Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Within

Options

Comments

• Davei141 wrote: »
    Just because Dead Space 2&3 were very action orientated it is unfair and plain wrong to say Dead Space 1 is not a horror game.

Play DS1 on Hard with headphones on, it won't be long till you freak out. I hardly had ammo and was constantly on the run it was terrifying.

Even DS2, as action orientated as it was was genuinely unsettling.

Especially
    (the return to the DS1 ship)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

DS1 was brilliant, proper horror game! I never played DS2 but would be interested in giving it a go after reading your spoiler bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Play DS1 on Hard with headphones on, it won't be long till you freak out. I hardly had ammo and was constantly on the run it was terrifying.

Especially

DS2 had it's moments, showing the havoc that the Necromorphs wreak on a fully populated city, the panic and disorganisation only adding to the butchers bill. That worked really well. In particular I remember the sounds of children crying behind locked doors, there is nothing you can do to help, quite unsettling.

Unfortunately the game was a noticeable step away from what made DS1 great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the Dead Space games get way too much credit. The only reason they are popular is that there's really not much else to choose from in terms of horror. They're pretty average action games which get old well before the end.

If you have a PS3 pick up Siren instead.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Siren is brilliant, one of the first PS3 games I got.

• Advertisement

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think the Dead Space games get way too much credit. The only reason they are popular is that there's really not much else to choose from in terms of horror. They're pretty average action games which get old well before the end.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Siren is brilliant, one of the first PS3 games I got.

Yes but it's a Horror title. Full Stop. No Action at all.

DS1 is as described 'third-person action / survival horror video'

To compare the two is not relevant there two different types of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I played through it on the PC and thought it was awful. I'm actually surprised I managed to finish it. The action was dull and tedious, the exploration was strangled, the 'horror' relied on stuff jumping out at you, but it always jumped out from the same place and if it killed you, you loaded the checkpoint and were ready for it. The controls with the mouse were truly dreadful, I remember having to constantly lift my mouse because the character was so slow turning to do a 180 you ended up lifting the mouse about 5-10 times.
    The upgrade system was sort of interesting, though a lot of the weapons you got later weren't better than the one you started with, especially if you upgraded it. Graphics were nice, story was presented well, but pretty generic. Lights flickering/going out often felt a bit scripted which robbed from the atmosphere a bit imho. If I hear of someone planning on buying this for the PC I always advise them to either get it for the console or use a controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

There's not much 'survival' in Dead Space. The game has rubber-banding difficulty that throws out ammo and health when you really need it.

For me a survival horror is defined by the words 'fight or flight'. There's none of that in Dead Space, just fighting. There's no reason not to kill everything in your path.

Would I Am Alive be considered Surival Horror or just Survival? In that, a disaster hits and you are trying to find your family. You would be lucky to have more that 1 bullet at a time so you have to bluff enemies. Some very tense moments. And what about Last of Us, would that be Survival Horror (on harder difficulties anyway as ammo is more scarce)?

• snausages wrote: »
    There's not much 'survival' in Dead Space. The game has rubber-banding difficulty that throws out ammo and health when you really need it.

For me a survival horror is defined by the words 'fight or flight'. There's none of that in Dead Space, just fighting. There's no reason not to kill everything in your path.

Play it on hard, totally different animal. No ammo to be found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Play it on hard, totally different animal. No ammo to be found.

That's what I played it on, I always had plenty of ammo for the plasma cutter, which seemed to be the best weapon after the line gun (which you don't get for a long time). Maybe I'm somehow 'playing it wrong'.

Would I Am Alive be considered Surival Horror or just Survival? In that, a disaster hits and you are trying to find your family. You would be lucky to have more that 1 bullet at a time so you have to bluff enemies. Some very tense moments. And what about Last of Us, would that be Survival Horror (on harder difficulties anyway as ammo is more scarce)?
    It's all semantics I guess but I always think that resources should be finite in a 'survival' game. Ammo and supplies aren't finite in RE4/Dead Space, enemies drop them and you can buy stuff, but they are in the original REs.

• That's what I played it on, I always had plenty of ammo for the plasma cutter, which seemed to be the best weapon after the line gun (which you don't get for a long time). Maybe I'm somehow 'playing it wrong'.

Not in my experience the first ten chapters I was constantly caught having to run from necromorphs. I used a variety of the weapons didn't bank on using the plasma cutter alone.

Nobody stating you 'played the game wrong.'

That was my experience with the game. There's a section in Chapter 10 where I was without ammo for approx 5 mins. My nerves were shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Not in my experience the first ten chapters I was constantly caught having to run from necromorphs. I used a variety of the weapons didn't bank on using the plasma cutter alone.

Nobody stating you 'played the game wrong.'

That was my experience with the game. There's a section in Chapter 10 where I was without ammo for approx 5 mins. My nerves were shot.

There was parts of Dead Space that I had to just run by for dear life because I had no ammo. There was also plenty of parts were I needed to kill the necromorphs with precision shots or I was dead. The idea that you have ammo at every corner is false.

I killed everything in Dead Space. Surprised people had to run away in it.

I'm not arguing that the game wasn't difficult, but it's strictly action-horror in my eyes. Which isn't a bad thing! Some survival horror games are actually really easy anyway, like RE2 for instance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The thing about classic survival horror is that they used limitations to good effect - primitive controls, limited 3d capabilities, very rough gunplay mechanics, unexpected jump scares etc... It's quite the challenge to recreate that these days without feeling like something of a step back, and gaming has to a certain degree outgrown the genre. It's hard to elegantly represent artificial interactive awkwardness. Games like Outlast and Shattered Memories have tried with mixed success. It's going to take an incredibly bold game to take everything to the next level and feel fresh & scary.

You could say the recent explosion of survival games are the natural evolution, though. Tight resources, hostile environment, the threat nighttime. Maybe marrying these sort of mechanics with the atmosphere of the great survival horror efforts could result in something special.

I'd also be reluctant to write off the Evil Within just yet, based on the strength of Mikami's CV. Even if this isn't a survival horror in the traditional or even evolutionary sense, the man knows how to make a damn good game so I'd be cautiously optimistic he could still produce something well worth playing.

• The thing about classic survival horror is that they used limitations to good effect - primitive controls, limited 3d capabilities, very rough gunplay mechanics, unexpected jump scares etc... It's quite the challenge to recreate that these days without feeling like something of a step back, and gaming has to a certain degree outgrown the genre. It's hard to elegantly represent artificial interactive awkwardness. Games like Outlast and Shattered Memories have tried with mixed success. It's going to take an incredibly bold game to take everything to the next level and feel fresh & scary.

You could say the recent explosion of survival games are the natural evolution, though. Tight resources, hostile environment, the threat nighttime. Maybe marrying these sort of mechanics with the atmosphere of the great survival horror efforts could result in something special.

I'd also be reluctant to write off the Evil Within just yet, based on the strength of Mikami's CV. Even if this isn't a survival horror in the traditional or even evolutionary sense, the man knows how to make a damn good game so I'd be cautiously optimistic he could still produce something well worth playing.
    My thoughts into words, well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I definitely considered The Last of Us to be a survival game anyway. You have to spend ages scavenging for resources because they are scarce and personally, I only used guns when I was really stuck because running out of bullets was a serious problem.

I kind of considered the original Half Life to be a survival game for the same reason, and since there's no regenerating health you really need to be careful.

• C14N wrote: »
    I definitely considered The Last of Us to be a survival game anyway. You have to spend ages scavenging for resources because they are scarce and personally, I only used guns when I was really stuck because running out of bullets was a serious problem.

I kind of considered the original Half Life to be a survival game for the same reason, and since there's no regenerating health you really need to be careful.
    Guess your getting stuck in then :D

Half-Life on hard is a sturdy test. Especially battles with the H.E.C.U.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Especially

Honestly? I loved them both. I just really like the whole Dead Space universe, I even watched both of those animated movies.
    I really liked DS2, because it showed a lot more of civilian places and how people live in that world. The part you have in spoilers was freaking fantastic. I did not knew that part was even in DS2 game when I played it. When I sow it in game, I really had shivers and "Well, that is freaking awesome".
    DS2 had some very cool enemies. Those bastards who hide behind walls and peek now and then at you... They had me ****ting myself countless times.

I really dont agree with Retro that DS series only good, because it was the only horror survival IP in the market at that point. DS was awesome on its own.

I gave DS3 a chance and in a way it had some interesting ideas. I did gave up and turned the damn thing off when I tried to get in to area, but game said: " DERP NO LOL! YOU NEED A PARTNER TO EXPLORE THAT AREA DERP! " Well **** this ****.

• Advertisement

• Honestly? I loved them both. I just really like the whole Dead Space universe, I even watched both of those animated movies.
    I really liked DS2, because it showed a lot more of civilian places and how people live in that world. The part you have in spoilers was freaking fantastic. I did not knew that part was even in DS2 game when I played it. When I sow it in game, I really had shivers and "Well, that is freaking awesome".
    DS2 had some very cool enemies. Those bastards who hide behind walls and peek now and then at you... They had me ****ting myself countless times.

I really dont agree with Retro that DS series only good, because it was the only horror survival IP in the market at that point. DS was awesome on its own.

I gave DS3 a chance and in a way it had some interesting ideas. I did gave up and turned the damn thing off when I tried to get in to area, but game said: " DERP NO LOL! YOU NEED A PARTNER TO EXPLORE THAT AREA DERP! " Well **** this ****.

Dead Space 3 was a disappointment for me. I really enjoyed the Space exploration part of the game and the coop was fun but when in the thick of an actual fight they just reverted the necromorphs to bullet sponges, they eliminated all tension and tactical shooting as a result. Essentially you could build weapons and no matter where you hit the necromoprh it just died. You also were given absolutely insane amounts of ammo.

Thus completely eliminating any tension that existed ala DS 1+2

To bring the topic back to the Evil Dead; reading a non-judgmental preview of the game;

http://newenglandgamer.com/evil-within-pax-east-2014/

Game has been delayed until October 24th. Pre-order pack will give you extra survival items like a medikit, double barrel shotgun. etc.

TEW_FightingChancePack640.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

NOOOOOO, was hoping this game would tie me over until destiny, then shadow of mordor
    I had it all planned out :(
    looks like it will clash with other games during that month
    hope it sells well, we need a decent survival horror game for consoles

edit: also don't fancy pre ordering for all that ****e, games like these need to be started normal, don't like the extra help

Yupp clashing with Batman: Arkham Knight which will not help sales 1 bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Ah no. Had this planned in my calendar as well! Love that title font, old horror movie style! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

guess they feel a halloween timed release will help sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Still looking forward to this and a release at Halloween actually will give me a excuse to hopefully scare the **** out of the other half.

• Xenji wrote: »
    Still looking forward to this and a release at Halloween actually will give me a excuse to hopefully scare the **** out of the other half.
    I would agree with the Halloween timing. Perfect.

If they wish to delay to give the game more polish I'm all for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems the latest hands on previews are far more positive for this game than previous ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I would agree with the Halloween timing. Perfect.

If they wish to delay to give the game more polish I'm all for it.

Completely agree. Once the game is out, it stays that way forever so it's worth it to wait and get it right.

Advertisement