Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Cracking time today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Out with it Waldorf, we all know you're bursting to tell us!

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I thought he was Statler? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

06/02/2015 3.96m @ 09:15 avg pace (Recovery with dog)

Pushed for time today as I picked golf over running in the afternoon so just managed a 4m recovery run with the dog before the Wales v England game. Apart from an embarrassing little trip over the dog that left me panned out on the footpath this was uneventful.

07/02/2015 parkun St Anne's - 17:42 (3rd Finisher)

Had an early breakfast and dodgy stomach before leaving the house to run up to parkrun. Also did a little foam rolling to loosing out the calves as they were a little tight.

christeb was talking during the week about getting a speedy Raheny guy to pace him in a Sub 18 attempt today. I had said I would tag along and see if I could hang on the back and dip under the 18min mark myself. As previously mentioned I haven't run a 5k in a serious attempt at breaking my 5k PB of 18:19 since it was set in Oct 2013.

After a 1.5m warm-up I arrived at the start area and did a some stretching before saying hello to Murph who was timekeeper for today and to Ferris B and Annapr both of who were returning after layoff. Good to see them back and was glad to see Ferris doing exactly what the doctor order;)

christeb's pacer wasn't available but I assumed he was going for it anyway so lined up just behind him. He took off like a rocket and I jumped in behind. We were 1 and 2 after the first 200m meters. By 400m I had been passed by two lads and knew I was never going to be able to hold the pace so I let them move ahead and tried to find a rhythm.

As we approached the 1km mark I was passed by a female runner. I knew the female runner was a very solid sub 18min runner as she has been leading female finisher in St Anne's on all 16 occasions that she has run it. I now had a new plan and that was it sit on her shoulder for as long as I could. She was moving very comfortably and I settled in for another 14/15mins of pain.

By the time we passed the half way stage we were 2nd and 3rd with the lead runner a 100m+ ahead and building his lead all the time. Murph called the spilt at what I think was 8:57 but could have been 8:47 I just know it started with an 8 which was good enough for me at that stage. Not long after the 3km the female runner took advantage of a small downhill to push ahead and I slipped back by a couple of yards. All was not lost and I was still in touch. The 4th km was very tough and I was really feeling the pain. I had to refocus here to get my stride back. As we reached the top corner I was maintaining the gap to 2nd but as I rounded the corner I could see the next runner who had definitely gained on me.

Hit the main avenue and now had 900m left. I was breathing like a stream train and could hear the foot steps behind me. I pushed a little and made a couple of yards back on the runner ahead but I still had 30/40m to make up. Runner behind was still 20/30m or thereabouts behind.

Next marker was to cross the yellow line on the Avenue which is about 400m out. At this point I started to bring the arms in and felt I still had a little to give if the tracking runner caught me. I don't know how far the runner in front was ahead at this stage as the last 400m is a bit of a blur. I knew where the finish was and with 200m to go I pumped the arms and empty the tank. I think Murph will agree with me that I finished eyeballs out. Had to catch my breath before even stopping the watch. I was chuffed and to be honest a little surprised when Murph confirmed the time as 17:42 and a 38sec PB:pac:

Congratulated the runners before and after me and thanked them for their help in pushing me to a pretty all out effort PB which saw me as 3rd finisher overall and 2nd male finisher.

After 0.5m cool-down I linked up with Ferris who had just set himself a very decent comeback PB. We did another 0.5m lap before adjourning for coffee.

Splits were: 05:48/05:42/05:54.....with pace for last 0.1 showing as 04:44/m:eek:

For me this was one of the good days that we all train for and makes the bad days worth it........it is funny sometimes the things that make you smile and today I have been wearing a sneaky little smirk allday. I am sure tomorrow it will be back to a grimace as I struggle through the 12 miler I have to do to keep my 100% Jantastic record:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great run Mark.
    Well done

Can't believe you got chicked though.....:pac:

Cracking time today!!

Cheers A. VERY Happy with it:)
    Out with it Waldorf, we all know you're bursting to tell us!

TbL

It is not often you are right, TbL ;)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    I thought he was Statler? :confused:

I thought I was too, Murph but sure if you kept correcting auldfellas like TbL everytime they get a little mixed up you'd have no time for running:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Cracking time Mark, understatement to say i'm mad jealous!!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Great run Mark.
    Well done

Can't believe you got chicked though.....:pac:

Cheers P. I was going to leave that bit out but I was making sure I got my defence in first before Murph got his chance to "clarify"..........she matched her PB to beat me, does that make it better:o

tang1 wrote: »
    Cracking time Mark, understatement to say i'm mad jealous!!

Thanks B.

• Advertisement

That's a terrific terrific run/time.

I'm too impressed to even pull the piss and thats saying something!

Serious congrats Waldorf/Statler/Ya big Muppet.

TbL

That's a terrific terrific run/time.

I'm too impressed to even pull the piss and thats saying something!

Serious congrats Waldorf/Statler/Ya big Muppet.

TbL

That truly is a compliment:)

Cheers TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great running Mark - nice one.....

But you were still chicked :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Chicked or not, that's an impressive PB, done in an unexpected way, which makes it more remarkable. Very well deserved, and much more to come in a 'real' race.

Killerz wrote: »
    Great running Mark - nice one.....

But you were still chicked :)

Cheers J. I'll take the PB even with a little bit of baggage!
    Chicked or not, that's an impressive PB, done in an unexpected way, which makes it more remarkable. Very well deserved, and much more to come in a 'real' race.

Thanks A.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    ... I think Murph will agree with me that I finished eyeballs out.

I certainly can: eyeballs, eyelids and even the eyebrows were out. :)

It was a most impressive finish. The fourth finisher definitely looked to be close to your heels about 150m out but you pumped the arms and blew him away. It was great to watch, well done and congrats.

• Advertisement

I certainly can: eyeballs, eyelids and even the eyebrows were out. :)

It was a most impressive finish. The fourth finisher definitely looked to be close to your heels about 150m out but you pumped the arms and blew him away. It was great to watch, well done and congrats.

Cheers Murph. The cheque is in the post;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done M, great run.... and don't mind those sexists :)

...there's a yellow line 400m out on the avenue?? why did nobody ever show me that??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Just spotting this now M - smashing time, big congrats!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Savage stuff, well done. Does this mean I need to do a 5K now? Current PB is 17:43!

Duanington wrote: »
    Just spotting this now M - smashing time, big congrats!!

Cheers D.
    viperlogic wrote: »
    Savage stuff, well done. Does this mean I need to do a 5K now? Current PB is 17:43!

No you sit back and relax. This is probably the only distance that I have dipped under your PB at so let me have it for a couple of weeks at least:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Great time and nice Age Graded score also Sir... Congrats...

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Fantastic

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Great time and nice Age Graded score also Sir... Congrats...

Cheers. My recent move to a new age category helped my grades score. Getting old has its advantages sometimes:)
    Fantastic

Thanks CJ. Nice PB from you yesterday. Good running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Great stuff lad! That's a huge performance.:)

Great stuff lad! That's a huge performance.:)

Cheers NE.

08/02/2015 - 14.41m @ 08:13 (Med-Long including Howth Hill)

Super day for running and when I hit the coast Howth was calling me so I decided to answer. Headed up the Sutton side and back down the old tram route. Really enjoyable run. Ignored the watch pretty much all the way and the pace was a bit all over the place and reflects the terrain and my mood at various parts of the run. Nice way to finish the week.

09/02/2015 - 4.7m @ 08:31 avg pace (Recovery)

Was in the UK all day so pushed out the planned session and just did a late evening recovery run home from the airport.

10/02/2015 -8.6m @ 07:54 avg pace (5x4min @ 10k Pace RI150)

Watch has outer range of 10k pace at 06:15 which is probably a bit generous so I was planning to try to keep this in the lower range or into 5m pace which would be closer to 06:00. It took a bit to get into the first rep and this meant this was slower than I would like. Next 2 went OK but when I turned back into the breeze I ahd another slow rep before pushing the effort in rep 5 to try to get closer to the desired zone.

Pace for each rep was 06:12/05:59/05:59/06:15/06:06

Not as consistent as I would have liked but a good workout all the same.

11/02/2015 - 5.12m @ 08:15 avg pace (Easy)

Life got in the way and I didn't get out for this until after 23:00. Before I left the house the planned 8/10 easy had been hauled back to 7 and by the time I got through mile 2 I had decided to drop it to 5. I was very tired and stomach wasn't great so headed home. This was a nothing run.........didn't really get anything out of it but it didn't do me any harm either.

12/02/2015 - 12m @ 07:29 (w/ 55mins @ MP)

MP will be 06:45 when I hit my next marathon cycle but wasn't sure I could hit this tonight. Another log day left me less than enthused but I was determined to get this done and to at least hit sub 7 pace for the MP section.

When I kicked off the MP miles I started by just worrying about mile 1 after that I told myself that after 2 I would be 25% there. Next target was to get to 4 miles/half way and then to reach 6 and the turnaround point after that I was on the run in so I could start thinking about the finish. I struggled quite a bit to find and hold pace during the first half of this and was constantly checking the watch. After mile 5 I got p1ssed off with the watch and decided to ignore it and just run. Effort felt good and consistent so didn't care about pace. Was pleasantly surprised to see later the last 2 miles back into the breeze were exactly the same pace and the fastest of the evening.

Pace of MP miles was 06:51/06:52/06:57/06:58/06:56/06:56/06:46/06:46

Enjoyable run. I was happy with the numbers achieved as I never found a flow and was quite rigid all the way - landing very flat/slappy and no real flex in the ankles or bounce in my stride.

Stomach still not right and hamstrings felt a little tight in reps 6-8 particularly the left one.

08/02/2015 - 14.41m @ 08:13 (Med-Long including Howth Hill)

Super day for running and when I hit the coast Howth was calling me so I decided to answer. Headed up the Sutton side and back down the old tram route. Really enjoyable run. Ignored the watch pretty much all the way and the pace was a bit all over the place and reflects the terrain and my mood at various parts of the run. Nice way to finish the week.

09/02/2015 - 4.7m @ 08:31 avg pace (Recovery)

Was in the UK all day so pushed out the planned session and just did a late evening recovery run home from the airport.

10/02/2015 -8.6m @ 07:54 avg pace (5x4min @ 10k Pace RI150)

Watch has outer range of 10k pace at 06:15 which is probably a bit generous so I was planning to try to keep this in the lower range or into 5m pace which would be closer to 06:00. It took a bit to get into the first rep and this meant this was slower than I would like. Next 2 went OK but when I turned back into the breeze I ahd another slow rep before pushing the effort in rep 5 to try to get closer to the desired zone.

Pace for each rep was 06:12/05:59/05:59/06:15/06:06

Not as consistent as I would have liked but a good workout all the same.

11/02/2015 - 5.12m @ 08:15 avg pace (Easy)

Life got in the way and I didn't get out for this until after 23:00. Before I left the house the planned 8/10 easy had been hauled back to 7 and by the time I got through mile 2 I had decided to drop it to 5. I was very tired and stomach wasn't great so headed home. This was a nothing run.........didn't really get anything out of it but it didn't do me any harm either.

12/02/2015 - 12m @ 07:29 (w/ 55mins @ MP)

MP will be 06:45 when I hit my next marathon cycle but wasn't sure I could hit this tonight. Another log day left me less than enthused but I was determined to get this done and to at least hit sub 7 pace for the MP section.

When I kicked off the MP miles I started by just worrying about mile 1 after that I told myself that after 2 I would be 25% there. Next target was to get to 4 miles/half way and then to reach 6 and the turnaround point after that I was on the run in so I could start thinking about the finish. I struggled quite a bit to find and hold pace during the first half of this and was constantly checking the watch. After mile 5 I got p1ssed off with the watch and decided to ignore it and just run. Effort felt good and consistent so didn't care about pace. Was pleasantly surprised to see later the last 2 miles back into the breeze were exactly the same pace and the fastest of the evening.

Pace of MP miles was 06:51/06:52/06:57/06:58/06:56/06:56/06:46/06:46

Enjoyable run. I was happy with the numbers achieved as I never found a flow and was quite rigid all the way - landing very flat/slappy and no real flex in the ankles or bounce in my stride.

Stomach still not right and hamstrings felt a little tight in reps 6-8 particularly the left one.

Getting p-ed off with the watch seems to work well for you, M! Very impressed that you ran home from the airport too...

annapr wrote: »
    Getting p-ed off with the watch seems to work well for you, M! Very impressed that you ran home from the airport too...

I was actually thinking that about the watch myself when I was writing that last night. Probably need to get a better balance between running by effort/feel and running by the watch.....although that is easier said than done when you have a "touch" of OCD like I have :)

13/02/2015 - 4.93 @ 09:05 avg pace (Recovery with Dog)

Wasn't going to fit in run and walking the dog so combined both by doing 5 recovery with him instead of 7 easy. Bit of a slog with nothing much worth reporting.

14/02/2015 - 9.51m @ 08:24 avg pace (Easy) + parkrun St Anne's (19:56)

Headed out early for this one and was joined by Ferris B. This was his first "long run" back. Great to have company and time ticked away nicely. Legs were quite stiff and I think Ferris found it easier than me.

When Ferris finished up I headed on up to St Anne's to do parkrun and to give a hand with a bit a funnel management/marshalling afterwards. The plan was a sub 20min 5K which I did but needed to kick a little come down the Avenue to make sure.

Plenty of boardies around including a large chunk of the Murph clan. The little Murph's took their marshalling duties very seriously and even brought their own hi-vis jacket. Terry049 managed to lead the field home and was in good form afterwards.

Lovely morning for running and thoroughly enjoyed the well deserved post run coffee.

Had managed to get my hands on a ticket for the rugby so the evening was spent at the Aviva watching a very competitive and entertaining win over the French.....Valentine's Day done and dusted:)

15/04/2015 - 4m @ 09:08 avg pace (Recovery with Dog)

Double jobbing again saw me recovery running with the Dog. He is a great man for keeping me in check on these and is not short of telling me where to go if I start to get carried away or even think about heading the long way around.

16/02/2015 - 7.28m @ 08:15 avg pace (easy)

The plan had me doing 10 x 1min Hills so I headed out to Howth to find a decent hill. I had decided to use the section between the school and the golf club. Started well and hit the first 2 reps at 06:00 and 06:03 pace which I was happy with given the gradient but at the end of the 2nd rep my left hamstring started to tighten. Rep 3 was 06:13 and I could feel the hammer getting tighter. Canned it on rep 4 as it was only getting worse I had a bit of deja vu from this time last year when I did some damage on that very same hill to that very same leg. Really don't want to be heading to Ballycotton on one leg again this year.

So after canning the session I headed for home a little p$ssed off but still happy with the call.

17/02/2015 - 5m @ 10.12. avg pace (Recovery)

Joined Mrs FBOT for 5 recovery miles. Pleasant evening and an enjoyable run.

18/02/2015 - 10.37m @ 08:08 avg pace (Easy)

Would have preferred this to be closer to 8min pace but was happy enough that effort level was in the right range and would put the slower pace down to last 5 miles being pretty much into the wind. Just ran and paid no attention to the watch. As I was ticking along at what I assumed to be 8min + pace I couldn't help but recall a comment on Killerz log earlier today that his natural running pace seems to be around 7min pace at the moment.........fock I would love to able to find that pace naturally:(

• Advertisement

19/02/2015 - 10m @ 07:19 avg pace (30mins @ HMP)

Avoided all the earlier rain and got out for this just before 6pm. Plan was for 3m wu followed by 30mins @ HMP. For this purpose I had decided that HMP should be sub 06:30 for now with a target to get it down under 06:20. 3m wu @ 08:01 avg pace brought me down past the Bullwall heading towards Sutton. Decided to make it a straight 5m @ HMP rather than worrying about stopping the watch after 30mins. Settled into a decent rhythm and decided that once I got a feel for the pace in first mile I would ignore the watch and try to run on feel. Felt strong on the way out and was moving well. The ground was a little greasy from the earlier rain and could feel this impacting on traction. That aside I was focused and in a good zone. Resisted the temptation to check the watch.

Turned at the end of the cycle track and headed back into the breeze as it couldn't really be described as a wind. Lost focus a little on the way back and I found myself having to re-engage my brain a couple of times. I had to do quite a bit of weaving as well to avoid other path users. I resisted the temptation to push on the way home and tried to keep an even feel on effort. I felt I had more to give and when I checked the watch when I got home I found out why :(

Lesson learnt is that if you are going to run on feel you really need to keep the head in the game otherwise you lose the feel and drop off pace very quickly.

Split for the HMP miles were 06:31/06:23/06:22/06:35/06:31. The couple of slower miles at the end are disappointing but at least I had plenty left in the tank so would be confident that with better feel or a little more clock watching I am in the right HMP zone.

Plenty of runners out this evening and got a smiley hello from the always cheerful HelenAnne as I toddled home on my couple of cool down miles.

Avoided all the earlier rain and got out for this just before 6pm. Plan was for 3m wu followed by 30mins @ HMP. For this purpose I had decided that HMP should be sub 06:30 for now with a target to get it down under 06:20. 3m wu @ 08:01 avg pace brought me down past the Bullwall heading towards Sutton. Decided to make it a straight 5m rather than worry about stopping the watch after 30mins. Settle into a decent rhythm and decided that once I got a feel for the pace in first mile I would ignore the watch and try to run on feel. Felt strong on the way out and was moving well. The ground was a little greasy from the earlier rain and could feel this impacting on traction. That aside I was focused and in a good zone. Resisted the temptation to check the watch. Turned at the end of the cycle track and headed back into the breeze as it couldn't really be described as a wind. Lost focus a little on the way back and I found my myself having to reengage my brain a couple of times. I had to do quite a bit of weaving as well to avoid other path users. I resisted the temptation to push on the way home and tried to keep an even feel on effort. I felt I had more to give and when I checked the watch when I got home I found out why :(

Lesson learnt is that if you are going to run on feel you really need to keep the head in the game otherwise you lose the feel and drop off pace very quickly.

Split for the HMP miles were 06:31/06:23/06:22/06:35/06:31. The couple of slower miles at the end are disappointing but at least I had plenty left in the tank so would be confident that with better feel or a little more clock watching I am in the right HMP zone.

Plenty of runners out this evening and got a smiley hello from the always cheerful HelenAnne as I toddled home on my couple of cool down miles.

Nice session M, but I'd say you're been very soft with that HMP!

TbL

Nice session M, but I'd say you're been very soft with that HMP!

TbL

Cheers TbL. My HM PB is 01:28:56 which gives me 06:47 so I'd say I am being a little ambitious:)

Joking aside you are right and sub 06:20 is where it needs to be. I will be working hard to get it there over the coming weeks and months :pac::pac:

Avoided all the earlier rain and got out for this just before 6pm. Plan was for 3m wu followed by 30mins @ HMP. For this purpose I had decided that HMP should be sub 06:30 for now with a target to get it down under 06:20. 3m wu @ 08:01 avg pace brought me down past the Bullwall heading towards Sutton. Decided to make it a straight 5m @ HMP rather than worrying about stopping the watch after 30mins. Settled into a decent rhythm and decided that once I got a feel for the pace in first mile I would ignore the watch and try to run on feel. Felt strong on the way out and was moving well. The ground was a little greasy from the earlier rain and could feel this impacting on traction. That aside I was focused and in a good zone. Resisted the temptation to check the watch.

Turned at the end of the cycle track and headed back into the breeze as it couldn't really be described as a wind. Lost focus a little on the way back and I found myself having to re-engage my brain a couple of times. I had to do quite a bit of weaving as well to avoid other path users. I resisted the temptation to push on the way home and tried to keep an even feel on effort. I felt I had more to give and when I checked the watch when I got home I found out why :(

Nice session there M - I always get thrown a bit when turning around at that stretch, I never quite manage to get the same rhythm going without checking the watching and focusing in on the pace for a bit

Duanington wrote: »
    Nice session there M - I always get thrown a bit when turning around at that stretch, I never quite manage to get the same rhythm going without checking the watching and focusing in on the pace for a bit

Cheers D. In the past I have often found myself pushing the pace when I turn around as I am conscious of running into the breeze and eager to get it over with :)

I would normally be a serious watch watcher so this was an interesting experiment.

20/02/15 - 9.03m @ 07:14 avg pace (Steady)

Got the call to arms from TbL who was on route from Greece to Galway and looking for company on his 9m steady run before heading west.

Linked up with him in carpark of Clontarf Castle with a plan to head towards Sutton and back which is the perfect route for a steady session - flat and uninterrupted. Hadn't met the infamous TbL before so was wondering how I would recognise him but when I saw a car pull in and the guy open the door and place a garmin on the roof to locate a satelite my question was answered.

After checking the pacing instructions and been told that the aim was 07:20 off we went and settled into for a nice steady rhythm. I really enjoyed the run and it was great to have company. Company really does make running feel easier and pace feel much more manageable.

TbL bounced along talking all the way or at least at ever opportunity I gave him. I really do need to learn to shut up sometimes:D

His coach seems to be doing a great job and we can expect big things from him.

21/02/15 - 12.36m @ 08:00 avg pace (Easy incl parkrun St Anne's)

I was pretty f*cked after Thursday's HMP session and Friday Steady run with TbL but had a 12 miler to do it keep my Jantastic score intact so set the alarm and hit the road at 8am and managed to get 9.5 miles in before parkrun.

I had no plans for parkrun other than to finish off my 12 miles. I started right at the back and just toddled along chatting to anyone who wanted to chat. Finished in 22:xx. Job done and off for coffee and pancakes :)

22/02/2015 - 4m @ 08:53 avg pace (Recovery)

Nice recovery run with the youngest. Wet and cold but enjoyable all the same. Resisted the urge to throw in an extra couple of miles at the end that would have brought my week over 60 miles. One up for Willpower over Running OCD!!

23/02/2015 - 5.11m @ 08:17 avg pace (Easy)

Was dog sitting for my sister so decided to introduce her 10 month old Golden Labrador to running. Usually running with the dog means slow recovery miles however this fella trotted along beside me with not a care in the world. I think he was actually laughing at me and had a "bring it on" look in his eye. I'd say I could have upped to steady pace without him even breaking a sweat......Oh the joys of youth:)

24/02/2015 - 4.5m @ 08:07 avg pace (2m Steady/2.5m Easy)

The plan for today was a 2hr Steady run and I juggled the day around to fit this in before dinner. I was just 2 miles in when I approached a junction and had to divert slightly to get a around a car that was nudging its way out towards the main road. As I rounded the back of the car I had to make a sudden move to avoid a bollard that I hadn't seen. As I did this my foot went from under me and I gave the foot path a good old fashion "Northside Kiss" I jumped up to avoid that awkward and embarrassing moment when somebody offers to help you up or asks if you are OK. I walked for a moment to check the damage. Usual bloody knees that you can expect from such a fall but the bigger issue was the fact I hit my head. I wasn't dizzy but could feel throbing from what I knew was going to be a large bump over my right eye. I was only 15mins into a 2hr run so was reluntant to can it but after another half mile I knew another 100mins of steady running would not be the sensible choice. Jogged the 2.5miles back to the house dug out the cold compress and "licked" my wounds for a while before walking the dog.

Bloody knees and bruised eye/forehead aside, the biggest damage was done to my ego and my steady run:(

25/02/2015 - 4m @ 09:31 avg pace (Recovery with Dog)

A few funny looks at meetings today when people saw my newly acquired swollen eyebrow and forehead extension. Even funnier when I told them that Mrs FBOT was responsible for the damage ;)

Took it handy this eve and stuck to recovery pace. Had me own 11 year old Golden Retriever with me so no fear of me getting carried away.

We were having a discussion about dog v's human age the other day and apparently at 11 human year old, me auld four legged buddy is 82 dog years old. FairPlay to him for even being able to manage 09:31 pace. Hopefully I can when I am as old as him!

Ouch, M, you took a bad knock. Glad the head injury wasn't any worse. Would have been terrible if you couldn't talk :P

26/02/2015 - 13m @ 07:21 avg pace (3x20mins @ MP RI150)

After following the return to play protocols I decided to do this session at lunchtime today as I have a leg massage booked for this evening. Wasn't feeling it so took MT along for company. A little windy out there so wasn't sure how it would work.

Warm-up (2.5m) took me the coast and I head off towards Sutton for the first rep. Plan is to get MP to sub 6:45 but would be happy enough to get it sub 6:50 today (as TbL said I am taking the soft options these days). Decided to do 3x3miles as auto lap could then handle the splits. First rep felt OK but struggled a little to keep pace in the middle. As usual the rest interval felt to short. Rep 2 saw me finish back into the wind. MT came to an end here so switch over to shuffle for the journey back. Wind wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and Kodaline kept me uplifted all the way in. I had the music on quite loud and did the opposite to run on feel....I was floating along with the music until a sharp pinch behind my left knee woke me. I looked at the watch and it was reading 06:33. Reeled it in and really enjoyed the last rep. Finished feeling strong but glad to be finished at the same time:)

Splits for MP reps were as follows:
    06:46/06:49/06:46
    06:48/06:48/06:47 (pace very consistent at least)
    06:47/06:38/06:45 (confirmed that I was "subconsciously" holding something back in anticipation of the wind)

26/02/2015 - 13m @ 07:21 avg pace (3x20mins @ MP RI150)

After following the return to play protocols I decided to do this session at lunchtime today as I have a leg massage booked for this evening. Wasn't feeling it so took MT along for company. A little windy out there so wasn't sure how it would work.

Warm-up (2.5m) took me the coast and I head off towards Sutton for the first rep. Plan is to get MP to sub 6:45 but would be happy enough to get it sub 6:50 today (as TbL said I am taking the soft options these days). Decided to do 3x3miles as auto lap could then handle the splits. First rep felt OK but struggled a little to keep pace in the middle. As usual the rest interval felt to short. Rep 2 saw me finish back into the wind. MT came to an end here so switch over to shuffle for the journey back. Wind wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and Kodaline kept me uplifted all the way in. I had the music on quite loud and did the opposite to run on feel....I was floating along with the music until a sharp pinch behind my left knee woke me. I looked at the watch and it was reading 06:33. Reeled it in and really enjoyed the last rep. Finished feeling strong but glad to be finished at the same time:)

Splits for MP reps were as follows:
    06:46/06:49/06:46
    06:48/06:48/06:47 (pace very consistent at least)
    06:47/06:38/06:45 (confirmed that I was "subconsciously" holding something back in anticipation of the wind)

I spotted you earlier doing this M - I was busting a gut doing hill reps beside St Anne's while you cruised by on the other side of the coast road. No bother to you

• Advertisement

27/02/2015 - 7m @ 08:17 avg pace (Easy)

Leg massage the night before left my legs heavy for this one. Heading out around 6 in the company of Ferris B. Tipped around nicely.

28/02/2015 - 6.5m including parkrun St Anne's (19:59)

Took the long way around to St Anne's to give myself a reasonable warm-up. Got a wave from Duanington out doing his thing as normal on a Saturday morning. After a 3 mile warm-up I linked up with Ferris at parkrun start/finish area. Plenty of the usual crew there including Murph and annapr who were running hand in hand again giving the rest of us a bad name :)

Ferris was talking about another come back PB so I decided to tag along with him as leg were still recovering from Thursday's massage not in hard running form. We had a good solid run and nipped in under the 20mins. Job done and off for coffee.

01/03/2015 - 10.12m @ 08:15 avg pace (Easy)

This was just about ticking off a few miles. Bumped into Mrs FBOT on route and joined her for a mile or so before pushing on. Missed the best and the worst of the weather. Mrs FBOT got soaked and lost the use of her fingers by the time she got home. How times have changed around here? A couple of years ago I'd have been the only mad one running in all weathers now we have 4 out of 5 willing to do it......only one nut left to crack:pac::pac:

02/03/2015 - 4.26m @ 09:29 avg pace (Recovery with Dog)

Did exactly what it says on the tin? Think the dog has lost his love for running and is looking to retire.......had to almost drag him out for this one.

03/03/2015 - 6.46m @ 08:13 avg pace (Easy)

Jumped at the chance to join Murph for a few miles in the middle of his progression run. As expected the miles ticked away quickly with the distraction that company provides. We chatted away and upped the pace as we went along whenever Murph's watch told us too. Last minute detour to avoid a road crossing towards the end of the HMP section left us headed up a decent climb but fairplay to Murph he dug in and hit the number pretty much bang on. Hopefully I will get the chance to join him for a few more of these over the next 12 weeks as he preps for Cork.

04/03/2015 - 9m @ 07:40 avg pace (5/4/3/2/1mins @ MP/HMP/10K/5K/3K RI120)

This is the last prescribed session before Ballycotton at the weekend and it was a good one to get the legs moving but the generous rest intervals meant that it wasn't a gut buster.

Ferris joined me for the first part of this. He was originally only going to do the warm-up and then let me off with the intention that I would sweep hi up on the way back but when he heard that my MP was only 06:40 he decided to join me for that too. He then turned and headed for home. Didn't even get a sniff of him on the way back in never mind get close enough to sweep him up.

Did the MP ad HMP session with the wind and then turned back into the breeze for the rest? Enjoyed this run and felt good throughout. Although when I got to the faster reps I was glad the reps weren't too long.

Avg Paces for the interval reps were:

5mins @ 06:39
    4mins @ 06:17
    3mins @ 06:03
    2mins @ 05:42
    1min @ 05:32

As the reps got shorter the accuracy of the garmin pace probably reduced but overall I was happy with how the session went.

05/03/2015 - 6m @ 09:17 avg pace (Recovery)

Ignored the watch and just ran this one. Pace was what the body wanted it to be.

06/03/2015 - 5.9m @ 07:58 avg pace (Easy w/9x100m Strides)

Nice easy leg loosener at lunchtime. Wasn't as bouncy as I would have liked to be on the strides but that maybe because there was a strong breeze supporting me and I could hardly get my legs moving fast enough to keep up as I was being blown along :)

More of the same tomorrow before doing my duty as Run Director in St Anne's parkrun and hitting the road for Ballycotton at lunchtime. Both Mrs FBOT and I are running on Sunday and we have a couple of friends running too. Plenty of folks from around here should be floating around down there too so hopefully bump into a few along the way.....target is to run like fock and see how I get on :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Nice week.

Good luck on Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice week.

Good luck on Sunday!

+1, very best of luck Sunday Mark. Give it welly.

Best of luck to yourself and Mrs Mc on Sunday, M... no doubt you will bring home that t-shirt!!! And no doubt Mrs Mc will do the family proud too!

p.s. ignoring your comments above :p

p.p.s. do you get to run and be in charge tomorrow again? :)

Nice week.

Good luck on Sunday!

Cheers P. Best of luck to you too. Any last minute betting advice ;)
    tang1 wrote: »
    +1, very best of luck Sunday Mark. Give it welly.

Cheers B. I plan too :)
    Best of luck to yourself and Mrs Mc on Sunday, M... no doubt you will bring home that t-shirt!!! And no doubt Mrs Mc will do the family proud too!

Thanks Anna. I'll take a course PB as a good day, a distance PB as a great day and a t-shirt as a miracle:)

p.s. If you were ignoring my comments there would be no p.s. Just saying :)

p.p.s. Just in charge tomorrow I am afraid.

p.p.p.s. miracles can happen btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Sure I always do the fam proud Anna ! Won't be going for the t-shirt myself but hear there is a lovely mug for the finishers !

• Advertisement

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Sure I always do the fam proud Anna ! Won't be going for the t-shirt myself but hear there is a lovely mug for the finishers !

Well yes, we know you are the real star, Mrs. Mc!! you will have a lovely PB mug on Sunday! hope you have a great day!

Nice week there M (an 8-day week even). Best of luck to ye on Sun. D

Nice week there M (an 8-day week even). Best of luck to ye on Sun. D

Cheers D. Looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭alphonse mephisto

That's good stuff!

Another one who is putting the solid work in here, best of luck the weekend M

• Advertisement
Advertisement