Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there such a thing as a universal camping stove?

Options
  • 12-01-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭

by a mixture of moving on and bad purchases I now have 3 types of camping gas canisters and nothing to use them with,the canisters are a campingaz C206 a Jetpower 100 and some campinggaz tall bottle type but the only burner I have is a Campingaz Micro plus. are there any burners out there that are "flexible"? I never realised there were so many formats.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

I find stoves are a pain in the arse. I have a stove that uses c270 canisters which I can't find anywhere. I think they might be out of production. I'm going to see if I can get my bottle refilled and for winter I have a wood burning stove for heat and cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rochemedia

I doubt there is any stove that is universal for gas. I know there are some that will work with solid fuels or alcohol.
    For your interest, here are the burners for the gas types you listed.
    C206 - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Campingaz-Camping-206-S-Gas-Cooking-Stove-/400453742850?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item5d3ce73102
    Campinggaz tall bottle (CP250) - www.argos.ie code:340/7497
    Jetpower 100 - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vango-Compact-Gas-Stove-Weight-103g-/181234481263?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a326ab86f

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

An MSR burns petrol, diesel and white gas (Coleman fuel, it's a liquid (americans!))

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Cheers, I might pick up some of the other burners if I can find them cheap, might be useful if doing family camping. for my own camping though Im going to try out alcohol and a homemade one at that from a link I saw in the survival forum. Its easy to make and works fine and its compact.

http://vimeo.com/64726512

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

This type is better, use it regularly while fishing.

http://www.thesodacanstove.com/alcohol-stove/how-to-build.html

• Advertisement

roadsmart wrote: »
    This type is better, use it regularly while fishing.

http://www.thesodacanstove.com/alcohol-stove/how-to-build.html

cheers, ill give that a try, I don't mind experimenting with designs, I enjoyed making the other one and its not a bad little skill to have

Know what you mean, internet is great, innit? :D

Tried a couple of different designs, I settled on this one cos the "gas ring" design puts the fuel fumes under a bit of pressure, therefore more heat and lasts a bit longer (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

silverharp wrote: »
    Cheers, I might pick up some of the other burners if I can find them cheap, might be useful if doing family camping. for my own camping though Im going to try out alcohol and a homemade one at that from a link I saw in the survival forum. Its easy to make and works fine and its compact.

http://vimeo.com/64726512

That looks great, and only uses 1 can too :cool:

Brian wrote: »
    That looks great, and only uses 1 can too :cool:

one tip if you make it, use a can opener to take the top of the can off, their way was messy for no benefit

Why not switch to solid fuel such as Hexamine tablets.....
    Small and light.
    Gggggreat even in freezing weather.
    Use one to boil a cuppa and one to boil another batch of water for the dehydrated noodles or smash instant mash. great when mixed with tuna and corn and meal done and dusted in five minutes........

What more could a body ask for..........................:)

P.S. Just don't use in an enclosed area (e.g. inside the tent), the fumes are poisonous. Get yourself under a crag or tree if its raining...............................

• Advertisement

Where's a cheap source of alcohol for an open stove like the drinks can one?

Where's a cheap source of alcohol for an open stove like the drinks can one?

Go to a pharmacy rather than an outdoors store they are cheaper. Any pharmacy should stock small bottles of pure medical alcohol

Methylated spirits (the purple stuff). Woodies have it for €6 for a half litre, the dirty robbin bastids, but I get it in a price rite place on the North Rd for €1.99. Any ðecent old style hardware will stock it.
    Acetone is very good as well, if you can source it.

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    Go to a pharmacy rather than an outdoors store they are cheaper. Any pharmacy should stock small bottles of pure medical alcohol

I did, and got a bottle, but it was quite expensive I think - €5 for 200 mL :o at least it smells of wintergreen when it burns.

I did, and got a bottle, but it was quite expensive I think - €5 for 200 mL :o at least it smells of wintergreen when it burns.

I wasnt expecting it to be that expensive. I go gas myself find it ok for my requirements never tried liquid fuel stoves before.
    Roadsmarts post about woodies seems your best bet so.

roadsmart wrote: »

apparently some pharmacies do them much cheaper in ~3ltr bottles for like 15 euros, not sure about Dublin ones though never tried.

Afaik co-ops have it in 5 litres, probably way cheaper there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Must check the co-ops but in the mean time spotted this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barrenttine-h9116-Methylated-Spirit-2Lt/dp/B004LLKNMO/ 2l meths for £10.20 (UK pounds!) not sure if they will deliver to Ireland but worth a try.

Update> Checked with the pharmacist we use for prescriptions and they do 5 liters of Meths for €22 and is getting some in stock for me as the only one he had was an open one they use themselves. Its not an issue but he also said you needed to sign for it an indicate what you were using it for.

Must check the co-ops but in the mean time spotted this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barrenttine-h9116-Methylated-Spirit-2Lt/dp/B004LLKNMO/ 2l meths for £10.20 (UK pounds!) not sure if they will deliver to Ireland but worth a try.

Update> Checked with the pharmacist we use for prescriptions and they do 5 liters of Meths for €22 and is getting some in stock for me as the only one he had was an open one they use themselves. Its not an issue but he also said you needed to sign for it an indicate what you were using it for.

Wonder if he would take a signature and an indication it is for drinking...........:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

<snip>

The only petrol stoves that work properly use a fuel called Colman fuel or white gas .That fuel is really good burns very hot and clean no soot .However its only available in mainland Europe at lower prices .In Ireland due to the fact its so extremely flammable the hazardous materials cost to bring this fuel to Ireland means you can only buy it in camping shops for €20 a liter and that is in two 1/2 liter bottles at €10 each .If your going to mainland Europe the fuel is Essence C in France or white gas in other parts of Europe and costs less .However the USA its real cheap in hardware shops €6 for ~3.83 liters about 1 USA gallon.
    You cant buy flammable fuel by post when the can is bigger than 500cc or 1/2 liter . It costs often three times the normal prices to send flammable fuels by couriers service so cant see any Irish doing Colemans fuels stoves any time soon

<snip>

The most abundant bottle gas is the c206 type which is about 200 grams of gas .It costs from about €1 a can in some hardware shops for no name red bottle to up to €2.50 a can if you get camping gas blue color versions.
    If it is windy they are not so good . No wind they can cook faster than many alcohol type versions

<snip>

In places like Spain where larger families will camp together they often bring big bottles of gas large pans to make Pialla and large burning rings .That is super cheap as the gas bottle for ~€20 a refill of some ~15kg lasts often a few months .However UK and Irish gas bottles are different from Europe so refills of those in Europe often cant be done as many a sailing boat or motor home user can tell you .

<snip>

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

derry,

I have edited your post.

When posts are extremely long and contain a lot of off-topic material, it makes it difficult for people to find relevant information.

Please try to keep on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

An MSR burns petrol, diesel and white gas (Coleman fuel, it's a liquid (americans!))

I'll second this recommendation. I've done quite a bit of camping in countries and locations where there's no guarantee of a particular fuel being available, and I always carry an MSR stove and fuel bottle. They are a bit pricey, but they last forever, and parts for them are easily available. IF you get the "international" model, it comes with two different sized nozzles, for burning different fuels cleanly. So far I've burnt alcohol, meths, kerosene, petrol, diesel, even pain thinners at one stage in mine. Some fuels can be dirtier than others, but overall I've never had any problems with it.

Advertisement