Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty/Replacement Issue

Options
  • 12-01-2014 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi,

A friend of mine bought an iPhone 5s there last Friday, and it has been freezing, restarting randomly, hanging etc ever since she got it. She brought it back to the Three store she bought it in to tell them, and they said she has to take it to the FoneMenders to prove the damage was not caused by her, and if they can't fix it within 48 hours the Fonemenders would give her a new one no questions asked.
    My understanding is that she has 30 days to return the phone and get a new one? Are Three right in what they're saying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I'm not sure where you're getting the 30 day thing from, probably some sort of change of mind policy, this is faulty goods.

The retailer has the right to inspect the goods and 48 hours is reasonable. However there are various threads here about fonemenders being a bunch of cowboys and Apple being the second coming of Jesus Christ our Saviour. I'd suggest contacting Apple if three wont budge.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

Bepolite wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you're getting the 30 day thing from, probably some sort of change of mind policy, this is faulty goods.

The retailer has the right to inspect the goods and 48 hours is reasonable. However there are various threads here about fonemenders being a bunch of cowboys and Apple being the second coming of Jesus Christ our Saviour. I'd suggest contacting Apple if three wont budge.

The 30 days is just personal experience I had with Carphone Warehouse in the past, similar thing I bought a phone which wasn't behaving correctly, brought it back after approx 2 weeks and they said since it was less than 30 days they can replace it with a new one. Not sure if this was a goodwill gesture on their behalf though.

So are you saying that Three should be the ones to take the phone? I don't understand how they can send her to a different company, and then tell her that the different company will give her a brand new phone within 48 hours if they can't fix it. Why would Fonemenders give her a new phone when they didn't sell the original one to her is my question? Would you go in to speak to Three again?

Iano_128 wrote: »
    The 30 days is just personal experience I had with Carphone Warehouse in the past, similar thing I bought a phone which wasn't behaving correctly, brought it back after approx 2 weeks and they said since it was less than 30 days they can replace it with a new one. Not sure if this was a goodwill gesture on their behalf though.

So are you saying that Three should be the ones to take the phone? I don't understand how they can send her to a different company, and then tell her that the different company will give her a brand new phone within 48 hours if they can't fix it. Why would Fonemenders give her a new phone when they didn't sell the original one to her is my question? Would you go in to speak to Three again?

They have a contract with Fonemenders. I would deal only with Three but I suspect you will be speaking to a brick wall somewhere in India.

They have a contract with Fonemenders. I would deal only with Three but I suspect you will be speaking to a brick wall somewhere in India.

Ah ok I see, I thought that because her contract was with Three they were all she'd have to deal with.. She went in to the store and spoke to someone which was when she was told she'd have to go to the Fonemenders.

Ah ok I see, I thought that because her contract was with Three they were all she'd have to deal with.. She went in to the store and spoke to someone which was when she was told she'd have to go to the Fonemenders.

She should only have to deal with Three, and they should replace a phone that new directly out of stock.

• Advertisement

She should only have to deal with Three, and they should replace a phone that new directly out of stock.

Perfect so I'll tell her not to go to Fonemenders then. I had a feeling they were just fobbing her off wanting her to go to them so they didn't have to deal with it.

Perfect so I'll tell her not to go to Fonemenders then. I had a feeling they were just fobbing her off wanting her to go to them so they didn't have to deal with it.

I'm not saying they will deal with it. They'll probably tell her to go to Fonemenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Unless fonemenders are apple certified, insist its sent to apple as anyone else working on it will make the apple warrenty void

I'm not saying they will deal with it. They'll probably tell her to go to Fonemenders.

And they legally can? Does she not have any rights as a consumer?

And they legally can? Does she not have any rights as a consumer?

Of course she does but if they refuse there isn't much you can do which takes me back to contacting Apple. Alternatively go the small claims route.

Hopefully a bit of persistence in store might pay off.

• Advertisement

OK thanks very much for your advice, didn't think companies could refuse consumer rights but how and ever, we'll try the shop again and then try talk to Apple if Three won't help. Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OK thanks very much for your advice, didn't think companies could refuse consumer rights but how and ever, we'll try the shop again and then try talk to Apple if Three won't help. Thanks again :)

If three refuse to take in the handset for repair replacement or refund then your friend should immediately write to the store giving them a reasonable time of 7days to sort the problem out before they go to the small claims court where they will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Just contact Apple, they'll run you through some troubleshooting on the phone and arrange a repair if necessary (Actually they'll probably just replace it if its a hardware issue)

Most of the time is software though and just requires a Software Restore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

OP .. take Three out of the loop altogether. Regardless of their obligations etc .. you will get a much better service from going to Apple direct and cutting out the middle man. Apple's service is one of the best out there and you will have satisfaction much quicker than if you go through the retailer

Advertisement