Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Xenji wrote: »
    It is out on Tuesday, will have to wait till it gets dark to play it though :D

I am still half way in with Silent hill 2 ( I got original ps2 version ). I am living on my own now too, so yeah........ Not happening. :D Yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Im genuinely scared to buy this haha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I somehow doubt this will be all that scary. It might have a few jump scares but nothing really genuinely disturbing. Shinji Mikami is more about the z movie schlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

The mavericks at Videogamer have their review up.

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/the_evil_within_review.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

From that review
    The game is divided into distinct chapters, each beautifully presented in 2.35:1 ratio

Ach. I don't think I'll ever see the beauty in missing ~30% of the image on my TV screen. I'm never going to play the game in the cinema either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You can easily appreciate a 2.35 ratio on a TV, though. A proper theatrical screen might be the ideal, but one can still happily appreciate the compositions on smaller screens. And since screens are much larger and wider these days as a matter of course, it's a hell of a lot easier to do so than it was ten, twenty years ago. On SD screens, there was a lot lost, but the vast majority of HD sets have much more space to play around with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The review embargo for this is up at 08.00 tomorrow GMT time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can easily appreciate a 2.35 ratio on a TV, though. A proper theatrical screen might be the ideal, but one can still happily appreciate the compositions on smaller screens. And since screens are much larger and wider these days as a matter of course, it's a hell of a lot easier to do so than it was ten, twenty years ago. On SD screens, there was a lot lost, but the vast majority of HD sets have much more space to play around with.

You're still losing a hell of a lot of resolution detail. Not sure if the trade off will be worth it. I'm not convinced the widescreen will bring a whole lot to the game but I won't know until I play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I just got my copy im halfway through alien though so am not gonna start it LOL

see this is what happens when games all start coming out on top of one another HAHA Iv gone weeks without anything to play now im swamped in horror goodness!! LOL

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You're still losing a hell of a lot of resolution detail. Not sure if the trade off will be worth it. I'm not convinced the widescreen will bring a whole lot to the game but I won't know until I play it.

Think it may have been mentioned already but there's game mechanics embedded into the black bars so I don't believe it's just there for aesthetic reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Xenji wrote: »
    The review embargo for this is up at 08.00 tomorrow GMT time.

So, when embargos are lifted on the day or even the day before release doesn't it tend to mean the dev is not too confident their game will review too well?

Like, Bayonetta 2's embargo was lifted today and got 9's and 10's in reviews and that's not out till next Friday. That's confidence in your game.

Well, my pre-order payment was taken by Amazon this morning so, looking forward to playing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So, when embargos are lifted on the day or even the day before release doesn't it tend to mean the dev is not too confident their game will review too well?

Like, Bayonetta 2's embargo was lifted today and got 9's and 10's in reviews and that's not out till next Friday. That's confidence in your game.

Well, my pre-order payment was taken by Amazon this morning so, looking forward to playing it!

I always find that with horror games the reviews are very subjective anyway, unless this has some game breaking bugs, the reviews will not sway me, also like yourself Amazon have taken my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

they done the same with wolfenstein and that reviews very well

I think sometimes it can mean that and other times not

just look at alien isolations IGN review people seem to think IGN is like the holy grail of reviews but alien did very well across the board yet alot of people say nope from just reading that one review

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nintendo always seem to lift their embargos early, reviews usually pop up a couple of weeks before release. It's refreshing to see, and there's usually a good reason for the confidence.

I think it might just be Bethesda's policy to leave things until the last minute, they published Wolfenstein too. It's irritating but hey there's not a whole lot that can be done about.

IMO an early embargo gives a good final hype boost if the game is good enough, and allows people to confidently order the title if they want it. But I also see the train of thought that someone can head down and buy the game immediately if the reviews pop up on all sites at the same time on release day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Think it may have been mentioned already but there's game mechanics embedded into the black bars so I don't believe it's just there for aesthetic reasons.

I very much doubt it's for aesthetic or game mechanic reasons. They reduced the resolution and locked the aspect ratio for technical reasons and have just decided they might as well put something in the black area. I can't imagine what but I'm sure it's nothing that couldln't easily appear with transparency over regular 16:9 or any other aspect ratio. One of my favourite streamers (avoidingthepuddle) bought this game for PC (3GB 550ti) at a really good price thanks to me and some of his chat advising him not to buy from the steam store. He'll almost definitely be streaming it so I'll get to see how it actually looks and runs.

I'm so curious as to if it's actually playable at >30fps and at aspect ratios native to one's monitor. I remember reading around that someone who played TEW said the black bars made it awkward times when they would need more vertical space like when they were trying to peak over some sort of desk. Wish I could remember where I read that comment. Maybe reddit (please don't hurt me).

• I very much doubt it's for aesthetic or game mechanic reasons. They reduced the resolution and locked the aspect ratio for technical reasons and have just decided they might as well put something in the black area. I can't imagine what but I'm sure it's nothing that couldln't easily appear with transparency over regular 16:9 or any other aspect ratio. One of my favourite streamers (avoidingthepuddle) bought this game for PC (3GB 550ti) at a really good price thanks to me and some of his chat advising him not to buy from the steam store. He'll almost definitely be streaming it so I'll get to see how it actually looks and runs.

I'm so curious as to if it's actually playable at >30fps and at aspect ratios native to one's monitor. I remember reading around that someone who played TEW said the black bars made it awkward times when they would need more vertical space like when they were trying to peak over some sort of desk. Wish I could remember where I read that comment. Maybe reddit (please don't hurt me).

Think Johnny had some good points on the aspect ratio piece in general and I agree with him.

In relation to the gameplay mechanics, it's all ifs and buts but bethesda did state the following;
    "The letterboxing (a 2:35:1 aspect ratio) is used for gameplay purposes, as certain elements display in the black areas of the screen,"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

In relation to the gameplay mechanics, it's all ifs and buts but bethesda did state the following;
    "The letterboxing (a 2:35:1 aspect ratio) is used for gameplay purposes, as certain elements display in the black areas of the screen,"
    Which implies that, like The Order, they're probably rendering at 1080p but with 263 horizontal lines rendered black unless they're being used for prompts.

As for the forthcoming reviews, the embargo doesn't really bother me. Them not sending out review copies, on the other hand, does.

I'd love to know what is so special about this because so far I've heard zip.

There's nothing 'gameplay' related you could put in the black bars except for UI/HUD elements, subtitles and maybe QTE notices. What gameplay could actually happen in the black space and how exactly would it be more effective just because it has a background? I can't see how transparency at any aspect ratio wouldn't be more effective. That said we have no idea what it is but surely if it was a big deal it'd be being advertised in their trailers, press releases and game description. I really do hope I'll eat my words about this and it's actually some ingenius mechanism that will set a new standard for creative use of aspect ratios in games but how likely is that, really?

I still don't buy that this gives the view anymore horizontal space, either. That only works with actual films when there's a camera lens and millimetre of physical film. 3D doesn't work this way, it's still just an FOV issue. You could take those bars away and literally just reveal more vertical space without sacrificing any horizontal FOV. That's not the case for actual movies on a film reel where there would be cropping.

With developers bull****ting us that 30 FPS is better its hard to take them seriously anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    With developers bull****ting us that 30 FPS is better its hard to take them seriously anymore.

I'd take a locked solid 30fps game over one that runs at 60 at times but can drop like a brick if the action gets too much.

We saw the difference in the Last of Us Remastered running at 30 and 60 fps. Changes the feel of the game and makes it far more fluid and easier to do head shots.

I still don't buy that this gives the view anymore horizontal space, either.

It's less there is more space, and more that it gives a new balance and prominence to the space that is there. I've grabbed two examples from this gameplay video to illustrate this*:

140c8z5.png

Taken from a scene where you're trying to hide from an aggressor.

I ****ing love the balance in this image. To me it makes beautiful use of the rule of thirds, directing our attention at the three things that matter - the shadow, the player and the gap in the wall. It largely strips away the unnecessary information to give a beautiful wide screen image that communicates what needs to be communicated while also making smart and effective use out of predominantly horizontal space. And it really allows that shadow to stretch in a deeply menacing way.

(Separately but interelatedly, the stunning lighting engine feeds into all that)

Another:

oge4v5.png

This to me is a great example of the kind of thing that can be taken advantage of when a wider ratio is used and would pack less of an impact in 16:9 (it would still be possible, just not as pronounced as it is here). It really allows the walls of the hall to stretch cavernously into both the back- and foreground, and lends the scene a more intimidating, creepy mood. The impact, IMO anyway, is a particularly powerful one in 2.35:1.

Understanding and taking advantage of the inherent balance and symmetry of compositions is what makes different aspect ratios shine, when we move past the technical, financial and practical reasons that led to the emergence of multiple ratios in the first place. It's why some directors still use 4:3 today (have you seen Ida, which is out in the cinema at the moment? A stunning example of the type of images that can be achieved in Academy ratio). Once again, I can only restate that I'd suspect technical reasons likely did weigh in on the decision to present the Evil Within in with black bars - whether it was the dominant concern or a secondary one we probably won't ever know. I'm also sure there will be no shortage of moments when full-screen would have been just as serviceable or even preferable. Yet if examples like the above are commonplace in the full game, I sincerely hope Mikami and his team have taken advantage of the visual potential of widescreen too.

*I should stress that given the nature of interactive media, compositions are much more dynamic and unpredictable than in film. However, I think a designer can elegantly craft the experience to ensure the player experiences some of the most arresting and memorable images, and offer the opportunity for unique ones to emerge organically.

I'd take a locked solid 30fps game over one that runs at 60 at times but can drop like a brick if the action gets too much.

I'd take a solid 60fps than a locked 30fps. And we've seen 30fps locked games get drop frames before.

And we've also seen new games get fairly solid 60fps

So there's really no excuse.

Also, to your point about a solid 30 vs fluctuating 60. To me it depends on what kind of drops are we talking about. I'd take up to ~10 dropped frames during action with 60 peak any day of the week over constant 30. It only becomes jarring to me if things start dropping to around 45 and fairly often.
    It's less there is more space, and more that it gives a new balance and prominence to the space that is there. I've grabbed two examples from this gameplay video to illustrate this*:

140c8z5.png

Taken from a scene where you're trying to hide from an aggressor.

I ****ing love the balance in this image. To me it makes beautiful use of the rule of thirds, directing our attention at the three things that matter - the shadow, the player and the gap in the wall. It largely strips away the unnecessary information to give a beautiful wide screen image that communicates what needs to be communicated while also making smart and effective use out of predominantly horizontal space. And it really allows that shadow to stretch in a deeply menacing way.

(Separately but interelatedly, the stunning lighting engine feeds into all that)

Another:

oge4v5.png

This to me is a great example of the kind of thing that can be taken advantage of when a wider ratio is used and would pack less of an impact in 16:9 (it would still be possible, just not as pronounced as it is here). It really allows the walls of the hall to stretch cavernously into both the back- and foreground, and lends the scene a more intimidating, creepy mood. The impact, IMO anyway, is a particularly powerful one in 2.35:1.

Understanding and taking advantage of the inherent balance and symmetry of compositions is what makes different aspect ratios shine, when we move past the technical, financial and practical reasons that led to the emergence of multiple ratios in the first place. It's why some directors still use 4:3 today (have you seen Ida, which is out in the cinema at the moment? A stunning example of the type of images that can be achieved in Academy ratio). Once again, I can only restate that I'd suspect technical reasons likely did weigh in on the decision to present the Evil Within in with black bars - whether it was the dominant concern or a secondary one we probably won't ever know. I'm also sure there will be no shortage of moments when full-screen would have been just as serviceable or even preferable. Yet if examples like the above are commonplace in the full game, I sincerely hope Mikami and his team have taken advantage of the visual potential of widescreen too.

*I should stress that given the nature of interactive media, compositions are much more dynamic and unpredictable than in film. However, I think a designer can elegantly craft the experience to ensure the player experiences some of the most arresting and memorable images, and offer the opportunity for unique ones to emerge organically.

@johnny_ultimate

Everything you said makes sense for still screenshots and movies. I say again, it's completely invalid when you're actually playing a 3D game that's moving. It's an FOV issue. You're limiting the amount of vertical space, NOT increasing the horizontal resolution... only an ultra-wide monitor can do that.

Those screenshots you're showing won't have the same impact when the camera is in a players hands unless the game's camera and overall levels are extremely scripted... which is terrible for any game in my opinion. You honestly think showing a bit more of the ceiling and floor is going to ruin the horizontal data (which I repeat will still be available at any standard aspect ratio)? This is not a movie, you're not just watching it fly by you're playing a game.

For the first image, the shadow, the player and the gap are going to be just as striking with or without more vertical view in a video game and could be designed to be noticed in ANY aspect ratio.
    This to me is a great example of the kind of thing that can be taken advantage of when a wider ratio is used and would pack less of an impact in 16:9 (it would still be possible, just not as pronounced as it is here)

Once again, the depth of the corridor is not more pronounced with black bars on the bottom or top of the screen. In a movie or screenshot, yes. In a 3D rendered game, no. If anything, with more vertical space you'd see more of the ground that's closer to the camera view which would appear wide (naturally) and give even more visual data of the scene.

But if nothing else, johnny_ultimate, you've got me at least curious as to what these black bars would do to other games. Do you think they'd express these kinds of things in other games or does the game need to be designed with it in mind? Surely the corridor example would work on most games with high visual fidelity. Would it work in first person? I think Outlast would be a great game to test that on if so and I'd personally be interested in doing the leg work of gathering screenshots and even videos of such a thing because I really hope everything you're saying is right and I'd love to hear it from the developers though because all they've come out with is some of the most rubbish talk I've heard in a long time.

I'm merely using screenshots as it's the easiest way to illustrate my points, IMO they're just as striking in motion in the video I linked to :)

Listen: I can't deny that a certain amount of this is a personal aesthetic preference. I'm an aspect ratio nerd when it comes to film (especially since Netflix has committed some hideous crimes against them) and I love seeing the unique opportunities the three primary ones offer. With 2.35 widescreen, I always simply feel it communicates something more epic and atmospheric, something that is frankly quite hard to articulate. I'm genuinely excited that games are experimenting with them, and can't wait to play them myself. From a purely theoretical standpoint and as someone who has long grown accustomed to black bars on TVs (once upon a time I used to use zoom features to get rid of them - I now consider that an utter sacrilege), I truly feel there is no real reason why it won't work in games that are in motion. Not all games, of course, but when used wisely in exceptional cases I think it could work very well. I don't think having them in full-screen would ruin the examples I gave above - my personal taste is that they are very striking when wider, and give the scenes a more unique look that works particularly well given the game's lighting engine and tone.

I don't necessarily agree that scripting is always a bad thing, and great designers - of which I'd count Mikami as one - can craft the environments and level with care and subtlety to ensure the player sees most of the memorable sights (dynamic and predeterimined) without taking control away from them. Not there's anything wrong with setpieces or scripted sequences, either - while some games will always work better when open-ended and unpredictable, others will benefit from a more rigid design and a designer guiding us through their creation.

I honestly don't have an answer as to whether other aspect ratios would work in other games - I think it's important that the game is crafted with it in mind from an early stage, otherwise you really are just cutting off the top and bottom of the screen. Given the video and screenshots in my above post are more than a year old, that actually gives me quite a bit of confidence that it was at least partially a very conscious artistic decision from an early point.

It's hard to frame a shot when the player is in control. Games work differently to film, they aren't really comparable. I suppose I'll find out at the weekend when I get to play it what impact it does make.

We saw the difference in the Last of Us Remastered running at 30 and 60 fps. Changes the feel of the game and makes it far more fluid and easier to do head shots.

Whether the developer goes for 30 FPS and increased detail or 60 FPS for far better gameplay is their choice. Not every game can be 60 FPS, it's understandable. However telling people that 30 FPS is an artistic choice or is better is a lie and total bull****. Just say you are aiming for 30 FPS, there's no need to lie. 60 FPS for games is always preferable if not always achievable.

I'm an aspect ratio nerd when it comes to film (especially since Netflix has committed some hideous crimes against them)

I'm not as big a nerd about it as you but I definitely understand the importance(in movies). And yes I heard about Netflix doing that... that's a disgrace.
    I always simply feel it communicates something more epic and atmospheric, something that is frankly quite hard to articulate. I'm genuinely excited that games are experimenting with them, and can't wait to play them myself.

I understand and I even agree. I feel the same way, but only about movies. I've had games before with black bars... it's not fun. It's not the same and I believe games feed visual data in an entirely different way not just at a technical. They're not as good story-telling mediums (yet) but that doesn't mean they don't have very unique ways to tell them. I think games have a lot of potential in this regard and don't need to pretend or try to be like movies. They can borrow and learn from films (they have 100 years experience ahead of em') but are in ways quite literally beyond the limitations of films. They don't require a milimetere of film or a lens and could have a 'camera' in any position they want at any time.

From a purely theoretical standpoint and as someone who has long grown accustomed to black bars on TVs (once upon a time I used to use zoom features to get rid of them - I now consider that an utter sacrilege), I truly feel there is no real reason why it won't work in games that are in motion.

Same experience myself when I was younger. But I do think there's a reason it won't work or at very least isn't nessecary in video games. I don't think I need to explain why that's a huge difference to you because I know you know a lot about movies and games. There's so many technical and design reasons.

unique look that works particularly well given the game's lighting engine and tone

The game does look nice (so far) from what I've seen. Not a graphics powerhouse (in fact it looks worse than RE6 in my opinion) but the design is good and that's way more important to me. But that's where we disagree... I think the visuals are being LIMITED by the black bars, not vindicated in design.
    I don't necessarily agree that scripting is always a bad thing, and great designers - of which I'd count Mikami as one - can craft the environments and level with care and subtlety to ensure the player sees most of the memorable sights (dynamic and predeterimined) without taking control away from them. Not there's anything wrong with setpieces or scripted sequences, either - while some games will always work better when open-ended and unpredictable, others will benefit from a more rigid design and a designer guiding us through their creation.

I get what you're saying... but the bad thing about scripted sequences is that they're incredibly obvious. It takes me right OUT of the immersion it doesn't put me deeper into it. I know "Oh this is the bit where I have little/no control, better sit back". Now I feel less tension in the scene or know I have less work to do to progress through it because the designers couldn't' decide between a cut-scene or gameplay. That bit in the video you linked where the player is put into a trap with blades closing in on both sides. That was not exciting at all... there was only one place to go... forward. Press forward and you KNOW you're going to make it because the game didn't present ANY kind of gameplay element to make you have to figure out how to get out... hell it didn't even have a QTE which I'm usually very against especially the button mashing ones but even that would've made it more exciting than just holding the controller stick forward/holding the W key down.

My point is heavilt scripted scenes stand out in games because you're interacting with them where as in a movie the whole thing is a cutscene so it blends. I don't mind some direction and hell I'm actually fine with extremely long and frequent cutscenes as long as there's an equal amount of equally entertaining gameplay. This is something MGS4 certainly didn't have (way too heavy on cinematics and cutscenes rather than gameplay).
    I honestly don't have an answer as to whether other aspect ratios would work in other games - I think it's important that the game is crafted with it in mind from an early stage, otherwise you really are just cutting off the top and bottom of the screen. Given the video and screenshots in my above post are more than a year old, that actually gives me quite a bit of confidence that it was at least partially a very conscious artistic decision from an early point.

I hope you're right... and in a way I hope you're wrong. What I mean by that is that if you're right, the aspect ratio will be fine and the game will be visually unique. That's a good thing.

At the same time... I'd rather just not have black bars and use the full resolution and screen space of my monitor, and assuming you're right, any mods to remove these things will actually effect the visual representation of the game in a negative way. Maybe there'll be a nice mod or configuration one can do that removes the black bars but adjusts the FOV so we're still getting the same visual presentation. It is a game afterall, and both vertical and horizontal FOV properties can be adjusted independently... it's just a matter of did the developers make it easily(or at all) accessible or is there someone skilled enough out there to make it happen. I don't need black bars on my screen with games, the blackness outside my monitor when I have the lights off for horror games like this is just as perfect if not better because there's some backlight-leakage on this monitor even though it's of great quality and I wouldn't trade it for anything but a retail-ready Oculus Rift.

Anyway, in the end this is all speculation. Game will be available tomorrow and we'll start seeing some real benchmarks, tests and impressions soon enough. I'll be keeping an eye on avoidingthepuddle even though he's crap for his opinion I'm more just interested to see how it really does play in the hands of an average gamer.

Finally, the aspect ratios are not even my priority of critique. The framerate issue is still what's pissing me off the most. I just fear the combination of restrictive aspect ratios and low FPS is going to be what causes this to feel hella f'ing sluggish and awkward. It's why I'm definitely not getting the console version as there's zero chance of ever fixing that.

I've had games before with black bars... it's not fun.

The only game I can think of that was developed with black bars was Resident Evil 4 and that was mostly to keep the framerate up. Before that it was just terrible conversions of games to European PAL standards which totally screwed with the aspect ratio, slowed everything down and made everything squashed which was indeed awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I remember playing resi 4 and seeing Black borders and thinking ah this looks crap but by the time i saw your one in the shed with a pitch fork through her face (near the very start) i didn't care about the lines anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just saw the ad for this on telly, would love to pick it up tomorrow but won't be able to afford it for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Raymond Pest

Apparently there's a 7GB update on Ps4 and X1. Bit of a pain if anyone is on a monthly data cap

Advertisement