Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dino Death Trap Found, Includes Six Utahraptors, two dragon-horses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Am very curious as to the new look/shape that Kirkland has alluded to a number of times now.

Quite enjoyed the fictional book, Raptor Red, ( by Bakker) and how it described Utahraptors, so am hoping we get a peek at the new look soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm getting a bit sick of Kirkland's constant teasing. Either give us some information or don't for crying out loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Apparently the "new look" is a more robust, short-legged one, with a slightly downturned jaw and protruding lower teeth. It also turns out to be shorter in length than previously believed- 5-6 meters rather than 6-7, and was obviously a strong animal, but not a very fast runner.

This silouette by Scott Hartman is apparently based on the new fossils:

tumblr_n2t463Bc1x1rqeszyo1_1280.png

Not sure how I feel about the feather fan everyone gives their raptors' tails nowaday...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am intrigued but oddly, not that much any more. I agree with Galvesean, either tell us or don't bother, there are other interesting beasties out there.

Yeah, same here actually... paleontologists seem to believe we will all live millions of years...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Adam Khor wrote: »
    It also turns out to be shorter in length than previously believed- 5-6 meters rather than 6-7,

I love reminding people that the velociraptors in Jurassic Park aren't that big in real life.

And then telling them about Utahraptor

velociraptors.jpg

Real-life Velociraptors could possibly enter through the dog flap :D

The Jurassic Park raptors are based on Deinonychus. I remember reading in various books/websites that the largest Deinonychus were over 3.4 meters long which is a really big animal. If I remember clearly, Utahraptor was found/announced when the movie was already into production (there was even the idea of naming it after Spielberg)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Real-life Velociraptors could possibly enter through the dog flap :D
    raptor_fences.png

Advertisement