Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fluke/covexien

• 12-01-2014 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi I was just wondering is it safe to dose sheep for fluke and inject them with covexien at the same time I am due to start lambing the last week of feb,and am going injecting next week with covexien, and while handling them to inject a was going giving them a oral for fluke? also what fluke dose do ye recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

Shouldn't be problem do it every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Cran wrote: »
    Shouldn't be problem do it every year

I'd keep away from trodax IMO, had ewe lambs abort by mixing doses the same day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

razor8 wrote: »
    I'd keep away from trodax IMO, had ewe lambs abort by mixing doses the same day

I have a bottle of it here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It should be fine dosing for fluke and vaccinating on the same day. There shouldn't be any drug interactions as the vaccine is just attenuated bacteria and not a chemical that would interact with the fluke dose.
    We have often done both together and I think it's less stressful for the ewes to getaall done on the same handling than being done 2 different days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

With care no problems be gentle make sure the fluke dose covers all 3 stages of fluke and correct dose to sheep weight

• Advertisement

Gave a pen of ewe lambs trodax, heptavac and bimectin last year and half of them dropped the lambs within 5 days. The vet said it gave them a temperature which led to them aborting. I'd be very careful, I sure as hell won't be doing it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

razor8 wrote: »
    Gave a pen of ewe lambs trodax, heptavac and bimectin last year and half of them dropped the lambs within 5 days. The vet said it gave them a temperature which led to them aborting. I'd be very careful, I sure as hell won't be doing it again

Did vet give any idea what combination caused it?

Trodax is hard on them but a vaccine combination hardly caused it. By coincidence vet nurse told me Saturday she wouldn't advise a worm dose with Trodax dose same day and that was for dry ewe lambs.

a system overload was how he described it. They looked sick about 24hrs later and off food etc.. I'm told alot of people keep away from trodax for pregnant ewes. theres no science to back it up but the vet said he heard other reports of sheep aborting after using it.

They weren't in need of a dose as they were in good order (was done as a rountine) i would be near certain the combination caused it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

never had any issues giving trodax to pregnant ewes,

dosed before Xmas and lambing down for the last week,

Advertisement