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

did you get done for customs when they sent you back your own crank arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

Yes, albeit a few weeks later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

If it's customs clearance by manifest, it not avoidable. Shipper supplies the info to the courier and the courier submits it to Customs. It's not random like An Post. Anyway; it's no different to buying goods in Ireland and paying 23% Vat - you think you are getting stung but you are paying no more than if you bought it here (if on sale here). They won't bill you for your crank arm, just the value of the PM. You need to factor it in before deciding to buy 4iiii or some other PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭madrichie

In fairness, even with duty its a great price and comes with a good reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Update from Brim Brothers.

"It is with great sadness I have to tell you that Brim Brothers is ceasing operations.

We have run out of time and money. The difficulties we have had with production quantities, together with variable accuracy of the finished units when in use, mean that we are unable to deliver and we don t have the resources to continue.

Over the last couple of weeks it has become clear that putting an innovative product into manufacture has more challenges than we planned for, particularly achieving the consistent accuracy that a power meter requires. Our first production batch demonstrated that more time and investment is needed to test and re-test new production processes. This is beyond our resources, and our efforts to find new finance have not been successful.

What this means for you as a customer is that we can t deliver your power meter, and we can t provide a refund. For me personally this is what hurts most, and I wish there was something I could do to change it.

We attempted to create the most innovative power meter in the world, the only wearable power meter, and in doing that we probably took on bigger technical challenges than any other power meter design team. Over the last 8 years we solved so many of the challenges, and created new technologies, but we have fallen short at the last hurdle. We very nearly made it.

To our customers, our employees, and the many people who have supported us in so many ways I say thank you, and I m sorry we couldn t deliver."

Barry Redmond
    Brim Brothers CEO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Update from Brim Brothers.

"It is with great sadness I have to tell you that Brim Brothers is ceasing operations.

We have run out of time and money. The difficulties we have had with production quantities, together with variable accuracy of the finished units when in use, mean that we are unable to deliver and we don t have the resources to continue.

Over the last couple of weeks it has become clear that putting an innovative product into manufacture has more challenges than we planned for, particularly achieving the consistent accuracy that a power meter requires. Our first production batch demonstrated that more time and investment is needed to test and re-test new production processes. This is beyond our resources, and our efforts to find new finance have not been successful.

What this means for you as a customer is that we can t deliver your power meter, and we can t provide a refund. For me personally this is what hurts most, and I wish there was something I could do to change it.

We attempted to create the most innovative power meter in the world, the only wearable power meter, and in doing that we probably took on bigger technical challenges than any other power meter design team. Over the last 8 years we solved so many of the challenges, and created new technologies, but we have fallen short at the last hurdle. We very nearly made it.

To our customers, our employees, and the many people who have supported us in so many ways I say thank you, and I m sorry we couldn t deliver."

Barry Redmond
    Brim Brothers CEO.

No refund? **** that. Was this done through crowd funding?

Yeah through kickstarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

tunney wrote: »
    Yeah I saw that this morning as well and it just raised danger flags. 3/4 years on and looking for more cash, for something that won't sell at the original price point, has very specific requirements on things people are very peculiar about - shoes and pedals (I use Spesh Sworx shoes with Keos - neither will work here).

Danger. Nearly as much danger as a Stages unit in wet weather.

Just saying like

Yeah I saw that this morning as well and it just raised danger flags. 3/4 years on and looking for more cash, for something that won't sell at the original price point, has very specific requirements on things people are very peculiar about - shoes and pedals (I use Spesh Sworx shoes with Keos - neither will work here).

Danger. Nearly as much danger as a Stages unit in wet weather.

Just saying like

Yeah I remember having read that and thought you'd get a good laugh out of the news.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

some customers, 61 in total i believe were offered a Brin Brothers unit from what they had when they went under. they came with a certain set of conditions. No surprised on lac of support or firmware, you'd expect that, but read the conditions, especially the bit in bold, and tell me you still believe the bull$hit about how close to a manufacturable working model they were.

The functional power meters available are only Zone DPMX Single (left side only). We do not have any Zone DPMX Dual available. This offer to ship a Zone DPMX Single is open to you whether you originally selected Single or Dual on Kickstarter.
    The power meters will have no guarantee as to accuracy or robustness.
    The power meters will have no specification as to their accuracy or performance. The previously published specifications will not apply.
    No support or customer service will be available for the power meters. Brim Brothers is ceasing operations so there will be no staff or resources to provide support.
    There will be no firmware updates for the power meters.
    The power meters are not accurate. Their accuracy may vary depending on the shoes they are used with, and on the pedalling style of the rider. That includes variations between different riding conditions, such as indoor trainer versus outdoor road, or seated versus standing.
    There is a possibility that the power meters will suffer a hardware failure and become unusable. No replacement parts or repair service will be available.
    When your power meter arrives you may be liable to pay local taxes and duties.

mossym wrote: »
    some customers, 61 in total i believe were offered a Brin Brothers unit from what they had when they went under. they came with a certain set of conditions. No surprised on lac of support or firmware, you'd expect that, but read the conditions, especially the bit in bold, and tell me you still believe the bull$hit about how close to a manufacturable working model they were.

The functional power meters available are only Zone DPMX Single (left side only). We do not have any Zone DPMX Dual available. This offer to ship a Zone DPMX Single is open to you whether you originally selected Single or Dual on Kickstarter.
    The power meters will have no guarantee as to accuracy or robustness.
    The power meters will have no specification as to their accuracy or performance. The previously published specifications will not apply.
    No support or customer service will be available for the power meters. Brim Brothers is ceasing operations so there will be no staff or resources to provide support.
    There will be no firmware updates for the power meters.
    The power meters are not accurate. Their accuracy may vary depending on the shoes they are used with, and on the pedalling style of the rider. That includes variations between different riding conditions, such as indoor trainer versus outdoor road, or seated versus standing.
    There is a possibility that the power meters will suffer a hardware failure and become unusable. No replacement parts or repair service will be available.
    When your power meter arrives you may be liable to pay local taxes and duties.

It sounds like a total failure of the product.

Well guys, if someone has paid up front and they end up with something that they can do zonal training on a turbo with, its far better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Interesting. Rebranded Power2max. Looks like the older Type S?

Looks like it's basically a rebranded power2max which is a good thing as you get its reliability.

Note the Boardman offering, always reckon its only a matter of a few years before they become an offering with some new road bikes. All that's needed is partnership deals and the likes of rose bikes will include them in its configurator

bbolger wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

There's a brief mention here from GCN at the Taipei cycle show (link from 40secs)

https://youtu.be/QAB1SvyEpZc?t=39

Looks like it's basically a rebranded power2max which is a good thing as you get its reliability.

Note the Boardman offering, always reckon its only a matter of a few years before they become an offering with some new road bikes. All that's needed is partnership deals and the likes of rose bikes will include them in its configurator

Shimano are doing it now.

Canyon do it on their very high end stuff (SRM!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Sram have also started releasing cranksets that are quarq ready, so no need to buy the chainrings and cranks, you can buy the power meter unit itself and add it to the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

It looks like the newer NG model with where the usb cover is positioned but in the tech it says 2% margin of error which would suggest rebranded type S

Needs FSA 386evo bottom bracket which would mean messing with bottom brackets which is always fun, especially if more than one bike.

Looks like p2m & a rotor 3D are still the simplest way getting a spider/crank PM that you can just directly replace your existing shimano cranks with at a "reasonable" price. Kinda funny as you'd think most bikes ship with Shimano cranks so there'd be a bigger market there, but maybe not.

Crocked wrote: »
    It looks like the newer NG model with where the usb cover is positioned but in the tech it says 2% margin of error which would suggest rebranded type S

Needs FSA 386evo bottom bracket which would mean messing with bottom brackets which is always fun, especially if more than one bike.

Looks like p2m & a rotor 3D are still the simplest way getting a spider/crank PM that you can just directly replace your existing shimano cranks with at a "reasonable" price. Kinda funny as you'd think most bikes ship with Shimano cranks so there'd be a bigger market there, but maybe not.

I'd say it comes down to cost

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

NG also has rechargeable battery and this one doesn't, which caused me to conclude it was the Type S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

godtabh wrote: »
    I'd say it comes down to cost

I think it's more trying to push their own BB standard and sell more of them on the back of the PM, along with more cranks. FSA using their 386, Quarq using SRAMs, Rotor use whatever theirs is called etc.

If you have more than one bike and don't want to have one permanently without a crank installed while the PM is installed on the other one you are going to buy a second crankset to put on it. So the manufacturer has now sold a PM, a couple of bottom brackets and a crankset. Obviously if you already use their crankset it's not an issue.

Advertisement