Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Meter Brands

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

That rules that purchase out then as it is €790 and seems to only be available in a compact. Here's hoping Brim Brothers release theirs soon at an "affordable" price. They have their 15 testers picked so hopefully those testers have the units now and maybe DC Rainmaker will have a review in the next few months.

Where did you hear about their 15 testers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

That rules that purchase out then as it is €790 and seems to only be available in a compact. Here's hoping Brim Brothers release theirs soon at an "affordable" price. They have their 15 testers picked so hopefully those testers have the units now and maybe DC Rainmaker will have a review in the next few months.

The site UI is odd. When the page loads, it looks like only certain option is available (e.g. 110) in the dropdown. But if you click 'Choose an Option' it reloads and you can then see the other options, so should see 110 and 130 listed. Applies to every dropdown menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

godtabh wrote: »
    Where did you hear about their 15 testers?

I met Marc Coakley from Brim and he told me. Also got an email which went out to all on the pre-order list. Here's some text from the emails:

"We've selected and notified our Zoniacs to be our test squad for the world's first wearable power meter.

Unfortunately, on this occasion you weren't selected. However, we wanted to thank you for your interest and enthusiasm expressed in your fantastic video.

The response to the ZONE has been inspiring and we're extremely excited for you to get your hands on one. We'll be letting you know as soon as the ZONE becomes available for order. In the mean time, keep cycling and get ready to train with power."

"We have selected and notified our Zoniacs and they're ready to revolutionise how cyclists measure power!

Thanks for all of your applications and fantastic video entries.

Once our talented team of testers have completed putting the ZONE through its paces, you'll be able to follow their journeys in our upcoming blog."

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

This seems like a very tempting price - just over €500. Proven technology etc so less of the risk of stages http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycleops-powertap-pro-hub-only/

Anyone seen better price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

fago wrote: »
    This seems like a very tempting price - just over €500. Proven technology etc so less of the risk of stages http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycleops-powertap-pro-hub-only/

budget another 100 - 150 for wheel build, and you need to have an ANT + compatible head unit. I went for one of these nearly 2 years ago and apart from changing batteries and bearings havent had any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

lennymc wrote: »
    budget another 100 - 150 for wheel build, and you need to have an ANT + compatible head unit. I went for one of these nearly 2 years ago and apart from changing batteries and bearings havent had any problems.

What spoke option did you end up going with? Do you primarily train on them or race and train? Looking at getting a set as I just love using Campag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I bought a set of the powertap pro built up with cycleops rims, second hand and very happy with them. Use them with a bryton rider 50 head unit, can also use them with the Experia Z1 too

They are 36 hole shimano

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Borderfox wrote: »
    I bought a set of the powertap pro built up with cycleops rims, second hand and very happy with them. Use them with a bryton rider 50 head unit, can also use them with the Experia Z1 too

They are 36 hole shimano

How do you use it with the Xperia Z1 please? I know the phone is Ant+, as is my Galaxy S5, but last I looked there weren't any apps that took any useful advantage of the fact, this was a while ago though. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Sarz91 wrote: »
    What spoke option did you end up going with? Do you primarily train on them or race and train? Looking at getting a set as I just love using Campag.

I built my 32-hole PowerTap with an Ambrosio Excellight rim and ACI spokes. It has been quite reliable overall, though I’ve had to replace the bearings within a year (batteries too, but that’s to be expected), but it is significantly heavier than the wheels that I nominate as my racing wheels. I have used it in a race and wasn’t conscious of the additional weight on what was a relatively flat circuit, but when considering which wheels to use ahead of a race the PowerTap tends to go to the bottom of the list.

If I was buying one now, I’d go for a 28-hole or 24-hole (I bought my 32h one from Wiggle when it was on sale at the same price as the current Wiggle offer, and the choice was very limited at the time). I might even consider a 20-hole but I’ve read online accounts of people finding they flex too much. At my weight of 57kg I wouldn’t worry about flex at all with a 28h or 24h though and would race on it. I’d go with lighter spokes too, I’d seriously consider Sapim CX-rays though they’d add a lot to the cost. I’m currently considering rebuilding my own one to make it more race-friendly by replacing the spokes with CX-rays.

Bear in mind that replacing the bearings in a PowerTap is deemed *not* a DIY job by CycleOps. I replaced the bearings in mine myself and will continue to do so in the future, but if I damage the hub in the process then it’ll make for an expensive repair. I consider it unlikely I’ll damage it, but I can’t rule it out, so the DIY route is not for the faint-hearted. Having the bearings replaced by an authorised dealer is pricey and something to bear in mind when comparing power meter prices (the same thing probably applies to some of the other power meters too, of course, whether for replacing bearings or replacing batteries).

Incidentally, I bought mine with a Campag freehub but you can also buy a Shimano/SRAM freehub and swap between them if you wish. The freehub is in or around 100euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

doozerie wrote: »
    Bear in mind that replacing the bearings in a PowerTap is deemed *not* a DIY job by CycleOps. I replaced the bearings in mine myself and will continue to do so in the future, but if I damage the hub in the process then it’ll make for an expensive repair. I consider it unlikely I’ll damage it, but I can’t rule it out, so the DIY route is not for the faint-hearted. Having the bearings replaced by an authorised dealer is pricey and something to bear in mind when comparing power meter prices (the same thing probably applies to some of the other power meters too, of course, whether for replacing bearings or replacing batteries).

How much is it to have the bearings replaced by an authorised dealer? Do you know of some in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Cond0r wrote: »
    How much is it to have the bearings replaced by an authorised dealer? Do you know of some in Dublin?

The only official service centre that I am aware of off-hand is Paligap in the UK. They seem to charge £50 to service the wheel, plus shipping charge of £19.50 for Ireland, plus parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Inquitus wrote: »
    How do you use it with the Xperia Z1 please? I know the phone is Ant+, as is my Galaxy S5, but last I looked there weren't any apps that took any useful advantage of the fact, this was a while ago though. Thanks.

Ant+ radio service from Google play and map my ride uses ant aswell as bluetooth to gather from sensors

fago wrote: »

This is a great price, but I just noticed that the Shimano freehub on it won't take an 11speed cassette. The 11speed freehub is another €86. BAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

I can justify getting a PM. I can't justify upgrading perfectly functioning 6 year old 10 speed dura ace groupset to 11 speed....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

mossym wrote: »
    definitely not only in a compact, my standard version just arrived last night, 130 bcd, standard praxxis chain rings, rotor 3d cranks.

just had a look on the site and the 130 standard is still available in the rotor 3d

How are you finding the praxis rings any noticeable difference with the shifting? I'd be tempted to add them on when I finally have the funds again for a P2Max

There's mention of the p2m s-type being available for the Shimano 4-arm crank, but I can't find one that's compatible - anyone know more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Cond0r wrote: »
    There's mention of the p2m s-type being available for the Shimano 4-arm crank, but I can't find one that's compatible - anyone know more?

The crank itself can not be used with a p2m s type as the shimano crank and 4 arm spyder is one piece. What they have developed is a 4 hole p2m spyder which will work with shimano 4 hole chainrings.

See rotor crank with 4 hole spyder and Dura Ace rings in DCrainmakers review

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/power2max-releases-compatibility.html

clog wrote: »
    The crank itself can not be used with a p2m s type as the shimano crank and 4 arm spyder is one piece. What they have developed is a 4 hole p2m spyder which will work with shimano 4 hole chainrings.

See rotor crank with 4 hole spyder and Dura Ace rings in DCrainmakers review

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/power2max-releases-compatibility.html

Ah, that makes sense. Alas, I don't see the 4-bolt version on their site. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

sorry - only saw this now. Mavic open pro rim with dt swiss spokes. 28 hole. The freehub on the powertap is very easy to change and it is available in shimano or campag. The latest G3 powertap hub is available here for 749 as part of a wheel set and is about the best value (IMHO) for powertaps that's out there at the moment. I have raced and trained through a couple of winters with mine. Also raced some cx with it after a quick change of tyres..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

lennymc wrote: »
    sorry - only saw this now. Mavic open pro rim with dt swiss spokes. 28 hole. The freehub on the powertap is very easy to change and it is available in shimano or campag. The latest G3 powertap hub is available here for 749 as part of a wheel set and is about the best value (IMHO) for powertaps that's out there at the moment. I have raced and trained through a couple of winters with mine. Also raced some cx with it after a quick change of tyres..... :)

Cheers mate. From what you linked it seems a Campag free hub option is ~€250 more than Shimano or SRAM. That seem right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Cheers mate. From what you linked it seems a Campag free hub option is ~€250 more than Shimano or SRAM. That seem right?

Looks as if Powermeter24 won't have the Campag set in stock anyway for a 2-3 weeks.

They seem to be doing a special on the shimano stock that they have. That is a very good price for a pair of wheels as you don't need to factor in any other costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Willo2011

Anyone else got a Stages and finding it good?

I did a decent bit of research before I got mine. Cost was the main factor in me choosing it but I also read up a little bit on it first. I saw a review on road.cc website that clinched it for me (fooking boards won't let me link it as I've only 11 posts so far!)

I did a bit of digging around before I got one off swimcyclerun.com. Can't remember what is cost me now but it was about 1/2 the price of the Garmin Vectors (with a 10% discount using the code Race14 which I got from another thread). I got it in June and its worked perfectly since I got it. I had read that some people had problems with the early batches of the Stages, mine was manufactured in May 2014 and no problems with it so far training 4 times a week, some sessions on the turbo and others around Wicklow.

I ended up buying the Power Meter Handbook by Joe Friel and I think my training is definitely more focused/specific now. If you wanna train really scientifically then power meters are a good investment. Can't wait to get a good winter using it and see my numbers improve (hopefuly!)

Willo2011 wrote: »
    Snip

I have had my Stages over 2 months now and about 2500km, hasn't missed a beat so far, very happy with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Ryath wrote: »
    How are you finding the praxis rings any noticeable difference with the shifting? I'd be tempted to add them on when I finally have the funds again for a P2Max

definitely much crisper shifting than with the chain rings that were on it, FSA i presume as it was an FSA crankset that was on it.

soon as you see them you can see the quality in them. very impressed, the reviews i read before hand were all very postive, and i'm not seeing anything that says they are wrong

i see garmin are releasing a single pedal version of the vectors at a noticably reduced cost to the two pedal version

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/garmin-vector-s-left-pedal-power-meter-42140/

mossym wrote: »
    i see garmin are releasing a single pedal version of the vectors at a noticably reduced cost to the two pedal version

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/garmin-vector-s-left-pedal-power-meter-42140/

A sensible move, I am not convinced L/R Balance is a required metric, and the ability to have power now and upgrade tomorrow to L/R should you wish to is definitely very attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

looks good. priced similar to stages as well but i would think more flexible for moving between bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

Another option

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/xpedo-launches-new-thrust-e-power-meter-pedals-42234/
    • US$1,100
    • Electronics for the Thrust E pedals are located within the confines of the pedal body.
    We must be getting nearer to power meters for the masses

delynet wrote: »
    Another option

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/xpedo-launches-new-thrust-e-power-meter-pedals-42234/
    • US$1,100
    • Electronics for the Thrust E pedals are located within the confines of the pedal body.
    We must be getting nearer to power meters for the masses

Not at that price I reckon. A guess and I'd say the 300 mark would be the upper limit

Plus I saw a pic of those that made them look really bulky. Not what I'd want in a pedal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Agreed, they are very bulky alright. Having switched to Speedplay Zero during the summer I wouldn't fancy going back to anything else. Hopefully Brim Brothers will have an announcement on 10 Sept from Interbike about their pm. I wonder will Stages release a new model soon which might result in a price drop maybe. How long are they out at this stage?

Advertisement