Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That would be excellent, is currently on loan at Benfica dunno if that would queer the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

We conceded the fifth-fewest goals in 2012/13, 43 in total, same as United.
    In 2011/12, joint third-fewest.
    In 2010/11, sixth fewest.
    In 2009/10, third fewest*

It seems to ebb and flow a bit but generally speaking our defence is about as good as can be expected. As pointed out earlier in the thread, best defence at home this season so far, though 16th (!) best away. Both of these figures have to be adjusted given the type of opposition we've played at home and away, and while we're conceding more, we're also scoring far more right now...

While we can tighten up to a certain extent at the back, there's not really any basis for saying that we've always been a shambles at the back: even through the wilderness of the last few seasons, we've generally been "therein or thereabouts" with the best defences in the league.

*One of the aspects of 09/10 reviews that always annoys me is that people say we fell apart defensively in that season, which I completely refuse to accept.

There are some simple enough remedies to our current defensive lapses - sticking with a centre-back pairing is important, and shaking up Glen by rotating him out of the team when circumstance allows us to. He has been making dangerous mistakes for too many games now and is wasteful in possession. I'd be interested in replacing him permanently at this stage and seeing him offloaded for as little as 6/7m. He is a strain on our wages, pulling about £5.2m a year, and just isn't worth it.

The 'stats' there are fair enough, if you hold a view that stats have a big importance. My own view is based on watching football only, if im comfortable watching the team defend. If people are watching this team as a group defend and are not feeling edgy then that is the acid test for me.

Its important to distinguish between form of the forwards covering up some really dodgy stuff at the back.

For me, the keeper isnt in good form, Johnson is the worst ive ever seen him, Skrtel plays every game (i dont rate him at all) etc.

Stats tend to hide things. Arsenal shipped 6 at City and we shipped 2, they have conceded 8 less than us, thats a swing of 12 goals over half a season. Its grand to say we concede similar amounts to others around us but is it not also fair to hold a view that we have have conceded 1 less than Hull and expect better?.

Thats all im saying really, plenty to improve on at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I think any game from here on in that involves Everton,Spurs or United, we're rooting for the opposition. They're the three rivals for fourth. Catching one of Chelsea, City or Arsenal would just be a bonus (all three would be a boner :pac:). Certainly rooting for Chelsea to beat United next weekend. As long as we keep winning games we can hold onto hope of competing for the title, but realistically we're gonna have another couple of slip ups this season. Every time Everton, Spurs or United drop points is gonna give us a cushion and gives us room for one more slip up than we could afford before. Obviously the fewer dropped points the better, but as long as we get fourth place I'll be delighted, I couldn't care how we do it.

I know it's been said about every game, but the next two really are huge. If we win these two games I'd expect there to be a healthy gap between us and the rest as United face Chelsea this week and Spurs face City next week. Obviously it's a huge assumption that we'll win the next two, but, if we did, I'd expect the table to look something like this at the end of January:

4 Liverpool 23 48
    5 Everton 23 44
    6 Spurs 23 44
    7 Utd 23 41

And thats being generous to the others, giving Everton a win at West Brom, Spurs a win at Swansea and a draw at home to City, and United a draw away to Chelsea.

It's certainly the biggest merseyside derby in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

People who complain about signing the likes of Alberto for 7m confuse me. Do they not believe in signing guys with potential? Questioning Aspas is one thing but Alberto is one signed for the future. Just like Ilori.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    People who complain about signing the likes of Alberto for 7m confuse me. Do they not believe in signing guys with potential? Questioning Aspas is one thing but Alberto is one signed for the future. Just like Ilori.

Plus £7m is not that much these days. I agree the point seems to be harped on a bit about Alberto, I presume people must think that paying £7m there might have stopped us putting that money towards a more established player, I don't think we're that skint tbh, surely we can afford to buy some potential, utd paid 10 rising to 15 million for Zaha and he hasn't got a sniff either.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Siqueira in return?

What ever happened with him and Madrid??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Agueroooo wrote: »
    What ever happened with him and Madrid??

He is at Benfica now isn`t he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

76bww7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

In defence of yesterday we had our 3rd choice lb, 3rd and 4th choice cbs (yes I'm saying sakho and agger are 1&2) and a rb so out of form it begs belief. I would like to see sakho come in as well as kelly next week, maybe even flanno too if he's fit? Still a disastrous defensive performance but not a true representation of us.

Anyways, on gerrard i can see where rodgers is coming from, his long range shooting is gone and imo coutinho in the 10 position is a better intricate passer which is of more use to suarez and sturridges movement, sturridge in particular. Gerrard deeper can still do his long passing and his tackling seems pretty good.
    However if hes going to play lucas ahead of him more its a disaster waiting to happen and i dont believe he will as allen or hendo will replace lucas to the bench. Cant say im a fan of what is going on, would rather we sign an improved dm (mvilla,fernando) and have gerrard beside him instead. Its an experiment and i cant see it being very successful, hopefully im wrong though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

76bww7.jpg

Pity we are still only 2 points ahead of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

billy2012 wrote: »
    Think he suited quiet well, his tackling is grand,

A dozen pages on gerrard
    Never mind our central defense all over the place
    Never mind our keeper who is looking more shaky by the week
    Never mind our two massive problems with full backs
    Never mind the fact Lucas and hendo were like headless chickens
    Just criticise our captain who was one of our better players yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

A dozen pages on gerrard

Mignolets attempted save for Walters goal was utterly shocking. Still happy enough with him but that's a couple of soft ones now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

These 3 go hand in hand to be fair.

Sakho and agger are our 2 best centre backs yet haven't started a game together at centre back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

A dozen pages on gerrard

Would the defence be better if they had a better suited midfielder in front of them?
    Would the keeper be better if the defence was better?
    Would hendo and lucas be more balanced if they were playing with Allen?

Does our captain suit the position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

5starpool wrote: »

That sort of goal difference counts as another point against them though, they are never going to catch us on goal difference.

Would the defence be better if they had a better suited midfielder in front of them?
    Would the keeper be better if the defence was better?
    Would hendo and lucas be more balanced if they were playing with Allen?

Does our captain suit the position?

Well Lucas has proved so far this season he gives the back four little or no protection so why not try Stevie there

Messi wearing a red suit is obviously a come and get me message to liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Well Lucas has proved so far this season he gives the back four little or no protection so why not try Stevie there

First game in and 3 goals conceded, not a good start.

A dozen pages on gerrard

But we all know about the rest of the problems! Gerrard is the elephant in the room, that's why he is today's topic of discussion.

Gregg Bakowski on the Guardian podcast is of the view I have so I now know I'm right ;)

I think the way we set up whatever DM we use will look pretty fcuked.

We are setup to attack. When it works it's great but against better team it will fail more often than not.

V Stoke we were attacking and committing 6/7 players forward at times. Great to watch when things are going right but the defense is horribly exposed when the attack breaks down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Why don't we just take Old Yeller out back and be done with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I dont think either Lucas or Gerrard are the future in DM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Whatever about Gerrard,Glen Johnson is making me physically fucking sick at the moment.

If he's not carrying an injury of some sort then he's a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Villa suppsosedly really poor tonight, have a feeling were really gonna punish them 7-6 or 6-5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Villa suppsosedly really poor tonight, have a feeling were really gonna punish them 7-6 or 6-5.

They are better away from home but really you would expect to beat them. Suarez and Sturridge should by right make mincemeat of their defence. Just have to watch out for the counter attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

It'll be a 10-9 cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Been better in the 2nd Half, but Arsenal did remove their Feet off the Pedal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

It'll be 12-10 now villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't like that Benteke scored. Last thing we want is him feeling a bit more confident coming into a fixture he was terrific in last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hopefully Nathan Baker recovers from his injury. He's so shaky he looks like he could be a Liverpool defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

SAS-celebrate-vs-Stoke.gif
    Rivalry, what rivalry?

I don't think anyone should be lying awake at night worrying about a side as listless as Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

mike65 wrote: »
    But we all know about the rest of the problems! Gerrard is the elephant in the room, that's why he is today's topic of discussion.

Gregg Bakowski on the Guardian podcast is of the view I have so I now know I'm right ;)

What would a failed Canadian tennis player know about football?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

mav79 wrote: »
    Rivalry, what rivalry?

There really buzzing off each other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I don't think anyone should be lying awake at night worrying about a side as listless as Villa.
    Yeah nice one Mike il be awake all night now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

There it is...it's official....jinxed. Cheers Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

It'll be a 10-9 cracker

Don't say that lol googled eyes

I don't think i can take another game like Stoke yesterday :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Grant holt hattrick and a brace from benteke.
    Unjinx!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Stargate wrote: »
    Don't say that lol googled eyes

I don't think i can take another game like Stoke yesterday :eek:

I know, I know . I'd gladly take a boring 1-0 after yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

From last game week (New Years)
    1. Arsenal: +4
    2. Chelsea: +3
    3. City: +2.5
    4. Liverpool: -0.5
    5. Spurs: -2.5
    6. Everton: -3
    7. United: -6

Updated:

1. Arsenal: +5
    2. Chelsea: +4
    3. City: +3.5
    4. Liverpool: +0.5
    5. Spurs: -2
    6. Everton: -2.5
    7. United: -5.5

Could be wrong, but I think that's the first time all 7 teams have won in a single gameweek this season.

So a good week for all teams though perhaps better for the top 4 rather than the bottom 3, considering the away disadvantage.

We're doing really well, slightly over the target - but as predicted it's looking like there could be no room for error in terms of reaching a high points target for CL qualification.

One thing that's nice is that we're 6 ahead of United here rather than 5 in the real table, so hopefully we make our slightly easier fixtures ahead count in the real table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

2012/13, no team conceded fewer than 30 (lowest was City on 34)
    2011/12, one team conceded fewer than 30 (City again on 29, just about!)
    2010/11, no team conceded fewer than 30 (Chelsea and City lowest on 33)
    2009/10, one team conceded fewer than 30 (United on 28)
    2008/09, three teams conceded fewer than 30 (ourselves on 27, United and Chelsea on 24!)
    2007/08, three teams conceded fewer than 30 (ourselves again on 28, Chelsea on 26 and United on the ridiculous 22, with Arsenal just outside on 31)
    2006/07, three teams again conceded fewer than 30 (ourselves, United and Chelsea)

I just found it interesting that of the title winning/chasing sides, an absolute bedrock of solid defensive principles seemed to come first, whereas it's less so the case in the last four seasons and, including the almost-certainty of this season, the last five.

An interesting exercise might be to look how EPL teams performed in the CL for each of those seasons...

Some people think that the league is really tight and is ultra competitive this season.

My view is that it is probably at it's lowest quality for 10 years and I am basing that on how poor the top teams are defensively and at controlling games - just isn't there anymore.

Some will dismiss my view but I am guessing there is going to be a fairly close alignment between your stats and the EPL teams slide down the CL rankings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

5starpool wrote: »

That and United's points tally scare the bejaysus out of me.

I am delighted with how we are doing but the defence has me terrified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Don't know if its been posted before so apologizes if it has .
    But i thought for those of you who have not seen it i would post it here .;)

Luis Suarez as you have never seen him . Just sheer class

Funny Luiscitto . Really enjoyed that .:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

mav79 wrote: »
    Rivalry, what rivalry?

Was there supposed to be a rivalry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Morzadec wrote: »
    From last game week (New Years)

Updated:

1. Arsenal: +5
    2. Chelsea: +4
    3. City: +3.5
    4. Liverpool: +0.5
    5. Spurs: -2
    6. Everton: -2.5
    7. United: -5.5

Could be wrong, but I think that's the first time all 7 teams have won in a single gameweek this season.

So a good week for all teams though perhaps better for the top 4 rather than the bottom 3, considering the away disadvantage.

We're doing really well, slightly over the target - but as predicted it's looking like there could be no room for error in terms of reaching a high points target for CL qualification.

One thing that's nice is that we're 6 ahead of United here rather than 5 in the real table, so hopefully we make our slightly easier fixtures ahead count in the real table.

Probably one weakness of your table is it doesn't take into account a win like Stoke away, seems a normal bottom of the half team but City, Everton and Chelsea dropped points there.

It'll balance itself out over the season obviously, but I don't know if it differentiates much for difficulty now, we've a pretty decent run in of away games for example. Stoke and Villa Away would be treated the same in your table if I'm reading it correctly.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

An interesting exercise might be to look how EPL teams performed in the CL for each of those seasons...

Some people think that the league is really tight and is ultra competitive this season.

My view is that it is probably at it's lowest quality for 10 years and I am basing that on how poor the top teams are defensively and at controlling games - just isn't there anymore.

Some will dismiss my view but I am guessing there is going to be a fairly close alignment between your stats and the EPL teams slide down the CL rankings.
    I think it's a sign of the EPL teams having to change somewhat. While they dominated the knockout stages for a few years, after that the step-up in quality from Spain (and Germany since) meant the old ways didn't work and now they're having to try something else.

Whatever about Gerrard,Glen Johnson is making me physically fucking sick at the moment.

If he's not carrying an injury of some sort then he's a disgrace.

I've defended him a lot in the past but he has been terrible this season, really really terrible. He neither attacks or defends any more, yet Enrique who is solid enough gets unfairly slated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rewatching the highlights there, and to be fair to Gerrard he slipped when Henderson passed him the ball and it was a poor pass from Henderson too.

rob316 wrote: »
    Rewatching the highlights there, and to be fair to Gerrard he slipped when Henderson passed him the ball and it was a poor pass from Henderson too.

Yeah you're right. I'd meant to correct myself on that earlier.

Henderson was at fault for Adams goal.

Terrible pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I've defended him a lot in the past but he has been terrible this season, really really terrible. He neither attacks or defends any more, yet Enrique who is solid enough gets unfairly slated.

I can't believe how far his performances have fallen either. It's seriously mind boggling.

I slated Enrique because he took unnecessary risks and was a bit headless at times too with little end product but he did have good games which would give you hope that he might become more consistent and improve.

Also, when Johnson was good he made Enrique look poor. I'd imagine if Enrique was fit and playing he'd currently look very very good in comparison.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement