Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for 5-10 easy to make curry recipes

Options
  • 13-01-2014 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for 5/10 recipes of some thai/malaysia/etc curry dishes to be able to cook them quickly and have a different food every day.

I have more or less learnt by heart the two curries (green curry and malaysian) from one and only Curry_Addict (thank you), plus a Pad Thai that I tried once and it turned out to be fine. As far I am concerned I could live on them and as a matter of fact I do. So does my wife and our 2yr old. We literaly have 4 days of malaysian curry - 1 PT - 4 days of green curry - 1 PT and repeat the cycle.

I am just bit concerned the my other half will one day tell me - make me smth else. So now I am after 5,10...and so on recipes that will allow me to make our curry week even more interesting.

I would like the level of heat to be similar to the mentioned curries. I dont mind the initial workload involved in preparing the base ingredients. But the actual cooking shouldnt be more than 30min.

I'm quite organized so I have green curry paste portioned, frozen. Same with chicken. All Im doing is getting fresh veg and vary them daily.

Oh yes and I also tried another recipe of C_A - cant remember the name but it was sort of a curry chicken stew. Didnt really like it with chicked but I think beef/lamb will be much better but cooking took too long. I am going to try the indian curry recipes one weekend when Ill have some more spare time.

thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Thai Chicken Curry
    Ingredients

2 shallots, or 1 small onion
    1 stalk lemongrass
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    3-4 tsp red Thai curry paste
    4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
    1 tbsp fish sauce
    1 tsp sugar, brown is best
    4 freeze-dried kaffir lime leaves
    400ml can coconut milk
    20g pack fresh coriander

1. Peel shallots or onion and cut in half from top to root. Lay the cut sides flat on a board and thinly slice. Very finely slice the lemongrass, starting at the thinner end, stopping towards the base when it gets tough (often described as ‘woody’ and white in the centre).

2. Heat the oil in a wok or large saucepan for a couple of minutes until the oil separates (it looks more liquid at this point). Add the shallots or onion. Fry for 3-5 mins, until soft and translucent. Stir in the curry paste and cook for 1 min, stirring all the time.

3. Add chicken pieces and stir until they are coated. Add the fish sauce, sugar, kaffir lime leaves and coconut milk. Bring slowly to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 mins until the chicken is cooked. Stir the curry a few times while it cooks, to stop it sticking and to keep the chicken submerged.

4. While the chicken is cooking, strip the leaves from the coriander stalks, gather into a pile and chop very roughly. Taste the curry and add a little more curry paste and salt if you think it needs it. Stir half the coriander into the curry and sprinkle the rest over the top. Serve with Thai jasmine or basmati rice.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1788/thai-chicken-curry

Have made it before and it is delicious, I wouldn't be a fan of curries in general but this is delicious. A dash of fresh lime juice is a lovely addition too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Have you seen Curry_Addicts cooking club thread (Restuarant Currues) that thread contains the recipe for a curry base that can is used to make 5 or 6 diffetent curries by adding a few ingredients. Plus there another 4 or stand along curries there.

I'm sure you can get a curry recipe book also.

That said, if your wife one days asks you to make something else, she probably won't mean a different curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Toast4532 wrote: »
    3-4 tsp red Thai curry paste

How do you make that paste? I prefer to make my own, as I presume gthey taste better, I can freeze it for later and tbh I just get so much fun out of making it.

Especialy when Im telling my wife how many chillies, garlics etc ate in it. The horrific look on her face changes to smile once she tries the ready dish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Mellor wrote: »
    Have you seen Curry_Addicts cooking club thread (Restuarant Currues)

I have seen that and will try that during one of the weekends to come.
    Mellor wrote: »
    That said, if your wife one days asks you to make something else, she probably won't mean a different curry.

I wouldnt worry bout that, at first she was complaining the green and malaysian currie were too hot, and now shes munching away without making any sounds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭fresheire

Same here :)

How do you make red curry paste?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I don't make my own pasta unfortunately. I bought one in Dunnes which is by a brand called Thai Gold.

It was about €3 I think and lasted ages. I've added it to salmon fish cakes before too, to give them a bit of a kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Personally I think the thai gold brand is generally not that great and the maesri/ma ploy brands you get in asian supermarkets are much better - for example thai gold oyster sauce contains 0.3% oyster extract - maekrua oyster sauce is 30% oyster extract, and costs less per ml.

Advertisement