Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

adrian522 wrote: »
    Was pretty hot yesterday alright ,even on my easy run I noticed I was slower than I'd normally be.

* May be because of laziness.

In fairness Adrian I don't think we were being lazy. Well I know I wasn't. Maybe Yaboya was? Were you just being lazy yesterday, P? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

FBOT01 wrote: »
    In fairness Adrian I don't think we were being lazy. Well I know I wasn't. Maybe Yaboya was? Were you just being lazy yesterday, P? :D

I wish!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I was referring to myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

yaboya1 wrote: »
    How long have you got?

Dublin Bus
    South Dublin County Council
    Fingal County Council
    DLR County Council
    Politicians.....etc.

Thank god I don't appear Anna !

Mrs Mc wrote:
    Thank god I don't appear Anna !

Etc........;)

14/08/2015 - 5m @ 08:52 avg pace (Recovery)

Lunchtime recovery run along the coast and into St Anne's. Nothing to report.

15/08/2015 - 21.5m @ 07:46 avg pace (Long Run - Progression)

Up and at it early for this one, hitting the road with nothing other than a small glass of water. Target was to be back at St Anne's parkrun to help out by 9:30/9:40.

The route I had in my head was up through Santry out past the Airport as far as the Estruary Roundabout then in through Malahide, Portmarnock and Baldoyle and finally along the coast to St Anne's. Hadn't checked the distance but had done it before last year and knew it would get me the planned 20 and maybe another one or two. Glorious morning and a perfect route choice for the day that was in it. Bit of a nip in the air when I started but warmed up nicely and before it got too warm and very accommodating cloud jumped in front of the sun to let me see out the run with no requirement for a water stop.

I would normally run these as progression run broken into 3 sections so for a 20miler it would be 7/7/6 @ avg pace of 08:00/07:40/07:20 give of take. After discussions on here earlier in the week I decided to run it with as little reference to the watch as possible so started the watch and then put it back to time. Only looked at the lap pace when it beeped after mile 5, 10 and 15 and I even lose count so didn't know until I stopped at St Anne's whether I had run 20 or 21. Turns out I did 21.5.

The results of the experiment were a pleasant surprise. It appears I am not as bad at running by feel as I thought. Was particularly delighted that when I moved between progression sections I moved into the right pace zone quite naturally. I wasn't surprised that I was a little off in the last section as the breeze started to become a factor and the last couple of miles along the coast where into a stiff head-on breeze. I could have pushed on a bit for this section and may have done so if I was checking the watch but the effort was good so I just held it solid.

Distance | Avg Pace | Splits | Comment
    7 miles | 08:07 | 08:40/08:13/08:07/08:01/07:53/08:02/08:02 | 1st mile was a wake up mile and the rest were uphill. Decent drag from the Coast to the Airport
    7 miles | 07:37 | 07:34/07:35/07:34/07:36/07:48/07:32/07:42 | Hip stiffened up after the downhill at Airside and took a mile or so to loosen out. Literally gave me a pain in my ****s during mile 9 (TMI I know but you need to record these things for future reference :))
    7.5 miles | 07:24 | 07:27/07:25/07:22/07:24/07:26/07:20/07:27/03:51 |

Felt pretty good throughout with the exception of the hip/glute pain/stiffness at mile 8/9. Am booked in for a sports massage so that should help work it out.

Arrived in St Anne's in plenty of time to do my duty before joining the crew for post-run coffee. When I got home I did the Hartman Stretches for good measure..........now what's the plan for the weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice run on a fairly testing route M, the mojo has returned by the looks of things, either that or you robbed Mrs Mc's!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Nice going. I got the P&D book and was flicking through it last night. Couldn't see any reference to Progression runs in the description of the MLR. Is this something you have added yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Nice work. I was at St Annes today (first time) did have a quick scout around to see if I'd recognise anyone but obviously not well enough!

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    Nice work. I was at St Annes today (first time) did have a quick scout around to see if I'd recognise anyone but obviously not well enough!

That's a pity didn't realise you were there I was marshalling at the corner of the tennis courts today.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    That's a pity didn't realise you were there I was marshalling at the corner of the tennis courts today.

Were you taking photos? Really enjoyed the route so will be back for sure :)

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Nice going. I got the P&D book and was flicking through it last night. Couldn't see any reference to Progression runs in the description of the MLR. Is this something you have added yourself?

They discuss it under long runs and then in relation to MLRs they just say do the same as long runs. They suggest long runs should start in the range MP+20% and finish in range MP+10%.....page 137/8 I think if you are on the same version as me.

Yep she was. I was at the car taking names of those who had problems scanning. Catch you next visit or might see you at the FD if you are floating around there next weekend.

Yep that was me !

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Yep that was me !

ah damm! I did wave the second time round but didn't realise it was you. Yep FBOT will be supporting at FD, without the dog this time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Etc........;)

yep looks like all the interesting stuff was in the 'etc' :cool:

16/08/2015 - Rest

Considered a recovery run but too much else going on so skipped it. Prioritised a bit of stretching to try to work out the hip/glute.

17/08/2015 - 6m @ 08:58 avg pace (Recovery) & 4m @ 09.05 avg pace (Recovery)

Another double day today. Felt proper focked when I woke up this morning. One of those days when no part of me wanted to run but I just got on with it. Lovely day and the afternoon run was actually quite pleasant. Took in the trails/grass in St. Anne's for the majority of both runs.

Sports massage this evening. She got to work straight away on the right hip/glute. It was jump off the table painful. I even had to stop talking at one stage so that should tell you how bad it was :eek::eek:

Everywhere else was just "normal" sore. Advice was to get back into regular stretching, do some core work and to keep the runs short ahead of Saturday's race......I will take the first two pieces of advice and sleep on the third suggestion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

All the best, M. I've a feeling this will be a good one. ;)

Murph_D wrote: »

+1 go forth and ENJOY!!!! :p

oh and good luck to the missis too!!!

annapr wrote: »
    +1 go forth and ENJOY!!!! :p

oh and good luck to the missis too!!!

Thanks Anna I presume I will see you there good luck to you and murph too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Hope you blast this M.

Best of luck

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

News???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    News???

His Time looks good to me!!

Hope you blast this M.

Best of luck

TbL

Cheers C.
    News???
    menoscemo wrote: »

Chip time 01:01:19....A PB and a silver medal:)

Happy out. Will stick up a race report later.

Missed you earlier, Meno. I hope you got on OK.

menoscemo wrote: »

Don't know his second name :(

Edit: scratch that, got 'im with some skillful stalking and resourceful sleuthing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

What a time. Well done. Forgetting the watch suits you.

Chip time 01:01:19....A PB and a sliver medal:)

Happy out. Will stick up a race report later.

Missed you earlier, Meno. I hope you got on OK.

And flicking back a page got me there too... :o*

Wow, well bloody done! But only a sliver of a medal? Bloody recession :mad:

* but now I know your second name.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great stuff, why bother with a watch? :)

Congrats Mark, you didn't mention the silver medal earlier!

Well done! and a medal too! nice to see you again and (finally) meet Mrs Mac :)

• Advertisement

Silver = PB.....Gold was under 1:01.....while Bronze was the fall back of a course PB :)

Don't know his second name :(

Edit: scratch that, got 'im with some skillful stalking and resourceful sleuthing ;)

:D
    aquinn wrote: »
    What a time. Well done. Forgetting the watch suits you.

Cheers A. You looked pretty happy yourself so assume you did what you set out to do.
    And flicking back a page got me there too... :o*

Wow, well bloody done! But only a sliver of a medal? Bloody recession :mad:

* but now I know your second name.....

Thanks DG. FMP :D:D

BTW met plenty of your novice crew afterwards and they all seemed to be smiling.
    Great stuff, why bother with a watch?

Cheers J. I hope you got on OK yourself. Good to see you back at it. Why bother with watch indeed:rolleyes:
    Congrats Mark, you didn't mention the silver medal earlier!

Cheers, D. Self awarded medals don't count other than in your head ;) Nice PB yourself.
    Well done! and a medal too! nice to see you again and (finally) meet Mrs Mac :)

Thanks FD. See you at the half :D

See note above re: medal:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Cracking time FBOT! Fairplay man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done M - you looked like you were just out for a stroll in the park when I met you earlier! Super time, congrats

Oh, and may I draw attention to this prescient post. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super stuff. I'm running out of PB's on you at this stage :) - well deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Impressive stuff M, very well done!

Envious of the shape you're in,

Bet you weren't talking the hind legs off everyone within earshot in the last mile of that run :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Superb running M, great to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great stuff - well done.

• Advertisement

Cracking time FBOT! Fairplay man.

Cheers NE. Careful slogging it out when you are under the weather won't help you get ready for the XC season. Will be keeping an eye out to see how it progresses for you. You seem to be mojoed up anyway.
    Duanington wrote: »
    Well done M - you looked like you were just out for a stroll in the park when I met you earlier! Super time, congrats

Cheers D. You looked pretty fresh yourself. Hopefully we can both look as fresh in 9 weeks time after the big one. Catch up with you for a few more laps around DNS over the next while.
    Oh, and may I draw attention to this prescient post. :)

Noted....I was delighted with your show of faith as it wasn't feeling it over the last few days. Had to stay off here in case I got accused of sandbagging :eek:
    Super stuff. I'm running out of PB's on you at this stage :) - well deserved.

Thanks A. Does that beat your 10M PB? Score :D Although with some of the sessions you are banging out and have planned in your new training plan it won't be long before you are bringing your "track" speed to the longer distances.

Bet you weren't talking the hind legs off everyone within earshot in the last mile of that run :)

TbL

Thanks C. Would you believe nobody wanted to talk for some reason. Just after the 9 mile mark TBB came up beside me and then just lashed on hardly even returned my Hello never mind having a civil chat.....I was like the cheek what could possibly be that important that you couldn't spare a minute for a chat :confused:
    tang1 wrote: »
    Superb running M, great to see.

Cheers B. Sensible approach taking a couple of days to let the niggle settle. Hope all is well when you get back at it tomorrow.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Great stuff - well done.

Cheers TJ.

TbL

he made up for it afterwards though :D

Brilliant time, M, a good indicator of more to come!

18/08/2015 - 15m @ 08:15 avg pace (MLR)

Before I could sleep on the advice to keep the runs short this week I got an offer to accompany Duanington on a little tour of DNS. I kicked off with 4 easy miles around St Anne's before linking up with D. Heading out through as far as Sutton and back through Donaghmede and Raheny before finishing off back in St Anne's. Let D set the pace which included a MP mile (06:45) around the parkrun course. Lovely run and as always running in company makes it all much easier.

The hip was sore afterwards but I did plenty of stretching and foam rolling to try to release it.

19/08/2015 - 5.89m @ 08:34 avg pace (Recovery)

Evening recover run on Southside while the youngest was warming up for a GAA game. Very warm and hip remained an issue. Started to get a little concerned about plan for Saturday's 10 miler.

20/08/2015 - Unscheduled Rest

Had a busy day and with the hip still very tight I decided to can the run and stick to stretching and foam rolling instead.

21/08/2015 - 7m @ 08:33 avg pace (Recovery w/8x100m Strides)

Decided that I better get out for this one to see how the hip was. Headed out at lunchtime and did a regular loop which left me doing the strides along the coast with the wind. Got the legs turning over well and the hip felt better when running faster than when I was slogging out the recovery part. Plenty more stretching and foam rolling. The rolling didn't really seem to be getting the job done so I googled "foam rolling hip flexor" only to discover that I wasn't even rolling the right area :rolleyes:

Anyway armed with my new knowledge I got back on the roller and bingo.....serious pain which gave some immediate relief in the hip and I could now start thinking about Saturday's race again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Stick the link up to save us all having to look at 20 videos

Chip Time : 01:01:19 (PB by 4 Secs)
    Overall Position : 131
    Category (M45) : 14

Prerace

Up early for brekie of Porridge, Blueberries, Raspberries and Berroca Boost then straight into stretching and foam rolling. Hip was significantly better than it had been 24 hrs previous and I was now confident that I would get the start line without significant pain although I wasn't sure how long that would last.

Got to the PP for 08:40 and strolled up to baggage area with Mrs Mc. On route I discovered that I forgot the garmin again :o. I guessed I would be running on feel so. Had a quick chat with the ever bubbly Marthastew before saying our goodbyes and good lucks. I dropped my bag and Mrs Mc headed off to find the facilities which turned out to be all the way up at the start area. Understand the logic of this but it was still quite inconvenient for those who would like to use them before dropping their bag.

Did a couple of miles warm-up along the North Road including a few strides. Bumped into KennyG and another St Anne's parkrunner here also saw Murph busy warming-up and said hello to Annapr and aquinn on my way back down to the start.

I love this race and the 10 mile distant for some reason. I think it is far enough to really test you but short enough not to prolong the agony. For any other race I might have taken a different view on the hip and made the main thing the main thing but rightly or wrongly I was going to stick to the plan....run like fock and see how it goes!

Race

Lined up in wave 1 about 10 rows back. Saw a few bods around me that I knew and reckon I was in the right zone. Hip felt OK.

From the off I stayed to the centre line of the avenue and had to do very little weaving for a change as there appeared to be very few runners in front of me that were in the wrong place. Didn't have to worry about the watch as it was safely tooked away at home :) so I just focused on the effort which was good but comfortable. Heard a conversation behind me between two MSB runners who said they were on sub 60 pace. A little hot but it was downhill so OK.

There was a good group moving up the North Road so I stayed mid pack until it broke up. Grabbed a cup of water at the water station but could get anything in at the speed I was moving and decided against slowing down to drink. Lost about 5 or 6 paces by staying on the course (path) at the turn onto Chesterfield Ave while others took to short-cuts across the grass. Maintained effort down the avenue and passed half way feeling OK.....later found out that 1st half split was 30:02 (5M PB of 29:59 :eek:). Slight stitch and twinge in the hip in mile 6 but nothing that had any real impact.

In previous outings at the Frank Duffy I have used miles 7 & 8 to bank some time for the hill in mile 9 but today I didn't feel I had the increased effort to give. I had no idea of the pace without the watch so had to go on my gut and just keep it steady. At this stage I had seen a female runner about 400m ahead and decided that she was my target for the next mile. I managed to overtake her before re-entering the park and began to focus on the hill and getting through mile 9. I was passed by a couple of guys heading up the hill but decided that there was enough targets to be had before the finish that I could still finish with a net place gain if I held firm and waited for my moment. TBB passed me just after the 9 mile marker moving well and that was one more place I had to make up.

As we rounded onto Furze Road another runner pulled up beside me and I made the decision that he was my guy and off I went. As I started to kick back he pushed on. In my head I had no thought of pain or the last 9+ miles now it was just about the next 800m and I was beating this guy or blowing up trying. Ferris in the past has given me serious grief for having enough left for sprint finishes but I just love that race for the line win or lose there is no feeling like it. I personally believe that it is pure Adrenaline and it is “energy” that cannot be tapped into any other way. I didn't have it at the 5 miler but I was all in today.

As we accelerated it brought 3/4 others guys into play one a Crusader and one in purple t. As we came alongside them these two had the same plan as me and had no thoughts of giving up their places easily. As we passed the Crusader the original guy dropped off and the Crusader joined in. We were now only 400m from home and came along side purple t. Purple t kicked back and we went shoulder to shoulder across the first mat. I gave it all I had and I think I pipped the purple t guy before the line but on the outside of the purple t guy I think the Crusader might have snok by both of us.....will have to wait for the video to check the photo finish :D

Congratulated the two lads and was buzzing from my finishing efforts. I had to wait for the text later to see my time but that was just the icing.

Bumped into Killerz and the twins heading down to support Mrs K before collecting my gear and having a quick chat with a happy and fresh looking Duanington. I then heading back down to the finishing straight to support the stream of finishers pouring in. Good strong finish from Kennyg, Annapr and Mrs Mc.

Caught up with plenty of parkrunners and boardsie afterwards all of whom seemed happy with their days work including Murph, Annapr, aquinn and Mrs K. Also managed to gate crash the Novices get together and sneak a couple of very tasty flapjacks (thanks Toulouse). Mrs Mc, Singer, Kennyg, Denis b and Toulouse all achieving PBs and taking advantage of their excellent training in recent week. Killerz, the mini Killerz, Bungy Girl and Firedance were front and centre as chief boards supporters again.

In summary, a great event well organised and well supported. Thanks to all involved. It will remain high on my agenda in future years. Now back to the main thing……….

Plenty of stretching and foam rolling afterwards. Hip seriously stiff last night and felt like an old man struggling to get out of the chair at one stage.

• Advertisement

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Stick the link up to save us all having to look at 20 videos

Here you go....
    http://videos.coreperformance.com/new-vo-movements/cpc-dem-0073.mp4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Congrats on the PB, M. Great running and strong finish. Looking good for October!

Great stuff Mark. That Crusader had a PB too so looks like everyone was helping everyone out! Great running, well deserved result.

Killerz wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB, M. Great running and strong finish. Looking good for October!

Thanks J. Race prep (VO2 Max) phase of plan starts next week so still plenty of hard work to do before October!
    Great stuff Mark. That Crusader had a PB too so looks like everyone was helping everyone out! Great running, well deserved result.

Cheers, D. Glad to hear that. I'd hate to think that he was just toying with me before passing me on the line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Chip Time : 01:01:19 (PB by 4 Secs)
    Overall Position : 131
    Category (M45) : 14

Prerace

Up early for brekie of Berroca Boost ....

.... I gave it all I had and I think I pipped the purple t guy before the line

Ah so you were juiced!!:D

Nice run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement