Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my windows 7 genuine

• 12-01-2014 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi. I bought a laptop off adverts two days ago. Advertised with windows 7. There is a windows loader folder on the home screen . I googled this and it says it is a way of put a fake windows 7 onto a laptop. However, when I check in control panel /system, it has the windows stamp and says it is activated and genuine.
    Any thoughts?
    If I try to validate online and Microsoft say it is not legal, what then ?

Comments

Run MGADiag on it and check the Product ID type. If it is "2 - OEM SLP" and it's not a manufacturer branded installation then it's possibly a dodgy copy.

[noparse]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012‎[/noparse] (not parsing properly so copy and paste into the browser)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

Chances are that it's not genuine Windows. Doesn't matter either way really.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Moggaman

I texted guy I bought from 'is this genuine windows 7' and he replied ' it is . Cd key for windows 7 is on the bottom side'...
    ????

Moggaman wrote: »
    I texted guy I bought from 'is this genuine windows 7' and he replied ' it is . Cd key for windows 7 is on the bottom side'...
    ????

If he's telling the truth then check the bottom of your laptop for a sticker with something like "Windows 7 Home Premium OA" on it. It should then have a 25 character product key formatted like XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX. It might also be inside the battery compartment.

Karsini wrote: »
    If he's telling the truth then check the bottom of your laptop for a sticker with something like "Windows 7 Home Premium OA" on it. It should then have a 25 character product key formatted like XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX. It might also be inside the battery compartment.

Thanks karsini. It there on the bottom alright.. Product key etc but I don't understand why that windows loader folder appeared

• Advertisement

At the end of the day it doesn't matter. If anything appears that says windows is not genuine, you can always do a fresh install and use the product key on the bottom of the laptop.

B_Rabbit wrote: »
    At the end of the day it doesn't matter. If anything appears that says windows is not genuine, you can always do a fresh install and use the product key on the bottom of the laptop.

Forgive my ignorance but you mean a fresh install as in buy a new/genuine windows disc and install it... No disc came with the machine ....

You would download the original ISO file (completely legal) and burn it to a disk, from which you could install a fresh copy onto the laptop.

Forgive my ignorance but you mean a fresh install as in buy a new/genuine windows disc and install it... No disc came with the machine ....

Download the matching disc from here and burn it. Simple as. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What may have happened is a reset to factory install , because anyone selling a computer should wipe it first

Not shipping media isn't new. Back in the days of windows 95 some companies were just shipping a set of labels, you had to buy your own disks and run a disk image program.

• Advertisement

What may have happened is a reset to factory install , because anyone selling a computer should wipe it first

Not shipping media isn't new. Back in the days of windows 95 some companies were just shipping a set of labels, you had to buy your own disks and run a disk image program.

Haha yeah! Now you say it, I think I have one of those label sets at home somewhere. Something like 28 labels! :eek:

So I went through the validation pages online and got the attached screen which I presume means it's good???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

So I went through the validation pages online and got the attached screen which I presume means it's good???

Not necessarily. Does the version you have installed match the product key underneath (i.e: is Pro or Ultimate installed while you have a Home Premium product key)

Nick

Thanks all. I have one final question about laptops...
    If it says in system settings that there is a certain processor in the machine , does that mean it's there as in if there was an i5 on the sticker and someone replaced it with an i3 would i3 come up automatically in system settings...
    Just wondering because when you but 2nd hand you are buying the processor really...same question goes for memory ?
    Thanks

On most laptops you're not able to replace the processor. It'll be whatever one comes up on system properties.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thanks all. I have one final question about laptops...
    If it says in system settings that there is a certain processor in the machine , does that mean it's there as in if there was an i5 on the sticker and someone replaced it with an i3 would i3 come up automatically in system settings...
    Just wondering because when you but 2nd hand you are buying the processor really...same question goes for memory ?
    Thanks
    Ask on the laptop forum

check in the BIOS/setup when the machine is booting

generally device manager will report the correct processor

get cpuz it will tell you what exactly you have ,CPU and RAM, it might even say socket

Advertisement