Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on the PB FBOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Ferris B wrote: »
    Ah so you were juiced!!:D

Nice run.

With the amount of caffeine in my system a little Berocca Boost would even be noticed :pac:
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB FBOT.

Cheers, Jake.

23/08/2015 - Rest

A walk in St Anne's with the dog is about as energetic as today got. Miserable day and only met 2 people in 45 mins in St Anne's. When the dog walkers stay away you know the weather in really bad.

Hip/glute in a jocker. Even the walk was painful. Plenty of stretching and some foam rolling in the eve.

24/08/2015 - 7.22 m @ 08:50 avg pace (General Aerobic - Slow)

Should have been 9 but had consistent pain and saw no benefit to finishing it out and took the direct route home. More stretching and rolling.

25/08/2015 - 4.25m @ 08:26 avg pace (General Aerobic - Slow)

SOS to the physio first thing and was lucky enough that she had a gap at 10am. The issue is a weak glute or in TbL language a saggy cheek. All the stretching and foam rolling in world won't fix it apparently. Need strengthening not stretching. She did a bit of work on it and gave me some exercises to do.........no quick fix option :(

She said I could run if I felt that the running wasn't making it any worse. Call was mine.

Plan had a 9m VO2 Max session in it but had an offer of company from Yaboya so had decided to swap that with Thursday 11m MLR. However when Yaboya had to reschedule I went out with no plan in my head. After the first mile I scrapped the idea on 11m and actually headed back towards the house. Things loosened out a little so I ran on by the house down to the coast. I then thought that maybe I would do the 6x800 as the leg had behaved much better at the weekend when running fast than when running slow. Never really committed to this and after about 400m I coped on and jogged home. Did the exercises and called it a day.

Wrote off the session and decided I wouldn't try it later in the week. Would stick to easy running.

26/08/2015 5.29m @ 08:51 avg pace (Recovery)

My daughter's GAA match was in Skerries this week so ended up running around Skerries while they warmed up. Wet, windy and wintery.......leg sore but no sorer at the end of the run than at the start. Actually last mile was probably a little easier than the first which at time felt like I was hobbling/limping.

Little moment of Nostalgia when I saw the lifeguards on the isolated beach packing up on a cold and wet August evening.... I was that soldier on that very beach. The nostalgic smile was wiped off my face though when I realised it was 26 years ago :eek:

27/08/2015 10.7m @ 08:55 avg pace (General Aerobic - Slow)

No pain walking around during the day which was progress. Plan had me down for 11 GA/MLR. Got a text from TbL looking for company for a slow 7 and reckoned that would work well. I could get a few in beforehand and would then have the distraction of company to finish off.

Headed the long way over to Clontarf Castle via St Anne’s to meet my date who I thought at one stage might have stood me up. When he arrived I expected him to head to the boot of the car and take out the flowers or the chocolates but instead he proceeded to drop his trousers :eek: I had to explain to him that he was not in Westmeath now and that I was not that type of guy ;) I hoped he would understand but when he then reached into the car and took out his noise reduction headphones I thought we may be in for a quiet evening. I agreed not to talk too much so he agreed to leave the headphones in the car…..I lied :D

Anyway off we went. Bumped into Ferris and he joined us for a mile or so before we headed on up to St Anne's where I gave my guest a tour of all the wonderful facilities in the park including the parkrun course and the fantastic addition that is the excellent new path along the north-east corner.

The 7 miles went by very quickly and thoroughly enjoyed the outing and the company. Thanks for the shout C. Hopefully get you again soon.

While the pain in the glute was ever present I was less conscious of it while distracted by company but when I left TbL back in the Castle and went to run home after a brief stop my hamstring cramped up. I end up walking back to the house.

More exercises and stretching.

28/08/2015 - Rest

Pain returned just walking this morning so I have decided that while the running may not be doing the glute any direct harm that I am opening myself up to other issues if I keep pushing through. My form is not right due to the pain and involves too much compromise, particularly in the early miles, to be good for me. With this in mind I am taking the weekend off to rehab the leg and hopefully get back on program from Monday. Assuming this is the case there should be no real harm done in big picture terms as this was a recovery week in the plan anyway………however, it will make me think a little longer and harder about what the right strategy should be for the Dublin Half as I certainly couldn’t afford another enforced break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

FBOT01 wrote: »
    She did a bit of work on it and gave me some exercises to do.........no quick fix option :(

Did she include shoulder bridges ? Really good for glute strength and hip stability.
    The nostalgic smile was wiped off my face though when I realised it was 26 years ago :eek:

That's how I felt about Born to Run's 40th :eek:
    and the fantastic addition that is the excellent new path along the north-east corner.

I so over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hip/glute in a jocker we headed on up to St Anne's where I gave my guest a tour of all the wonderful facilities in the park.

And you said you weren't the type, you know as well as I do the activities in St Anne's. If he says he'll bring you to the sand dunes in Dollymount on your next visit C run for the fooking hills!! Hope the glute sorts itself out for you, you were running into a nice bit of form.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Did she include shoulder bridges ? Really good for glute strength and hip stability.

I so over it

Yep I have single leg bridges as part of my homework.

I see you have moved on to trying to pick fights over on the novices thread :D

tang1 wrote: »
    And you said you weren't the type, you know as well as I do the activities in St Anne's. If he says he'll bring you to the sand dunes in Dollymount on your next visit C run for the fooking hills!! ................

You are behind the times, B. Apparently, he has been there, done that already with Murph!
    ................... Hope the glute sorts itself out for you, you were running into a nice bit of form.

Cheers

Yep I have single leg bridges as part of my homework.

Good stuff, they'll do the trick.
    I see you have moved on to trying to pick fights over on the novices thread :D

You started it :P

No running at all over the weekend. Stuck to the glute strengthening exercises and stretching. Leg was sore even walking the dog for the last few days. This morning is the first morning that I have had almost no pain walking around. Not going to rush back today. Will give it at least today and maybe even tomorrow but will decide that tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

V quiet here. How's the leg?

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    V quiet here. How's the leg?

Forgive me Father for I have sinned....it's been 2 weeks since my last run:(

The leg is on the mend. I am still doing the exercises and it seems to be getting stronger or at least the exercises feel easier so that's positive. The back is a little more complicated but doesn't appear to be anything too serious. I have had to resort to impact free exercise (cycling, swimming, yoga, etc.) to keep things ticking over. On the plus side I am back walking without a limp so all going in the right direction. If I can stay patient and not go back too soon it should be fine.

Still hopefully that I will be on the start-line of the half albeit with a less aggressive target so will catch up with you there is not before.

Thanks for asking D. Talk soon. M.

Shame to hear that M, look after the back.

Shame to hear that M, look after the back.

Cheers B. Will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Have to admit i've been slutting around with other peoples training logs. What about the water running, think you can do it in the NAC.

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Have to admit i've been slutting around with other peoples training logs. What about the water running, think you can do it in the NAC.

With a statement like that, RJM, you can expect a call for a running date from TbL any day now:)

I actually have an aqua running/hydro therapy session arranged for next week and have a lend of a float belt to allow me to do a bit myself in the pool during the week. It is supposed to be very good so will report back after I try it a couple of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

sorry to hear that, M... two weeks off for you, that must be a first. No wonder Mrs mc is out running so much :)

Hope it all gets sorted soon for you, sounds like you are being sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

glad to hear the leg is on the mend and hopefully the back will follow suit, good work on the patience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I'm confused. What happened? I thought you had a tight hip that you then found a way to ease out but leg? What's wrong with the leg? Sorry to hear that.

Didn't realise your back was part of the layoff, sorry to hear that. You can have a loan of my book after Murph has finished with it. Feel better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ouch sorry to hear this M. Good luck with the pool running. From my own experience, if you think you're doing it hard enough...you're probably not :o My base cadence/stride was definitely too slow at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Didn't realise your back was part of the layoff, sorry to hear that. You can have a loan of my book after Murph has finished with it. Feel better soon.

Didn't realise the back was at you either - sounds like a recurrence of an earlier problem? Yep, BG's book has some simple exercises for back pain referred to glute/legs, worth a look. I'll be finished with it shortly.

annapr wrote: »
    sorry to hear that, M... two weeks off for you, that must be a first. No wonder Mrs mc is out running so much :)

Hope it all gets sorted soon for you, sounds like you are being sensible.
    Firedance wrote: »
    glad to hear the leg is on the mend and hopefully the back will follow suit, good work on the patience :)
    aquinn wrote: »
    I'm confused. What happened? I thought you had a tight hip that you then found a way to ease out but leg? What's wrong with the leg? Sorry to hear that.
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ouch sorry to hear this M. Good luck with the pool running. From my own experience, if you think you're doing it hard enough...you're probably not :o My base cadence/stride was definitely too slow at first.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Didn't realise the back was at you either - sounds like a recurrence of an earlier problem? Yep, BG's book has some simple exercises for back pain referred to glute/legs, worth a look. I'll be finished with it shortly.

Cheers Folks.

The glute was/is the main problem the hip and back where the knock-on effects. The quick fix for the hip worked to get me to the start-line of the FD but as we all know the back doesn't lend itself to quick fixes. Looks like it is just some inflammation/bruising that I need to let settle itself while concentrating on solving the original issue with the glute.

Will certainly take a look at the book when your done Murph. Thanks BG.

PS....it has served as a nice reminder to me that there is nowhere to hide when you are marathon training :)

Still no running being done around here.

There are a number of positives though;
    • pretty much walking pain free now;
    • jogging the length of a GAA pitch yesterday to take up my role as Umpire with no negative effects;
    • just ran up the stairs;
    • haven't killed anyone at home ;)

So all moving in the right direction (touch wood). I have a Hydro session scheduled for tomorrow with the Physio so all going well I might try a few easy miles tomorrow evening. Not going to make a call on the half until later in the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

• jogging the length of a GAA pitch yesterday to take up my role as Umpire with no negative effects;
    • registering for Boston Marathon later today

So all moving in the right direction (touch wood). I have a Hydro session scheduled for tomorrow with the Physio so all going well I might try a few easy miles tomorrow evening. Not going to make a call on the half until later in the week.

FYP :)

is the half a target race M or just a race on the road to the marathon? in other words, is there more to loose than gain by doing it coming out of an injury?

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    FYP :)

:D:D I was saving that to have something to say tomorrow ;)

is the half a target race M or just a race on the road to the marathon? in other words, is there more to loose than gain by doing it coming out of an injury?

It is not a target race and I certainly won't be racing it if I do it. The thinking would be that if I can't get through the half at MP 5 weeks out from DCM then there is probably more to loose than gain by toeing the line on the 26th so maybe I should just dig out the pompoms, write off this cycle. keep with the rehab and reload for Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Haven't killed anyone at home .... Em can we take a vote on that please ???? :)

Confirmation of acceptance of entry just received.........happy days!!

15/09/2015 - 4m @ 08:39 avg pace (Recovery)

After a hydro session in the morning I decided to venture down to the seafront in the evening for a few miles on the grass. I can't say that the lower back/hip area was entirely pain free but the pain/discomfort was very tolerable and didn't seem to get any worse as I went. Got through a good yoga class later in the evening and all feels fine today.

Going to try a few more miles this evening. I am tending towards lining up on Saturday as it stands but that may change again before the week is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Yeay! Congrats on Boston acceptance! And sounds like some progress on the injury front too, a good day!

Would you consider running on Saturday as an easy run and just See how it goes?

• Advertisement

Deadly idea, stay with me. I won't even ask to be carried up the hill.

Boston.... woo hoo!! Don't overdo it now coming back from the injury*

*hah, love getting the chance to give you sensible advice for a change :D

Congrats on Boston M, see it pays to be an auld fella!!

Killerz wrote: »
    Yeay! Congrats on Boston acceptance! And sounds like some progress on the injury front too, a good day!

Would you consider running on Saturday as an easy run and just See how it goes?

Cheers J. No heroics plan. Might even tag along with you guys and see how Round 2 of the D3 challenge pans out :)
    aquinn wrote: »
    Deadly idea, stay with me. I won't even ask to be carried up the hill.

Might be me that is looking to be carried up the hill, A.
    Boston.... woo hoo!! Don't overdo it now coming back from the injury*

*hah, love getting the chance to give you sensible advice for a change :D

Good advice, Anna. Betcha your quoting Murph though :D
    Congrats on Boston M, see it pays to be an auld fella!!

The cheek!! I will have you know that I have the BQ of an 18 year old :P

The cheek!! I will have you know that I have the BQ of an 18 year old :P

I'm sure you do! Congrats, that's great :) good luck on Saturday whatever you decide to do. See you at the finish line flap jacks.

I'm sure you do! Congrats, that's great :) good luck on Saturday whatever you decide to do. See you at the finish line flap jacks.

Cheers FD. I wouldn't be a big one for flap jacks but might have one (or three) so as not to offend the Baker :D

I will have you know that I have the EQ of an 18 year old :P

FYP :p

FYP :p

Ouch!

Congrats on the BQ. See you Saturday.

FBOT01 wrote:
    Might be me that is looking to be carried up the hill, A.

I'd hate that.
    Brilliant on BQ. Congratulations.

• Advertisement

16/09/2015 - 5.5m @ 08:41 avg pace (Recovery)

Quad felt like they had been up and down Howth a couple of times after either the Hydro or the yoga. For a short slow run this was harder than it should have been.

Headed to the pool again in the late evening and got 15mins more deep water running done. Should have been 30mins but got the pool closing time wrong. The pool work is quite challenging but I am enjoying it. Will certainly be looking into bringing this part of my training in future.

17/09/2015 - 3.67m @ 09:08 avg pace (Recovery)

Nice pleasant run in the company of the youngest. Aware of the slight tightest in the lower back/hip but felt comfortable throughout.

More exercises and stretching later.

Might try a few more miles tomorrow just to keep everything working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Aha a pool running convert :D Glad to see things are going forward, have a good un tomorrow and hope everything stays taped together! Excellent on the BQ.

ENJOY!!!

Best of luck tomorrow M, hope the back behaves itself for you.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Aha a pool running convert :D Glad to see things are going forward, have a good un tomorrow and hope everything stays taped together! Excellent on the BQ.

ENJOY!!!

Cheers. I hope so too and I intend to :)
    Best of luck tomorrow M, hope the back behaves itself for you.

Thanks B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Enjoy tomorrow. Hope the niggles start to clear up soon.

Good luck tomorrow M... Save us a flapjack :)

So you're racing tomorrow ?
    • Don't forget your watch :rolleyes:
    • Don't eat all the flapjacks
    • Don't tell Murph I'm right behind him because I won't be
    • Do have a great race

Was about to remind you about the watch but already done. Make sure it's charged so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Good stuff on Boston M!

Hope the body holds it together and you have a good one.

I've a zimmer frame you can borrow :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck tomorrow. Hope it all goes to plan.

Advertisement