Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

biggebruv wrote: »
    What really ?

Iv read alot of of postive reviews of that site

I ordered alien and evil within for 109 and received both im very happy
    They replyed back to my emails i sent within the hour i found them great

Here is the latest one http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/08/simplygames-under-fire-for-raising-cost-of-ps4-pre-orders-4138340/ They have been investigated twice before as well but cannot find the link as they all come up about the PS4 now.

They are owned by Simply Electronics whom have an even worse track record with trading standards, I think Dark-Knight was done out of nearly 300 quid by them and it took him months to get it back.

Anyway my copy arrived today from Amazon, so will put up some impressions when I get around to playing it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Xenji wrote: »
    Here is the latest one http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/08/simplygames-under-fire-for-raising-cost-of-ps4-pre-orders-4138340/ They have been investigated twice before as well but cannot find the link as they all come up about the PS4 now.

They are owned by Simply Electronics whom have an even worse track record with trading standards, I think Dark-Knight was done out of nearly 300 quid by them and it took him months to get it back.

Anyway my copy arrived today from Amazon, so will put up some impressions when I get around to playing it tonight.

am planning to preorder GTAV online since alien and evil went well I dont buy games online that was my first time

was gonna go with simply games for gtav or should I go with amazon Iv never used amazon once do the games arrive on time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm on the edge of my seat playing Resident Evil 4 on the Wii. I take it this game wouldn't be for me?

• Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'm on the edge of my seat playing Resident Evil 4 on the Wii. I take it this game wouldn't be for me?

Are you enjoying Res 4 is the real question?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Are you enjoying Res 4 is the real question?

Oh yes! I can't get enough of....

Ah, I see what you did there! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Somebody please help me

But im finding this kinda dull after alien isolation

By all rights I should be loving this
    Its not to actiony like re5+6
    Its a proper horror setting
    Its in the style of resi4 which I love

Im just having a hard time getting into this :(
    I should be eating this up right now i dunno if its just me or the game but im finding it dull so far on chapter 4

The black boarders are actually annoying me now mainly because they want us to use stealth in this game but you can barely see up ahead it was fine in resi4 because there was none of that type of gameplay going on

And that save room music is doing my F-ing nut in now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    One tip; boost your stamina to level 2 or three aid running away without tiring in sticky situations and prep your shots from a distance. Getting the handgun stability upgrade to at least level 2 helps also.
    It's best not to fight the chainsaw dude in tight spaces, lead him outside to the main road.
    I would suggest taking down all the zombies first, try using headshots from your pistol.
    When it's just you and the chainsaw guy, go for headshots with your Shotgun, then switch to Explosive Bolts from the crossbow.
    When he gets close, side step him and run away, then him from a distance.

I got the fúcker...

• GerB40 wrote: »
    I got the fúcker...
    Be warned..... that's easy compared to later battles :pac::pac:

I'm on chapter 11 / 12+ hours into the game.

Combination of the following; :mad::eek::eek::(:mad::eek::eek::D

• Pac1Man wrote: »
    Oh yes! I can't get enough of....

Ah, I see what you did there! :cool:

If your enjoying RES 4...it's most definatly for you sir :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Picked this up yesterday, its kinda slow but i guess it has to be since its a horror type game

Only on chapter 3, it is a good game so far, just afraid to open bloody doors haha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well finally got to play this game. First impressions is that on PS4 it's technically an absolute mess. The performance is dreadful considering the levels are so confined, it's hardly rendering big open spaces, the detail levels are sub PS3 levels and the resolution is so low due to the black bars. the black bars really make the game seem lower res than it actually is and its not helped by the awful antialiasing, theres jaggies eveywhere. the opening scene is very bad for this with all the fences about that really show up the poor antialiasing, if indeed there is any. I can't say Too much about the game since ive only played a little but its far from scary but does control nicely. Story is absolutely garbage but if it remains fun I'll probably forgive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well finally got to play this game. First impressions is that on PS4 it's technically an absolute mess. The performance is dreadful considering the levels are so confined, it's hardly rendering big open spaces, the detail levels are sub PS3 levels and the resolution is so low due to the black bars. the black bars really make the game seem lower res than it actually is and its not helped by the awful antialiasing, theres jaggies eveywhere. the opening scene is very bad for this with all the fences about that really show up the poor antialiasing, if indeed there is any. I can't say Too much about the game since ive only played a little but its far from scary but does control nicely. Story is absolutely garbage but if it remains fun I'll probably forgive it.

The start of the game isn't scary at all, just blood, guts and gore. These days we're so desensitised to all that stuff that I doubt a 12 year old would react to it.

I'm only on the fifth chapter and it does get creepier and, in my opinion, better. It's certainly not gonna be game of the year but a lot of people are too harsh on it.. 7/10 so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well admittedly I've played feck all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Has anyone finished it yet? Can't decide between this, Alien Isolation or Shadows of Mordor for PS4. I'd usually pick them up cheaper on the PC but I want to get some use out of the PS4 but unfortunately that means only one of the 3 until I can pick them up cheaper later!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Alien Isolation all the way imo. The camera position and the black bars annoy me far too much in TEW. I keep wanting to look higher up that I can because of it and have to keep looking up and down manually as I walk to see what I want. Awful design decision that takes from the game. The only reason I can see of having bars there are to make the game harder than it is. It's like trying to walk around every day with a very thick balaclava on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Big Knox wrote: »
    Has anyone finished it yet? Can't decide between this, Alien Isolation or Shadows of Mordor for PS4. I'd usually pick them up cheaper on the PC but I want to get some use out of the PS4 but unfortunately that means only one of the 3 until I can pick them up cheaper later!

Get either of those rather than this steaming turd.

It's insulting to compare this thing to good games.

Only making my way through chapter 2 at the moment but so far not scary at all. It seems to be mainly just blood & guts. I am still enjoying the game but it is disappointing when compared to other recent horror titles like Outlast and Alien Isolation (now those games can be genuinely scary)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Get either of those rather than this steaming turd.

It's insulting to compare this thing to good games.

What is it you dislike so much about the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

On chapter 5, no bullets and cannot get through a easy part if i had god damn bullets! So i really dont know how the fûck to get past it lol so frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Got around to playing this over the weekend, yes the game suffers technical and graphical issues and yes it is a slow burner, but the gameplay is enjoyable and the atmosphere works well, it is not groundbreaking, but is far from terrible by a long shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

So how similar is this to Res4?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

I've been playing for a while now (3 chapters in) and still not sure what to make of it. I've been playing TLoU pretty much exclusively for the last few months and can't help but draw comparisons, most of which are unfavourable.

First off, I find the controls extremely clunky. I know it's supposed to be a throwback to RE4, but I don't remember having any issues with that when I first played it, in fact the controls were quite intuitive.

Sneaking seems very hit and miss, compared to TLoU's snap-to-cover system where you were always sure if you were hidden/exposed, here it seems to be pot luck somewhat. One enemy atop a hill saw me crouched from quite a distance, whereas another couldn't see me "hiding" behind a broken fence about 5ft away.
    Combat is inconsistent, woeful melee especially. I swung a torch and although the animation had a 180° arc, missed a guy standing at my 11 o'clock. Would only connect if it was head on.
    I thought I'd be clever and lure an enemy into a trap so I could save some ammo, only to find that the same one that blew me to pieces simply knocked him over, costing me not only the same amount of ammo to kill him but also the trap parts I would've gotten from disarming it!
    Inconsistent drops - I killed one enemy and got green gel, then had to restart and the same guy dropped 6 bullets. One of the things I hated about RE6 was how - at the higher difficulties - luck regarding drops would essentially dictate your progress, and it looks like this may be similar in that regard.

Maybe it'll get better. It took me a whole playthrough of all 4 scenarios in RE6 to properly grasp the game's engine, perhaps I'm just slow on the uptake! Didn't stop the game from being trash, mind you, but being able to play it competently made things a bit more tolerable.

I did quite like the homage to the first RE1 zombie, but there hasn't been much horror at all. Some tension but no real scares. Like TLoU spoiled me with a tight control system, I think playing P.T. beforehand just makes TEW's attempts at horror seem amateurish. Any game can have gore, it doesn't make them frightening though.

Soundtrack so far is forgettable which is a shame considering how memorable Masafumi Takada's other works have been.

All in all a bit of a "meh" so far. I'll keep an open mind though, and try and end on a semi-positive note!
    People are blowing the frame rate/black bars thing way out of proportion, it's a shame to see so many reviews devoted to these aspects, completely eschewing the gameplay itself. It's like reading a film review that ignores plot/acting etc. and focuses solely on the fact that the wrong type of lens was used for a panning shot or something.
    The black bars aren't much of a bother, for the most part they just cut out some of the floor/ceiling, inconsequential to gameplay. Frankly I think they add to it - the game looks great, and the bars frame everything nicely. Whether technical or aesthetic, I like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

At chapter 10 and I'm really enjoying it. It's not what it says on the tin but it's good fun and has its hooks in me still.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Alot of impressions seem to follow the same pattern around the net. "Hated the first few chapters, then picks up and gets much better"

My copy arrived earlier from simplygames, not touching it though until i get through the last 4 chapters in Alien... and its going to be a hard act to follow after that gem.

• On the black bars piece; I'm disappointed for one reason.
    The game developers indicated there were gameplay mechanics built into the black bars...lies. They are never used for anything other than aesthetics / FPS.

On the game itself. Completed it at the weekend. Really enjoyed it.
    Game time clocked in at 17+ hours and I died 68 times in total :eek:
    Some cool unlocks when you complete the game.
    On to New Game+ for trophy hunting etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

about halfway through chapter 5 myself on this one myself. I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but I'm really enjoying it. Chapter 4 and 5 get a lot more psychological than the first 3 chapters. Still not scary other than the odd jump scare. Some of them get me some of them don't. No persistent sense of dread.

I'm playing on Survival mode and have had no issues with my ammo. Got a near fully stocked handgun and plenty of shotgun shells. Don't use the crossbow much but have found it and those disappearing enemies to be a pain so use the shock bolts to take care of em nice and quick.

Overall really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Those of you on PS4 without an internet connection should probably avoid this one.

The pre-patch Evil Within we hope you'll never play

Day one patches being used to fix bugs is one thing but jesus christ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

gizmo wrote: »
    Those of you on PS4 without an internet connection should probably avoid this one.

I remember Pete Hines saying at e3 they were given shinji mikami and his team as much time as they needed to make this game and bring back survival horror back to its core and he was equally excited of the prospect on working with mikami aswell as making horror games.

Everything up to this point I see nothing but a studio wanting to push it in its current state so it would not miss halloween and everything about the game seems to me shinji wanted to make one thing while the studio wanted a resident evil 4. most of the enemies I seen from previews and people streaming it seems to be resi 4 rehases and knowing mikami passed work I cannot remember him re using enemies models and features more than once.

I did not think it would be resurrecting the horror genre and feel people give mikami too much believing this would be as big hit but thats more of me being a silent hill fan than resident evil fan though love both series.

frame rate is god awful and on pc is stupid for it to be locked at 30fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I remember Pete Hines saying at e3 they were given shinji mikami and his team as much time as they needed to make this game and bring back survival horror back to its core and he was equally excited of the prospect on working with mikami aswell as making horror games.
    In fairness, the game has been in development for four years, at some point any publisher is going to step in and tell them it's time to wrap things up.

With that in mind, given its fairly protracted development period I'd be pretty interested in reading a postmortem on what exactly went wrong. I mean, it's rather obvious it was released undercooked but with possible excuses such as the aspect ratio announced as far back as its unveiling in April last year, I'd imagine the list is quite long.

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »

Ah now that explains why I thought the game looked so ugly!

Advertisement