Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice podium, M. Well run. I see Ferris had a good finish too. Nice going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I see you managed a volunteer credit too... you really want that purple t-shirt :)

(reads post very carefully before finalising)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice podium, M. Well run. I see Ferris had a good finish too. Nice going.

Cheers D.
    annapr wrote: »
    I see you managed a volunteer credit too... you really want that purple t-shirt :)

(reads post very carefully before finalising)

I am long past the purple t-shirt, Anna. I had the chance to get a clipboard and look important so I couldn't pass it up :)

29/03/2015 - 12m @ 08:42 avg pace (MLS - Med-Long Shuffle)

Horrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Fair play on the time and the podium, especially considering you had a considerable warm up run and a few miles home again too. Nice going.

• Advertisement

30/03/2015 - 4.3m @ 08:55 avg pace (Recovery)

Not as horrible as Sunday.

Horrible in what way? Feeling the weather or feeling under the weather? :)

Horrible in what way? Feeling the weather or feeling under the weather? :)

Less horrible in that the rain wasn't as miserable, piercing or cold yesterday and the legs were just tired rather than tired and sore.........progress:)

I am hoping that the sun stays out today and that the legs make the similar improvements before hitting the road this evening.

Doesn't look like I am getting my wish in relation to the weather :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Doesn't look like I am getting my wish in relation to the weather :(

its grand now....oh wait, here's the rain....grand again...oh $hite, here's the hail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Duanington wrote: »
    its grand now....oh wait, here's the rain....grand again...oh $hite, here's the hail

haha, just thinking the same. I'd take 'right now'. Hope it stays this way...

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'd take 'right now'. Hope it stays this way...

You and me both Meno !

31/03/2015 - 7m @ 07:52 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

7 miles, no rain and the easy pace turned out to be under 8mins.........things are looking up and its only Tuesday:)

Left my watch in my folks yesterday so no watch this evening. Can't remember the last time I ran watchless....kinda liberating!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Duanington wrote: »
    You and me both Meno !

It didn't. The hailstones reappeared mid session and I had my shorts on :(

menoscemo wrote: »
    It didn't. The hailstones reappeared mid session and I had my shorts on :(

But it gives you Boards bragging rights... you're not a real runner unless you've been pounded by hailstones...

But it gives you Boards bragging rights... you're not a real runner unless you've been pounded by hailstones...

Been there done that...I'll take the dry t-shirt today;)

01/04/2015- 5.2m @ 09:01 avg pace (Recovery)

Straightforward recovery run. Head cold/sore throat starting.

02/04/2015 - 9.1m @ 07:46 avg pace (VO2 Max 4x800 RI120/3x600 RI90 @ 5k/3k Pace)

After Ballycotton I registered for Great Ireland and jumped into last 5 weeks of a Pfitzinger 10K program so this week only had one session as the program "tapers" to the goal race. Wasn't feeling great and with blocked nose I wasn't sure if I would be able to breath enough to do this. Anyway zipped up the man suit and headed out. After 3m warm-up I got to it. Did the intervals along the coast between causeway and end of Howth Road, alternating with and against the wind. Reps split out as follows:
    800 - 02:48 (05:36 pace)
    800 - 02:47 (05:34 pace)
    800 - 02:50 (05:40 pace)
    800 - 02:46 (05:32 pace)
    600 - 02:06 (05:32 pace)
    600 - 02:07 (05:35 pace)
    600 - 02:01 (05:19 pace)

800's were off 2mins jog recovery while 600 were off 90secs. Was very happy how it went and felt invigorated afterwards despite the serious quads burn at the end. Nice easy 1.5m cool-down.

03/04/2015 - 7.1m @ 08:49 avg pace (Recovery)

Plan had 4m recovery but ended up joining Ferris for this one and it turned into 7m. Quad still feeling the effects of the session the day before.

04/04/2015 - 4.2m @ 07:56 avg pace (parkrun St Anne's 25mins pacing w/warm-up)

Man suit needed again today. Never good when you have to take lozenges on the startline to try to numb the throat and avoid coughing during your run.

Bumped into Duanington before and after this one and he looked equally fresh before and after smashing his 5k PB and going sub 18 for the first time. Ferris and Murph were also in action.

I seemed to be losing the battle with head cold/throat so hit the hay early to try to sleep it off as running it off didn't seem to be working.

05/04/2015 - Rest

With 28/12/2014 being the last day that I hadn't run I decided to break the streak to try to stem the progress of whatever bug is trying to get me. Walking the dog is as much exercise as I got today. Throat felt like I had gargled bleach. Chucking every possible remedy at this one...pharmaceutical, herbal , etc. Still think I am losing.

06/04/2015 - 5m @ 08:11 avg pace (w/4x100m plus 800m @ 10K Pace)

Spent the morning in St Anne's cheer-leading at the Brian Boru 10m. Lovely morning for supporting. A little warm for racing. Plenty of folks from around these parts putting in good performances. Well done to both runners and the organisers.

After being inspired by the morning activities I headed back to the house and threw on the gear. As this was the only session in the plan for this week I didn't want to skip it. It should have been 6m miles with 1200m at 10k Race Pace. Got as far as 800m in the RP section and pulled the plug as the effort levels where too high. I was struggling to get air in without feeling the urge to cough and aggravating what felt like needles on the inside of my throat.

07/04/2015 – Rest

Looks like the bug may be moving south with a noticeable rattle in the chest now. Energy levels very low. Poor auld dog didn't even get his walk. I am hoping a couple of rest days will shake it off and that I will be able toe the line on Saturday fresh as a daisy.

08/04/2015 - Rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Doesn't sound great, look after it & hopefully it'll be all systems go for you Saturday.

Oh no, hope you feel better....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck on Saturday, hope you're healthy for it. Thanks for support on Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Get well soon M.
    I thought the race was on Sunday?
    Extra day to recover if so ;)

tang1 wrote: »
    Doesn't sound great, look after it & hopefully it'll be all systems go for you Saturday.
    Oh no, hope you feel better....
    Best of luck on Saturday, hope you're healthy for it. Thanks for support on Monday!
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Get well soon M.
    I thought the race was on Sunday?
    Extra day to recover if so ;)

Cheers Folks. To be fair it is more of an annoyance than anything else. Only thing it is having a real impact on is my running:(

It's Saturday alright, P. But not til 13:30 so half a day extra to recover:)

09/04/2015 - 5.3m @ 08:21 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

Doc gave me the all clear that whatever I have hasn't gone to my chest so headed out for a few easy miles with Ferris this evening.

I thought the legs might feel fresh after the couple of days rest but didn't seem to be any noticeable difference. Had to clear the throat a couple of times....not pretty. If you see me running on Saturday make sure you pass on my right side as I "clear" to the left :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I think I was unfortunately once caught behind you as you "cleared" to the rear :)

TbL

Good luck with it M

If you see me running on Saturday make sure you pass on my right side as I "clear" to the left :D

I had the wonderful experience of being downwind and left of a particularly inconsiderate snot clearer in Omagh recently. Very near miss! :eek:

Good luck tormorrow M, and as you say yourself ENJOY.

Best of luck tomorrow.
    Go get the 10k pb honours to add to the 10m.
    I'll be taking them back in the summer ;)

Good luck tomorrow, M, hope all goes well! and best of luck to Mrs Mc too, if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck tormorrow M, and as you say yourself ENJOY.

Cheers B.
    Best of luck tomorrow.
    Go get the 10k pb honours to add to the 10m.
    I'll be taking them back in the summer ;)

Thanks P. How low do I have to go to take that one:)
    Good luck tomorrow, M, hope all goes well! and best of luck to Mrs Mc too, if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers Anna.

• Advertisement

Thanks P. How low do I have to go to take that one:)

37:06 and it's yours (for a short period of time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

All the best man! Have a gud un!:)

Good luck Mark. I know you will enjoy!

37:06 and it's yours (for a short period of time)

10 days ago I would have almost being willing to put money on hitting that but the run in hasn't gone to plan so I will wait and see tomorrow.
    All the best man! Have a gud un!:)

Cheers NE.
    Good luck Mark. I know you will enjoy!

Thanks D. Sure if you can't enjoy it you might as well jack it in ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Good luck tomorrow FBOTs (Mr and Mrs)

Good luck tomorrow M - hopefully see you in there

• Advertisement

You might find an interesting shot or two here. :)

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A3532ODWw0hIo

Nearly didn't recognise him without the shades!!

Cheers D. I see you got Ferris's best side anyway:D

Nearly didn't recognise him without the shades!!

It was a lot more than the shades there were missing today, B. Sh*te day at the office saw me cross the line in 39:3*.

Cheers D. I see you got Ferris's best side anyway:D

Didn't capture his face but I think I got his distinctive arm motion. :)

• Advertisement

It was a lot more than the shades there were missing today, B. Sh*te day at the office saw me cross the line in 39:3*.

Its a pig of a route in fairness & weather conditions sure didn't help you, plus you have a dose/getting over a dose.

Its a pig of a route in fairness & weather conditions sure didn't help you, plus you have a dose/getting over a dose.

All the above and then some....I'll chalk it down as experience and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

God not my best photo moment ! Thanks for the shout out D it was much appreciated after that hard slog today !

Mrs Mc wrote: »

God not my best photo moment ! Thanks for the shout out D it was much appreciated after that hard slog today !

How did you get on A??? Tough day out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

How did you get on A??? Tough day out there?

It was so windy Anna made the hills that much tougher didn't get an overall pb but got a course pb 2 mins off last year so not a bad day at the office !

Well it was the en of the race - there's one from the beginning too that you might prefer. :)

Not to worry M, plenty of easier routes coming up for you to PB on...hopefully on calmer days too !

It was so windy Anna made the hills that much tougher didn't get an overall pb but got a course pb 2 mins off last year so not a bad day at the office !

Good woman, well done.

(M...sorry for hijacking the log!)

Official Time - 39:32
    Overall Position - 211

I suppose the idea of these logs is to record the good and bad and learn from them all......so here goes with a bad one.

Prerace
    After coming through 10k in Ballycotton in 38:11 I decided to sign up for this race to have a go at officially bringing down my 10K PB which stood at 38:42 and was set in July 2014. Training so far this year was going well. I was averaging 50 miles per week and getting at least 2 quality session in each week. A couple of weeks ago I had a rough plan in my head to go out at 6min pace and then either hang on or push on depending on how the hills went.

I picked up a bit of a dose (sore throat/cough/sinus/head cold type thing) about 10 days ago and despite trying rest, drugs, etc. I just couldn't shake it and energy level were very low last week. Even went to Doc to check my chest was clear before deciding on final plan. So after another night of coughing, etc. on Friday night I had 3 options for Saturday's race;
    1. Opt out and not run;
    2. Run with Ferris who was looking at another come back PB of around 41mins and try to enjoy the run;
    3. Ignore the last 10 days and stick to the original plan of going out at 6mins pace and risk ending up trying to flog a dead horse over the last couple of miles.
    ...and of course I chose option 3!!

Race
    Arrived in plenty of time, wished Mrs FBOT good luck and then got a couple of miles warm-up done in the company of Ferris and a couple of other lads.

Miles 1-3 (06:02/06:05/05:55)
    Slotted into the orange coral, popped a strepsil in my mouth and then squeezed my way up to a good starting position. Headed off at the gun and got up to pace pretty quickly but even at this early stage the legs felt like jelly and I knew things were going to be tough as soon as I hit military hill. Anyway carried on regardless, tried to grab shelter from the wind where I could and kept the effort level up at race pace. Didn't pay too much attention to the watch other than to glance at it when it beeped at the end of each mile. Went through 5k in 18:5x which all else considered wasn't bad.

Miles 4-6.2 (06:36/06:54/06:22/01:37)
    Turned up Military Hill I could feel the wheels come off very quickly. My legs just had nothing and I have to say my head didn't have too much to give either. I would normally be a pretty good uphill runner and would generally be passing rather than getting passed at this stage. However, I got passed by more people in the next 2 miles than I cared to try to count. I made a few token efforts to tag on the back of some of those passing me but couldn't get anything going. When I finally got to the 9k mark I mustered as much as I could to claw back a few places but at this stage I knew that a PB was long gone and that sub 40 was going to be achieved so nothing really to gain by flogging the horse completely to death. I did go toe to toe with one DSD guy from about 800m out and had taken 10yards on him by the 400m mark but when he came back at me with 200 to go I just sat on his shoulder and didn't even try to accelerate again before the line. Even Murph's shout of encouragement failed to ignite any final push.

I crossed the line and spent the next 5/10mins trying to avoid dislodging a lung from coughing. I then joined up with the crew all of whom seemed happy enough with their effort and results for the day.

This was my first time doing this race which was well organised, well supported and had a good buzz around it. Tough enough course and conditions but neither were the deciding factors on the outcome of my day. Sometimes thing just don't go to plan and for me this was just one of those events.

Next up....I think I will sign up for the Terenure 5 as my May race.

Look on the bright side M.
    At least you didn't upset me by beating my pb :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement