Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acer Aspire laptop going nuts (battery/AC problem)

• 13-01-2014 12:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27

i5 2.5GHz, 6GB RAM, Windows 7, Geforce 630m 1GB blah blah - I don't think this stuff is relevant here :)

As of a few days ago my laptop has started to randomly go into Hibernation mode without any warning whatsoever, even when I have plenty of battery left. It will do this even when plugged in, as sometimes the laptop thinks it is not plugged in even when it is.

Just now, this sequence of events happened:

1. Turned on the laptop
    2. 72% battery, unplugged
    3. Laptop entered Hibernation
    4. Turned it back on, I now had critical battery level (around 5%?)
    5. I plugged in the AC cord and it then said I had 76% but was "not charging"
    6. I remove and reinserted the AC cord, it's now charging but I know if I unplug then my laptop will Hibernate again at some point.

I have tried reseating the battery and I have tried holding the power button down to rid the residual/static charge.

Another problem, most likely linked, is that the laptop cannot decide whether it is charging or not. I am sat here with the power cable plugged into it, I'm not moving at all and it has beeped 4 times as it switches between thinking it's plugged and unplugged.

In fact now it's flat out saying "no battery is detected", even though it's there... and if I remove the power cable the laptop remains on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Motherboard

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

Take out the battery and have ac plug plugged in. If it operates fine without any problems (it will say no battery in bottom right but that's grand) then....buy a new battery would be my advice. Around €15 on eBay.

How old is laptop? Is it used daily?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Although rare, Windows 7 sometimes is associated with battery problems. I have experienced this with my old Windows 7 netbook, where the cord will be plugged-in, but the depleted battery was not charging. If this is the problem with your laptop, then you may want to look for a software fix, rather than a new battery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 ArmandHammer

Take out the battery and have ac plug plugged in. If it operates fine without any problems (it will say no battery in bottom right but that's grand) then....buy a new battery would be my advice. Around €15 on eBay.
    It's more like double that! But besides I don't think that is the problem, I've had batteries die on me before (had my Dell for 6 years) and all it meant was it didn't hold much charge. That would not explain why my laptop keeps thinking it's not plugged in, goes into Hibernation without warning, thinks there's no battery inserted etc.
    How old is laptop? Is it used daily?
    It's about 15 months old, and yes.

Black Swan wrote: »
    Although rare, Windows 7 sometimes is associated with battery problems. I have experienced this with my old Windows 7 netbook, where the cord will be plugged-in, but the depleted battery was not charging. If this is the problem with your laptop, then you may want to look for a software fix, rather than a new battery.

Just reinstalling the driver? I'll try that now.

edit: I did it, the laptop recognised the battery again. I unplugged the AC and it said unplugged, and I wasn't even able to finish this post before it went to sleep. Turned it back on, battery level critical at 0%, plugged it in, 'Fully Charged 100%'. Okay then...

edit pt II: unplugged it again, battery 98%, went into sleep mode after about 20 seconds. Turned it on again and it said 97%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It could be a broken connection in the power pack lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Power reset as in http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13677. ? Make sure power cable is correct one as well and not frayed or damaged .

jca wrote: »
    It could be a broken connection in the power pack lead.
    Nope I've tried a different power pack/cable and same thing. Besides, I wouldn't be getting all these symptoms with the battery and sleep/hibernation if it was just the plug hardware.
    Janedoe10 wrote: »
    Power reset as in http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13677. ? Make sure power cable is correct one as well and not frayed or damaged .

Yes

I'm usually fairly handy at diagnosing and solving tech issues, but I just can't get a handle on this due to how random it is. Sometimes it detects the battery, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it thinks it has no charge, sometimes it does - and even when it thinks there's no battery there it continues to run so it obviously has some charge which is being transferred.

Advertisement