Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Evil Within

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Hs anyone noticed the performance issues mentioned in the digital foundry article?

Or are the dips okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

tok9 wrote: »
    Hs anyone noticed the performance issues mentioned in the digital foundry article?

Or are the dips okay?

I dont know what im meant be looking out for cause everything looks ok to me!

40 Inch screen and ps4 and everything looks fine!.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Played about 3 hours this evening.

Utter garbage. Feels like a budget PS2 game. Awful combat, shonky controls and insta-death abound.

Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I dont know what im meant be looking out for cause everything looks ok to me!

40 Inch screen and ps4 and everything looks fine!.

There are some framerate issues. Game slows down/stutters at the start especially, maybe because the eye is just becoming accustomed to it. After awhile its not noticeable. i agree with an earlier poster that you get used to the black bars. But i just think they do detract from the game. Solid game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Played about 3 hours this evening.

Utter garbage. Feels like a budget PS2 game. Awful combat, shonky controls and insta-death abound.

Avoid.

Put it on easy mode and maybe use cheats. You can cruise through it then instead of trying. BTW dont play alien isolation. Maybe too scary for you. :p:o

• Advertisement

cursai wrote: »
    Put it on easy mode and maybe use cheats. You can cruise through it then instead of trying. BTW dont play alien isolation. Maybe too scary for you. :p:o

Probably going to trade it in tomorrow even though I only got it today. It's truly awful.

I love scary games, I hate ****e games. This game is utter ****e.

• tok9 wrote: »

Or are the dips okay?

Only minor dip I noticed was when I got swarmed by a mob in an outside area. From a playability perspective I still had no issues.

^Having issues with the controls, I'm having no issues with them at all. The games not for everyone as it's genuinely a testing experience in regards to difficulty.

The control scheme takes a a little bit of time to fully get used to but when you do it's great. There's aim assist upgrades ala TLOU with certain weapons which steadies the aim. (The upgrade system is great but I won't reveal anymore on it as it's delivered in a very unique way).

I'm currently on Chapter 5 :eek::eek: - All I will say is...****ed uppp

I'm loving the game, had to drag myself away from it last night.
    Picture RE4 but much bleaker (Peg in a bit of The Grudge - Japanese horror / Silent Hill).
    The games pacing varies from slow tense / freaky sections then it can switch to survival battles or stealth sections.

The exploration is great even for a linear game. There's lots of buildings that you scavenge for precious loot etc.. but it' risk and reward as you may be attacked.

The stealth mechanic is enjoyable and further adds to the tension. Making noise (For Example: Kicking the door open instead of slowly pushing it open) or using your lamp light attracts attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I must have been living under a rock for past year as i only discovered this game today hahaha

Looks interesting to me, is it a recommended game? Think il give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Only played 2 hours last night, started chapter 3.

Love it! Totally reminds me of re4 and I LOVE that game, but much much darker and looks very pretty. I can see me coming back to this game over the years.

I have it for the ps3 and have seen no problems with the visuals or controls.

I will prob get the ps4 version next year if they release a version with extras.

If you're unsure of buying this, just buy it, worth the full price to me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I was watching a stream of it in action last night, it looks like a decent mix of The Last of Us and Resident Evil which the streamer agreed was a fair description of the gameplay and mechanics.

It's going onto the wishlist and I might pick it up in a steam sale - it's not normally my cuppa tea, but the game play from the stream I was watching made it look like a lot of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

I ordered this yesterday off simplygames, 54e delivered. So many mixed impressions, only one way to know for sure is to play the damn thing.. I've just recently finished Shadows of the damned, once the game is nothing like that ill be happy.. and i know Resi 4 is worshiped, but its only an average action game imo, im hoping TEW is very different to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

and i know Resi 4 is worshiped, but its only an average action game imo

Such blasphemy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I ordered this yesterday off simplygames, 54e delivered. So many mixed impressions, only one way to know for sure is to play the damn thing.. I've just recently finished Shadows of the damned, once the game is nothing like that ill be happy.. and i know Resi 4 is worshiped, but its only an average action game imo, im hoping TEW is very different to it.

I hope you get it, they are a bunch of cowboys who have been investigated plenty of times by trading standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Really ?, well it dispatched yesterday (once you order before 4pm, same day dispatch). I got Alien last week from them no bother too.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Such blasphemy!

It was the beginning of the end of resi man...:( sniff, sniff

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭sockpuppets

Really disappointed with this game. Had high hopes for it but it's terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Someone seems to be making a fix for the AR and FOV problem here: http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=154099&sid=96332e0d447e1ec69599f2fc0ef6f7c7#p154099

If done correctly, the mod will stop the FOV or viewpoint from unnecessarily zooming in when the black bars are removed or for it truly support ultra wide monitors or triple monitor setups so it's running an actual wider resolution and FOV like movies :)

Still rumblings about the performance, though: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-is-it-possible-to-run-the-evil-within-pc-at-1080p60?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

If performance is fixed, patches are released and GPU driver optimisations are released along with a functioning version of the above mod, I might actually pick this up sooner than I thought I'd have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Xenji wrote: »
    I hope you get it, they are a bunch of cowboys who have been investigated plenty of times by trading standards.

What really ?

Iv read alot of of postive reviews of that site

I ordered alien and evil within for 109 and received both im very happy
    They replyed back to my emails i sent within the hour i found them great

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-is-it-possible-to-run-the-evil-within-pc-at-1080p60

was going to pick this up, but not even a sale could tempt me now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-is-it-possible-to-run-the-evil-within-pc-at-1080p60

Im not a graphic whore a good game will be a good game regardless of graphics (minecraft) but when a game depends on its graphics to work it should be expected to scale up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

@biggebruv Although there certainly are stolen keys being sold online, most 'grey market' key sellers haven't stolen the keys, just re-sold them from different regions. Publishers (and Valve) are really butthurt about this and have been posting around popular forums and sites to create a narrative of how they can't be trusted and so on. They've been pretty successful in their damage control as a whole twitch chat responded negatively when I offered a kinguin key to a streamer I know who was wanting to buy TEW. He got the key in the end no problems and you're pretty safe if you use something like paypal if foul play does arise later on which is unlikely with the most popular key sites.

In my personal experience I've gotten keys from 2 grey market re-sellers no problem. Just pay attention if you're buying any region locked keys as that's when things do start to get pretty iffy with VPN activations on steam (TOS breach). That said, I haven't used the site you mentioned so I cannot vouch for it specifically but there is a definite blanket negative posture towards resellers among consumers now so take criticisms with a pinch of salt but do be careful as well, of course.

dreamers75 wrote: »

was going to pick this up, but not even a sale could tempt me now.

Im not a graphic whore a good game will be a good game regardless of graphics (minecraft) but when a game depends on its graphics to work it should be expected to scale up.

This is a bad game with mediocre graphics and fairly poor performance.

I'm genuinely befuddled as to how people are getting any enjoyment out of it. I presume they are just dealing differently with the same buyers remorse I'm feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

This is a bad game with mediocre graphics and fairly poor performance.

I'm genuinely befuddled as to how people are getting any enjoyment out of it. I presume they are just dealing differently with the same buyers remorse I'm feeling.

OR maybe, just maybe, different people have different opinions..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

GerB40 wrote: »
    OR maybe, just maybe, different people have different opinions..

And don't suck at playing games :P Onto Chapter 4 now and haven't died very much. I really don't get on well with stealth games normally (I have no patience) but finding this a lot of fun!

And don't suck at playing games :P Onto Chapter 4 now and haven't died very much. I really don't get on well with stealth games normally (I have no patience) but finding this a lot of fun!

The end of chapter 3 is driving me up the fùckin wall.. I know what I have to do but it just ain't happenin.

• GerB40 wrote: »
    The end of chapter 3 is driving me up the fùckin wall.. I know what I have to do but it just ain't happenin.
    One tip; boost your stamina to level 2 or three aid running away without tiring in sticky situations and prep your shots from a distance. Getting the handgun stability upgrade to at least level 2 helps also.
    It's best not to fight the chainsaw dude in tight spaces, lead him outside to the main road.
    I would suggest taking down all the zombies first, try using headshots from your pistol.
    When it's just you and the chainsaw guy, go for headshots with your Shotgun, then switch to Explosive Bolts from the crossbow.
    When he gets close, side step him and run away, then him from a distance.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    One tip; boost your stamina to level 2 or three aid running away without tiring in sticky situations and prep your shots from a distance. Getting the handgun stability upgrade to at least level 2 helps also.
    It's best not to fight the chainsaw dude in tight spaces, lead him outside to the main road.
    I would suggest taking down all the zombies first, try using headshots from your pistol.
    When it's just you and the chainsaw guy, go for headshots with your Shotgun, then switch to Explosive Bolts from the crossbow.
    When he gets close, side step him and run away, then him from a distance.

Thank you so much... I haven't boosted my stamina yet, only my gun so that was a bit of an oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I killed him without having upgraded yet. At that point i'd killed all the zombies in the area with mostly stealth attacks so the only thing I had to deal with was the chainsaw fella and the few new zombies who spawned. I had the crossbow for most of the fight, taking out most of the zombies with a single explosive bolt. I majorly panicked the buttons and kept picking the wrong type of ammo so I luckily hit everyone with a flash bolt at the right time by mistake :D A grenade helped stop the final one or two zombies and the shotgun took care of the chainsaw dude. Spent the entire fight inside the barn so it's doable enough if you've got decent firepower.

• GerB40 wrote: »
    Thank you so much... I haven't boosted my stamina yet, only my gun so that was a bit of an oversight.

It's really helps as it prevents Sebastian from running down his stamina too soon. When you drain the stamina he nearly comes to a complete stop due to exhaustion.

Try and increase the stamina level and regulate how long you spend sprinting.
    If an enemy is up close a quick burst of speed can aid to dodge attacks.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's really helps as it prevents Sebastian from running down his stamina too soon. When you drain the stamina he nearly comes to a complete stop due to exhaustion.

Try and increase the stamina level and regulate how long you spend sprinting.
    If an enemy is up close a quick burst of speed can aid to dodge attacks.

Yeah I think I'm after getting too far too fast into the game without slowing down and thinking a couple of steps ahead.. It's such a frustrating game in the best way possible.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Had a quick run on this on PC last night.
    Looks promising.

Runs fine, 30 FPS doesn't bother me much. Black bars are not annoying me either but the camera is a pain. Can't see where your going. Not a great thing when your being chased by a manaic with a chainsaw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Started playing this game today.

It's incredibly tense, although I'm a sissy with horror games so it mightn't be for others.

I can understand why some people don't like it though. There's something odd about the graphics, maybe the character models but certain aspects of it remind me of a late ps2 game.

Also the fact you come out of the lift with your leg miraculously healed seems very amateurish for a game in 2014. Maybe that'll be explained later though.

Advertisement