Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Just watched the first half an hour on youtube, fcuking hell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think comparing the reviews of this and alien is fair or even a valid comparison. The complaints against Alien was that the core concept was excellent but the run time was too long to sustain it and there was backtracking later on which are valid complaints.

• Just watched the first half an hour on youtube, fcuking hell.

In a good way or bad way?? No spoilers please :P

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I don't usually go on 'pro critic' reviews but this is a great line from CVG

"If you liked Resident Evil 4 then The Evil Within has your name lovingly scratched on the inside of its eyelids"

I'd get the physical copy (PS4) if it was the same price as the US version 48 euro. 70 quid is too much and don't want to get it digitally as it seems like the game I'd trade eventually.

You can if you order the disc off VGP+ it's what I've done. If your willing to wait a week or two for delivery!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

You can if you order the disc off VGP+ it's what I've done. If your willing to wait a week or two for delivery!!!!!!

Ah so that's what all the VGP talk is about I see on here? I'm new to the whole 'buying cheaper from US' I usually just trade in games but at the moment, it's cheaper to buy new from US then new here WITH a trade in. I just don't know if local shops would take the US game as a trade as the barcode might show a problem when they scan it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't think comparing the reviews of this and alien is fair or even a valid comparison. The complaints against Alien was that the core concept was excellent but the run time was too long to sustain it and there was backtracking later on which are valid complaints.

I didn't mean to come across as comparing the reviews really. Was just stating my surprise at some of the less favourable Alien reviews. Maybe I'll have a different opinion once I complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ah so that's what all the VGP talk is about I see on here? I'm new to the whole 'buying cheaper from US' I usually just trade in games but at the moment, it's cheaper to buy new from US then new here WITH a trade in. I just don't know if local shops would take the US game as a trade as the barcode might show a problem when they scan it.

VGP are a Canadian company which is why it works out cheaper again, Gamestop will not take a non EU game as a trade in, but just say you lost the box or print out a EU cover on matte paper and they will take it.

Xenji wrote: »
    VGP are a Canadian company which is why it works out cheaper again, Gamestop will not take a non EU game as a trade in, but just say you lost the box or print out a EU cover on matte paper and they will take it.

Thanks man, started a new thread asking it but you answered it! Ah Canadian, Jaysus great value, something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

On the second chapter now quite enjoying it so far. Not the best looking ps4 game out there but not ugly either! Looks better when it's dark so the fact that's how most game seems to be is good!

The controls are similar to most these types game s where a bit clunky at first but you get used to it it's the camera angle moving that you have to correct the most.

I ain't had much combat yet but managed to waste few bullets trying to shoot someone who seemed straight forward enough so I dunno if that was me being bad or fact he needed more then two head shots.

Anyway I see no major issues as of yet seems like a game I'll enjoy as it goes along. It does feel a bit resident evil 4 at times but nothing obviously bad in that sense just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

My local CEX takes American Games, they just look it up in their database. Traded in Destiny there about a week ago in there

• Advertisement

Thanks man, started a new thread asking it but you answered it! Ah Canadian, Jaysus great value, something to think about.

You will have no issues with customs either, have gotten stuff costing over 200 Euro and they always say it is just cheap dvds or toys, they offer an express service as well, you can get games in 3 days now.

Sincere apologies for the offtopic lads, just 2 more things.
    My local CEX takes American Games, they just look it up in their database. Traded in Destiny there about a week ago in there

Do you need an account to trade games in CEX and do they test the games? I traded a couple things into them before, had to go back in later that day only to be told they forgot to test it and come back tomorrow. That plus the huge queues was offputting.
    You will have no issues with customs either, have gotten stuff costing over 200 Euro and they always say it is just cheap dvds or toys, they offer an express service as well, you can get games in 3 days now.

How much is regular delivery?

Sincere apologies for the offtopic lads, just 2 more things.

Do you need an account to trade games in CEX and do they test the games? I traded a couple things into them before, had to go back in later that day only to be told they forgot to test it and come back tomorrow. That plus the huge queues was offputting.

How much is regular delivery?

5 Euro for standard, which takes about 10-12 days, 24 Euro for express which would take about 2-3 days.

Another thing noticed is lack of ammo around so far I assume this will change later in the game.

You have to run or stealth kill a lot early on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I can tell you 100% for certain that gamestop will not take them with the US/Canadian cover , Xtravision however will , it won't scan so the search manually in the system then put a sticker over the barcode when they put it on the shelf.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems a lot of publications did not receive review copies from Bethesda. They said they only had a limited number... Time to get my conspiracy theory hat on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Seems a lot of publications did not receive review copies from Bethesda. They said they only had a limited number... Time to get my conspiracy theory hat on!

No no that must true Retro, it's so limited our local Xtra Vision got none in :pac:

No bad thing I might have caved and spent silly money if they'd had it /phew :D

Off topic - Xtra Vision have gone to the dogs... well worse than they already were for getting new releases in on launch day, often they get them a week later, and ours is likely one of the biggest shops in the country :mad:

• Love it, played up until the middle of 3rd chapter before the match. So tense.
    Sneaking around conserving ammo and burning bodies - not to mention the traps and exploration.

I ****ing love the intro
    Chainsaw dude had me nerves rattled

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Love it, played up until the middle of 3rd chapter before the match. So tense.
    Sneaking around conserving ammo and burning bodies - not to mention the traps and exploration.

I ****ing love the intro
    Chainsaw dude had me nerves rattled

Im half way threw 2nd chapter aint had a chance to go back and play it yet but hopefully soon as i was enjoying it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

All the reviews so far, looking forward to playing it once it arrives from Amazon, reviews of horror games are always very subjective.

And all those numbers tell me exactly 0 about it :/

I've been watching Aris play this on stream for a while but I'm trying to keep it on my second monitor and not pay 100% attention to it to avoid spoilers.

My opinions from observing the stream Looks mostly ok so far. Aris is bad at most video games except Tekken and Dark Souls yet seems to be able to run circles around the enemies. He literally ran around 2 enemies about 10 times while looking for items and deciding if he should engage with them. He seemed scared, but to me that looked like something not scary at all.

Later he faced a large enemy that was extremely slow and ridiculously easy to predict.

The gore is great, lots of nice blood but too bad it fades from your body in literally 2 seconds, you can see it fade almost instantaneously. C'mon even The Suffering lasted longer than that.

Animations are really good though, as is the design of the game in my opinion. Voice is nothing special but it's a step up from RE1 I guess.

Aspect ratio not a problem to watch, dunno how it feels to play yet but Aris doesn't seem bothered by it then again he's the kind guy who wouldn't notice if he was playing in 4:3 or know what that even meant.

From the steam user reviews here http://store.steampowered.com/app/268050/

It seems that the aspect ratio console command fix is indeed broken as it doesn't adjust the FOV with it but actually crops the game :pac:

And over on the official forums here http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1508683-the-evil-withins-pc-aspect-ratio-explained-video/

Someone linked this dumb video

Where we're told very very slowly how DVD scaling options work as if we haven't know that since the 2000s started. But it's also the only video I know of that shows how the FOV and scaling is broken.

Console commands have been released by the official forum here http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1508646-debug-console-commands/

In which Bethesda kindly admits that any problems caused by console commands and therefore aspect ratio issues or framrate problems, are officially not dealt with via customer service and they'll be offering no help and likely no patches. Thanks for not helping with literally the only things anyone ever gives a feck about :pac:

Oh and anyone whose looking to get that true cinematic™ experience on an actual 21:9 Ultra wide-screen monitor... count yourself out. The game doesn't support actual wide-screen and truly is just 16:9 with black bars. Derp

pic related http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/14404397/img/misc/P1011721.jpg

Also wondering how this even performs on last gen consoles considering they're running at 1280x720 resolution and with black bars so the technical resolution would have <720 vertical pixels... meaning it's SD. Except for you know, the text saying "paused" which I guess is what their unique use of the black areas was going to be.

Back to actual gameplay and design though... the enemies look good but sometimes quite uninspired. Pretty much zombies, Pyramid Head with a chainsaw chainsaw with more aggression, some "The Suffering" rip offs. Oh and you change dimension and enter the safe area with mirrors, and sometimes the 'safe' area isn't so safe. They just ripped off 2 other horror games from the same series in one go with that. Silent Hill Origins and 4, for anyone who isn't familiar with them.

The main protagonist can break large metal padlocks with his fist as well as break through up to 3 (or more) large wooden boxes and containers with his bare hands in one swing, shattering them to splinters. The most common enemies can also be completely cheesed out with unarmed melee attacks via this basic strategy which Aris has figured out.

Attack, attack, back off (to dodge), return and repeat.

Despite ALL this... still just looks like an enjoyable game but certainly not worth full price. Hell I don't even feel like paying the €30 for it outside of steam store. Might grab it when it's eventually 15-25 quid in a few months. Thanks Mikami, but no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Another thing noticed is lack of ammo around so far I assume this will change later in the game.

You have to run or stealth kill a lot early on.

You say that like that's a bad thing. I hate survival horror games that load you up with ammo. Not much scary about having 100 bullets in your shotgun.

Kiith wrote: »
    You say that like that's a bad thing. I hate survival horror games that load you up with ammo. Not much scary about having 100 bullets in your shotgun.

Ya true its not a bad thing at this moment in time in the game anyway as the enemy's can be rid of in other ways.

Had the game bout a day now glad I bought it and would say if you have any interest at all in this game or like how it looks from reviews or trailers try it out!

I can find no major faults with it so far it's a good survival horror game similar to resident evil 4 in ways then any of the others but at same time it has enough of its own charm.

The camera is only issue I have right now sometimes you find your stuck in front of something in your view or your changing it around to see better from the view of your character. Really though it's nothing major once you start getting into game you get the hang of it.

Anyway don't mind the bad reviews I see no issues in this game from what I've played so far I'm on chapter 3 currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, from what I see so far, this game gets way too much of negative outlook then it actually deserves.

I have not played it, but it is on my "games to get" list. I am a bit tight with money right now, but I will be getting this 100%.

Well, from what I see so far, this game gets way too much of negative outlook then it actually deserves.

I have not played it, but it is on my "games to get" list. I am a bit tight with money right now, but I will be getting this 100%.

I don't see why it would get any major complaints from what I've played so far played bout two hours of gameplay and likr I said only thing I had to get used to was the camera.

The graphics also look alot better then I originally taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

So is the performance as bad as the "Digital Foundry analysis" makes it out to be ?
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-evil-within-performance-analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

So is the performance as bad as the "Digital Foundry analysis" makes it out to be ?
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-evil-within-performance-analysis

Was just about to post that.

It's the only thing I'd be interested in and I'll probably hold off buying unless it's improved a bit.

A lot of people are complaining about the performance and the aspect ratio, going by digital foundry it definitely seems like it was implemented due to performance isues since it's actually a much wider aspect ratio than 2.35:1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I'm two hours into it now and I'm loving it so far. The bars on the top and bottom (whatever they're called) bothered me for around 20 minutes. By now they're a complete non issue. Actually they add to the claustrophobic feeling when the game gets a bit darker..

The survival horror trope of having fúck all supplies is annoying me but that's what the genre is all about so it's more frustration than a complaint.

Long story short, so far so good.

• Advertisement

GerB40 wrote: »
    I'm two hours into it now and I'm loving it so far. The bars on the top and bottom (whatever they're called) bothered me for around 20 minutes. By now they're a complete non issue. Actually they add to the claustrophobic feeling when the game gets a bit darker..

The survival horror trope of having fúck all supplies is annoying me but that's what the genre is all about so it's more frustration than a complaint.

Long story short, so far so good.

The complaints ive heard from people so far are all nitty gritty issues that you can overlook without any major fuss.

At the end of the day its never going to be a last of us or a skyrim but its a good survival horror game and thats what its meant to be!.

If your anyway curious or interested in playing it ignore the reviews and try it yourself im glad i did!.

Advertisement