Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Content insurance while renting

Options
  • 12-01-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm renting an apartment with my girlfriend in a fairly safe gated development. We have some valuables (fairly standard..laptops, tv, camera etc.) and i'm looking for advice on content insurance.

Is gadget insurance a good option or is content insurance better? feel free to recommend a company..

What should I expect to pay?

any advice appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Why would you not get contents insurance?????? I just don't understand the logic. :eek:

What you pay will be determined by how much you insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gadget insurance will only cover specific named items, of a very specific type, at a premium per item that will begin to add up quite quickly. It is absolutely and utterly not a replacement for contents insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Paulw wrote: »
    Why would you not get contents insurance?????? I just don't understand the logic. :eek:

Depends on how valuable your contents are. I know if I was renting and all the furniture and appliances were the landlords I probably wouldn't get contents insurance.

Would have to go over about 2-3K before I'd get it insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Eldarion wrote: »
    Depends on how valuable your contents are. I know if I was renting and all the furniture and appliances were the landlords I probably wouldn't get contents insurance.

To replace everything you own is a hefty price.
    Consider everything is destroyed in a fire you have gadgets, books, games, clothes, shoes, jewellery, bedding, bathroom textiles.

The insurance isn't just to cover your laptop and telly, it's all your contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

get contents insurance now...I cannot understand ANY tenant not having it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Eldarion wrote: »

Clothes, CD's DVD's before you even go into any electronics you own will mean contents insurance should be a must.

People seem to think that insuring only against theft is what is needed. Trust me if you were unfortunate to have a fire gut your rented accommodation you would find you have a serious amount of personal possessions form a value perspective.

Having contents insurance is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I pay €130 a year to RSA for contents insurance, and it covers pretty much everything I own, both inside the home and outside. I had to name certain items (phone and bike specifically), but everything else is covered up to a value of I think €1000 for a single item and €25000 in total, and all items are covered for both theft and accidental breakage. Its an absolute no brainer; there is no logic to anyone not having contents insurance when it covers so much for such a low price (to put it in context, it could cost me nearly four times what I pay for the insurance to replace my phone out of my own pocket).

Just make sure to check the policy fully before buying. Liberty for example were giving me a better price, but nothing was covered outside of the home, which is pretty much next to useless as far as Im concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

djimi wrote: »
    I pay €130 a year to RSA for contents insurance, and it covers pretty much everything I own, both inside the home and outside. I had to name certain items (phone and bike specifically), but everything else is covered up to a value of I think €1000 for a single item and €25000 in total, and all items are covered for both theft and accidental breakage. Its an absolute no brainer; there is no logic to anyone not having contents insurance when it covers so much for such a low price (to put it in context, it could cost me nearly four times what I pay for the insurance to replace my phone out of my own pocket).

Just make sure to check the policy fully before buying. Liberty for example were giving me a better price, but nothing was covered outside of the home, which is pretty much next to useless as far as Im concerned.

This is very informative, i'd like to get similar...i'll call RSA... thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

For RSA I think you might need to go through a broker. I used Cornmarket in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

perfect, the two of us already have car insurance through cornmarket/rsa...might get a deal...

• Advertisement
Advertisement