Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray and how it could be.

• 12-01-2014 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I believe Bray people are too hard on the town and outsiders just knock the place without knowing anything(probably live in a real hell hole).

According to my grandparents , bray was once a amazing town .It has slipped down the desirability list in recent years, but i do not believe it is a lost cause.
    It has a lot going for it and with a bit of work the town could be a very desirable location to live.
    Its close to a dublin, a capitol city. All the main arts tours will preform there, no problem to see concerts with major acts , all the main Brands have a retail outlet in dublin. Within a 30 minute drive you can buy anything you want.
    Dublin airport is a 40 minute drive.
    Some of the best nature walks are on its door step. The wicklow mountains, glendalough, powercourt are 20 minutes away.
    The beach is a great feature, if you know anyone from a land locked country, you will see how appreciative they are.
    The cliff walk then up to bray head is a under appreciated gem.
    If the crime level is higher than the rest of the country i have not heard about it.
    Is it without faults , hell no. The florentine center is a disgrace, the council have a lot to answer about that. Finish the work on the river, and encourage more shops and pubs to open in the town.
    It a town of great potential.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

There are a huge amount of undesirables in the town. Its more than most towns IMO

They have ruined Bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

R.F. wrote: »
    There are a huge amount of undesirables in the town. Its more than most towns IMO

They have ruined Bray.

I've lived in Bray for 7 years, and honestly I don't see too many undesirables so long as I stay out of Tesco. I find most other areas and people to be quite desirable indeed.

What do you find that is ruined by these undesirables? And how would you rather it be?

I wonder how different age demographics respond to the town? I'm in my early thirties and honestly can't find much to complain about. (At least not broad, sweeping complaints.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

gavinjc wrote: »
    I've lived in Bray for 7 years, and honestly I don't see too many undesirables so long as I stay out of Tesco. I find most other areas and people to be quite desirable indeed.

What do you find that is ruined by these undesirables? And how would you rather it be?

I wonder how different age demographics respond to the town? I'm in my early thirties and honestly can't find much to complain about. (At least not broad, sweeping complaints.)

If you grew up in bray you would know how to spot them easily and generally where they come from :) but you are right they didn't ruin bray.

Bray town council have allot to answer tbh the place is like tramore, seems like it has been a closed shop in terms of opening new business for quite some time and the planning / layout of the town has reduced it to a huge choke point at peak times. It's easier to drive to dun drum at times than it is to go into bray and it costs less and bigger selection.

It however has allot going for it and hopefully it will transform from an amusement type centre into a commuter town. I think when people out it down a bit they see the potential and are just frustrated it's not being realised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The main street is a disgrace as is the traffic. I've lived here for 20 plus years. Unless your gormless with no street smarts then you'll stay clear of trouble, I've never had any fisticuffs to speak of.

Why do you stay clear of Tesco's - Gavinjc?

Ross O'Carroll Kelly sums Bray up best.

"Someone says Bray to you, what do you think of? Slot-machines, pound shops, men with scaldy faces."

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

I walk from the train station to the main street every weekday morning and evening. There is barely a day were I dont encounter drunk or off their face undesirables.

It is certainly the worst town in Wicklow for this and worse than many areas of Dublin too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'd wager we compare favourably against other towns/areas containing nearly 30,000 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Calhoun wrote: »
    If you grew up in bray you would know how to spot them easily and generally where they come from :) but you are right they didn't ruin bray.

Bray town council have allot to answer tbh the place is like tramore, seems like it has been a closed shop in terms of opening new business for quite some time and the planning / layout of the town has reduced it to a huge choke point at peak times. It's easier to drive to dun drum at times than it is to go into bray and it costs less and bigger selection.

It however has allot going for it and hopefully it will transform from an amusement type centre into a commuter town. I think when people out it down a bit they see the potential and are just frustrated it's not being realised.

Unless I'm missing something here, Bray has been a 'commuter town' for decades but that doesn't meant that it has to turn its back on its natural beauty/tourist potential as has happened. Bray is at the entrance to the Garden of Ireland and apart from the beautiful situation of the town itself, it's on the doorstep of the Wicklow Mountains, Powerscourt etc.etc. but it needs vision - like that shown by William Dargan back in Victorian times to make the best of its natural assets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Seriously if they got rid of the pubs/clubs on the seafront and put some nice restaurants, wine bars and coffee shops there, it would be an amazing spot.

Too much money being made by the same crowd, that crowd is destroying the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Unless I'm missing something here, Bray has been a 'commuter town' for decades but that doesn't meant that it has to turn its back on its natural beauty/tourist potential as has happened. Bray is at the entrance to the Garden of Ireland and apart from the beautiful situation of the town itself, it's on the doorstep of the Wicklow Mountains, Powerscourt etc.etc. but it needs vision - like that shown by William Dargan back in Victorian times to make the best of its natural assets.

I meant more along the lines that allot of the amusements and attractions that existed along the beach have been in decline for a long time, its lucky it still has the beautiful views and the natural amenities but the business in that area is probably terminal.

I never said it needed to turn its back on it i meant it needs to be more open to its growth areas or as you said have a vision to take advantage of where it is. I know if i was travelling to some of the items on its doorstep the traffic management problem is just one of the reasons i would generally not go near the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Bray has huge potential. Unfortunately ruined by poor council planning and lack of investment in the right things.

The Harbour area is a totally wasted resource long unloved. It could be a mini little Dun Laoighaire with the right investment. Florentine Centre needs to be done right and it could totaly transform the town centre, or it could ruin it.

The area from the seafront to the main street could be a beautiful little town if done right.

I'd also stop the carnival from bringing in vomit makers in the summertime. Bring the carousell, the big wheel, the coconut stand, like an old Victorian fair and it would be lovely, but the vomit makers attract scumbags.

• Advertisement

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Why do you stay clear of Tesco's - Gavinjc?

Well, I really stay away from it because I think it's an appalling Tesco (as Tesco go) - but in relation to this thread - I find that there are a lot more 'undesirables' there than can be found in Superquinn.

Well, I really stay away from it because I think it's an appalling Tesco (as Tesco go) - but in relation to this thread - I find that there are a lot more 'undesirables' there than can be found in Superquinn.

When you say "undesirables", what category of people come under that banner? Superquinn was in tatters until it recently got a make over. Tesco's does need a revamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ah Heyyyyaaar. Leave ih ouuuuuuhh!!

We must be talking to a member of the aristocracy if he/she thinks Tesco is full of undesirables. We peasants who wont pay Superquinn prices! God, what must he/she think of the clientele of Lidl and Aldi!! :D

Maybe there's young wans licking their lips at the ripe juicy cucumbers.

Calibos wrote: »
    Ah Heyyyyaaar. Leave ih ouuuuuuhh!!

We must be talking to a member of the aristocracy if he/she thinks Tesco is full of undesirables. We peasants who wont pay Superquinn prices! God, what must he/she think of the clientele of Lidl and Aldi!! :D

Believe me, I'm no Richie Rich - but I do like a nice shop. And Superquinn really isn't all that pricey you know. I could go into our budget, and you'd be surprised - all I'll say is that if you're on a tight budget as we are - the superscan gun is brilliant.

Also, I didn't say Tesco is full of undesirables.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    When you say "undesirables", what category of people come under that banner? Superquinn was in tatters until it recently got a make over. Tesco's does need a revamp.

Pyjamas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't live in Bray, but it would be our local town... We've never noticed anything in Tesco, or a high number of undesirables there.

From a shopping point of view, they need to eleminate the anti-social behaviour, or at least the perception of anti-social behaviour in and around main street (around the church for example). I grew up in a city with a repuation, and there's enough going on on Main Street and dodgy characters that makes me nervous when I'm in there with my children. Having said that, our visits to Bray shopping really dropped off when the Church car park went pay and display - it might seem minor, but we really couldn't be arsed in our limited time off getting into the pot luck of the pay and display and doing laps of a car park, compared to the queing at the hut, but knowing there was a space if you got in. With the Florentine car park up and running that's not as bad, but the period where it was mental to get parked broke our habit of going to Bray for shopping. The Florentine could reinvigorate the town with good anchor (a decent sized Penney's wouldn't be the worst), but the lesson from the UK is that smaller towns can't compete with a big out of town centre (which Dundrum essentially is) unfortunately.

The sea front is a great amenity, ruined by the funfair(s). The youths it draws in, the increase in litter/ broken glass on the beach, and the threat of pester power, means we go to Greystones by default whenever the fairs on if we want a walk along a seafront. The oft mentioned playground on the front would be a great addition though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i shop in both superquinn and tesco, i really don't be paying too much attention to who's around me and wether they're undesirable or not, I just crank my earphone volume up and pick up my stuff and leave. I hate shopping so, in, out, quicker than Usain Bolt is my MO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I shop in superquinn and tesco bray fairly regularly and never notice any "undesirables"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I really wish I hadn't mentioned the Tesco thing because I don't have enough faith in my convictions on that one! I stand down and revert to my original point that I think Bray is great.

• Advertisement

I shop in superquinn and tesco bray fairly regularly and never notice any "undesirables"
    I'm in Tesco now. Looking around at everyone. No undesirables. No PJs.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Seriously if they got rid of the pubs/clubs on the seafront and put some nice restaurants, wine bars and coffee shops there, it would be an amazing spot.

Too much money being made by the same crowd, that crowd is destroying the place.

Who are "that crowd"?

There are some great coffee shops in the town, two wine bars (now that the small one opposite Campo has closed - not sure if it has reopened) and there are 3 nice restaurant along the beach (Campo, Platform & Ocean) if you disregard the Martello & the Porterhouse.

I don't think that the presence of the pubs has any negative affect on the town (until closing when it gets noisy - no more or less than clubs/pubs in other towns).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I came to live in Bray aged 12 (a long time ago!), and believe you me, I still thank God that it was Bray I 'ended up in' rather than the previous town where my family lived. It's wonderful to have natural resources like sea and mountains on our doorstep. And the town itself is way prettier than where I came from (I was back there last year, and won't say the name of the town, but my goodness, it felt ugly and I was SO glad not to be living there).

To be so close to the nation's capital is a terrific bonus. It means there's so much easily available to us - transport links, hospitals, educational establishments, entertainment, and just the possibility of being able to walk down a street and feel anonymous - something I really appreciated as a teenager, having come from 'small-town-land'.

Only this morning as I was parked down at Superquinn (had to go to another shop in the centre at Castle Street*), I was asking myself what would I like to be changed about Bray, and the two things were the ludicrous traffic situation and the abysmal shopping facilities/run down Main St. I live at the southern end of the town, and sometimes it can take the 145 bus longer to get through Bray town than it does to travel the rest of the way into the city centre.

I have a relative who lives in Kilkenny, and that place is buzzing compared to Bray - shops with 'staff required' notices, and thriving businesses.

But I like the harbour the way it is - I like the fact that it's a bit underdeveloped and 'undone'. Don't let anyone go near it lest it turns out like the Greystones debacle!

I believe there are a few more decent restaurants down the seafront these days - and I do hope that Bray is indeed very 'salvageable'.

Wicklow as a county really has the best of both worlds - I feel incredibly blessed to live where I do.

* I've recently started doing a weekly-or-so grocery shop in Dunnes Stores Leopardstown (Ballyogan). It takes me 11 mins to get from their car-park to home. Otherwise I shop at Lidl in Greystones or Aldi in Bray for bits n' bobs. For clothes I go to Liffey Valley - 30 mins by car, and no traffic or parking problems. Traffic and lack of decent shops are such a disadvantage to poor old Bray.

I'm in Tesco now. Looking around at everyone. No undesirables. No PJs.

Went to Superquinn as well today. No PJs. No undesirables.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I used to go to Tescos a lot until recently.

I think I may well be an undesirable.:eek:

Advertisement