Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving from Carlow to Galway

Options
  • 12-01-2014 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Haven't driven to Galway before. Does anyone know how long it would take? I'm guessing about 2 and a half hours. Is that optimistic?

The route I'm planning is Carlow - Portlaois - Tullamore - M6 - Galway.

Is that the best way, or would the M7 - Limerick - Galway be better.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

The quickest way is actually Naas - Clane - Kilcock - M4 - M6.

It is at least 15 mins quicker than Portlaoise depending on traffic but you will get stung for an extra toll.

You should do it in about 2 hrs and 15 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Michael_Dare

Thanks. I'd never have thought to go back to Naas.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Portlaoise Tullamore is not a great road and can be hard to make time on it, but we usually go that way, as we know the roads well.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

Portlaoise-Tullamore-Athlone-Galway is by far the quickest. Going to Naas makes no sense.

• Advertisement

radharc wrote: »

It is at least 15 mins quicker than Portlaoise depending on traffic but you will get stung for an extra toll.

2hrs 15 min from Carlow??

Are you just thinking of Naas - Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

radharc wrote: »

Have gone every which way and this is definitely the quickest. There is a toll on this route.

Carlow2011 wrote: »
    Have gone every which way and this is definitely the quickest. There is a toll on this route.

Holy God that's amazing. I stand corrected. I'd say it would cost a bit more in fuel cos the distance is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

mountcisco wrote: »
    Holy God that's amazing. I stand corrected. I'd say it would cost a bit more in fuel cos the distance is more.

Even though you seem to be going in the wrong direction to start it is worth it to get on a motorway as soon as possible. Yes 2 hrs 15 mins but that is going hard enough (maybe 140 avg on deserted motorways).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Used to take me 2 and a half hours from Carlow to Loughrea going through Port Laois-Tullamore-Athlone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I do it occasionally (from Castledermot admittedly), and I go M9 to Naas -> Straffan -> Maynooth - M4.

Don't go Clane, Kilcock as it's mainly evening hitting Naas area and dont wan't to go through town or Monread Rd. or Sallins...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

gone a few times and either take
    Carlow, Portlaoise, Tullamore, Athlone, Galway
    Carlow, M9, Naas, Clane, Salins, M4, M6, Galway

have found that 2nd route is faster although somewhat longer and if you have little kids doesn't give you much options to pull over for toilet breaks or something to feed them without going a good bit of motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

tommycahir wrote: »
    gone a few times and either take
    Carlow, Portlaoise, Tullamore, Athlone, Galway
    Carlow, M9, Naas, Clane, Salins, M4, M6, Galway

have found that 2nd route is faster although somewhat longer and if you have little kids doesn't give you much options to pull over for toilet breaks or something to feed them without going a good bit of motorway.

There are motorway services near Enfield which I occasionally stop at. Very handy.
    Edit - the fact it has a BK is a big plus for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Carlow->Athy->Monasterevin->Portarlington->Tullamore is worth considering

Not a wonderful road either but still better than heading to Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Carlow->Athy->Monasterevin->Portarlington->Tullamore is worth considering

Not a wonderful road either but still better than heading to Portlaoise.

Went this way once and it took forever.

Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

I like to go Carlow ,Abbeyleix, Balacolla , Boris in Ossary Roscrea , Birr Portumna , Loughrea and you can join up with the motorway or go the old road into Galway . Lots of interesting little towns and I usually get someone else to drive and there are lots of places with restaurants or small hotels for a cup of tea or a bite to eat . I also go through Tullamore and I have come back all the way on the Motorway . Whats all this rushing for . I like tuning into all the local radio stations particularly at night because you get a sense of where you are .

Advertisement