Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

I played some Resident Evil 6, so I'm a bit sceptical of this! :)

I think Resi 6 was judged too harshly. Is it as good as Resi 4? Definitely not! Not nearly as bad as people make out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Fawk Nin wrote: »
    I think Resi 6 was judged too harshly. Is it as good as Resi 4? Definitely not! Not nearly as bad as people make out though.

Admittedly I only played through one of the 3 stories. It was awful though, by far the worst horror game I've played in the current/last gen. It felt more like a action game with terrible controls and poor story.

This next one looks a lot more promising though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't like Horror games, just can't play them as I'm too much of a wuss, nearly had a heart attack playing the first Silent Hill.

I did enjoy Resident Evil 5 and 6 a lot though, but I suppose therein lies the problem, they wanted to appeal to a broad 'action' market and not the narrower horror one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mad for a proper horror game again. Outlast is free for PS+ users on PS4 in February, I hear good things about it.

New trailer. Looks pure class! Blood?...I hope this is not Chris's blood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Psycho Break is such a better and less generic title.

Release Date announced - August 29th, really looking forward to this, especially after playing Outlast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A new gameplay trailer, hopefully it lives up to the hype, the horror genre needs to be resurrected again.

Looks so brilliant, perfect mix of resi and silent hill

Well. That looks like a game I'm going to be too scared to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Looks really good. Looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I'll buy it day one
    and it will take me probably 2 years to finish it
    I **** myself in these types of games I play it for 10 minutes with the lights on then turn it off if I get too tense haha love how games can make that happen
    movies I never get afraid or jump, but in games I dunno its just so weird but I love it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This is getting panned at the moment by almost every journalist at the latest reveal.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/04/12/how-the-evil-within-fails-at-horror

RasTa wrote: »
    This is getting panned at the moment by almost every journalist at the latest reveal.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/04/12/how-the-evil-within-fails-at-horror

Wow, not sounding good at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Crap. I was hoping that if this was good it would kill the current boring trend of 'atmospheric' first-person survival horror. It was fun in Condemned and Amnesia but it's getting really tired now.

Watched that trailer, looks more body-horror than actual horror.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well maybe people were expecting Evil Within to be more like Silent Hill 2 and forgot that Resident Evil and the games Shinji Mikami makes are absolute schlock. He does cheesy horror with good gameplay systems.

Now if the gameplay is good I'll be more than happy but I wasn't too impressed with Shadows of the Damned so I'll wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

read a review their about all the sniping and shooting zombies and arrow explosions
    hope that was too just show of the game
    I will be very disappointed if I had so much ammo left over that I could just shoot my way through the whole game without worrying about ammo
    should be kept simple, Handgun, shotguns,knife and ammo is scarce

• sheehy83 wrote: »
    Wow, not sounding good at all
    People are obsessing over what exactly a 'Survival-Horror' should be. I don't think anybody knows. If you want a game to scare you ****less go play Amnesia.

This looks like a more refined RES4 which I am fine with and it has more horror elements added into it.

Shinji Mikami always stated that this was going to be a 'Survival-horror' (those words again) with action elements.

I actually Enjoyed the game-play of Shadows of the Damned, the story however was plain Ludacris and crude (sometimes funny :P)

Well I think it's fair enough that you can't really call a game a 'survival' horror when there's a plentiful supply of ammunition. Resource management is what makes a 'survival' horror. Which is why Dead Space and RE4 fail to qualify in my view, there's no strict economy of supplies in those games.

Thing about Evil Within is that it's asking us to take it seriously, so it's kind of hard to give it the benefit of the doubt that it might still be good if it isn't even scary. All it'll be is a shoot-em-up. I doubt this is going to kick gaming up the arse like RE4 did.

Great vid from CVG, I missed a lot of this in the recent trailer

• Advertisement

• Reading an IGN article on the recent pax preview;
    There main argument is that the character doesn't react to anything scary.

My two cents..
    The characters in the RE games or Silent Hill were detached and emotionless too when it came to scares. It was up to the player to feel the reaction as in tension buildup or jump scares for example.

Remember Chris Redfield being freaked out when he ran by those windows and the dogs jumped out? Oh, that's right, the character on-screen didn't even flinch, it was us players that tensed up!

The detached character criticism is weak and unfair argument. The reactions to this are so over the top.

Yeah that was the biggest thing I took away from it and he really made it sound awful. It made me think how uncharted and last of us characters react to what's going on around them and it really adds to the game. It would be good for the character to react to his creepy surroundings, especially for a next gen game. Still that one thing shouldn't take THAT much away from the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Reading an IGN article on the recent pax preview;

My two cents..
    The characters in the RE games or Silent Hill were detached and emotionless too when it came to scares. It was up to the player to feel the reaction as in tension buildup or jump scares for example.

Remember Chris Redfield being freaked out when he ran by those windows and the dogs jumped out? Oh, that's right, the character on-screen didn't even flinch, it was us players that tensed up!

The detached character criticism is weak and unfair argument. The reactions to this are so over the top.

I don't blame editors for criticising a game for this though. The early Resi games are a decade old and we shouldn't be happy with games refusing to push the boundaries past what we have seen. As games begin to look more realistic and have more realistic physics it is details like this that stand out like a sore thumb breaking submersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

RasTa wrote: »

The barbed wire industry are upset too

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Reading an IGN article on the recent pax preview;

My two cents..

By modern standards, the original Resident Evil is awful. Doesn't make sense to make that comparison.

Anyway this game looks like it has lots of cutscenes and cinematic sequences, so it would really need to be convincing.

• Fawk Nin wrote: »
    I don't blame editors for criticising a game for this though. The early Resi games are a decade old and we shouldn't be happy with games refusing to push the boundaries past what we have seen. As games begin to look more realistic and have more realistic physics it is details like this that stand out like a sore thumb breaking submersion.
    snausages wrote: »
    By modern standards, the original Resident Evil is awful. Doesn't make sense to make that comparison.

Anyway this game looks like it has lots of cutscenes and cinematic sequences, so it would really need to be convincing.

This is what the majority of consumers are apparently craving for (everything I have read, lets go back to the roots of RE bla bla bla, low ammo, boxed corridors, tension and jump scares).

There's a difference in immersion levels if you talk about horror titles, and cinematic type experiences. Look at the more recent Outlast released on the PS4, this is essentially a jump scare extraordinaire with a first person view (thus eliminating NPC reaction, it's in your view) and scripted sequences everywhere.

Is this what your suggesting it should be? If not then you want it to turn out like The Last of US?

The title 'Survival horror' is as vague as it comes in terms of a video game genre because nobody has a definitive idea of exactly what it is that consumers want so this is why we get this constant mis-matched opinions about The Evil Dead.

Also;

Quote Shinji Mikami '“We’re incredibly proud to announce The Evil Within,” said Mikami. “My team and I are committed to creating an exciting new franchise, providing fans the perfect blend of horror and action.”

It was always going to be an action title, even history tells us this with RE4.

Survival horror to me implies a game that puts emphasis on obstacles and the environment over the player, if that makes sense. While RE4 is a player-centric title the earlier games are more.. player-hostile maybe? Can't find the right word. The original REs achieved their effect by obfuscating the player's viewpoint with static camera angles (notice how much more atmospheric it is when you don't have an OTS camera angle?) and, as you said, boxed corridors. 'Survival horror' was largely a creation that came from the limitations imposed by the hardware the games came out on. But I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to re-imagine that same sense of claustrophobia and panic that the original REs induced on a modern platform. Remove ammo drops, effective melee techniques and precision aiming. Make a new horror game with a clunky lock-on system like Silent Hill has. Make melee (mostly) non-lethal. Get rid of laser-sight and cross-hairs. Cut down on cutscenes.

As for the camera I'm not really sure what they could do because I think static pre-rendered environments in this day and age are a bit of an anachronism. All I know is that a lot of the horror in Project Zero 2 was lost when they remade it with RE4 camera angles for the Wii. There has to be some kind of middle ground I think.

Anyway it doesn't look like Evil Within is striving to be anything more than a serviceable action-horror. Which is fine, but ultimately disappointing. I wanted better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

When has a console survival game pushed the boundaries in recent memory since Fatal Frame, the majority of people did not play Siren Blood Curse and Dead Space is not a horror game in my view. The genre made it big with the likes of Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Clock Tower, Eternal Darkness and more recently with Deadly Premonition and Lone Survivor. The horror genre is nearly PC exclusive at this point, the best games are not coming out on a console format and it has been that way for years, I hope that Evil Within actually succeeds and more companies go back to old school console horror games, they are a dying breed and if the Evil Within fails the whole next gen genre will take an almighty hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I think "survival horror" generally just means that the emphasis is on staying alive, compared to other games where the emphasis is on killing enemies or overcoming obstacles. In survival horror you should feel helpless, the idea is to escape dangers rather than beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Just because Dead Space 2&3 were very action orientated it is unfair and plain wrong to say Dead Space 1 is not a horror game.

Advertisement