Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

God dammit! Chapter 15, these two safe heads, about to break my controller!

Edit: got it. Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

finished this up on Survivor difficulty. Really enjoyed it I have to say. it's got it's problems and it's probably a bit of a marmite game but it was right up my street.

The story is a mess and the whole things doesn't make a lot of sense but the overall game play was good enough for me. The Box head character could we go into the hall of fame with some of the other iconic evil characters in games.

23hours and 159 deaths on my playthrough by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

corcaigh07 wrote: »

I think that review is harsh. I throughly enjoyed the game and it being like resi 4 is no bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Review is well harsh. I'm enjoying this a lot. Really surprised at how it's holding up. Some of the bosses are complete ****s though and the aspect ratio can be fustrating at times but there have been plenty of jaw drop moments and some great nail biters

If only Sebastian was more likeable, he's very wooden. Someone like Nathan Drake or even Leon from Res would have given it all morw soul.

But yeah I'm guessing I'm about 80% through though I'm not sure. Haven't been this surprised by a game since Castlevania lords of shadow. This feels like what Res 5 should have been. Of course less mental and more zombies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

I picked up this game the other day after reading through this thread and decided to give it a chance in an effort to relive my resident evil and silent hill days.

I just finished chapter 5 last night and i must say i have not experienced tension like this in a very long time. I get very uncomfortable playing in a dark room at night on my own, which is the measure of how i personally judge these games.

This game is certainly no disappointment to me and i am delighted i picked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

im on chapter 12 enojoying it myself, have to say dont really have a clue whats going on in the story?
    is it all a dream in the kids head?

The story is a bit pants. even after finishing the game I was still very much in the dark about the whole thing. I hear that a second playthrough really fill in the gaps of the story. Really enjoyed the game though. If you're like me and buy into it 100% you'll have a blast. A 23h playthrough on a game that you can finish in 5 hours says just how into the creeping around I got. Some of the boss fights were crazy but they're all very doable even when you see them at first and think that's it's not at all possible.

solid 8/10 for me anyway. If you're on the fence on this one I reckon you should just give it a go. It's great fun

I say play it, its surprisingly good. Ammo is scarce but it suffers by handing you loads before a boss or mob fight, actually I take that back because that raises tension a load. I'm really really liking it more as I play through.

Its like disaster day of crisis but with resident evil 4 meets the last of us controls with a kind of shutter island come Silent hill mood throughout. Throw in some room 1408 'what the hell is goibg on at all' vibes and its pretty fun to play through. Just in the apartments after the school bus and its longer and better than I assumed when I bought it. The city parts make me think if the developers were given free reign with a resident evil set in raccoon city it would be awesome, or a game set in one location with a better cast of characters and acting. The last of us has spoiled a lot of us given it was so brilliantly acted and scripted.
    TEW has me convinced that if Mikami was in charge of Red 5/6 the titles would have been far less action and far more tension and better as a result, it has its flaws but it does a hell of a lot right imo. It along with PT has me excited about survival horror again. Dead Space 1 and 2 were the only stand out awesome games that came close recently with the third being a sell out like most of EAs output it got swallowed by thier greed and want to milk everything dry. A shame really as I thought that series was onto something great until it tried to be something it wasn't. The last of us being something similar to survival horror but out on its own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

I am a a huge RE fan since 2 came out religiously played all of them and replayed them to death, A ranks ect, so i picked this game up and played on the normal difficulty and am at chapter 3 and I just find that the sluggish controls and amount of sneaking and dismantling of traps and stealth kills between checkpoints makes it hard to go again when you eventually take more than one hit and die, im not slating this game saying it's terrible, more hoping either I get better at the game or the game gets better for me

• Advertisement

Chapter 3 is when you start getting tooled up with better weapons. Game isn't everyone's cup of tea though but give it another while I guess. You'll be soon hoping there were more traps to collect scrap for ammunition ;)

The bosses really are one hit kill feckers for the most part, many times you have the option to escpe somehow or try take them down using a lot of ammo and hoping for a reward. One in particular was infuriating for me. Controller breaking annoying but it turned out I just wasn't paying attention enough and could have very very easily escaped. I didn't realise this untill I had killed it, and died instantly a lot.
    Got a nice trophy for actually getting the kill though only 1.5% if people have it iirc. Wasted every bit of ammo and actually did a little dance when I finally did it ha ha. Using every bullet I had left the next 2 chapters a struggle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Danonino. wrote: »
    Chapter 3 is when you start getting tooled up with better weapons. Game isn't everyone's cup of tea though but give it another while I guess. You'll be soon hoping there were more traps to collect scrap for ammunition ;)

The bosses really are one hit kill feckers for the most part, many times you have the option to escpe somehow or try take them down using a lot of ammo and hoping for a reward. One in particular was infuriating for me. Controller breaking annoying but it turned out I just wasn't paying attention enough and could have very very easily escaped. I didn't realise this untill I had killed it, and died instantly a lot.
    Got a nice trophy for actually getting the kill though only 1.5% if people have it iirc. Wasted every bit of ammo and actually did a little dance when I finally did it ha ha. Using every bullet I had left the next 2 chapters a struggle though.

Was this by any chance the chapter 10 boss? It seems that all the ammo I throw at him only slows him down a bit, and I'd much rather escape from the big bastard with ammo intact than empty all guns. If not, fúck it. I'll persevere but I hate using ammo when easier ways out are possible..

It was
    laura in the boiler rooms, I missed the final valve on the roof, I killed her by catching her with a match burning a body, two valves and a **** load of level 4 harpoons (lv 5 harpoons are seriously worth saving for btw. I didn't see there was another valve to escape in the room :)
    I know a few people have trouble with the carpark fight but I actually beat that first time somehow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

It was
    laura in the boiler rooms, I missed the final valve on the roof, I killed her by catching her with a match burning a body, two valves and a **** load of level 4 harpoons (lv 5 harpoons are seriously worth saving for btw. I didn't see there was another valve to escape in the room :)
    I know a few people have trouble with the carpark fight but I actually beat that first time somehow :)

So what do I do, just throw everything I have at it? I fúcking hate parting with ammo but I suppose I'll have to at some stage :(

with that fight there is no need to kill, I didn't you just need to escape. if you have heaps of ammo and are levelled up then go wild. it can be tricky to spot the levers for shutting off the fire gates to let you get through

Especially the last one :'(

Is the season pass included with the limited edition on ps4?

I'm only asking because it says I've played 'the evil within season pass' every time I have played. If it does I might hold on to it or would it be installed after redeeming the fighting chance pack regardless of game disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Is the season pass included with the limited edition on ps4?

I'm only asking because it says I've played 'the evil within season pass' every time I have played. If it does I might hold on to it or would it be installed after redeeming the fighting chance pack regardless of game disc?

Noticed the same thing, i doubt we'll get free stuff.

Is it the limited edition you have, or does it say it for anyone with the regular edition?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Whats the limited edition one ?, not sure if its what i got as it doesnt say limited edition on the case of anything, but it came with "The fighting chance pack"..

• Advertisement

Not sure if the discs are different, I'll double check when im in work Wednesday, the limited edition is in a cardboard sleeve, hologram insert and notebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

This will be on sale on Amazon at 8:30 for Black friday.

Well worth that price. Also forgot to check discs. Woops.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

picked this up in the steam sale.

Everyone has told me to wait til the later levels.

But on the pc I was getting motion sickness.

I tried using a controller as I normally use a controller for 3rd person games and mouse/keyboard for 1st person. But this year is bizarro year and I ended up using a controller for alien isolation and keyboard and mouse for the evil within.

Despite tripling the sensitivity I found the thumpads too unresponsive in the game combined with those god damn awful black bars made it feel very slow to look around.

sadly with the mouse its the opposite problem I can look around too quick and for some reason this combined with 2:1 aspect ratio made me motion sick.

So going to look into that remove bars fan patch asap cause f*ck them.

Aside from that. Any game that requires me to take 2 steps forward everytime I throw a bottle should burn in hell. I kept dying in the first level cause everytime I threw a bottle I'd step out of my hiding place revealing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Did they ever release a patch to remove the borders or is that just stylistic choice they went with?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Did they ever release a patch to remove the borders or is that just stylistic choice they went with?

That's the style of the game, not a fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's the style of the game, not a fault.

Sure, and that's why the game has ropey framerates problems and the borders are much bigger than any cinematic ratio.

You won't see them patched out considering the game has such technical problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just picked this up in the US PSN store, and with my Alien Isolation purchase, I won't be able to sleep for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

So a month or so after release.. Is The Evil Within a good game? :)

Tempted to pick it up off the US store

Advertisement