Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Within

Options

Comments

• Apparently there's a 7GB update on Ps4 and X1. Bit of a pain if anyone is on a monthly data cap

Really?? Painful stuff. Its the only reason I buy retail anymore because I don't have the bandwidth for direct DL on my console. 7 GB is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I thought there was a cap on patch sizes? Saw the ad 4 times in the last 2 hours :(

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Raymond Pest

Turns out the update is only 115mb on a physical copy. Delighted I couldn't be waiting a few hours to download an update. Looking forward to this now

• Turns out the update is only 115mb on a physical copy. Delighted I couldn't be waiting a few hours to download an update. Looking forward to this now

Phewwww (You were messing with me right? :pac:)

• Edit*
    Gametrailers - 9/10
    Polygon - 6.5 (They again struggle with the difficulty)

First Review - IGN - 8.7
    'Superb gameplay, a breakneck pace and terrifying enemies makes The Evil Within a wonderful survival horror experience.'

i-m-so-excited-en-ffffff-574x420.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wouldn't read the reviews from more reliable sources, then, most of them seem to indicate it's a steaming mediocrity :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Joystiq review. Not as happy with it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/10/14/the-evil-within-review-keep-out/
    Thinking of The Evil Within as a horror game, then, would be a misstep, because while it's certainly awash in grotesque imagery, it places far more emphasis on combat and stealth than it does creating an atmosphere of dread.

Sadly, thinking of it as an action title won't really improve your chances of enjoying it, as the sloppy controls and hackneyed design ensure that it's a nonstop exercise in aggravating tedium, but at least your disappointment will be more accurate.

• Wouldn't read the reviews from more reliable sources, then, most of them seem to indicate it's a steaming mediocrity :pac:

It's the same with Aliens tbh; polarizing. The negative reviews mainly have issue with the difficulty.

I like this quote form Ausgamers;

"Shinji Mikami’s The Evil Within is an absolute mind****, in the most sincere and loving way that term can be taken. It’s a bending and twisting posterchild for anxiety. It forces your insides to curl up and clinch in terror, even when nothing is around. And it achieves this because it tells you sweet FA about why, or what, anything is."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's the same with Aliens tbh; polarizing. The negative reviews mainly have issue with the difficulty.

I like this quote form Ausgamers;

"Shinji Mikami’s The Evil Within is an absolute mind****, in the most sincere and loving way that term can be taken. It’s a bending and twisting posterchild for anxiety. It forces your insides to curl up and clinch in terror, even when nothing is around. And it achieves this because it tells you sweet FA about why, or what, anything is."

That makes it sound like dark souls lol very different games I know but with that in mind I know that kind of stuff will split players and reviewers alike, where some can buy into that and others will be meh about it or need the explanation to get into the game and enjoy it.

This makes me think I can't rely on the reviews or even players and will have to make up my own mind about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't go by a review from Ausgamers, they're useless.

What I'm getting from reviews is that it's an action and not a horror game, it just has a horror aesthetic. It's kind of to be expected with Shinji Mikami really since he's more about play mechanics than anything.

It however sounds more like Shadows of the Damned than Resident Evil 4 in quality, a bit bland overall. I wouldn't go comparing it to Dark Souls just yet. It's not being marked down for being difficult but for being frustrating which is a very different thing.

It's not really sounding that great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

A lot of complaints about the controls. The Escapist review for example. I agree with his view that in this day and age we shouldn't be getting artificially created bad controls to increase tension.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/12435-The-Evil-Within-Review?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »

What I'm getting from reviews is that it's an action and not a horror game, it just has a horror aesthetic. It's kind of to be expected with Shinji Mikami really since he's more about play mechanics than anything.

It however sounds more like Shadows of the Damned than Resident Evil 4 in quality, a bit bland overall. I wouldn't go comparing it to Dark Souls just yet. It's not being marked down for being difficult but for being frustrating which is a very different thing.

It appears to be getting the same spread of reviews and meta score in general as Shadows of the Damned actually. Not a reflection of a bad game mind you, just one that perhaps falls into the category of solid but not spectacular. Still hope it does well though as, from reading between the lines in that interview with Mikami last year, development wasn't exactly cheap.

As for the difficulty comments, I tend to agree. From the Polygon review..
    But The Evil Within often provides almost no breathing room between intense, exhausting encounters. No sooner would I clear a room of a half dozen enemies than another half dozen would appear to take their place, with a frustrated quip from the protagonist. Stealth and running away are options for a portion of the scenarios, but just as many force you to take out all of the enemies before moving on.
    That's not a comment about difficulty, that's a comment about poor design.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »

It's polarizing plain and simple. You're taking your thought's from the negative critic / mine from the positive.

A mix between re4 & silent hill is fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It's polarizing plain and simple. You're taking your thought's from the negative critic / mine from the positive.

From looking over your posts, it seems pretty obvious that you had made up your mind regardless of how good or bad the game is. So your only focusing on the positive, which at the current time could easily be bought reviews.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No I'm just saying that ausgamers are terribly amateur.

• From looking over your posts, it seems pretty obvious that you had made up your mind regardless of how good or bad the game is. So your only focusing on the positive, which at the current time could easily be bought reviews.

That's clearly why I stated mine the positive and yes I'm buying this one regardless. I love Shinji Mikami's work; RE4 / Shadows of the Damned / Vanquish / God Hand / RE Remake to name a few.

All 'ifs and buts' that reviews are bought. Not sure why you even mention that.

No I'm just saying that ausgamers are terribly amateur.

In your opinion.

In your opinion.

Doesn't mean I'm wrong. It's a pretty lame statement to hide behind.

Doesn't mean I'm wrong. It's a pretty lame statement to hide behind.

Doesn't mean your right either. I'm just pointing out that your trying to push your point as fact when it's just an opinion.

I admit I'm looking at the game in a positive / bias light as I want it to do well, I have faith in the developers as I never have once been let down by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Anyone played it yet? I was all set to buy it now im not 100 percent sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

All the reviews so far, looking forward to playing it once it arrives from Amazon, reviews of horror games are always very subjective.
    IGN - 8.7/10
    Game Trailers - 9.0/10
    Game Informer - 9/10
    TheSixAxis - 8/10
    Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
    PC Games Magazine - 91/100
    AusGamer - 10/10
    Cheat Code Central - 4/5
    Gamesradar - 7/10
    Videogamer - 8/10
    German Gamepro - 90/100
    NewsGameNetwork - 72/100
    The Escapist - 3/5
    Thisgengaming - 8/10
    Gameblog - 4/5
    Polygon - 6.5/10
    Playstation Lifestyle - 8/10
    Pocket Lint - 4/5
    Joystiq - 2.5/5
    Readersgambit - 8/10
    BioGamer Girl - 9.5/10
    Push Square - 7/10
    Multiplayer Italian - 8.5/10
    Every Eye - 8/10
    God is Geek - 8/10
    Financial Post - 8.5/10
    Moviepilot: 8.5/10
    Metro - 6/10
    Gamekult - 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I watched GT review and it was really positive. I liked the look of gameplay. Maybe still a bit RE4 ish for my taste, but it does really look like a decent game.
    Some review websites are being dicks, just for the sake of being dicks at this stage.

I don't know. It's getting the same mixed reviews as Shadows of the Damned which I found painfully average. Usually at the start of the console lifecycle you get a lot of games getting quite high marks because there's not a lot really to choose from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm certainly not convinced enough to drop full price on it, given most of the publications I'd generally trust have expressed disappointment with it. I agree it sounds more like Shadows of the Damned than anything, which was enjoyable but far from Mikami's creative peak. Will wait til it's a bit cheaper in a month or two: it is 'that' time of the year after all, and the next two months have no shortage of games to buy and play, even if they are in boring old aspect ratios :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

To me it seems like it has reviewed the same way Alien Isolation did, except they are saying that the action is there except the horror is missing, compared to the horror being in Alien and the action being missing, the metascores are very close as well on console versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm looking forward to seeing a few views from here.

I'm still finishing Alien (about 3 chapters left) and I'm honestly struggling to see how it got a few poor reviews. Other than the terrible cutscenes it's been fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'm downloading it now so when I've played it for a while I'll give my opinion on it.

• Picked it up for PS4 in Smyth's for 30 euros even with Destiny traded against it :/

Will provide some thoughts on this prior to the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I don't usually go on 'pro critic' reviews but this is a great line from CVG

"If you liked Resident Evil 4 then The Evil Within has your name lovingly scratched on the inside of its eyelids"

I'd get the physical copy (PS4) if it was the same price as the US version 48 euro. 70 quid is too much and don't want to get it digitally as it seems like the game I'd trade eventually.

• Advertisement

• sheehy83 wrote: »
    I don't usually go on 'pro critic' reviews but this is a great line from CVG

"If you liked Resident Evil 4 then The Evil Within has your name lovingly scratched on the inside of its eyelids"

I'd get the physical copy (PS4) if it was the same price as the US version 48 euro. 70 quid is too much and don't want to get it digitally as it seems like the game I'd trade eventually.

It's been talked by critics to be the same vain as RE4, I'm not sure where all the Shadow of the Damned comparisons are coming from.

My Bandwidth locks me down to retail disk. Oh if I had decent Internet I would never buy retail again.

Advertisement