Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pump replacement and cost ?

• 12-01-2014 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just had issue with water pump in my apartment, tripping out the power. Plumber came out and replaced the capacitor and PCB. Turns out there are some other issues eg Float Valve and vessel need to be replaced. Not cost effective to replace these parts, has suggested replacing with a reconditioned pump for €500 + vat. Does this sound reasonable, no idea what these cost new ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

Beatpap wrote: »
    Just had issue with water pump in my apartment, tripping out the power. Plumber came out and replaced the capacitor and PCB. Turns out there are some other issues eg Float Valve and vessel need to be replaced. Not cost effective to replace these parts, has suggested replacing with a reconditioned pump for €500 + vat. Does this sound reasonable, no idea what these cost new ?

Thanks

That sounds expensive for reconditioned. What type/make/model of pump is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

Didn’t realise how expensive they are till I just checked them out now, seen some new ones for €325 then spotted the one below,

I reckon if you have no worries wiring a plug you shouldn’t have any problem wiring and replacing this pump yourself,

BE SURE TO TURN OFF ALL POWER AT THE MAINS,

First link is the pump and the other will show you how it can be replaced, your stop valves might be a little different,

It may be that you have the inline type where you will need a screwdriver to turn the stop valve,

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/GRUNDFOS-UPS-15-50-PUMP-5-METER-HEAD-96281422-/290608797595?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item43a9a2579b

http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/diy-home/repairs-fixes/how-change-your-central-heating-pump

I'm not saying this pump is right for your system... just letting you know how much you can save with an easy fix DIY

mann wrote: »
    Didn’t realise how expensive they are till I just checked them out now, seen some new ones for €325 then spotted the one below,

I reckon if you have no worries wiring a plug you shouldn’t have any problem wiring and replacing this pump yourself,

BE SURE TO TURN OFF ALL POWER AT THE MAINS,

First link is the pump and the other will show you how it can be replaced, your stop valves might be a little different,

It may be that you have the inline type where you will need a screwdriver to turn the stop valve,

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/GRUNDFOS-UPS-15-50-PUMP-5-METER-HEAD-96281422-/290608797595?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item43a9a2579b

http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/diy-home/repairs-fixes/how-change-your-central-heating-pump

I'm not saying this pump is right for your system... just letting you know how much you can save with an easy fix DIY

I don't think it's a heating pump the poster is asking about. Judging by the price quoted €500, he's talking about a booster pump for the hot & cold to fixtures.

Can The OP confirm what type of pump your talking about, cause if anyone asked me for €500 to replace a heating pump for a new one let alone a reconditioned one he'd be ran out the door with a shot gun on his tail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Thanks

500euro + vat for a recon pump!!
    I think he is trying a fast one.
    Get the make and model details of the pump and we will try to help you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

as above!500 for a recon pump!
    if its a stuart turner pump you can buy any part for them.take a picture of the pump and post it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Beatpap

It's the boster pump for hot and cold. I'm overseas at the moment so property is being managed for me. I have queried cost and asked for more details.

It's the boster pump for hot and cold. I'm overseas at the moment so property is being managed for me. I have queried cost and asked for more details.

depending on the make of pump you would get a new one for less than €500

And the price of two flow sensors and a pressure vessel with fitting will be nothing close to 500 euro.

The pump being offered is a Stuart Turner 1.5 Bar, Negative Head pump - reconditioned is 500 + vat installed. New one would be€900.00 plus VAT installed. Not sure what to do. Need to sort this out for tenant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I think there 670 inc vat.

Id have it changed in hour at the most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I think there 670 inc vat.

Id have it changed in hour at the most.

Not saying the other price is correct but would you go look at the job, see what has to be done, drive to the suppliers to get the pump & parts, drive back, install it & test it all in one hour?

That's a lot in one hour. You must factor in all of the above along with what it takes to install it as it always sounds like it's very easy to knock somebody's price on a forum when nobody only the installer has seen the job.

€500 incl vat for a recon pump & including labour & parts is not bad IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

shane0007 wrote: »
    Not saying the other price is correct but would you go look at the job, see what has to be done, drive to the suppliers to get the pump & parts, drive back, install it & test it all in one hour?

That's a lot in one hour. You must factor in all of the above along with what it takes to install it as it always sounds like it's very easy to knock somebody's price on a forum when nobody only the installer has seen the job.

€500 incl vat for a recon pump & including labour & parts is not bad IMO.

I know what ya mean. Which is why I'll rarely put prices up here.

I agree the 500 plus isnt bad. If it was me id go new. Too many little bits to go wrong on them.

Seals, bearings, flow and pressure switches, expansion vessel, pcb, impellers. All go wrong with them. Does reconditioned just sort the specific problem that caused problem or what.

And imo the new ones are far better. Soo quiet compared to old

Beatpap, my advice is to get a second opinion, what area are you (the apt) in.

Unless the motor is burnt out, which has not been mentiond, flow sensors and an expansion vessel will not cost anywhere near 500 euro to replace.
    If the pump is reconditioned I would like to know what parts have been replaced.
    Flow sensors, pressure switch, non-return valves, water seals, pcb and capacitors are the usual suspects and I have never had to replace a vessel.
    But if these were all guaranteed to have been replaced (all easily checked except for the seals) then I would say ok, but your still relying on an old motor.

Generally, if it's reconditioned, the only old parts are non-serviceable parts such as casings, etc.
    Recon would mean all new parts.
    If it's not a recon & just one that had a faulty motor replaced, then it is not a recon pump, but just a repaired second hand one.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Beatpap, my advice is to get a second opinion, what area are you (the apt) in.

Unless the motor is burnt out, which has not been mentiond, flow sensors and an expansion vessel will not cost anywhere near 500 euro to replace.
    If the pump is reconditioned I would like to know what parts have been replaced.
    Flow sensors, pressure switch, non-return valves, water seals, pcb and capacitors are the usual suspects and I have never had to replace a vessel.
    But if these were all guaranteed to have been replaced (all easily checked except for the seals) then I would say ok, but your still relying on an old motor.

In south Dublin but need to get this sorted rather quickly. Any recommendations on who might be good for second opinion ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

if it is a recon pump thats fine,but youd want to be getting some sort of guarantee with it.

if he cant guarantee it you might aswell just fix your old one at least you know what you have then

rightjob! wrote: »
    if it is a recon pump thats fine,but youd want to be getting some sort of guarantee with it.

if he cant guarantee it you might aswell just fix your old one at least you know what you have then
    I agree but just make sure the guarantee is from the supplier in writing & not from the installer.

Beatpap, I have sent you a p.m. with some details.

Have to thank K.Flyer for looking into this for me and repairing the pump for less than I would have paid for either a reconditioned or new pump. Great service thank you.

Have complained to my property management company about the original quote for repair I received. Not happy about that.

Advertisement