Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Picked this up a few weeks back along with some other games.

Finally able to get into it now. First thing is I had no idea the letterbox was so large. It seems to take up a good chunk of the screen. I've been mixing between having it enabled and disabled (an update added the ability to remove this on console) I think I'll probably stick to leaving it off.

On to the game itself, it's going fine so far. I've enjoyed what I've played without being amazed really. Anyway, I've only completed 3 chapters so far. I do really like the traps littered around the place. I try to be as careful as possible but every so often I'll run into a damn explosive and I'm just too slow to react to it!

You can definitely tell it's a cross-gen game anyway. Some of the landscape shots look a bit out-dated.

The only really annoying this is that at the end of that chapter I beat the chainsaw guy, got the 5000 things for upgrading and then it hard crashed. When I reloaded, the 5000 goo jar was gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think the letterbox can be turned off after it was patched.

Yes it can.

• tok9 wrote: »
    Picked this up a few weeks back along with some other games.

Finally able to get into it now. First thing is I had no idea the letterbox was so large. It seems to take up a good chunk of the screen. I've been mixing between having it enabled and disabled (an update added the ability to remove this on console) I think I'll probably stick to leaving it off.

On to the game itself, it's going fine so far. I've enjoyed what I've played without being amazed really. Anyway, I've only completed 3 chapters so far. I do really like the traps littered around the place. I try to be as careful as possible but every so often I'll run into a damn explosive and I'm just too slow to react to it!

You can definitely tell it's a cross-gen game anyway. Some of the landscape shots look a bit out-dated.

The only really annoying this is that at the end of that chapter I beat the chainsaw guy, got the 5000 things for upgrading and then it hard crashed. When I reloaded, the 5000 goo jar was gone :(

Never even noticed that. Must test this out later.

In relation to the 5000 gone missing, this happened to my New game+ playthrough. Very annoying :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Picked this up during the steam sale myself, really enjoying it, but it's freaky as **** :eek:

Currently somewhere in Chapter 5, just after meeting the partner.

Got the full season pass as well, because I've heard great things about the DLC.

• Advertisement

The season pass is half price on PSN (€10). Picked it up as I heard it's really good too.

Only on chapter 5 so moving along slowly enough. I kind of want to get a good run into it some night and really soak it in.

Finished Chapter 10 now and I'm well into it. Really enjoying the game.

The only part that really annoyed me was in Chapter 9 where Rufus chases you every so often and at times he spawns literally in front of you and one hit kills you. It was just so annoying losing my progress 2-3 times due to that.

• tok9 wrote: »
    Finished Chapter 10 now and I'm well into it. Really enjoying the game.

The only part that really annoyed me was in Chapter 9 where Rufus chases you every so often and at times he spawns literally in front of you and one hit kills you. It was just so annoying losing my progress 2-3 times due to that.
    I'm trying to remember but are you in an old mansion / house area? If it's the part your talking about that bit is freaky with headphones.
    You can run around in circles if I remember and he eventually ****s off it's just to remember the sound cue when he reappears.

That was the one alright and ya you get a sound cue and the visual colour is tainted blue. But there were 2 times in particular.

1. I was running away and usually he dashes (like blink in Dishonored) behind you but this one time he dashed right in front of me and your character just isn't mobile/responsive enough to turn back in time.

2. The other time I was just fighting an enemy, I went to punch him as I didn't want to waste ammo and as the punching motion began the cue kicked in and the enemy turned into Rufus! By the time I'd finished the punch I was dead :P

Just finished up the main story there and I've way more questions then I do answers. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what the whole story is! :P

Had a lot of fun with the game though. I remember when it launched a lot of people seemed to be pretty negative on it. Well worth picking up imo.

I would agree that it's a technical mess though, The amount of pop up etc was pretty awful. Also delighted I was able to play without the bars as I had no idea they took up so much of the screen.

Now I'm just debating whether to start the dlc or take a mini break and start Life is Strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Keep at it. The first one took me 3.5 hrs, stuck on the second.

Wow, that was quick going Tok!

I haven't played it in a bit, 10 hours or so into it and I'm only in Chapter 5. I've actually only been able to play the game in short bursts, I'm pretty wussy when it comes to horror games and get scared easily :o

Ya I decided to crack on and check out the dlc. Quiet good so far, actually feel like some of the story is slightly coming together. Still silly though. The new major emphasis on stealth is quiet nice. I wouldn't say it's scary but it has more jump scares and creepy scenes. I'm about halfway through I reckon.

Ya I flew through the main campaign Links.. my final time was around 13-14 hours.

You can easily see The Evil Within going on a similar ridiculous story line like Resident Evil. It's certainly set up that way anyway.

Just finished up The Assignment there. Finished it in two and a half hours.

It was excellent and to be honest I'm buzzing after the end of it, just want to go straight on to The Consequence. Pity I've heard it's not as good but still looking forward to it.

Again I'll stress the actual story is just ridiculous but The Assignment, after being initially confused, adds some really nice stuff to the story in terms of perspective and certain plot points.

tok9 wrote: »
    Ya I flew through the main campaign Links.. my final time was around 13-14 hours.

I kinda took my time, and I died, like a LOT! Took me nearly an hour to get past the first enemy, I just kept dying and dying. I'm being a bit of a completionist too and checking every nook and cranny I can, I also tried for the achievement "Knife Beats Chainsaw" and that certainly took a bit of effort. Restarted a chapter 4 twice because I missed some stuff, wanted to save the woman from being burned on the bonfire, and then I wanted to kill freaky spider lady, so I attempted that and died constantly until finally managing it! Definitely one of the most intense games! :eek:

Actually that was one thing I noticed after. Had a look at the trophies and saw I only had 25%.

And this game does them pretty well like the ones you mentioned, there are a load of them and they actually sound like cool ones to get if you wanted to go back.

Unfortunately there are just too many good games at the moment for me to go back and attempt some of the ones I missed.

Finished the Consequnce last night and I really enjoyed that too. Assignment was better but still it was really enjoyable.

It actually does add some nice story stuff along with
    Myra
    being with Mobius. The smell of Resident Evil off this is ridiculous :P

I'm actually tempted to play on the ridiculous difficulty. From looking at it, it seems the majority of the game is in complete darkness, at least for the dlc anyway.

Gonna checkout the Executioner tonight hopefully but not expecting much.

Could someone just explain who killed everyone in the hospital? I'm guessing Mobius.

And I'm done. The Executioner dlc only took an hour so got through that pretty quickly. A cool experience considering everything else is survival horror/stealth while this is a First Person fighting experience?

Felt a little arcadey with that coin like currency and not much in terms of a story but it was something. First 2 pieces of DLC were well worth the season pass anyway and the game itself was really enjoyable.

Now someday I might come back and try that difficulty mode. I really like the idea of a difficulty affecting something other than how much damage you do/take. Having a lot more areas completely dark makes the game a lot more tense. Some of those sections against that beacon lady would be intense!

I'm only just finished chapter 5 myself, freaked right the hell out on starting chapter 6 and the safe room place going dark :eek: I love this game but holy hell is it making my heart tremble

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

tok9 wrote:
    Now someday I might come back and try that difficulty mode. I really like the idea of a difficulty affecting something other than how much damage you do/take. Having a lot more areas completely dark makes the game a lot more tense. Some of those sections against that beacon lady would be intense!

Stuck with her in the server room!!

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    Stuck with her in the server room!!

Exactly. Especially when she turns off her light and starts moving!

This is a game that I seriously, sincerely hope will get a sequel. I am enjoying it immensely, it's flawed and it's frustrating but I am just loving every bit of it. Got skewered by some spikes and gave up for the night though :pac: managed to kill those ogres on first try though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

So, it's currently €15 on the PS Store. Worth a punt?

Definitely, I thought it along with the season pass were great.

Yeah, definitely worth it.

I'm only on chapter 8 now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Anyone know the DL size on PS4? Looked around but can only find the install size.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Started this a few days ago, just finished chapter 8 there and loving it so far. Quite a challenging game but to anyone on the fence about this I'd recommend sticking with it. If you like resident evil, particularly the early ones, this should be right up your street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

15 euro on psn....... Is it worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

ziggyman17 wrote: »

Absolutely worth it, in my opinion anyway although it's divided opinion among people here. For an extra €5 you can get the limited edition in gamestop if you prefer having the physical copy.

I haven't been able to stop playing it, 8 hours in now and just starting chapter 10. If you like resi evil or silent hill games you owe it to yourself to play it. The settings are great, from a castle, dungeons, villages to a mansion. It's also challenging, you will die, a lot. And item conservation is crucial. The only negative I would have so far is that I haven't a clue what the game is actually about, the story is, well, there is none from what I can see but I personally don't really play these kind of games for the story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

ziggyman17 wrote: »

I bought it on psn a couple of weeks ago at that price. It can be very frustrating at times but I enjoyed it. The last chapter nearly killed it for me and there was one point I felt like chucking it in because it was so aggravating. And it makes zero sense. I had to look up a plot synopsis to figure what it was meant to be about. That said I'm after picking up the season pass in the sale so I obviously enjoyed it enough to hang around in that world for a bit longer.

Advertisement