Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

That's good stuff!

Thanks AM.
    Duanington wrote: »
    Another one who is putting the solid work in here, best of luck the weekend M

Cheers D. Now let's see if I can make the hard yards count :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Bring home that t shirt M, you're in good shape.

Jesus has ur missus started a log too, the way it's going around here we might as well start couples logs :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Best of luck tomorrow FBOT (+Mrs FBOT too!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I read your result on another thread. You monster!
    I better get my ass in gear if I want to catch up with you!

Great running.
    Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great result, M, well done!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done Mark, thats savage running. Shows the hard work & dedication is worth it, sub 60 in Mullingar in July if its in your plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭paddybarry

Savage result on a tough course. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice PB there Mark, great result. Must have been that session I put you through the other night. ;)

BTW Mrs FBOT finished strongly in 1:35:32 which is 4 mins off her PB.

FBOT01 wrote: »

Brilliant, great stuff Mrs Mc!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Mrs fbot must if gave me the tap tap on the home straight..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

annapr wrote: »
    Brilliant, great stuff Mrs Mc!!! :D
    Thanks Anna was a great course would definately do it again. Off to have a few scoops now to celebrate !

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Thanks Anna was a great course would definately do it again. Off to have a few scoops now to celebrate !

Well earned! Enjoy the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Excellent display today. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done M, were you chatting the whole way along :)

TbL

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Mrs fbot must if gave me the tap tap on the home straight..

Hey Anto, I was wondering why I hadn't seen your name on the results or your face around Ballycotton and then I see you hugging TbL in Bohermeen.........so no Mrs FBOT didn't give you the tap tap on the home straight on this occasion as your home straight and ours were a couple of hundred miles apart on Sunday :)

07/03/2015 - 4.3m @ 08:14 avg pace (Easy w/4/100m Strides)

A few easy miles before RD duty in St Anne's parkrun. Got to meet Paul Sinton-Hewitt parkrun founder who ran St Anne's parkrun on Saturday. Nice bloke and very enthusiastic. Great to see him head back up the finishing straight and cheer his fellow parkrunners home when he was done. Also got to witness Killerz cruise to a 17:09 PB and first place finish (showing off in front of the Boss, IMO:P). Plenty of bodies from around here there on Saturday. Murph was toeing the line and in good form while Mrs FBOT, Ferris B and Pawed Rig where donning their smiles and the Hi Vis Jackets as volunteers to keep the parkrun show on the road.

08/03/2015 - Ballycotton 10 - 01:01:23 (126th place overall/9th M45)

Report to follow when I get chance to write it:(

09/03/2015 - 5.3m @ 09:29 avg pace (Recovery)

Given the miserable weather in Ballycotton I left this one until I returned to the big smoke. Legs were stiff after race effort and the drive back. Other than that and the cold breeze nothing to report.

10/03/2015 - 7m @ 09:01 avg pace (Recovery)

Another gentle recovery run on a cold crisp evening. Should have worn the gloves as I couldn't feel my fingers by the time I got home.

11/03/2015 - 7m @ 08:26 avg pace (Very Easy)

Took in the same loop as the previous night and it felt a little easier and pace turned out to be a little quicker. I have been pretty much running on feel for the last few days and it is nice to see the pace slowly improve which I presume means the recovery is progressing in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done in Ballycotton Mark!
    I ran the Bohermeen HM and have noticed it is taking a few days to recover from that too.
    No doubt you'll be sorted by the weekend!

belcarra wrote: »
    Well done in Ballycotton Mark!
    I ran the Bohermeen HM and have noticed it is taking a few days to recover from that too.
    No doubt you'll be sorted by the weekend!

Cheers, J. Yes I saw your smiling face amongst the Bohermeen pics. How did you get on?

• Advertisement

Cheers, J. Yes I saw your smiling face amongst the Bohermeen pics. How did you get on?

1:37:35 which I was quite happy with.
    Managed to keep very consistent splits while pushing myself most of the way. I think I probably ran it almost as well as I could have without going too far into the red.
    Omagh HM at the end of the month where I'll attack sub 1:35.

Managed to keep very consistent splits while pushing myself most of the way. I think I probably ran it almost as well as I could have without going too far into the red.

We might see you in Omagh... is your OH doing it too?

We might see you in Omagh... is your OH doing it too?

That's great Anna! She sure is, it's her local!
    See ye there so!

Nice one. I will keep an eye out for you Omagh result. Best of luck with it.

12/03/2015 -12.89m @ 08:08 avg pace (MLR - Easy)

Wet and miserable out there this evening. Glad that I put the second T-Shirt on. Hand and feet went numb after a while and even now typing the fingers on my right hand are buzzing with pins and needles and are white pale. Despite the cold and the rain I really enjoyed this run and legs felt pretty good. Focused on getting a good stride going and paid very little attention to the watch.

I am away at the weekend and unlikely to get the chance to do any sort of long run so this gets my jantastic long run out of the way for this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Savage result at the weekend M - well done !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Mrs Mc wrote: »

Hi! Well done! (Helen from Raheny here!) Sorry I didn't see you on Sunday.

13/02/2015 - 8.9m @ 08:09 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

Joined Ferris B for a few miles this evening. Nice easy pace out and back along the sea front. Enjoyable run in company on a lovely evening. What a difference a day can make when it comes to Irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hi! Well done! (Helen from Raheny here!) Sorry I didn't see you on Sunday.
    Hi Helen was looking out for you bumped into a few of the Raheny shamrocks at the start line great day really enjoyed the race will definately do it again.

14/03/2015 - 5m @ 09:08 avg pace (Recovery)

Busy day ahead so got out early for this one. A bit of a slog along the sea front, over to East point and back on the grass. Chose the grass for a change as the legs were quite stiff. Ankles took a good mile to loosen out enough to allow me to try to transition from shuffle to run by the time I turned for home. The shorts and t may have been a bit optimistic. Hands were frozen by time I got home. Now it's off to Venice for Mrs FBOT and I. Happy Days:)

Nice! Enjoy the break, M and MrsM.

• Advertisement

15/03/2015 - 4.7m @ 08:25 (Easy)

Nice early morning run along the waterfront in Venice. Beautiful crisp morning in a fabulous setting. Plenty of runners out doing their bit. The way back was a bit messy when the day trippers coming off the ferries had to be navigated.

Spent the rest of the day walking around Venice eating, drinking and taking in the sights including the obligatory Gondola trip. Sun was splitting the stones but for some reason nobody else felt the need to enjoy it in short sleeves. At one stage some old Italian Lady muttered something for under her fur hat and coat……I’d like to think it was complementary but given the expression that went with it, it was more likely something along the lines of “Are you f*cking nuts??” or “Get a coat on, ya f*cking eejit!!”

16/03/2015 - 10m @ 09:04 (Easy)

It was like someone turned the tap overnight in Venice and it was p*ssing rain and quite cold today. Armed with gloves and a rain jacket I headed out for a couple of miles before lunch ………..long story short my couple of miles turned into 10. Venice can be a difficult city to navigate without the assistance of the sun so explored more of it than I had planned to. Very enjoyable run in rain. Didn’t meet any other runners today and got a few strange looks one again albeit for a different reason. Pace and distant were irrelevant and I am not sure how accurate the garmin would be anyway given the narrow streets and tall buildings.

Got back before Mrs FBOT had gotten worried enough to call the cops.

17/03/2015 – 8.8m @ 08:12 (Easy)

Travelled home this morning and joined Ferris for a few easy miles in the evening.

18/03/2015 – 5.1m @ 08:11 (Recovery w/9x100m Strides)

Just did what it said on the tin. Threw the strides in at the end to try to get the legs moving a bit more freely. Might try some sort of session tomorrow as I have done anytime faster than 8min pace since Ballycotton.

I was going to be really jealous of your first run in Venice... you almost redeemed yourself with the rain on day 2... but not quite!!! Sounds like a great trip!

19/03/2015 - 13.40m @ 08:00 avg pace (VO2 Max w/3x1200 @ 5k RI180 and 3x800 @ 3k RI120)

With Ecolii no longer around here to blag advice off I invested in Pfitzinger's New 5k to HM Book. Only got it today so haven't read it yet but decided to jump to the 10k Schedules and get a session for this evening.

Set workout up on the watch and it worked for a change. After a 3 mile warm-up I was off. First 3 Reps were out towards Sutton along seafront. Concentrated on getting consistent arm movement going. This helped to keep me relaxed and the legs just followed. Pace was tough but manageable. Turned back for the next 3 reps. Small amount of wind but nothing that should impact pace greatly. 1st 800 was tough but OK. I had to really work on the second one and the watch kept telling me to speed up. Form started to drift as I tried to hold pace. Last one didn't feel as bad but that was probably because it was the last one. I had a full stride going at this stage and was blowing hard. Considered a walk recovery after the last one but managed to keep the jog going.

Bumped into Ferris during my cool-down so joined him for a couple of miles. Should have checked what he was doing before I joined him. He was doing some tempo stuff so had to speed up again to keep up.

When I got home my youngest asked if I fancied doing a couple more miles with her so who was I to say no. Brought the dog along on this one to avoid having to go out again later to walk him.....enjoyable mix bag of a run that all told ended up at 13.4miles. So that is my distant run for Jantastic sorted and it is only Thursday:)

Avg Paces for the 1200s were 05:52/05:52/05:48 while the 800s were 05:43/05:44/05:37. I'll take those for the moment.

Good thing you didn't bump into anyone else or you could have been running all night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

After a 3 mile warm-up I was off. First 3 Reps were out towards Sutton along seafront.

Was that yourself wearing leggings and a greenish jacket, heading out toward Sutton cross last night ?

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Was that yourself wearing leggings and a greenish jacket, heading out toward Sutton cross last night ?

Nope afraid not. I am a shorts and t-shirt man. Although I did have a green t-shirt on yesterday.

Nope afraid not. I am a shorts and t-shirt man. Although I did have a green t-shirt on yesterday.

Same here :D

Was on the coast Rd, last night heading out toward Sutton Cross and clipping along nicely @7:00ish, and the aforementioned guy drops me like im standing still... :eek: Though it might be you, as that seems to be your stomping ground also.

Same here :D

Was on the coast Rd, last night heading out toward Sutton Cross and clipping along nicely @7:00ish, and the aforementioned guy drops me like im standing still... :eek: Though it might be you, as that seems to be your stomping ground also.

If it was me you would have caught up easily during my recoveries :)

A couple of speedy lads out there alright last night. I think Thursday is Tempo night for them :pac::pac:

20/03/2015 - 40mins (Recovery with Dog)

Watch was all over the place but know I did 40mins and it was slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Good thing you didn't bump into anyone else or you could have been running all night!

I wouldn't worry about him, his 'cool down' pace seemed to match my tempo pace so it was no trouble to him as evidenced by all the chat from him while I was losing a lung.

• Advertisement

21/03/2015 - 3m @ 08:21 avg pace/parkrun St. Anne's (19:33)

Rolled over when the alarm went off and decided an extra 45mins in bed would be better for me than an extra 5m before parkrun St Anne's this morning. When I did eventually roll out of the bed I headed the long way around park to get in 3 warm-up miles.

The perfect running weather brought out 300+ parkrunner this morning. I linked up with Ferris who had another comeback PB on the agenda while I would be happy with a sub 20 with no desire to enter the painzone. We started mid pack to avoid temptation. We got a good rhythm going and worked through the field finishing in the top 20, me with my sub 20 (19:33) and Ferris with another comeback PB. Good run. Really enjoyed it.

Said a quick Hello to Murph and congratulated him on his Bundoran 10 performance before we went our separate ways Murph and Ferris to do their cool down and me to the cafe to drink coffee and eat scones:)

Then it was home for a 7hour marathon Rugby watching session on the couch. Super day of sport and nice to be on the right side of the outcome.

22/03/2015 - 15.25m @ 07:50 avg pace (10 Easy/5 Steady)

Headed out this morning with no plan other than to do 90-120mins of running. Ended up heading out to the end of the south wall. Something I had never done before and have been meaning to do for a long time. Given the day that was in it the views were stunning.

Easy miles were grand but the steady miles probably weren't steady enough.

Ended up heading out to the end of the south wall. Something I had never done before and have been meaning to do for a long time. Given the day that was in it the views were stunning.

South Wall ???

South Wall ???

The opposite side of Liffey to Bull Wall.

23/03/2015 - 1m @ 09:22 avg pace (Recovery with Dog)

Tweaked something in my left shoulder doing some heavy lifting earlier in the day so ended up aborting this run after 1 mile and walked home as I was struggling with managing the dog while running.

24/03/2015 - 8m @ 08:14 avg pace (Easy w/2x(5x150m Strides) RI240 between sets)

Met up with Ferris for this one. Hit one of the usual out and back routes along the seafront and did the strides on the way back. Left calf/ankle stiffened up considerably on the cool down. Something I often experience in the warm-up but not during the cool down. One to watch. Shoulder settled down fine from the previous day so no residual problem there.

South Wall ???

Obviously a dyed-in-the-wool northsider. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) :)

25/03/2015 - 8.3m @ 08:01 avg pace (Easy)

Joined Ferris again for this one. Good to be back running regularly with someone who can out talk me. Managed to get this in before the rain which was a bonus.

Left ankle tight/stiff for first mile but settle OK after that.

26/03/2015 - 7m @ 08:55 avg pace (Recovery)

Lunchtime recovery slog around regular Coast Rd/Howth Rd loop.

I think the ankles/achilles are just symptoms and the issue is with my calves. Need to get back drinking water and stretching on a more regular basis.

Stretching? What's that?

27/03/2015 - 4.3m @ 08:32 avg pace (Recovery)

Gentle lunchtime recovery. Nothing to report.

• Advertisement

28/03/2015 - 6:43m @ 08:14 avg pace (parkrun Cabinteely Warm-up)/ parkrun Cabinteely @ 19:40 (3rd finisher) / 4.3m @ 08:50 (parkrun Cabinteely Cool Down)

Ferris and I headed off to the inaugural parkrun Cabinteely this morning. Warm-up consisted on 1m to Dart Station, Dart to Sydney Paraade and then 5m up to Cabinteely Park. We took the shortcut home (4.3m) by getting Dart back from Seapoint.

Arrived in plenty of time to get introduced to the hill which you have to hit 3 times in total. Plenty of smiling volunteers buzzing around spearheaded by Marthastew and ably assisted by Mr Stew and Meno among others.

The start is downhill and when I looked at the watch a couple of 100m in it was saying 5:15 avg pace. Pulled it back and decided I would sit back a little and save my energy for the climb back up. After the downhill I was about 6/7th by the time we got up the hill the first time I was up to 4th. Paid very little attention to the watch as this course is not a PB course if your PB was set in St Anne's :)

Kept it nice and steady for the 2nd lap just keeping the gap with the 3rd place guy. There was nobody behind that looked like catching us. After we got up the hill the second time I decide to use the downhill to close the gap a little which I did and when we were running along the bottom of the course into the wind the 3rd place guy was coming back to me all the time. Then I noticed that the 2nd place guy was also coming back quickly. So as we turned towards the hill for the last time I passed the 3rd guy at speed to discourage him from tagging along and ste about trying to catch the 2nd guy on the climb. I was making good ground but the finish line came to quickly. The 2nd guy put on a burst over the last 20/30m which was enough to hold me off. He finished 19:38 and I was clocked at 19:40.

Headed off for well deserved coffee and cakes and a catch-up before hitting the road back to DNS.

Well done to all. Happy helpful and friendly volunteers, great setting and lovely cafe as well...........now if they can flatten out the hill and call off the wind for future events as promised by MS in her pre-run briefing, all will be perfect. Worth the trip.

Advertisement