Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

10/11/2015 8m @ 08:00 avg pace (General Aerobic w/8x150 Strides)

Ran to yoga class this evening. Got the strides in along the canal before hitting the mat for a 90min Yoga Class. A few interesting new poses tried out this evening.

Had a slightly different pain with the hip this evening. Usual glute pain was less evident but instead I got an occasional sensation/shooting pain that made me feel like the leg was going to give way. Settled down after a couple of miles and had no problems with the strides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Anyone like to recommend a good Strength and Conditioning Book for Runners. I think it is time that I conceded that it is a necessary evil part of my training and started to understand what is good and what is potentially bad.

Can't recommend a book but I went to a physio in town who also does strength training. They assess you first then give you a program based on your needs. I'd absolutely recommend it because it turned out I was doing most strength exercises incorrectly. Can PM you their contact details if it's something you're interested in?

Firedance wrote: »
    Can't recommend a book but I went to a physio in town who also does strength training. They assess you first then give you a program based on your needs. I'd absolutely recommend it because it turned out I was doing most strength exercises incorrectly. Can PM you their contact details if it's something you're interested in?

Thanks AM. Sure send it on and I will check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Anyone like to recommend a good Strength and Conditioning Book for Runners. I think it is time that I conceded that it is a necessary evil part of my training and started to understand what is good and what is potentially bad.

It's called getting old M, #dealwithit.

tang1 wrote: »

do you want their contact details too then B? :pac: #yournospringchicken

#dealwithit that is so last week. I am #embracingit and the challenges it brings rather than just following the normal progression to grumpy auld git. How's aging treating you, B? Which route you planning on taking :P

#dealwithit that is so last week. I am #embracingit and the challenges it brings rather than just following the normal progression to grumpy auld git. How's aging treating you, B? Which route you planning on taking :P

Treating me grand, think i'll go the embracing route to. Seems to be working for you anyway.

11/11/2015 10.3m @ 08:01 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easyish)

The plan had 11m endurance/progression in for the evening. The plan was to peel this back a little as the total planned mileage for this week is 47 which was a bit of jump from recent weeks. Said I would be happy doing 9 but a miscalculation meant it ended up being over 10. Never got any real progression going as legs felt heavy and the wind was coming from all directions. I did up the effort levels for the last 3 miles but as these were into a stiff breeze the pace didn't significantly increase.

Felt a little light headed and nauseous at the start of this. Legs felt like they were running independently at one stage :) so stopped after 3 miles to do a system check. Happy that all was OK and that it was probably just something I ate at lunchtime I pushed on. Everything settled down from about mile 5 on. Although I had some hip reaction to the increased effort towards the end. Nothing that broke my stride.

Finish off the evening with 45 mins deep water running as part of a "run in the dark" event that was been held in conjunction with the other Mark Pollock Trust events.

12/11/2015 Rest

On the road early for work and spent most of the day in the car. Both me and the dog were glad to get for a good 4/5 mile walk when I got home this evening. Off to do me exercises now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Deep water running??? Did you take a wrong turn during the run in the dark or what?

• Advertisement

13/11/2015 10m @ 08:04 avg pace (VO2 Max 2 Sets of 2x1200/1x800 @ 5k Pace RI 180/120)

Jaysus, it was windy out there this evening. Ferris joined me for this one and I was glad of the company as it is the type of session that you could easily talk yourself out of if you had nobody there to keep you honest.

We headed out along the coast and did the first set with the wind and the second one back into it. Despite what the splits say the effort levels were significantly higher during the second set.

Paces were : 06:14/06:06/06:13/06:32/06:34/06:24

First 800 was impacted by a momentary stop while passing a dog and owner as I wasn't sure if they were joined by a lead. I think the guy thought I was asking him to put the dog on a lead when I asked "Is there a lead here somewhere?" I explained my question and he then got it. When I caught up with Ferris he was laughing away as he said he didn't know what words I used but what he heard based on the tone was "Is that dog on a f**king lead or wha?" which of course was a totally over read by Ferris :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

13/11/2015 I wasn't sure if they were joined by a lead

As suggested on my log: scissors. No doubt then :D

That's a nice session to have under the belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You could have hurdled the imaginary lead which would have really puzzled the owner (and dog too probably).

Nice splits there.

14/11/2015 4m @ 08:48 (Recovery)

Wet and windy enjoyable evening run.

15/11/2015 14m @ 08:00 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

Headed out towards Ashtown via the canal with Ferris for this one. This should have been a progression run. Legs felt heavy throughout and while the second half was slightly quicker than the first that was more down to the wind direction rather than any progression in effort.

On the positive side at just short of 47 miles it is the highest mileage week since August and I had little or no hip pain today. Maybe it was the distraction of everything else hurting that made me less aware of it but whatever the reason I was happy not to have it. Also managed to fit in pilates, yoga and a bit of deep water running so all in all a pretty good week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Very positive week there M, keep her lit!

It is weird that I am sitting here in traffic with the wind and rain battering the car, relishing the thought of getting home, putting the gear on and heading out to kick Barney's a$$ again tonight:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Can't wait for the report back so. It was grand at lunch, well ish.

It is weird that I am sitting here in traffic with the wind and rain battering the car, relishing the thought of getting home, putting the gear on and heading out to kick Barney's a$$ again tonight:pac::pac:

very weird yes, given its not actually raining.... :D

kicking Barneys ass rocks, those that whimped out will never know how much :p

Welcome to the aquinn s*itlist FD

aquinn wrote: »
    Welcome to the aquinn s*itlist FD

Ooh you don't want to be on that too long ! I was on it for a few hours once until I grovelled :D

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Ooh you don't want to be on that too long ! I was on it for a few hours once until I grovelled :D

I've been grovelling, all I'm getting are 'who is this' responses, I've blown it :D

sorry for the log hijack M!

• Advertisement

all I'm getting are 'who is this' responses

Yeah I got those too. Hang on in there :rolleyes:

I've been grovelling, all I'm getting are 'who is this' responses, I've blown it :D

sorry for the log hijack M!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Yeah I got those too. Hang on in there :rolleyes:

You should organise an aquinn s*itlist night out and sure she will be grovelling to come along and if she doesn't you can spend the night b!tching about her :P

FBOT01 wrote:
    You should organise an aquinn s*itlist night out and sure she will be grovelling to come along and if she doesn't you can spend the night b!tching about her

Let the wind always be at your front this evening.

aquinn wrote: »
    Let the wind always be at your front this evening.

I see you are on the list now too FBOT.... what night suits everyone then :D

Firedance wrote:
    I see you are on the list now too FBOT.... what night suits everyone then

You'd be lost without me.

17/11/2015 8m @ 08:30 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy??)

Took the same option as last week to run the long way around to yoga. The only problem was that 80% of the route was into the hollowing gale that was Barney. At one stage going along Alfie Byrne Road I was almost blown backward and on many occasions I was heel tapped but managed to stay upright. A good 90 minute Yoga Class followed.

18/11/2015 7m @ 08:04 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

Barney had headed off for his dinner by the time I got out. So this ended up being an dry, uneventful but enjoyable run around the block. Next up walk the dog....no rest for the wicked!!

20/11/2015 4m @ 09:24 avg pace (Recovery)

Nice easy recovery run in the company of my youngest. First time this "winter" I have put the long sleeves on. Might be time to think about double layering as that north-westerly breeze has a little bite to it.

21/11/2015 5m @ 08:25 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

RD duty in St Anne's parkrun this morning followed by coffee and a bit of supporting down at the Clontarf Half. Looked like a crisp but very nice morning out there.

Headed out for a few easy miles this evening ahead of tomorrow's pacing gig at The Gingerbread Run Half in Portarlington tomorrow. Legs felt grand and hip/glute seems to be behaving itself at the moment tw. Did me exercises when I got in just to be sure to be sure!!

Pacing 1:40 so hopefully, I can bring a few punters home on time.

21/11/2015

Pacing 1:40 so hopefully, I can bring a few punters home on time.

good luck! and ENJOY :D

+1 to that, have a good one M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

++1 supposed to be bit warmer tomorrow, so don't wear to many layers😅

Cheers and I did, thanks AM.

Cheers and I did, thanks B.
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    ++1 supposed to be bit warmer tomorrow, so don't wear to many layers😅

Cheers, I did and I never do. I am a single layer man me :), Thanks, G.

22/11/2015 `13.1m @ 07:36 avg pace (Gingerbread Run Half - Pacing 1:40) plus 3m cd.

Watch time = 1:39:34 Job done.

Lovely day for it. Good steady pace pacing gig. Ended up being three 1:40 pacers so no pressure. Nice group of about 15 pacees brought home on time with plenty of happy smiling faces afterwards.

Well organised event on a nice relatively flat course and all the money made goes to charity. Fairplay to the whole team involved and I was glad to be able to do my bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

22/11/2015 `13.1m @ 07:36 avg pace (Gingerbread Run Half - Pacing 1:40) plus 3m cd.

Lovely day for it. Good steady pace pacing gig. Ended up being three 1:40 pacers so no pressure. Nice group of about 15 pacees brought home on time with plenty of happy smiling faces afterwards.

Well organised event on a nice relatively flat course and all the money made goes to charity. Fairplay to the whole team involved and I was glad to be able to do my bit.

Nicely done M - how did the hip hold up?

Duanington wrote: »
    Nicely done M - how did the hip hold up?

Cheers D. It was actually OK while running but was a little sore before and after so still a little bit of work to do. Happy with progress to date.

didn't realise you were doing this (til I saw your Strava). Great job, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Thanks so much FBOT, not sure which pacer you were (were you wearing a hat?) i was wearing the saucony skull cap and not saying much. You guys were amazing :)

mbarr wrote: »
    Thanks so much FBOT, not sure which pacer you were (were you wearing a hat?) i was wearing the saucony skull cap and not saying much. You guys were amazing :)

Cheers M. No hat for me. I was the one who thought he recognised you and called you Dermot at one stage :D We had a good group going and you pushed on well in the end. Fairplay to you.

23/11/2015 Rest

24/11/2015 6.6m @ 08:02 avg pace (General Aerobic w/2 sets of 6x100m strides 3mins between sets)

Ran to Yoga and did the strides in the last mile on some side streets off NCR. Was going to do them along the canal but the pleasant November temperatures meant that there is still plenty of Al Fresco drinking going on along the tow path so I didn't want to be disturbing the party.

Tough enough yoga/pilates class that was very hip focused so hips got a good workout and I could really feel it afterwards.

25/11/2015 4m @ 08:43 avg pace (Recovery)

Lunchtime recovery along the coast and up through St Anne's. Hips a little tight but nothing that effected the run in any way.

• Advertisement

26/11/2015 - Rest

27/11/2015 - 9.6m @ 08:07 avg pace (VO2 Max 2x1200/2x1000/1x800 @5k Pace 70% Time Rec)

Last session of the plan as next week is race week. Headed out earlier evening with Ferris to squeeze this in between work and a night out with Mrs Mc. Another windy evening along the seafront. As with the last one of these we did the faster stuff between the causeway and sutton along the tarmac path. The 2x1200 were with the wind while the rest where back into the wind. Ignored the watch other than to check distance and ran at what I considered a good 5k effort. I was surprised that lungs were burning more than the legs for most of it. This may be down to a minor dose of the sniffles that meant I was breathing through my mouth only and the air was pretty cold.

Session broke down as follows:
    Distance|Time|Pace
    1200|4:22|5:51
    1200|4:24|5:54
    1000|3:51|6:07
    1000|3:49|6:04
    800|3:06|5:59

I was happy with how this went and felt much more in control than the last one of these a few weeks ago.

28/11/2015 - 4m @ 08:38 avg pace (Recovery)

Nice recovery run around one of the usual local loops. Windy but not cold. Very refreshing.

Cracking stuff, well done the both of ye. Looking good.

29/11/2015 - 11m @ 08:02 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

After 9 very windy holes on the golf course headed out for this one in the company of Ferris. One of those runs that could have been a chore if done solo with no distraction from the wind but instead was a lovely relaxed enjoyable outing.

30/11/2015 - Rest with 1 hr of Pilates in the evening

01/12/2015
    - 4.1m @ 08:12 avg pace (General Aerobic w/4x100m Strides)
    - Yoga 1.5hrs
    - 3.6m @ 07:19 avg pace (General Aerobic w/2m @ not quite HMP)

No lift home from yoga tonight so decided to run there and back and break the planned 7m up accordingly. Did the strides at the end of the run over and left the 2m @ HMP for the way home. It was a tough enough class and I felt a bit knackered hitting the road home. Agreed with myself that I wouldn't look at the watch and that I wouldn't bust a gut during HMP miles either. The HMP miles ended up at 06:45 and 06:35 so not to unhappy with that as I also had a bit of the wind to deal with.

Fair play, although as you hinted there, Pilates is a good enough workout to justify recovery to easy pace afterwards. Always felt the legs were a bit wobbly after a good class. (Must get back into it).

02/12/2015 - 4m @ 09:20 avg pace (Recovery)

Evening recovery run in the company of my youngest. 20mins+ of her moaning about her sore legs that were about to fall off and about how much she hates running kept me amused and ensured a relaxing outing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

02/12/2015 - 4m @ 09:20 avg pace (Recovery)

Evening recovery run in the company of my youngest. 20mins+ of her moaning about her sore legs that were about to fall off and about how much she hates running kept me amused and ensured a relaxing outing :)

And then you come home to your mrs giving out about her sore calves and her crappy run ..... Poor you !!!!

Best of luck in Waterford tomorrow M, as you say yourself Enjoy it.

ooh yes GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!! embrace the rain....

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Good luck :)

Best of luck in Waterford tomorrow M, as you say yourself Enjoy it.
    ooh yes GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!! embrace the rain....
    mbarr wrote: »
    Good luck :)

Cheers Folks. Unfortunately a good friend of mine's Mother died suddenly yesterday so I will be opting out of Waterford tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement