Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

tok9 wrote: »
    So a month or so after release.. Is The Evil Within a good game? :)

Tempted to pick it up off the US store

I loved it! Totally worth a play through or 3

Story is pants though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

If that helps sway you.

PC of course.

Looking at the US PSN store for $30

And the physical copy looks like it's £20 in Game

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

This game is so conflicting.

I'd personally give it a 5 after C8 or so, while it was a 7 or 8 before that.
    I can see though how others would keep the higher score but I'm just not a fan of cheap deaths and repeating sections due to needing to learn the design.

I just despise having to replay sections when it's not even a determination of skill but being put into a situation you have to fluke to pass.

It completely kills the immersion for me when I'm repeating the same section time after time until you can figure out the trick.

It plays well up to that point as well, about 8 chapters that aren't too easy and require the odd replay, then it's just a constant annoyance every 5mins of gameplay with sections that through you a curve ball and one hit kill etc.
    Danonino. wrote: »
    It was
    laura in the boiler rooms, I missed the final valve on the roof, I killed her by catching her with a match burning a body, two valves and a **** load of level 4 harpoons (lv 5 harpoons are seriously worth saving for btw. I didn't see there was another valve to escape in the room :)
    I know a few people have trouble with the carpark fight but I actually beat that first time somehow :)

This is the part which has me a bit fed up of the game.

It emphasises how often after Chapter 8 or so you're forced into situations with so little time it's nearly impossible to do them without dying... and that is something I hate, not having a chance to pass a section without repeating it and finding the trick.

I had to give the game a break after hitting that part the first time, was contemplating not even bothering again and selling the game as I'm short on change, but I gave it another go there and died at that scene again so I think I'll check a walkthrough for the exact location of what I need as I honestly cba a 4th time starting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I rage quitted there. No lies. I cane back and beat her second try :) it gets better again after that imo.

I enjoyed it overall but I really disliked the aspect ratio and that boss fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Danonino. wrote: »
    I rage quitted there. No lies. I cane back and beat her second try :) it gets better again after that imo.

I enjoyed it overall but I really disliked the aspect ratio and that boss fight.

I sow that it is for feck all on ps4 and xbox one. As much as I am pc gamer prick, I think I will pick it up on console now. I just like to enjoy some horror games with controller in my hands since RE1 and SH1.

Yes, I know its not as good as good old SH1 or ~RE1/RE2, I am still going to give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Just started this, on Ch.5 at the moment. So far so good, the 1st few chapters brought me all the way back to RE4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I just stopped playing this a little over a month ago. I was pretty close to the end too I think. The writing was just horrible and it wasn't scary. Not a single scare not even a cheap jumpy one. The aim is purposely made really REALLY bad to make you miss shots for that artificial difficulty. It's no bother though, just put all your points into accuracy, critical headshots and ammo cache. Don't even bother with damage, clip capacity or fire rate except on the shotgun for chewing away at boss health.

Dat FOV was disorientating too, especially in the save area that made my head spin.

Couldn't really see the graphics to full potential since I had to play @ 720p to keep the framerate in the 50s. But from what I did see was great level design, very good style to it. Textures where quite low for certain areas though, mainly anything outdoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Really enjoying this, just on CH 7, the Keeper Boss fight. the DLC looks interesting and currently 11.99 on PSN reduced from 19.99. Wonder when the first pack will be released?

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    Really enjoying this, just on CH 7, the Keeper Boss fight. the DLC looks interesting and currently 11.99 on PSN reduced from 19.99. Wonder when the first pack will be released?

Thanks for that! Didn't know it was on sale. Really looking forward to the extra stuff. No idea when it all comes out though.

Played evil within on release, really enjoyed it! never understood why people didn't like it.

Thanks for that! Didn't know it was on sale. Really looking forward to the extra stuff. No idea when it all comes out though.

Played evil within on release, really enjoyed it! never understood why people didn't like it.

I'm loving it too, the black bars annoyed me at first and it's totally RE4.5 but its a lot of fun with some cool bosses.

I'm loving it too, the black bars annoyed me at first and it's totally RE4.5 but its a lot of fun with some cool bosses.

EXACTLY! Wish people could see that. But then, there are people out there who still hate or just flat out refuse to play re4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Finished this at the weekend and really looking forward to the assignment. Hopefully it lives up to its billing as being similar to the dlc from dishonored.

Went back to RE6 after this to get some further thrills but it's so flat compared to Evil within.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Finished this at the weekend and really looking forward to the assignment. Hopefully it lives up to its billing as being similar to the dlc from dishonored.

Went back to RE6 after this to get some further thrills but it's so flat compared to Evil within.

I got RE6 a while ago and my god is it bad.

When is the DLC out for the Evil within

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

Silent hill and rv are all time classics

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

That should say resident evil not rv

When is the DLC out for the Evil within

march I think

march I think

Might pick the season pass for 12 euro on the PSN

• Advertisement

Might pick the season pass for 12 euro on the PSN

got it the other day, think the offer is gone now though.

got it the other day, think the offer is gone now though.

Yeah its gone back up

The assignment was released earlier this week; Reviews so far have been 8 - 9.5 and it seems to be a much more stealthy campaign with few weapons. Seems to be 3.5 to 4 hrs long and looking forward to playing it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Still haven't played the main game yet. Gonna bring PES 15 into trade and pick it up.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Still haven't played the main game yet. Gonna bring PES 15 into trade and pick it up.

Do it.

I absolutely loved TEW, lucky I got the season pass for €10 a few weeks back. Totally didn't know the DLC was released yet. Sounds good and I'll download it tonight. Is there 1 or 2 more side stories to come?

What are the chances of an Evil Within 2 coming in the future? Feels like it was panned over the 'voice acting' and the black bars which didn't bother me at all.

Finished the assignment last night, really enjoyed it. Felt like a totally different game within some familiar environments. Took over 4 hrs including a few deaths but easier than the main game I thought.

The Consequence DLC was released earlier this week. Hope to play through this weekend once I'm finished with Bloodborne.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Is this cheap anywhere. I'm tempted to finally pick it up if it's under the £20 mark

tok9 wrote:
    Is this cheap anywhere. I'm tempted to finally pick it up if it's under the £20 mark

I got it for that at Xmas from Game. You could wait for GOTY version, the dlc is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I quit this earlier after five chapters. I'd heard negative reports about the plot, but I really wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it was. I played almost four hours and none of it made any sense whatsoever. The graphics were also quite poor. At times it almost seemed intentional, like a gritty, grainy old movie, but more often than not it just lacked polish. The aspect ratio also bothered me, especially when the black bars are in the way of your line of sight. Movement also felt sluggish and compromised. I know Shinji Mikami wanted to return to proper survival horror, but did he have to bring back their worst elements as well? The melee attack was worse than useless. I felt like I was back slogging my way through Silent Hill at times. I might return to it at a later date, but I have the house to myself this weekend and I was really looking forward to wiping out a game over the next two days, and I'm certainly not wasting my time on this.

Advertisement