Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vokera Mynute 10se losing water pressure...

• 12-01-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

So we have a Vokera Mynute 10se in an apartment we rent. Its years old and has generally been trouble free with the exception of an external expansion vessel being fitted a few years ago and replaced again last year due to the boiler being over filled.

Whenever we have cause to visit the apartment I generally check to see what the water level is in the boiler (1-2 times per year) and often find it about down to zero. We always explain to tenants the importance of keeping the pressure up at 1.0-1.5 and to regularly monitor it stays there. I cannot know if they even bother to do this or not.

So recently we had a change of tenants. Again boiler was low so I topped it up. Room thermostat had been broken so that was replaced by electrician. After that boiler would not fire, upon investigation it turned out the room thermostat was wired incorrectly and was subsequently re-wired and the boiler fired up.

New tenants have since moved in and again were explained about checking and topping up the pressure. Was down with the tenants this weekend and they said when they boosted the heating the other night there was some mad noises coming from the boiler and they were freaked out so turned it off. They tried it again later and it seemed to work fine. When I checked the pressure it was pretty much down to zero again. So from 1.5 to 0 in a around 3 weeks? When I was filling the boiler again the tenants said the noise of the filling was like the sound the boiler was making (high water pressure filling noise), so from reading around here it is sounding like it could the heat exchanger?

I cannot find any leaks visible in any rooms.

So my questions:

- would the heat exchanger failing or being on the way out cause the loss of water pressure?
    - would you not hear such noises every time if it was the heat exchanger?
    - I am also still not convinced the room thermostat is wired correctly. Although the heating is working, the thermo does not light up and when you adjust the temperature wheel on it I can hear the "click" noise at around 10degrees when I am sure the room is much warmer than that.
    - Would a boiler service such as this, help identify the problem?

Other suggestions, advice or items to check?

Thanks! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

eddiem74 wrote: »
    So we have a Vokera Mynute 10se in an apartment we rent. Its years old and has generally been trouble free with the exception of an external expansion vessel being fitted a few years ago and replaced again last year due to the boiler being over filled.

Whenever we have cause to visit the apartment I generally check to see what the water level is in the boiler (1-2 times per year) and often find it about down to zero. We always explain to tenants the importance of keeping the pressure up at 1.0-1.5 and to regularly monitor it stays there. I cannot know if they even bother to do this or not.

So recently we had a change of tenants. Again boiler was low so I topped it up. Room thermostat had been broken so that was replaced by electrician. After that boiler would not fire, upon investigation it turned out the room thermostat was wired incorrectly and was subsequently re-wired and the boiler fired up.

New tenants have since moved in and again were explained about checking and topping up the pressure. Was down with the tenants this weekend and they said when they boosted the heating the other night there was some mad noises coming from the boiler and they were freaked out so turned it off. They tried it again later and it seemed to work fine. When I checked the pressure it was pretty much down to zero again. So from 1.5 to 0 in a around 3 weeks? When I was filling the boiler again the tenants said the noise of the filling was like the sound the boiler was making (high water pressure filling noise), so from reading around here it is sounding like it could the heat exchanger?

So my questions:

- would the heat exchanger failing or being on the way out cause the loss of water pressure?
    - I am also still not convinced the room thermostat is wired correctly. Although the heating is working, the thermo does not light up and when you adjust the temperature wheel on it I can hear the "click" noise at around 10degrees when I am sure the room is much warmer than that.

I you can get it serviced for €39, which is most likely + Vat, by a qualified service man, I'd recommend to get it done. He might also check the room stat if you ask him. How ever the loss of pressure in three weeks is another issue. Could be a number of things, leak or the safety valve may be faulty.
    Again the service guy may check the safety valve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Froststop wrote: »
    I you can get it serviced for €39, which is most likely + Vat, by a qualified service man, I'd recommend to get it done. He might also check the room stat if you ask him. How ever the loss of pressure in three weeks is another issue. Could be a number of things, leak or the safety valve may be faulty.
    Again the service guy may check the safety valve.

So you don't think heat exchanger or service man would determine that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

So my questions:

First of all if you can get a boiler serviced for 39€ I can guarantee it will be done half arsed . Secondly , no a heatexchanger wouldn't cause the drop in pressure , unless it was leaking . On which case you would have seen water pouring from the boiler . Your expansion vessel may be flat which has caused the safety valve to open , a good service will determine this and rectify it and also replace safety valve at extra cost. . The expansion vessel diaphragm may be split which would require a new safety valve and vessel . Alternatively you could have a small weep on a fitting or rad valve on the system , air vents are another culprit . You really need to get someone in to carry all these checks out , but expect to pay closer the 80/90 euro mark + extras , as opposed to a €39 boiler wipe down

So you don't think heat exchanger or service man would determine that?

The heat exchanger should be ok, It should have nothing to do with loss of pressure unless it is leaking which should be visible. The safety vale is only a visual inspection when pressure is at 1.5 bar to see if it's passing water. He will be able to test the room stat to make sure it's doing its job. You mentioned the room temp being warmer than the room stat setting. Some stats can be out by a few degrees and are not always 100% accurate. The only thing he may not be able to do is test the heating system for leak. He should be able to point you in the right direction as to your problem.

Egass13 wrote: »
    First of all if you can get a boiler serviced for 39€ I can guarantee it will be done half arsed . Secondly , no a heatexchanger wouldn't cause the drop in pressure , unless it was leaking . On which case you would have seen water pouring from the boiler . Your expansion vessel may be flat which has caused the safety valve to open , a good service will determine this and rectify it and also replace safety valve at extra cost. . The expansion vessel diaphragm may be split which would require a new safety valve and vessel . Alternatively you could have a small weep on a fitting or rad valve on the system , air vents are another culprit . You really need to get someone in to carry all these checks out , but expect to pay closer the 80/90 euro mark + extras , as opposed to a €39 boiler wipe down

They normally charge €105 but are doing an 18 point check and issuing a cert for €39 as a special offer. You can read it per the deal linked to above. Generally I would be wary but they are registered so was considering it...

• Advertisement

They normally charge €105 but are doing an 18 point check and issuing a cert for €39 as a special offer. You can read it per the deal linked to above. Generally I would be wary but they are registered so was considering it...

The price does sound cheap, so make sure if you can that they are not chancing their arm, That could be just to call and they hit you with hidden charges after.

The price does sound cheap, so make sure if you can that they are not chancing their arm, That could be just to call and they hit you with hidden charges after.

Yeah I know and am a little wary but the 18 point check they do and issuing of the cert seems consistent with what the main gas providers offer for €99. We have a plumber we know but he is generally more on the installation side of things rather than servicing.

My other option is just to pay the €99 to the gas service provider for one of their guys to do it however I have also seen inconsistent results there with my own boiler, some very thorough and some not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

+1 on that , if it sounds too good to be true it usually isn't. On the other end of the scale €105 is bit steep for a boiler service anyway. Even bord gais only charge €99 , and that's expensive . About 80 inc vat is a good price IMO

Egass13 wrote: »
    +1 on that , if it sounds too good to be true it usually isn't. On the other end of the scale €105 is bit steep for a boiler service anyway. Even bord gais only charge €99 , and that's expensive . About 80 inc vat is a good price IMO

So how would I find this €80 service from someone in my area (North Co. Dublin i.e. Skerries, Lusk, Rush) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

So how would I find this €80 service from someone in my area (North Co. Dublin i.e. Skerries, Lusk, Rush) ?

PM JohnnieK here on boards. He's in that area & you won't find a better service person.

• Advertisement
Advertisement