Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlander [Starz]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Don't get me wrong, I also think the flow is good, I'm just commenting on differences between the book and the show. In the book the collecting of the rents didn't take up all that much so I was surprised to see them dedicate a whole episode to it.

Yep, it's another "I'm not telling" but it's much better than her just meeting Captain Jack Randall. :D

I'd say 90 - 95% of episode 6 was different to the book. The only parts that happened at that part of the story was Colum taking Claire to the spring and then proposing the marriage between her and Jamie. The story of Randall whipping Jamie does happen in the book, but at a different point IIRC. However I like where & how it was handed in the show as it shows what fate would await for Claire if she was handed over to Cpt Randall and that really she has no choice but to marry Jamie. So, finally next week we see them getting married :D

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

mel.b wrote: »
    I'd say 90 - 95% of episode 6 was different to the book. The only parts that happened at that part of the story was Colum taking Claire to the spring and then proposing the marriage between her and Jamie. The story of Randall whipping Jamie does happen in the book, but at a different point IIRC. However I like where & how it was handed in the show as it shows what fate would await for Claire if she was handed over to Cpt Randall and that really she has no choice but to marry Jamie. So, finally next week we see them getting married :D

thanks for the info between the books & the show :)

wow ! episode 6 really well written and acted

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

Seems RTE 2 have picked it up, starting next month sometime?

I'm in the middle of rereading all the books from the start, have to say I thought the TV adaptation would be disappointing but I love it so far.

• Advertisement

cuilteanna wrote: »
    Seems RTE 2 have picked it up, starting next month sometime?

I'm in the middle of rereading all the books from the start, have to say I thought the TV adaptation would be disappointing but I love it so far.

I'm happy to hear RTE have picked this up - I've been talking about it my friends at work.

Nice to have another fan of the books here:) What do you think of the casting choice for Claire & Jamie, compared to your impressions of them when you read the book. Jamie become familiar very quickly and I think a perfect casting choice, but Claire is still not really how I imagined her. Don't get me wrong, the actress is doing a good job, it's just not how I pictured her. Maybe it's her monologues her something - there doesn't seem to be a lot of emotion or something in them.

I'm happy to hear RTE have picked this up - I've been talking about it my friends at work.

Nice to have another fan of the books here:) What do you think of the casting choice for Claire & Jamie, compared to your impressions of them when you read the book. Jamie become familiar very quickly and I think a perfect casting choice, but Claire is still not really how I imagined her. Don't get me wrong, the actress is doing a good job, it's just not how I pictured her. Maybe it's her monologues her something - there doesn't seem to be a lot of emotion or something in them.

I was delighted to see it as well - I'll probably be in the US for at least another week (looking after a sick family member) so at least I should see the first eight episodes here anyway but it's good to know we will get the second half next year.

I picked up a secondhand copy of Cross Stitch back in 96-97 and was hooked. I think Drums had been released somewhere around that time so I raced through those first four books. It's been really interesting to see how much I missed / had forgotten! I have read all but the latest as they were released and am only now seeing the connections between characters in the older books and the newer ones. I bought the Kindle editions last month which has kept me entertained when I'm "off duty" - all the print editions have been up in the loft for years which I guess is why I hadn't reread before now.

The more I watch it the more perfect I think Jamie is. I really didn't expect it, but they got him exactly right. I agree with you about Claire, but it's hard to pinpoint exactly what I think is wrong. She is a good actress but - I don't know - just different from how I'd envisioned Claire. She's really the only one I wasn't impressed with straight away, it could just be me since the rest of the casting is near perfect so far.

Anyway after watching True Blood barely stick to any of the books I didn't expect much from Outlander so I've really been blown away by it.

Nearly done Dragonfly now!

ETA: The Wedding was pretty good, a few changes from the book but a lot of the best bits were included. Sad there's only one episode left this year.

I was delighted to see it as well - I'll probably be in the US for at least another week (looking after a sick family member) so at least I should see the first eight episodes here anyway but it's good to know we will get the second half next year.

I picked up a secondhand copy of Cross Stitch back in 96-97 and was hooked. I think Drums had been released somewhere around that time so I raced through those first four books. It's been really interesting to see how much I missed / had forgotten! I have read all but the latest as they were released and am only now seeing the connections between characters in the older books and the newer ones. I bought the Kindle editions last month which has kept me entertained when I'm "off duty" - all the print editions have been up in the loft for years which I guess is why I hadn't reread before now.

The more I watch it the more perfect I think Jamie is. I really didn't expect it, but they got him exactly right. I agree with you about Claire, but it's hard to pinpoint exactly what I think is wrong. She is a good actress but - I don't know - just different from how I'd envisioned Claire. She's really the only one I wasn't impressed with straight away, it could just be me since the rest of the casting is near perfect so far.

Anyway after watching True Blood barely stick to any of the books I didn't expect much from Outlander so I've really been blown away by it.

Nearly done Dragonfly now!

ETA: The Wedding was pretty good, a few changes from the book but a lot of the best bits were included. Sad there's only one episode left this year.

What - I didn't realise there was only one more episode this year :( There's a lot to cover still then for the second half.

I enjoyed the wedding episode as well - at first I was really annoyed as I thought that the first scene of the episode was all that they were going to show, but I like the way it was done with the little flashbacks and Jamie filling in parts about the dress etc.

However the flashbacks in this episode to Frank just aren't needed. They add nothing to the story - of course we know he's going to be missing and looking for his wife. Just get on with Claire and Jamie's story instead.

Anybody know what date this will be on rte2?

What - I didn't realise there was only one more episode this year :( There's a lot to cover still then for the second half.

I enjoyed the wedding episode as well - at first I was really annoyed as I thought that the first scene of the episode was all that they were going to show, but I like the way it was done with the little flashbacks and Jamie filling in parts about the dress etc.

However the flashbacks in this episode to Frank just aren't needed. They add nothing to the story - of course we know he's going to be missing and looking for his wife. Just get on with Claire and Jamie's story instead.

Season 1 / Part two is over six months away - April 4th on Starz. I wish they had aired all sixteen episodes at once instead of breaking it up, or maybe called it Season 2 then it wouldn't seem so bad.

Totally agree that the scenes of Frank were unnecessary, I wondered if it's because of having read the books I felt that way. I did think the bit where they were both at the stones in different eras was going to be the end of this episode.

Anyway I've saved all eight episodes to my iPad for the trip home this week and downloaded Drums and Fiery Cross since I'm nearly finished Voyager now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

6 months + before the ninth episode????? Aaaaarrgh!!!, just when I was getting into this.
    I find the December to February hiatus that many US shows take almost unbearable, and that's only 2 months or so.
    Why do they give just enough to get you addicted to a show and then pull this. Was the same earlier in the year with Black Sails.

6mths is crazy. Is it because they haven'tfinished shooting, want to build up viewers or what?

Supposedly they wrapped up shooting last week. I don't think post-production takes six months!

It really makes me wonder if Season 2 will even begin to air in 2015.

According to Diana Gabaldon's facebook page it will start October 21st at 11pm on RTE2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

According to Diana Gabaldon's facebook page it will start October 21st at 11pm on RTE2.

Cheers. I just saw a glimpse of the promo but the remote is in the hands of a mad woman who just keeps flicking through channels :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭larrlin24

Airing tomorrow at 11pm on RTE2. Very excited (even though I've watched all the episodes already) :D

I recorded this on sky but it cut off just when she was tending to his bullet wound! Why cant RTE show things on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭frenchmartini

Same thing happened to me Zorro. I watched on the player instead.
    I loved it. Very close to the books and the casting of Jamie is superb. I actually like the Clare actress, she came across a bit 'stiff upper lip brit' in the books and you can see that in her portrayal.
    The clansmen are great too, love the way they speak in dialect.Soundtrack amazing.
    So, all in, loving it.

Yes I thought it was superb! Caught the bit I missed on the RTE Player. Are the books a bit 'chick lit'. Tobias Menzies is good in this as well,he was in Rome and Eternal Law!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

It's obvious Starz have put a lot of money into this production. The location, sets, music and cinematography are all excellent. That scene with the druids dancing at the stones with the lanterns was gorgeous. Very good pilot episode.

• Advertisement

Yes I agree... That Druidic scene gave me goosebumps.
    Are the books chit lit? Hmmmm.... Maybe, but they are well written and packed with detail and atmosphere, great historical references (which I love) with strong characterisation, so don't let "chic lit" put you off.
    The show really is the book brought to life, especially those opening scenes with Jamie Fraser :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I wouldn't call the books chick lit.

The main pov is female - does that automatically make a book chick lit?

Episode 2 tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone else have trouble understanding some of the dialect but it don't matter too much as "bonnie" Jamie is gorgeous :p

What... Bonny Jamie Fraser talks? Can't say I noticed... Hehe...
    He is a fine fine man indeed and I like the dialect, at least they didn't dumb it down for US audiences.
    Still loving it. Quality.

I'm loving this,think we are on a mid series break after tonights episode (RTE2 Pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

yeah, will be a long break tho not back til April 2015

Bloody mid series breaks! :mad:

Back on RTE2 on April 7th at 11.20pm after the mid season break! :)

• Advertisement

Yay.......

Advertisement