Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signalling straight ahead on mini-roundabout

• 12-01-2014 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering what is the right procedure when taking the first exist straight ahead on a mini roundabout. I have been receiving conflicting info from people. Some say you have to indicate left just as you approach the roundabout (apparently this is to inform up coming road users that you are heading straight), others say you have to indicate just halfway through the mini-roundabout (similar to taking the 2nd exit of a normal roundabout). Something similar to the mini-roundabout in the pic

Help is much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

http://goo.gl/maps/dFShP

If its like this one. You dont have to indicate when going straight through but you can, flick on flick off. Be weary of people treating it like its not there when turning right.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

Interesting my driving instructor mentioned that I should always indicate as normal when heading 2nd exit straight ahead and third exit to the right (i.e have the right indicator on till you pass the second exit and then indicate left as you exit) on a mini roundabout. I am finding that everybody has different opinion on this one.. any one know what is RSA stance for mini roundabout when doing the driving test ? as it never says anything about mini roundabout on the Rules of the Road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I would indicate to the left as I approach the roundabout as the exit I am taking is not after 12 o'clock, and it's the first exit of the roundabout.

This makes sense to me, and it was what my ADI taught me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Mini-roundabouts should be treated like any other roundabout.
    If the exit is at 12, regardless if it's the 1st or 2nd exit there is no signal on the approach. The left signal is made around the 9 o'clock position indicating you are exiting

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ARCD

Firstly, mini-roundabouts are treated the exact same way as large roundabouts.

Secondly, the correct procedure for going straight ahead when this is the first exit is to indicate left BEFORE the roundabout. Think about it, what is the purpose of the indicator? To let other road users know your intentions. Giving the signal early shows other road users what you intend to do and they can plan their actions accordingly.

Here's an example I came across in a driving lesson. I approached to go straight (first exit) and like others didn't think an indicator was necessary. As I approached I saw a car coming from my right, indicating he wanted to turn right (exit I wanted) so I waited for him. To his right was a bus approaching to go straight so he waited too. Because I had no signal on the bus had no idea where I was going and so waited for me. We all had a few seconds sitting there not knowing whether to go or not because we all conceded right of way. My instructor told me to proceed and once clear of the junction told me I had caused that mess. If I had my signal on the bus would have known I was not crossing his path and we all would have proceeded quicker, lesson learned.

• Advertisement

ARCD wrote: »
    Firstly, mini-roundabouts are treated the exact same way as large roundabouts.

Secondly, the correct procedure for going straight ahead when this is the first exit is to indicate left BEFORE the roundabout. Think about it, what is the purpose of the indicator? To let other road users know your intentions. Giving the signal early shows other road users what you intend to do and they can plan their actions accordingly.

Here's an example I came across in a driving lesson. I approached to go straight (first exit) and like others didn't think an indicator was necessary. As I approached I saw a car coming from my right, indicating he wanted to turn right (exit I wanted) so I waited for him. To his right was a bus approaching to go straight so he waited too. Because I had no signal on the bus had no idea where I was going and so waited for me. We all had a few seconds sitting there not knowing whether to go or not because we all conceded right of way. My instructor told me to proceed and once clear of the junction told me I had caused that mess. If I had my signal on the bus would have known I was not crossing his path and we all would have proceeded quicker, lesson learned.
    And your instructor blamed you for that??
    It's like reaching a junction of equal importance. It takes someone, usually the one with the biggest balls, to kick off the movement.

And your instructor blamed you for that??
    It's like reaching a junction of equal importance. It takes someone, usually the one with the biggest balls, to kick off the movement.

Yes, but as my instructor said if I had signalled early and correctly the mess would have been completely avoided. Things like that will go against you in a test so I have no issues with what he said, I still feel he was right to say it.

Yes, but as my instructor said if I had signalled early and correctly the mess would have been completely avoided. Things like that will go against you in a test so I have no issues with what he said, I still feel he was right to say it.

Don't see how. A car was to your right. You HAD to yield to it assuming it was close enough to the roundabout. Someone's signal isn't enough to proceed so the bus can't just go because you signal.
    Granted it can be easier to see the exact situation play out as it happens but you need to be careful what advice you give out on here (this isn't a dig at you) as people take it as word.

Alright clearly it was a bad example then. My point was not who's right and who's wrong, it was to show that not signalling creates confusion. Back to the original topic, yes signal early before the roundabout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

Alright clearly it was a bad example then. My point was not who's right and who's wrong, it was to show that not signalling creates confusion. Back to the original topic, yes signal early before the roundabout

what? why?

Going by OP picture if I was approaching from the bottom, i wouldnt indicate until Ive gone passed the first exit, and indicate coming off it.

If you indicate left approaching the roundabout, then cars on exit 1 will think you are going to turn left.

• Advertisement

what? why?

Going by OP picture if I was approaching from the bottom, i wouldnt indicate until Ive gone passed the first exit, and indicate coming off it.

If you indicate left approaching the roundabout, then cars on exit 1 will think you are going to turn left.

That is not what this topic is about, although you are correct in what you said. I would never advise indicating when there is also a left turn, but this topic is about approaching that roundabout from the right-hand side to go straight (FIRST exit). When going straight in this instance indicate before the roundabout.

To put it simply this is how to indicate at a roundabout:

1. Taking FIRST exit up to 12 o'clock position/straight ahead, indicate left before the roundabout.
    2. Taking SECOND or later exit up to 12 o'clock position/straight ahead DO NOT indicate on approach. ONLY indicate left when you pass the exit before the one you wish to take.
    3. Taking ANY exit after 12 o'clock position/straight ahead, indicate right on approach. Then indicate left when you pass the exit before the one you wish to take.

I hope this has cleared up any confusion

Mini-roundabouts should be treated like any other roundabout.
    If the exit is at 12, regardless if it's the 1st or 2nd exit there is no signal on the approach. The left signal is made around the 9 o'clock position indicating you are exiting

But when the first exit is at 12 o'clock, why would you wait until you have passed the 9 o'clock position in order to signal? :confused: I don't see any reason not to indicate as you approach the roundabout.

I agree with what ARCD said below:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

But when the first exit is at 12 o'clock, why would you wait until you have passed the 9 o'clock position in order to signal? :confused: I don't see any reason not to indicate as you approach the roundabout.

+1
    when taking the first exit, irrespective of whether or not its before 12 or at 12, indicate so that everyone else waiting to get on the roundabout knows your intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

Thanks Folks, So I think I will be indicating left as I approach the mini-roundabout..

Really appreciate the help folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Another q on mini roundabouts
    If the second exit is at 12 0clock, I've been told you don't have to indicate at all just drive straight on. True or false?

False, treat them exactly like you would a standard roundabout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

I dont think you have to on a mini roundabout. People dont. On the test you may as well to be safe.

If the second exit is at 12 0clock, I've been told you don't have to indicate at all just drive straight on. True or false?

You should indicate, but don't signal 'left' until you have passed the exit before the one you intend to take (in your example, the first exit). Simples :)

Because you signal where the first exit would NORMALLY be found.
    A mini-roundabout should be treated EXACTLY as a normal roundabout.

If you approached a regular sized roundabout with the first exit at 12 you should not signal on the approach.

If you approached a regular sized roundabout with the first exit at 12 you should not signal on the approach.

So your answer is that the driver should 'signal where the first exit would normally be found?? :confused: Ah here, that sounds ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

So your answer is that the driver should 'signal where the first exit would normally be found?? :confused: Ah here, that sounds ridiculous.

I agree. The 1st exit is at 12 o'clock so you should signal before entering the roundabout.

I agree. The 1st exit is at 12 o'clock so you should signal before entering the roundabout.

How is it ridiculous? What's so difficult for you to understand?
    You are going straight ahead, you've no straight ahead signal. You aren't going left. You don't signal on the approach but signal left at the 9 o'clock position as you would normally.
    There a first exit straight ahead roundabouts on the test routes I instruct on. My pupils don't pick up marks for misleading signals or signals on roundabouts for things like we're discussing.
    I was taught this way years ago by a UK ADI and again by my ADI trainer over here.

If drivers had a better understanding of roundabouts, position and signals to be given they'd know that no signal means straight ahead. Given that mini-roundabouts are, by their very nature, much smaller then all drivers approaching should do so with caution and prepare to stop regardless of what signals are being used or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

How is it ridiculous? What's so difficult for you to understand?
    You are going straight ahead, you've no straight ahead signal. You aren't going left. You don't signal on the approach but signal left at the 9 o'clock position as you would normally.
    There a first exit straight ahead roundabouts on the test routes I instruct on. My pupils don't pick up marks for misleading signals or signals on roundabouts for things like we're discussing.
    I was taught this way years ago by a UK ADI and again by my ADI trainer over here.

If drivers had a better understanding of roundabouts, position and signals to be given they'd know that no signal means straight ahead. Given that mini-roundabouts are, by their very nature, much smaller then all drivers approaching should do so with caution and prepare to stop regardless of what signals are being used or not

You are leaving the roundabout, to the left, at the first exit, hence you indicate left early enough to alert anybody approaching from the 12 o'clock position that they are free to enter the roundabout.

If you leave it until passing the 9 o'clock position, the other driver is completely unaware of your intentions up until that point, and needs to hold back until you do finally indicate.

Which option do you think lends itself best to a smooth flow of traffic?

hognef wrote: »
    You are leaving the roundabout, to the left, at the first exit, hence you indicate left early enough to alert anybody approaching from the 12 o'clock position that they are free to enter the roundabout.

If you leave it until passing the 9 o'clock position, the other driver is completely unaware of your intentions up until that point, and needs to hold back until you do finally indicate.

Which option do you think lends itself best to a smooth flow of traffic?

It's as simple as this.
    Left says I'm going left
    No signal says I'm going straight
    Right signal says I'm going right.

If people don't understand that, that's their lookout.

A mini-roundabout should be treated exactly like a normal one. That's the bottom line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

That's wrong.

If you're taking the first exit, indicate left coming up to the roundabout (doesn't matter if it's at 9 o'clock, 12 o'clock or 2 o'clock)

If you're taking the second exit, then indicate as you're passing the first exit. (however, if this exit is at 3 o'clock, then I'd indicate right. Don't know if that proper procedure, but it makes sense to me)

If you're taking the third or more exit, then indicate right, then indicate left as you pass the exit before your one.

That's what my driving examiner told me, since I got a fault on it. I was coming up to a roundabout with two exits. One to the right and one straight ahead. I indicated left when I was on the roundabout as (similar to MascotDec85) I though that was the procedure when going straight through.

Even though you could have your indicator on for a good while, you're still taking the first exit.

That said, very few people know how to indicate, so don't trust any of them. Don't even trust people coming onto the roundabout as I've almost had an accident twice in the last week with people driving out in front of me on the roundabout.

It's as simple as this.
    Left says I'm going left

A mini-roundabout should be treated exactly like a normal one. That's the
    bottom line.

The rules state you indicate after the exit before the one before the one you want to take. Not an imaginary exit at 9 o'clock. Strictly speaking wouldn't this mean you should indicate as soon as you enter the roundabout?

It's as simple as this.
    Left says I'm going left

bottom line.

The rules state you indicate after the exit before the one before the one you want to take. Not an imaginary exit at 9 o'clock. Strictly speaking wouldn't this mean you should indicate ad soon as you enter the roundabout?

It's as simple as this.
    Left says I'm going left

bottom line.

The rules state you indicate after the exit before the one before the one you want to take. Not an imaginary exit at 9 o'clock. Strictly speaking wouldn't this mean you should indicate ad soon as you enter the roundabout?

• Advertisement

It's as simple as this.
    Left says I'm going left

bottom line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

when i was an instructor I had to deal with a three exit roundabout whose first exit was at 12'oclock . (Obviously when coming from one direction only and it was not a mini-roundabout but had two lanes)

Forgetting about roundabouts for the moment, the basic rule of indicating, you should indicate as soon as possible but not so soon that it might mislead. So, I would have my pupils indicate on approach. There was no possibiity of misleading anybody as you were indicating that you were taking the next turn on the left. As it was a roundabout, this would mean the first exit. Irrespective of its position on the roundabout - why should it matter where its situated ? What difference could it possibly make ?

However, the problem with this was that the moment we entered the roundabout and started following the road the indicator would cancel. Pupils would then re-indicate but as there was now a slight "right" turn on the wheel it was a futile exercise as it would immediately cancel again. A few pupils, ('specially the womin) could get really botherd by this and start fighting with the indicator almost to the exclusion of everything else., I would correct them, tell them wait to re-indicate at the 9'o'clock position where it would not cancel. This would be fine then on lessons, but I was always afraid that with the nerves in the test they would forget and revert to panicking.

My pupils did not get marked for indicating before entering the roundabout.

However, one day I was following a car whose drivers job description/title at that time was "Chief Tester of Ireland". He did not indicate on approach, but waited until 9'o'clock position. Good enough for him, good enough for my pupils, so from then on I instructed my pupils to do the same. This sorted nicely the cancelling indicator problem.

My pupils did not get marked for waiting until 9'o'clock to indicate

Good enough for my ADI years ago, good enough for my ADI trainer, good enough for the "Chief Tester of Ireland" good enough for Mascot and his pupils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

they'd know that no signal means straight ahead.

Or that you forgot to indicate, or that your front indicators are broken, or that you dont bother indicating or any manner of other things.

Out of interest, whats the issue with signalling as you approach a roundabout where the first exit is at 12?
    I cant see a downside...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Irish School of Motoring youtube mock test . At ~24.30 he drives straight through a mini roundabout, 2nd exit 12 o clock, and states no indicator necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

You beat me to it willie. Although this is a different ISM video. This thread reminded me of it.

I would not indicate if I was taking the 2nd exit going straight ahead on a mini roundabout. If the 2nd exit was after 12 on the clock. I would indicate right. But not left when I exit the roundabout.

If you look at this Ism pretest video at 46:45. There is a section on mini roundabouts. The guy speaks about knocking of the steering when you indicate left coming off mini roundabouts. I have noticed this myself. So I no longer do it.

It's also a great video for anyone doing there test. I found it very helpful.
    Although I think it's a few years old and there not using the RSA "Golden Rule" as in the clock face.

http://youtu.be/vNJC5AO7s0k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Irish School of Motoring youtube mock test . At ~24.30 he drives straight through a mini roundabout, 2nd exit 12 o clock, and states no indicator necessary

Im not convinced and I havent even gotten to the mini roundabout, unless things have completely changed since I did my test.
    At 8.00 alone he drives over a solid white line of the hatched area? I cant see how they could promote doing that in a test? even if there are no cars approaching, he's in the other lane (slightly as he says)
    Straight after that a number of cars take possession of the junction with a green light, but without a filter light, I was taught one car can take possession of the junction, for the reason, if the lights change there isn't a que of vehicles then rushing to get through a red light, hence one vehicle at a time unless its obviously clear or of course if the filter is on.

Or what he says at 23.45, drop a gear to show you are reading the road??
    Id say, drop a gear if necessary, which might be necessary for reducing to an appropriate speed.

ISM, Im not convinced, not just as its only been a few days since I saw an ISM car with one person in it go all the way around a roundabout to the 3rd exit in the outside lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

I would not use them as the definitive guide.

In a car, on a mini-roundabout, if you have trouble with your steering and indicators, then very sinply you are going too fast. (unless an EXTREMELY mini mini roundabout AND you are driving a Rolls or similar).

The British Highway code much clearer
    Mini-roundabouts. Approach these in the same way as normal roundabouts. All vehicles MUST pass round the central markings except large vehicles which are physically incapable of doing so. Remember, there is less space to manoeuvre and less time to signal. Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts. Beware of others doing this.
    Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10(1) & 16(1)

In another training video at ISM Driving Guide - Roundabouts going straight ahead 2nd exit, at 2.27 he says "I'm in the right lane, so I must come off in the right lane" Which is nonsense.

This must be where the "You can not change lanes in a roundabout" originated"

Another minor point, he keeps using the expression "You have the right of way". Was taught that wording gives a bad impression. Much better to use "You have priority"

Whilst I'm here, they must be the ones who invented the idiotic MSMM routine.

PS. IMHO. A person who believes it is acceptable to drive into a junction at such a speed that they are unable to obey the road markings and who have so little control over their steering that they are unable to flick the indicator stalk should not be teaching those beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I'm not surprised there's confusion over this based on my experience...

So I'll share my experience from my test in Raheny recently enough (end of September).

From my test (zero marks at all, even grade one, for signalling or anything to do with roundabouts):

There was a whole string of mini-roundabouts, none of which had a left turn from my approach. Went straight through all of them except for the last, at which I turned right. I took my ADI's advice on signalling.

My ADI's advice on mini-roundabouts was:
    1. Indicate your direction on approach
    -Left: left indicator;
    -right: right indicator;
    -straight through: no indicator.
    2. They're too small to do the normal signalling on a bigger roundabout. If you're going right, don't flap about with signalling right, cancelling, signalling left. Just signal right. If you're spending that much time signalling in such a small area you're not spending enough time steering properly, or making sufficient progress, or observing what's around you, or a combination. The signal on the approach is sufficient to tell any other traffic what your intentions are. It's not like a bigger roundabout where you can be waiting for a gap to join in and haven't seen where the cars on the roundabout came from - it's clear as day where every vehicle on the junction came from.
    3. If you're unsure whether it's a large mini-roundabout or small full-sized roundabout look at the sign on the approach.

So in my test I followed his advice. I went straight through (without signalling) about three mini-roundabouts and then turned right on the fourth having signaled right on the approach and not faffed about with cancelling then signaling right. No marks to indicate that anything incorrect had occurred. Nothing whatsoever. Tester never mentioned it, never seemed unhappy, nada.

But I was a bit uncertain going into it because my instructor did warn me that recently some of the testers that were normally from Finglas (test was in Raheny but they seemed to be bringing in extra testers on a part time basis) want you to signal left on the approach if you're going straight through and there's no left turn available.

Personally, I think it's a little odd to signal on the approach that you're turning left if you're going straight ahead. Surely the point of the signal is to inform other traffic at the junction of where you intend to go. No indicator = straight ahead, clear as day. So I went with what made most sense to me and what I had been taught and was not marked down for it.

Sometimes I think people get so caught up in the detail of wording that they can't see the wood for the trees - if you're going straight ahead, don't signal left on the approach. You're not going left. :confused:

But, having said all of that, go with what your local ADI says. They have students in and out of test centres most days of the week. They know the local lay of the land (which, unfortunately, is as susceptible to local ideas as everything else in this country). They know what their students are picking up marks for and aren't picking up marks for.

As for why some people get marks for doing one thing when others don't get marks for doing the same thing..? Or for students doing different things and neither getting marked for it..? (Both of which seem to be happening) Who knows? If I was to hazard a guess I'd say it comes down to whether or not you make your intentions clear to other traffic in the vicinity, in the situation in which you find yourself, while also continuing to drive fluidly, maintain proper observation and read the road properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Sometimes I think people get so caught up in the detail of wording that they can't see the wood for the trees - if you're going straight ahead, don't signal left on the approach. You're not going left. :confused:
    But you ARE going left. The only way to exit a roundabout is by turning left. So if you're going "straight ahead" ie 12 o clock, you are still entering and then exiting the roundabout.
    ROTR say to treat a mini roundabout like you would any other. Signalling on mini roundabouts can be a little more difficult given that there is less time between exits. Thats why both methods described in this thread are acceptable in the test. However you must ask yourself which is the better practice?
    An indicator is used to warn and inform other road users. Incorrect signalling causes confusion. No signals cause confusion.
    If you approach a mini roundabout intending to travel straight ahead at the first exit and signal left on approach, you warn/inform, no grounds for confusion.
    Equally if you approach and enter roundabout and signal left at 9 o clock, again no grounds for confusion but other traffic has less notice of your intention.
    If you fail to signal at all nobody will know what you intend to do and may have to slow or stop to see where you are going.
    So, on balance, it is best to signal as early as possible and ALWAYS signal your exit from a roundabout.

I think this is just going to continue going around in circles, with no indication of when to get off.

• Advertisement

loobylou wrote: »
    But you ARE going left.

If you are point the same direction after the roundabout as before the roundabout you did not turn left ;)

You exited the roundabout, yes, and for THAT you indicate appropriately.

Signalling before the roundabout is to signal your intentions to other vehicles in the area as to where you're going. Signalling that you want to go left only to go straight through is misleading.

If I intend to be pointing to the right of the direction I am currently going (aka, turn right), I signal right in advance. If I intend to go straight, I do not put on an indicator in advance. If I intend to be pointing left of where I'm currently pointing, I signal left in advance.

You've someone on here saying that the chief tester in Ireland does not signal left when intending to go straight (as in, they made their intention to go straight perfectly clear by not using indicators, then signaled their exit when approaching the exit), yet people are still claiming that signalling left is correct to do in advance of the junction and that not signalling left in advance when you intend to go straight is misleading? Misleading is signalling one thing when you intend to do another. Signal left and go straight? Misleading.

Anyway, I think people here are firmly in their own camps so I don't see the point in arguing further because some people are impermeable. I'm happy to continue as I am because having done it multiple times in the test and the tester finding nothing wrong with my signalling, road position, steering, observation, ability to read the road at roundabouts (or anywhere, as it happens) and having that endorsed by an excellent instructor as well as reading on here that I'm in the same camp as the chief instructor, I'm happy enough that I'm not doing anything wrong.

For those who've yet to do their test and are reading this this is the best advice on the thread:

Do what your local ADI recommends. Ignore everything else here. If you want to pass your test, go with what your ADI says.

How do you exit a roundabout without turning left?

How do you exit a roundabout without turning left?

On a mini-roundabout as small as some of them are? By going straight or turning right.

On a mini-roundabout as small as some of them are? By going straight or turning right.

In a manner of speaking, you are turning left off the roundabout to go onto a departing lane,

I'm out of here :) no more for me.

Taking a left turn is not simply a matter of whether or not you turn the steering wheel.
    You turn left to join a roundabout and you turn left to exit it.

Taking a left turn is not simply a matter of whether or not you turn the steering wheel.
    You turn left to join a roundabout and you turn left to exit it.

Well then if you're turning left to join with the intention of exiting to your right on it then surely you must indicate left to join it, then signal right, then cancel, then signal left, right? :rolleyes: OF course not, you signal your intention.

Well then if you're turning left to join with the intention of exiting to your right on it then surely you must indicate left to join it, then signal right, then cancel, then signal left, right? :rolleyes: OF course not, you signal your intention.
    Of course that would be wrong. See my earlier post, incorrect signals cause confusion. No signals will also cause confusion.

Of course that would be wrong. See my earlier post, incorrect signals cause confusion. No signals will also cause confusion.

So let's say you're approaching and there are 4 exits, all nice and neatly dispersed evenly around the clockface. Are you saying that no signal would cause confusion? Because if I was approaching and saw a car approaching from the opposite direction that was not signalling, that means to me that they are going straight ahead.

Incorrect signalling causes confusion. Not signalling either direction in advance of joining the roundabout can be correct signalling. Anyway, I'm out of here. Two camps, firmly divided.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

you would indicate when you pass the last exit before your exit,

do not indicate 'left' until you have passed the exit before the one you intend to take

I don't think we're talking about the same thing.
    I'm simply saying you should always try and indicate before you exit a roundabout. I may be wrong but it appears to me that you think that thats not necessary if you are going "straight" through.
    Edit. This refers to Miss No Stars, not the post immediately above.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement