Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's a nice parkrun there, M. You certainly looked like you were giving it plenty of welly coming through the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Murph_D wrote: »
    That's a nice parkrun there, M. You certainly looked like you were giving it plenty of welly coming through the line!

First finisher in the ladies category?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

15/06/2015 - Rest

16/06/2015 - 7.62m @ 08:35 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

A few nice easy lunchtime miles in the company of Yaboya. It was warm out there.

17/06/2015 - 4m @ 08:54 avg pace (Recovery)

Exactly what it said on the tin.

18/06/2015 - 9m @ 07:59 avg pace (VO2Max - 4x800 RI120/ 3x600 RI90 @ 5K RP)

This was the only session on the plan for this week so was determined to work at it. Recent parkrun have shown my 5K RP to be closer to 06:00 rather than my PB pace from earlier in the year which was 05:46. Based on this the aim was to try to ensure the pace started with a 5 rather than a 6 for each of the reps.

I did these on the grass around the Clontarf pitches in St Anne's. This meant that I had a mix of into and with the wind sections. The effort levels felt pretty high and the slower reps were the ones going into the breeze. Pace for the reps were as follows:

800's - 05:56/05:47/05:52/05:55
    600's - 05:58/05:55/05:45

Achieved the main aim of keeping pace below 06:00. Had to work really hard do this on the last 800 and first 600 in particular. Focusing on keeping form and pumping the arms without going eyeballs out helped deliver the required result.

Got sport massage later in the evening and was almost bouncing off the table when she was working on my calves despite all my recent stretching.

Still 100% on the stretching!

Finished off by heading into town to check out the revamped Docklands 5K. All seemed to be very well organised and the course looked fast. Congrats to all involved.

19/06/2015 - 5.29m @ 09:27 avg pace (Recovery)

Nice easy evening run in St Anne's.

20/06/2015 - 6m @ 08:08 avg pace (General Aerobic w/8x100m Strides) plus St Anne's parkrun (pacing 27mins)

Got my planned run in early before attending to my pacing duties at St Anne's parkrun. Did the strides up the hill at the seafront corner of the park? Its been a while since I used this hill. This used to be the venue for all my strides a couple of years ago. Good spot will be back using it again over the summer.

21/06/2105 - 9m @ 08:03 avg pace (General Aerobic)

After eventually dragging myself out of the bed an hour later than planned I enjoyed a nice trot up as far as DCU and back. The route up has a nice drag and is probably a good simulation for Crumlin Road in October.

22/06/2015 - 7.2 m @ 07:43 avg pace (Race + Speed w/4x100m Strides & 1200m @ 5m RP)

Wasn't feeling the love for this one but it was the final tune-up session for Saturday. Headed out along the seafront to do it. Did the strides when I turned at Sutton and then went straight into the 1200. The last two strides felt good but the 1200m was tough. The pace for the 1200m was 05:57 which was just about in the zone. Hopefully the race environment and the thrill of the chase will help me bang the 5m out at that pace on Saturday. If I can get the head in the game I'd be hopeful that the legs can do their bit :)

23/06/2015 - 6m @ 08:01 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

The rest of this week is just about keeping things ticking over.

24/06/2015 - 5.15m @ 09:21 avg pace (Recovery)

A good old fashion NHS around St Anne's.

25/06/2015 - Rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck Saturday Mark.

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck Saturday Mark.

Cheers B. No shout out on the finish straight this year.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Cheers B. No shout out on the finish straight this year.

Your were doing it as part of your LSR last year and still wiped the floor with me!!

Good luck in the AM Mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Good luck tomorrow hopefully I'll be able to shout you up the Furze :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Hope it all goes to plan tomorrow.

Try and keep some of the young lads in check

TbL

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good luck in the AM Mark.

Thanks, D. Same to you. Hopefully see you in there.
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Best of luck!

Cheers, P. Don't work too hard tomorrow :)
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow hopefully I'll be able to shout you up the Furze :)

Thanks, DG. If I don't look like I am going to pass out on the Furze then give me a kick in the a$$ as I am not trying hard enough :D
    Hope it all goes to plan tomorrow.

Try and keep some of the young lads in check

TbL

Cheers, C. You mean try to keep some of the Auld Lads in check. Ferris will be toeing the line sandbags in tow and Murph has had a very good YTD :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thanks, D. Same to you. Hopefully see you in there.

Cheers, P. Don't work too hard tomorrow :)

Thanks, DG. If I don't look like I am going to pass out on the Furze then give me a kick in the a$$ as I am not trying hard enough :D

Cheers, C. You mean try to keep some of the Auld Lads in check. Ferris will be toeing the line sandbags in tow and Murph has had a very good YTD :pac::pac:

Sure isn't Murph now having difficulty keeping his missus in check ;)

Say hi to Ferris for me.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Remember M, ENJOY!!! And Mrs Mc too. See you tomorrow at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

All the best man, have a gud un!

Sure isn't Murph now having difficulty keeping his missus in check ;)

Say hi to Ferris for me.

TbL

Sure is that not the same for us all!!

Will pass on your greeting to Mr B.

annapr wrote: »
    All the best man, have a gud un!

Cheers, folks. I am hoping to enjoy and have a gud un :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

annapr wrote: »

Good luck to you and D tomorrow too see you in the park !

Official Time - 30:30
    Overall Position - 77
    Category Position - 7

A ways off the target of Sub 30 but you get out what you put in and today I just couldn't get my head in the game so never really got into the "painzone". For me to get sub 30 I needed to be well into the painzone. The fact I could spot Bungy Girl in the last 400m and say "Hello" to her says it all.

Pre-race
    Forgot the watch which didn't bother me too much as it was a chance to just run and see where it got me. Arrived early and caught up with a few bodes beforehand. Then wished Mrs FBOT and the crew good luck and headed out the North Road for a warm-up with Ferris and KennyG. Then after quick hello to Murph I lined up in Wave 1. Moved up to about 10 rows form the front. Here I spotted withcheeseplease and AMK so knew I was in the right company. Reckoned if I could keep AMK in sight I wouldn't be too far off target.

Mile 1-2
    Tried to keep it steady from the off and run relaxed. Mile 1 felt OK but AMK who was beside me said it was a little quick. I decided to just keep running by feel. Was a little windy and warm but I was feeling OK.

Mile 3-4
    Down the Kyber and turned up onto Military Road. Felt the hill immediately and AMK moved ahead. He was pushing strongly up the hill. I lost a couple of places between here and the S bends and lost about 100m on AMK and the 3rd lady who had also pushed on strong after the 2 mile mark. Didn't expect to see either of them again until after the finish line. Mile 4 felt like a real struggle and just couldn't engage and find a rhythm. Historically I have been pretty good at getting on with it in the tough miles but not today.

Mile 5
    I knew sub 30 was gone at this stage but was looking for at least some moral victories by making some placing gains before the finish. Just after the 4 mile marker I was joined by a Crusaders runner who I know from parkrun. This woke me up a little and I picked the pace up at bit. At this stage I noticed that AMK seemed to be coming back to me. I thought to myself "maybe I can catch him" so I pushed on a little more but not in an eyeballs out type of way if you know what I mean. I just wasn't able to get to that level of intensity. The Crusaders guy passed me with about 200/300 to go and should've chased him but didn't. Don't know why. Maybe because I was to busy saying Hello to Bungy Girl. I did however still have my sights on AMK and managed to sneak by him in the last 50m.........hollow victory I know as he was cruising for home at that stage and certainly wasn't turning on that track speed of his. But hey on the days when all doesn't go to plan it the little things that matter :D

Met up with plenty of Boardies and St Anne's parkrunner afterwards and all seemed in good form........a few PBs, a few "course" PBs and a few who like me will live to fight another day. Great to see plenty of smiling faces enjoying themselves at a very well run event on a beautiful day in a wonderful location. WELL DONE TO ALL and a big THANK YOU to all the volunteers and supporters. See you in August for the Frank Duffy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Sounds like you enjoyed it though? I'm not a fan of park races in the heat so well done to everyone that raced today. Nice to put a face to the name!

Hard luck today, your capable of much better. Just an observation from following your log, you dont seem to have the same zest and drive this year for your running compared to last year? You dont have the drive to push on today when you know you should have, dont think last years Mark would have been like that? Maybe i'm way off, just the vibe i'm getting from reading your log of late.

Firedance wrote: »
    Sounds like you enjoyed it though? I'm not a fan of park races in the heat so well done to everyone that raced today. Nice to put a face to the name!

Yes I enjoyed the event if not the performance. Nice to meet both you and your 4 legged friend.........I see you edited the original post. Good call, you never know what TbL might come out with if you open that door for him :)
    tang1 wrote: »
    Hard luck today, your capable of much better. Just an observation from following your log, you dont seem to have the same zest and drive this year for your running compared to last year? You dont have the drive to push on today when you know you should have, dont think last years Mark would have been like that? Maybe i'm way off, just the vibe i'm getting from reading your log of late.

That's pretty spot on, B and fair comment. Glad to see you are paying attention :D

I was just having that conversation with Ferris this morning after the race. When you look back over where we were last year in both training and attitude we were much further down the road......at least he has a good excuse for being a little behind this year :)

Still its only June. The quest fro the Holy Grail begins again next week so will hopefully be pushing on from here.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice report- tough day at the office today - I dont think my singlet has ever been as soaked with sweat as it was today.
    You finished strong - fair play to you - I hadn't the energy to go after you.

There's always another race..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

should've chased him but didn't. Don't know why. Maybe because I was to busy saying Hello to Bungy Girl.

You make it sounds like I stopped you for a chat! Thought you looked a bit too comfortable all right. Next time I'll ignore you and you can go get that sub 30 :D.

29/06/2015 - 8m @ 07:57 avg pace (General Aerobic w/10x100m strides)

Lovely evening to kick off another marathon cycle. Started on week 2 of P&D 55-70 plan. Same one as I did twice last year and I enjoyed it.

Bumped into Killerz during mile 1 and tagged along with him for a couple of miles before making my way back to the coast to do the strides. Passed Duanington bouncing his way home from work. Good to see that it looks like his injuries are behind him.

No issue to note from this one.

Stretching still working well. Will be getting back to Pilates over the next couple of weeks and bringing in some strength training as well to address my ongoing hamstring/glut weaknesses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

29/06/2015 - 8m @ 07:57 avg pace (General Aerobic w/10x100m strides)

Lovely evening to kick off another marathon cycle. Started on week 2 of P&D 55-70 plan. Same one as I did twice last year and I enjoyed it.

Bumped into Killerz during mile 1 and tagged along with him for a couple of miles before making my way back to the coast to do the strides. Passed Duanington bouncing his way home from work. Good to see that it looks like his injuries are behind him.

No issue to note from this one.

Stretching still working well. Will be getting back to Pilates over the next couple of weeks and bringing in some strength training as well to address my ongoing hamstring/glut weaknesses.

What marathon are you targeting? Following the same plan I think.

adrian522 wrote: »
    What marathon are you targeting? Following the same plan I think.

All going well DCM is the target marathon for this year. You aiming towards DCM as well? You got a target in mind?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm going for Berlin in September, so I'm in week 6 of the plan right now. Possibly Dublin too, not sure yet. Looking at around 3:20 I think but that could change closer to the time.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm going for Berlin in September, so I'm in week 6 of the plan right now. Possibly Dublin too, not sure yet. Looking at around 3:20 I think but that could change closer to the time.

I did this plan for the first time last year in preparation for Berlin. Worked out very well although the end result was 60secs slower than target....sh!t happens and all that.

A few of us that did Berlin last year did Dublin as well. However, I don't think any of us raced both. I actually paced Dublin. Very enjoyable way to take part in my hometown event.

Nice MP session on Saturday. Best of luck with the rest of the plan I will be keeping an eye on your progress over the next few months. Berlin is a great event and well worth the trip.

30/06/2015 12m @ 07:49 avg pace (MLR - Progression)

Was joined by Ferris for the first 8 of these and as usual all was much easier in company. Very busy out along the coast. Did a couple of testing miles after leaving Ferris back up the Howth Road before turning downhill for the last mile home.

First of many Tuesday MLR runs over the next few months. Hopefully, they will all be in as pleasant conditions and uneventful in running terms:)

• Advertisement

I did this plan for the first time last year in preparation for Berlin. Worked out very well although the end result was 60secs slower than target....sh!t happens and all that.

A few of us that did Berlin last year did Dublin as well. However, I don't think any of us raced both. I actually paced Dublin. Very enjoyable way to take part in my hometown event.

Nice MP session on Saturday. Best of luck with the rest of the plan I will be keeping an eye on your progress over the next few months. Berlin is a great event and well worth the trip.

Cheers, I'd love to run Dublin slowly and just enjoy the day a bit more, try to take in a bit more of the atmosphere, high 5 some kids and eat some Jelly Babies. Enjoyed it last year but a lot of it is a bit of a blur in my mind as I was really hanging on at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

30/06/2015 12m @ 07:49 avg pace (MLR - Progression)

Was joined by Ferris for the first 8 of these and as usual all was much easier in company. Very busy out along the coast. Did a couple of testing miles after leaving Ferris back up the Howth Road before turning downhill for the last mile home.

First of many Tuesday MLR runs over the next few months. Hopefully, they will all be in as pleasant conditions and uneventful in running terms:)

Was it yourself that gave me a wave on the coast as we passed, between the wooden bridge and bull island? I had sunglasses, a bag and a blue race series top on

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Was it yourself that gave me a wave on the coast as we passed, between the wooden bridge and bull island? I had sunglasses, a bag and a blue race series top on

twas..........I notice you left out the bit where you had headphones in. The shame of it ;)

twas..........I notice you left out the bit where you had headphones in. The shame of it ;)

Haha, they came out before the raheny race don't worry :) I didn't think I'd be shunned for easy pace headphone wearing!! I thought it was you but wasn't 100% sure, as duanington can attest to I'm a waving at strangers liability :)

Haha, they came out before the raheny race don't worry :) I didn't think I'd be shunned for easy pace headphone wearing!! I thought it was you but wasn't 100% sure, as duanington can attest to I'm a waving at strangers liability :)

They are only strangers until you wave at them :)

I hear there was a big crowd at the 2 miler. How did you get on?

They are only strangers until you wave at them :)

I hear there was a big crowd at the 2 miler. How did you get on?

Yeah there was. Think a big crowd from liffey valley came out. Happy enough, 15:52 on the watch. Mrs Mc was chuffed too was she? She said she took some time off since the last time. Really great race, nice way to pass an evening.

Yeah there was. Think a big crowd from liffey valley came out. Happy enough, 15:52 on the watch. Mrs Mc was chuffed too was she? She said she took some time off since the last time. Really great race, nice way to pass an evening.

"Happy enough" sounds good to me. Well done.

Yep it is generally a well supported series and Mrs Mc really enjoys them, particularly when she PBs :)

"Happy enough" sounds good to me. Well done.

Yep it is generally a well supported series and Mrs Mc really enjoys them, particularly when she PBs :)

Cheers. Want to do one again now! Pbs do help with the enjoyment, fair play to her!

Been a bit slack with my updating lately and also was away for a week of warm weather training so took a break from Boards for the full week........no updating, no browsing, no lurking, nothing and hey it survived without me and I without it. Who'd have thought :)

Anyway back to the business of running:

01/07/2015 - 5.08m @ 08:41 avg pace (Recovery)

Out south for a GAA match and while they where doing their warm-up I took the opportunity to get my miles in. Was in Crumlin so decided to venture up as far as the Walkinstown roundabout and back. First time since October, I ran on this stretch and probably be October 2015 before I do it again.

02/07/2015 - 9.36m @ 08:04 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

03/07/2015 - 4.71m @ 08:50 avg pace (Recovery)

Squeezed this in before heading out for some cross training on the golf course which included a 4hr walk carrying golf clubs.

04/07/2015 - 16.1m @ 08:03 avg pace (LR)

This should have been 16 w/8 @ MP. I had to hit the road early as I had a mid morning appointment with a Ryanair flight to Faro. After a late evening game of golf the night before I could have done with a little more than the 5/6 hours sleep I got before this one.

Original plan was to do two loops of a local route with the second one at MP. Within the first mile I knew the MP was unlikely to happen and that if I did a local loop there was real chance that I would take an early out option when it came along. So plan changed to trying to ensure I at least got in 2 hours running and if possible the full 16miles. I headed into town and on out to Donnybrook as far a Nutley Lane before turning for home. Second half of the run was better than the first and did manage to get a few sub 7:30 miles in ( a ways off PMP which is 06:45). Pace slipped back a little when I hit the gale that was blowing on the Clontarf Coast...didn't envy any toeing the line for the Clonatrf Half.

I struggled with this run at this stage of the plan on the last two occasions I did it and I also had a hectic week with far less sleep than I should have had so I didn't lose any much needed sleep over not doing the MP miles. Got the miles in which I could very easily not have done the way I felt starting out. I will take that as the primary goal been achieved.

Warm weather training report to follow later.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Pace slipped back a little when I hit the gale that was blowing on the Clontarf Coast...didn't envy any toeing the line for the Clonatrf Half.

The return leg of the Half on the beach section was testing to say the least. Don't know what im complaining, cause its like that every year :mad:.

We do mostly the same long loop with when in Marathon prep stage, but take the turn at Merrion Gates and go back via the Strand Road, East link, Alfie Byrne, and the Clontarf Road. Think it gives up 19m with a bit of the Causeway added in...

• Advertisement

MisterDrak wrote: »
    The return leg of the Half on the beach section was testing to say the least. Don't know what im complaining, cause its like that every year :mad:.

We do mostly the same long loop with when in Marathon prep stage, but take the turn at Merrion Gates and go back via the Strand Road, East link, Alfie Byrne, and the Clontarf Road. Think it gives up 19m with a bit of the Causeway added in...

Yeah came back that way but turned off at Wongs rather than heading up to causeway.

Warm weather tarining consisted of a week in Portugal. Couldn't find a hill free mile to run so got plenty of hills in.

The running routine for the week was up and out by 7:15/7:30 and finished by 9:00 as it got pretty hot pretty quickly. The longer runs were planned to finished at the local shop which was aptly named "Oasis" where I had a bottle of Powerade and a magnum as my post run/pre breakfast treat. Best part of warm weather training. Only down side was that as we were on a family trip with a total of 12 people there was no early night option so sleep was a little less than optinum. Got the miles in although the pace was at the lower end of the range to account for the heat. Week broke down as follows:

05/07/2015 - Rest (Well needed)

06/07/2015 - 11.26m @ 08:08 avg pace (MLR)

07/07/2015 - 14.2m @ 08:14 avg pace (MLR)

Slight miscalculation and curiosity to reach the end of a particular road resulted in an extra mile. As it turned out there was a running track and cross country trial at the end of the said road. Running track was surrounded by tall buildings so had zero air and too hot to run on. good to know where it is if I ever returning during the winter.

08/07/2015 - 5.13m @ 09:31 avg pace (Recovery)

09/07/2015 - 9.16m @ 07:53 avg pace (General Aerobic)

This should have included 4m @ LT pace but terrain, heat and tirediness meant I could get up to speed so just reverted to a slightly quicker pace General Aerobic run.

10/07/2015 - 5.25m @ 09:09 avg pace (Recovery)

This brought my warm weather week to a close. Enjoyable weeks work.

11/07/2015 - 11.5m @ 08:00 avg pace (MLR??)

Back home for this one and after an mid-afternoon power nap I headed out for what should have been a 15 mile Progression Run. The week away ahd caught up on me and when my watch died at 9m I knew it wasn't going to get any better. At around 11.5m I had a pain in my back that felt like I got kicked in the kidneys so end up run walking for the next 1/2miles. When my daughter passed me in the car about a mile from home I flagged her down and bummed a lift home....wrote it off as just a bad day at the office but in total the week was OK.

12/07/2015 - Rest

13/07/2015 - 9.19m @ 08:01 avg pace (General Aerobic w/10x100m Hill Strides)

Still felt knackered and snook in a 30min power nap at lunchtime before heading out early evening for this. Strides went better than I thought they.

14/07/2015 - Rest

Life conspired against me and as I still flet wrecked I opted for an early night insetad of a late run.

15/07/2015 - 14.3m @ 07:41 avg pace (MLR - progression)

With early night in the bag I hit the road pre breakfast for this one. The early night option was the right call.

16/07/2015 - 3.71m @ 09:44 avg pace (Recovery with dog)

Buster overcooked on this one and we canned it early.

17/07/2015 - 11.93m @ 07:52 avg pace (MLR)

Another early run before heading off for the weekend camping down Wicklow direction. Energy levels slowly coming back.

18/07/2015 - Rest and a bit of hill walking.

19/07/2015 - 18.1m @ 07:35 avg pace (LR - Progression)

Jumped out of the car in Cherrywood on the way home and made my way back to Clontarf via Dunlaoghaire/Blackrock/Ballsbridge/D2 and then final past the Point and back along the Clontarf Road. Beautiful Day with loads of activties going on along my route. Felt pretty good throughout but could feel the strain on my lower back when the form started to come under pressure in the last couple of miles.

20/07/2015 - 4.5m @ 09:15 avg pace (Recovery)

Feeling tired after yesterdays long run so put today's LT run off til tomorrow and just did a few easy recovery miles.

Have been very bad on the stretching front over the last few week but am back on them since the weekend. Planning to kick off the Pliates and Yoga programme over the next week or so.

Tuesday 21/07/2015 - 9.1m @ 07:10 avg pace (LT w/5 @ 10MP)

Having taken the recovery day yesterday and getting in some stretching last night I took away all excuse I had to wimp out of this one. I decided to just head out and back along the coast and concentrate on form and effort and hitting the target rather than putting extra obstacles in my way.

During the 2.5m wu I had a few words with myself and agreed that there would be no wussing out this evening. P&D puts LT pace in the 10mile to HM pace range and on this cycle I have decided to push for 10mile rather than taking the easy out of HMP which I took last time around. 10mile pace for me is 06:06 but at this stage of the cycle I would take sub 06:15.

When I started the LT section I concentrated on form and tried to keep things loose rather than wrapping my shoulders around my ears as I often do. Focused on effort and only referred to the watch when it beeped at the end of each mile to make sure I was in the right zone. Felt really good through out this run and other than the last mile where I had to push a little harder to hold pace, I was "in control".

Splits were as follows:
    06:02
    06:11
    06:09
    06:12
    06:05

Gave myself the reward of a 30sec walk after the LT section, more a treat than a necessity and then smiled my way through the 1.5m cd home.

I have probably quoted this a few times before on this log..."relish the difficult days and it makes the good ones easier to appreciate"...I have relished a few runs over the last while and as a result I really appreciated tonight's run :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Nice work FBOT, warm and humid enough at the moment so it is difficult to execute those pace sessions.

Well done, M., serious mojo there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Very encouraging session early in your block, well done! Those sustained LT sessions in P&D are no joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I'm thinking of following the 12 week p&d 55-70 plan for Frankfurt in October. Must start actually looking at it! Which plan are you following Fbot? I'm doing around 50 miles a week at the moment so didn't want to commit to s plan too early. 12 weeks prep has worked out OK for me previously but I've never attempted a plan as tough as this!

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I'm thinking of following the 12 week p&d 55-70 plan for Frankfurt in October. Must start actually looking at it! Which plan are you following Fbot? I'm doing around 50 miles a week at the moment so didn't want to commit to s plan too early. 12 weeks prep has worked out OK for me previously but I've never attempted a plan as tough as this!

I am following 18 Week P&D 55-70. From Jan to Jun I was doing around 50 per week similar to you. Considered the 12 week plan but as I had nothing in particular planned for the other 6 weeks decided that the structured 18 weeks would be better. I did the same plan twice last year and other than not hitting my target in Berlin all went well :)

Will be interested to see how you get on with the 12 week version as in reality if you are doing the base mileage all year round that is probably enough specific training to get the job done. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Whats your target for Berlin FBOT/

Advertisement