Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody doing software engineering? (GMIT)

Options
  • 12-01-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey everyone,

I've read through some of the related threads but couldn't find all of the information I was looking for.

Could anybody break down the languages and projects that you guys work on throughout the years?

Is there much project work involved? What kind of projects do you guys work on?

What is the work load like? I've heard its quite intense is that true?

Over-all do you guys enjoy the course?

The website is not entirely specific on the different modules. I see that there is some e-business and language courses but I can't find any information on those either. What languages are offered and how much time do these extra modules take up?

Really appreciate the help guys! Take it easy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

Hey,

I'm first year Software Development. Main programming language is Java, we have 8 hours a week broken into 1 one hour lecture, 1 two hour lecture and 5 hours labs (3 & 2). First semester we also did HTML and this semester we are doing C# (together making up the Graphical UI & Web Development module).

Java and HTML/C# are 100% continuous assessment so there is no end of year exam. Java breakdown is 5 MCQs worth 5% each, 4 Lab exams during the year worth 14.5% each and the remaining 17% is on course work (includes attendance, lab participation etc). HTML had 2 projects, 1) designing a website containing specifics laid out in the brief and 2) a group project to design a business website. I don't know yet what the C# assessments are.

The workload is very manageable provided you go to lectures and don't let yourself fall behind. I really enjoy the course and would recommend it to anyone who has an interest.

The electives are not as advertised I'm afraid, the only elective this year is Business Administration so it's not really an elective! European languages were not offered to us and Business Admin is mandatory but at 3 hours a week and a good lecturer it's a grand subject. It covers four areas-Business Organisation, Law, Economics and Marketting. There are four assessments during the year worth 10% (best of 3) and a final exam worth 70%.

Below is a description I was sent when looking for information on the course last year.

The course (GA775) is a Software Development Degree that has three main streams. Java programming, .NET programming and mobile devices programming as a constant between the first two. The modules taught in years 1-3 are;

Year 1
    Graphical UI & Web Development, Software Design & Program Development, Mathematics, Computer Technology, Business Administration (elective)

Year 2
    Semester 1: Internet Applications Development, Software Design & Program Development 2, Systems Analysis Methods, Business Communications Skills, Applied Networks I, Procedural Programming (elective)
    Semester 2: Mobile Programming, Data Structures & algorithms, Project Management, Database Management, Applied Networks II, Adv Procedural Programming (elective)

Year 3
    Semester 1: Graphics Programming, Data Centric RAD, Operating Systems I, Software Quality Management, Human Computer Interaction, Project Costing (elective)
    Semester 2: Mobile Applications Development, Software Design Project, Operating Systems II, Database Management Systems, Server Side RAD, Adv Graphics (Elective), Applied Modelling & Simulation (elective).

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sean33

Thanks for the great reply. Answered all my questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tealover6

I have been looking into doing this course also, but I wanted to know if they start from the basics and bring you through everything from the beginning or do you need to have some experience to start? I am worrying if i will be getting in over my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

tealover6 wrote: »
    I have been looking into doing this course also, but I wanted to know if they start from the basics and bring you through everything from the beginning or do you need to have some experience to start? I am worrying if i will be getting in over my head.

Everything starts from scratch, no experience needed. If you want to give yourself an advantage however check out resources like codeacademy.com and w3schools.com. They are good to start understanding the logic of programming.

But again I reiterate, all modules start from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tealover6

hey thanks for getting back so quick!! ok thats brilliant, i have already started playing on codeacademy but still good to know it will start with basics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement