Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my wife leave the country with my daughter?

Options
  • 12-01-2014 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, Ive bein married for 3 years with a two year old daughter my wife is american and my daughter was born here and lived here since she was born my daughter holds an irish passport,my wife want to leave me and take my child to America do I have any rights or say in this Im really stressed out advice would be great thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Philkk wrote: »
    Hi, Ive bein married for 3 years with a two year old daughter my wife is american and my daughter was born here and lived here since she was born my daughter holds an irish passport,my wife want to leave me and take my child to America do I have any rights or say in this Im really stressed out advice would be great thanks..

You need to talk a solicitor . This is one case where qualified legal advice is called
    for - not the views of anonymous strangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Legally she cannot, but in reality she can. No one will check at the airport for example, but you could have her charged with kidnapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Draig

Philkk wrote: »

You've got my sympathy, it's really not a good situation for anyone. I went through it a few years ago with my then 2 year old.

The only advice I'll give is to talk to a solicitor right away so you know what your daughter's mother can and can't do and to see where you stand.

This isn't out of your control. if it does end up in court the judge will decide what's best for your daughter. So start thinking about reasons why your daughter is better off in Ireland. and you are a big reason why.

Advertisement