Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder alarm set up advice

Options
  • 12-01-2014 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭

Hi. Looking to have an intruder alarm installed on my Have a friend moving in and i'd like a more modern working alarm in for her. Existing one is ancient and on the fritz apparently.

I have read good things about the HKC securewave but before i arrange to have the site surveyed i'd like to know what I should want for maximum protection when i speak with the guys after the look at the house.

Is the HKC securewave as good a system? What is best to get on the windows?
    I have heard about contacts, sensors, etc. But i'm not sure what way is the best to go. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The best type of system in a house is one that employs shock sensors and contacts to all of the perimeter windows and doors on the ground floor.
    Also windows on the first floor which have easy roof access should also be treated as downstairs windows.
    With regard to the remainder of the windows upstairs, that in my own book is personal choice. But if these are not been done then I would certainly suggest in all situations that beams be fitted to the landing, master bedroom and downstairs hallway.
    You have 3 monitoring options with the Securewave panel, these are security companu monitoring which is the best, then the convience self monitoring via voice or text messaging.
    If you are going for the wireless system it is always best to, if at all possible to get them to fit a wired bell box.
    Also your existing wiring infrastructure could, depending on its current condition of course, be used for your new system.

Ps as far as I am concerned and in fairness to HKC, the Securewave panel does tick all the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Thanks for the detailed reply. Exactly the info I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Thanks for the detailed reply. Exactly the info I was looking for.

You are welcome, good luck with it and if you need any more info you know where we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

kub wrote: »
    The best type of system in a house is one that employs shock sensors and contacts to all of the perimeter windows and doors on the ground floor.
    Also windows on the first floor which have easy roof access should also be treated as downstairs windows.
    With regard to the remainder of the windows upstairs, that in my own book is personal choice. But if these are not been done then I would certainly suggest in all situations that beams be fitted to the landing, master bedroom and downstairs hallway.
    You have 3 monitoring options with the Securewave panel, these are security companu monitoring which is the best, then the convience self monitoring via voice or text messaging.
    If you are going for the wireless system it is always best to, if at all possible to get them to fit a wired bell box.
    Also your existing wiring infrastructure could, depending on its current condition of course, be used for your new system.

Ps as far as I am concerned and in fairness to HKC, the Securewave panel does tick all the boxes.

Hi,
    Why did you chose contact for doors/windows rather than using sensitive PIRs !?
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,
    Why did you chose contact for doors/windows rather than using sensitive PIRs !?
    Thanks.

Because with PiRs the alarm will not activate until an intruder is actually in the house. By then the damage is done. to be deterring any potential intruder at the earliest possible moment. Inertia shock sensors & contacts will do just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi All, I have an elderly Dad who has lived in the house for over 60 years (with no attempted burglaries). However recently there has been some attempted break-ins in the area.
    To give him and the family some peace of mind - I said I would look into installing a simple system.
    Criteria are:
    Limited Budget €
    Ease of Use (possible key-fob)
    DIY install (so probably wireless)
    Downstairs: 2 x doors, 3 windows (on in the kitchen, window near cooker so heat & steam/moisture is an issue)
    Upstairs: 4 x windows
    He already has a monitored phone alarm installed (pendent & smoke alarm).

I have seen the Yale in Argos & Maplins and note that these systems are not recommended.
    Presuming I need, 2 x Door contacts, 3 x window sensors, 2 x Pirs, 1 x control panel, 1 x external bell. Anything else???

Where/who is a good supplier of a wireless system to meet the above requirements at a reasonable cost.

Many thanks (in advance) for you consideration and advice

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Keep away from the DIY panels in the likes of B & Q, Argos etc..
    Have a look at these panels if you are looking at wireless etc
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056676131

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Thanks KoolKid,
    Will probably go with one of these "starter systems" and add-on to it in the future when funds available.

Advertisement