Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Won't recognise new hard drive

Options
  • 12-01-2014 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have an old Dell Dimension 5150 with a flashing orange light - power supply issue (running windows XP). I wanted to take the data off it, so I've taken the hard disk (Samsung) from this and placed it into the spare hard disk caddy on a second Dell dimension e520 (running windows 7). Restarted the 520, checked the bios to make sure that I had the second caddy turned on. The Samsung drive is visible in the device management control panel, but not visible as a usable disk - the computer only shows a C: and D: drive.

Any suggestions at all?

Thanks for your help

Richard

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

First thought is that the device that you've moved over is being seen as another C drive, and it won't like that at all.

The other possibility is that the MBR (Master boot record) information between XP and Win 7 is not compatible, so 7 can't decide what's on the disc, but I don't know 7 internals well enough to be 100% sure about that.

If it's seeing it in the device management software, then it has to be down to some form of software (operating system) related issue.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Is the disk active? In disk management right click and I believe the option is there.
    Don't have a pc in front of me atm so can't verify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Assign the volumes on the hard disk drive letters in disk management

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You probably need to initialise the drive in Disk Management to be able to see it, or else go into Disk Management and change the drive letter. Start >> Run >> Diskmgmt.msc will bring you to the disk management utility

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Thanks a million to the four of you. Went into disk management and the Samsung was offline because its unique ID clashed with the C:. Selected it to go online and problem solved. 31k files now being copied onto an external drive and then onto the new laptop. Really appreciate your speedy + expert help with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

richardjjd wrote: »
    Thanks a million to the four of you. Went into disk management and the Samsung was offline because its unique ID clashed with the C:. Selected it to go online and problem solved. 31k files now being copied onto an external drive and then onto the new laptop. Really appreciate your speedy + expert help with this.

Glad you got it sorted :)

Advertisement