Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clothes with Do Not Wash tags...

• 12-01-2014 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

I have a silk top and a polyester blazer that both have tags that say Do Not Wash them. I can't really afford to take them to the dry cleaners every time I wear them so do boardsies think I'd be okay either hand washing them or (if I'm being lazy) washing them in the machine on the hand wash setting?

Comments

bnagrrl wrote: »
    I have a silk top and a polyester blazer that both have tags that say Do Not Wash them. I can't really afford to take them to the dry cleaners every time I wear them so do boardsies think I'd be okay either hand washing them or (if I'm being lazy) washing them in the machine on the hand wash setting?

I would chance washing the top by hand, but it would depend on how detailed the blazer is. I would be reluctant to chance that. Having said that, I wash all other coats and jackets in machine on delicate wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I wouldn't wash the silk top, but airing out the top after each wear may mean only one visit a year to the dry cleaner, if you can wear a vest and deodorant with it all the better.

The polyester blazer is probably a balls to iron back into shape, hence, no washing. I would try handwashing and then hang it on a proper hanger balzer hanger with the shoulders parts tilting forward. It may take a few days to drip dry over the bath but should be 90% free of wrinkles, a light steam chile hanging could bring it back to life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Thanks for the advice :)

The top is sort of a sleeveless blousy thing... I think I will chance a delicate handwash and then lie it flat in the hot press.

The blazer has no details or embellishments. I will probably hand wash this too and stick it on a hanger.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭mcballer

I usually put my silk tops in a pillow case and into "hand wash" cycle in machine with delicates detergent. Too lazy/ busy to even hand wash these days....never had a problem. I felt the saving time factor was work risking the top when tried it out 1st time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

era, at this stage, I just fire everything into the machine - if it's dry-clean only, I just fire it in for a rinse and spin (it's not like we're out digging fields nowadays!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ref the silk top, juts try a little water on the inside seam allowance and see what it looks like 24 hrs later, some silk can watermark. I got caught once with a top I put and the line and it rained, top ruined!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Ref the silk top, juts try a little water on the inside seam allowance and see what it looks like 24 hrs later, some silk can watermark. I got caught once with a top I put and the line and it rained, top ruined!

Oh well done you for remembering that! I'd forgotten how badly silk can watermark.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

life's too short to be hand washing clothes (or ironing!) :)

I hate that dilemna with dry clean only items but you have to weigh up the cost of dry cleaning the item vs what you paid for it originally.

If I have something that was expensive and delicate that I wear very rarely then I would probably get it dry cleaned but if it's something like a silk top that I wear regularly and paid maybe 50 or 60 for I don't think I can justify the cost of dry cleaning it so it's worth the risk of destroying it :D

most newer washing machines have a handwash or delicates cycle I just pop them in on that and turn down the spin cycle and it usually works out fine. Try to use a gentle detergent that's made for silks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I handwash/machine wash regularly. Items like silk, wool and bras I would handwash for the sake of the delicate materials - machine washing them frequently makes them wear out quicker I find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭okiss

I would wash items with a do not wash tag.

I would use woolite or Tesco's own brand of hand wash for clothes.
    I would use hand hot water and then use the rinse cycle on your washing machine to rinse this.
    I would then use a clothes horse to dry this flat.

For silk tops do not use a biological washing powder or biological washing liquid.
    I ruined a silk top using biological washing powder once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

okiss wrote: »
    I would wash items with a do not wash tag.

I would use woolite or Tesco's own brand of hand wash for clothes.
    I would use hand hot water and then use the rinse cycle on your washing machine to rinse this.
    I would then use a clothes horse to dry this flat.

For silk tops do not use a biological washing powder or biological washing liquid.
    I ruined a silk top using biological washing powder once.

+1 for woolite - I have a few wool cardigans drip drying now and I always use woolite for them - I use Tesco's hand wash gel for bras and tights.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭fairyribbon

I made the mistake of hand washing a silk Blouse with detergant .it is now lost its sheen and there has been some Colour run.does anyone know If a dry cleaners can fix it back to its original shiny self or is it fit for the bin?

Advertisement