Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re: electrician's quote

Options
  • 12-01-2014 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone can help me out regarding a quote I received for electrical works. The work involves:
    Rewire of house - 4 bed, 2 bathroom, utility room, kitchen and living room
    50 points total. Walls require chasing.
    Wiring for new heating controls
    Wiring for standard alarm & outside lights (3 in total)
    Basically a standard rewire/upgrade of a house built mid 1970's

The quote received including chasing & VAT is 3.5k labour only.
    I have asked a few people what they thought and the replies have been mixed, some say it's about right, others say it's a boom time price for a new build rather than a 2014 price for a rewire.
    Any help appreciated.

Edit - this also includes testing & certification as per our mortgage requirements

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Helpmefarm

1000 too dear! I'm a electrician!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Yep about 1k too dear,where abouts are you?

Sorry just checked your other threads I know of a contractor up that side it might be too small a job for him but I'll drop him a line tomorrow to see if he might be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Property is in Mayo. Thanks for replies

Just edited my post there

Is it a bungalow just out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Helpmefarm wrote: »
    Is it a bungalow just out of interest?
    Yip. Built myself 2 years ago in mayo and had 2.5 k difference in quotes. I'm an electronics person so knew when it was a bit OTT

Think I may set up in mayo!

Yes it is a bungalow. Ceilings are taken down so would make job easier?

Yeah much easier! 3800 plus vat for materials and all! Don't do labour only!

tweek84 wrote: »
    Yep about 1k too dear,where abouts are you?

Sorry just checked your other threads I know of a contractor up that side it might be too small a job for him but I'll drop him a line tomorrow to see if he might be interested

Thanks tweek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Ya thats too much, he is still living in 2007.

Its a rewire, so the walls would already be chased, so feeding wires back down the existing conduit makes life much easier for him. And no offence to electricians, but the job isn't not rocket science.

Helpmefarm wrote: »
    Yeah much easier! 3800 plus vat for materials and all! Don't do labour only!

Quote for labour plus materials was 6k...

*not

Materials 1800 plus vat maximum and that not cheap crap! Get another electrician, like what if ya wanted few extras during build! He surely rob u!

bunderoon wrote: »
    Ya thats too much, he is still living in 2007.

Its a rewire, so the walls would already be chased, so feeding wires back down the existing conduit makes life much easier for him. And no offence to electricians, but the job isn't not rocket science.

If only it was always that simple existing conduits can be very interesting

Fair point tweet but with ceilings down wire all first and just cut all awkward conduits at end along with few new ones!

It is rocket science to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

tweek84 wrote: »
    If only it was always that simple existing conduits can be very interesting

bunderoon can fish all the new cables down the old conduits wah!

piece of cake!

Capability vrs indolence tomdempsey200.
    Pretty much sums up the Irish 'situation'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Doing a rewire at the moment,17 conduit drops,we were able to use 2 of them. Old conduits smaller than these days and no earths down them in the 70's either. Old cables pulled out had PVC stripped back to make them fit.

• Advertisement

superg wrote: »
    Doing a rewire at the moment,17 conduit drops,we were able to use 2 of them. Old conduits smaller than these days and no earths down them in the 70's either. Old cables pulled out had PVC stripped back to make them fit.

good for nothing mostly

all these experts that don't know the wiring rules or electrical installation work chime in about reusing conduits

even if the wires fit ..the old switch points are too high and the old socket points are too low

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah the chase was done from old switch position to the new height but we had to get the lad back to redo them from new switch position to ceiling.All the sockets were on the skirting boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I worked with another contractor on a rewire in a house today, we made a quick attempt to try and reuse existing conduits but didn't entertain that idea for long so the twin cutters came out, plasterer had told us he didn't mind making good any chases, when you have good blades on the chaser and a good hoover chasing is no no big deal, everything is right then i.e heights of sockets and switches complying with regs and having a 35mm steel backing box is a must now too in my opinion.

WikiHow wrote: »
    I worked with another contractor on a rewire in a house today, we made a quick attempt to try and reuse existing conduits but didn't entertain that idea for long so the twin cutters came out, plasterer had told us he didn't mind making good any chases, when you have good blades on the chaser and a good hoover chasing is no no big deal, everything is right then i.e heights of sockets and switches complying with regs and having a 35mm steel backing box is a must now too in my opinion.

they're a safer bet but wouldn't always be neccessary

I started using them over 5 years ago as standard as i feel 25mm boxes are too shallow for flatline sockets and switches, even the standard dimmer too, once you get used of second fixing with the 35mm deep box you would never go back to the 25mm.

WikiHow wrote: »
    I started using them over 5 years ago as standard as i feel 25mm boxes are too shallow for flatline sockets and switches, even the standard dimmer too, once you get used of second fixing with the 35mm deep box you would never go back to the 25mm.

ya

just if you were doing a rewire and it was all standard sockets 25mm would do

switches i suppose it depends on type of switch and wiring method

t+e br/bl loop to switches is prob the best method for lighting circuits but a bungalow might be rewired in 3-plate with a twin brown drop to switch

ya

just if you were doing a rewire and it was all standard sockets 25mm would do

switches i suppose it depends on type of switch and wiring method

t+e br/bl loop to switches is prob the best method for lighting circuits but a bungalow might be rewired in 3-plate with a twin brown drop to switch
    I often see where a customer might intend to keep all sockets and switches as standard and then at the finishing stages they decide to upgrade the kitchen sockets to flatline be in trouble, that is why i use the 35mm as standard now and 47mm for cooker and did the same for electrical shower when i was wiring them in 6sq.

Advertisement