Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking rates in Dún Laoghaire Rathdown

Options
  • 12-01-2014 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭

Given the much discussion on parking prices in DLR, it should be of interest to many of you that parking rates have been cut by 25% in the Council's latest Budget. Previously €2.00, now it'll be €1.50 per hour.

Perhaps this will finally undercut the parking rates of shopping centre multistoreys, and might give a boost to the Main Streets in the area.

Additionally, there will be a new grant for shopfront-improvement, and to encourage occupancy of vancant shops.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/newsevents/latestnews/title,10252,en.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aard wrote: »
    Given the much discussion on parking prices in DLR, it should be of interest to many of you that parking rates have been cut by 25% in the Council's latest Budget. Previously €2.00, now it'll be €1.50 per hour.

Hang on, there are 16 different codes (DA, DB, DC etc. ) for parking in DLR (vs. only five in Dublin city) when you pay by phone using parkingtag.ie - why is that the case if the charge is the same everywhere as your post implies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Oh excellent! It will now only cost me €4.50 for 3 hours to park on the side of the street in Dun Laoghaire with its inferior shops compared to €2 in Dundrum Town Centre with its indoor parking and better shops..

Or indeed, I can go to Stillorgan or Nutgrove or Carrickmines and park for free..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

coylemj wrote: »
    Hang on, there are 16 different codes (DA, DB, DC etc. ) for parking in DLR (vs. only five in Dublin city) when you pay by phone using parkingtag.ie - why is that the case if the charge is the same everywhere as your post implies?

I really have no idea. I don't ever need to use parking -- I just came across this info and thought it might be useful. Evidently not if it's the case that there are 16 different codes. (Does 'code' here equal 'rate'? As in are there 16 different rates in DLR? Because if not, and I am totally just venturing a guess here, the different codes could just be a way of keeping track of how busy different parking areas are?)

homer911 wrote: »
    Or indeed, I can go to Stillorgan or Nutgrove or Carrickmines and park for free..

Gotta love heavily-subsidised free parking!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

homer911 wrote: »
    Oh excellent! It will now only cost me €4.50 for 3 hours to park on the side of the street in Dun Laoghaire with its inferior shops compared to €2 in Dundrum Town Centre with its indoor parking and better shops..

In fairness, those places are private property who couldn't exist without large car parks, they have a vested interest in making it easy to park on their premises. In the case of Stillorgan SC, a parking company employee goes around logging registration numbers to enforce time limits.

If DLR provided free or very cheap street parking, it would be abused by commuters parking all day and blocking the streets for casual drivers looking to do a bit of shopping. That's exactly the same reason why hospitals long ago stopped providing free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In fairness, those places are private property who couldn't exist without large car parks, they have a vested interest in making it easy to park on their premises. In the case of Stillorgan SC, a parking company employee goes around logging registration numbers to enforce time limits.

If DLR provided free or very cheap street parking, it would be abused by commuters parking all day and blocking the streets for casual drivers looking to do a bit of shopping. That's exactly the same reason why hospitals long ago stopped providing free parking.

Absolutely, before 2001 the place was a disaster to find short term parking or even to pass another car safely on a lot of the streets around the town - although I do think they have overdone the yellow lined areas, whole stretches of road seem to be off limits for no obvious safety reason.

I think its more the 3 hour limit than the cost thats effective for limiting commuters, I think €1 an hour up to the 3 hour limit would be plenty fair and in line with towns around the country of a similar size, then maybe charge €4 for all day parking in the relevant locations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Dun Laoghaire needs cheap parking for shoppers, up to 3 hours. They can charge what they like after that as far as I'm concerned to deter commuters. The fact is that local business in dieing without shoppers, and shoppers come by car, but wont pay these parking rates. When the shops are gone, or they cant afford to pay their rates, maybe DLR will finally wake up!

The local shop owners need to band together to get this fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Perhaps the €2.00 rate is the highest rate so it's the only one changing or the only one mentioned in the press release.

Advertisement